L.A. Spine Group Surgeons Discuss Robert Quinn's Back Surgery Recovery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LOS ANGELES, CA (PRWEB) FEBRUARY 25, 2016
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/01/prweb13191583.htm

According to a January 8 ESPN article about defensive end Robert Quinn of the St. Louis Rams, the football star is currently in recovery from back surgery to correct an unspecified injury. According to Quinn, he is up and walking again and focusing on his rehabilitation. Some form of back strain and spine injuries are inherent to all sports, particularly from the grueling physical contact that is routine in professional football. Many star athletes are forced to take some time off over the course of their careers to heal and recover from injuries that can range from mild muscle strains and tears, to more serious damage to the spine, joints, and lower back. Orthopedic spine surgeons Dr. Sanjay Khurana and Dr. Rojeh Melikian from the Los Angeles Spine Group discuss the effects and recovery time needed for spine surgery.

“Spine injuries and chronic back pain are not at all uncommon among professional athletes, especially football players. With reports suggesting that he was previously suffering from hip and knee problems before his back surgery, Robert Quinn was most likely suffering from progressive damage that impacted his ability to continue performing without surgical intervention,” said Dr. Sanjay Khurana, a board-certified orthopedic spine surgeon at Los Angeles Spine Group.

Quinn had notably missed playing in several games of the 2015 season while trying to identify the source of his problems, stating that he attributed his symptoms to “getting old.”

“Thanks to technology and developments like robotic spine surgery, back surgery is now less invasive than ever before. Depending on the nature and extent of pressure and injury to the spine, many people are healing and recovering from surgery for back pain faster and more successfully than ever before,” added Dr. Rojeh Melikian. “Conventional wisdom used to dictate that physical decline and pain, especially where the back and spine were concerned, were inevitable with age. And while it may be true that many conditions are more common as we get older, staying active, maintaining a healthy weight, and seeking treatment for problems like chronic pain can really make a difference in how well we age.”

Dr. Sanjay Khurana is a board-certified and fellowship trained pediatric and adult orthopedic spine surgeon in Los Angeles. He specializes in minimally invasive and robotic spine surgery procedures with an emphasis on degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, spinal stenosis, scoliosis and spinal deformity, spinal instability, spine trauma, spine tumors and spondylolisthesis. Dr. Khurana completed his undergraduate degree at the University of California at Berkeley and his medical school and orthopedic surgery residency at The Stanford University School of Medicine. Dr. Khurana completed his combined orthopedic and neurosurgical training at the prestigious University of Miami / Jackson Memorial spine fellowship under the mentorship of Dr. Frank Eismont and Dr. Barth Green.

To learn more about Dr. Sanjay Khurana, please call 310.321-4333 or visit http://www.laspinegroup.com.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is a big question mark, backs are tricky things and while I have no trouble with mine I've know people with varying degrees of problems and even different types of results from surgery for pretty much the same issue. This is a big deal for him and I hope he's able to get back at it like he was before. The DL is excellent without him but of course even better with him.

He's had his share of maladies and it sucks because he is such a likable dude.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
According to Quinn, he is up and walking again and focusing on his rehabilitation.

Holy crap, I didn't realize his injury was this severe.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Lets hope this doesn't effect getting a QB if we decide to draft one on day 1 ugh

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Surgically repaired Backs usually are never the same:(. I would suggest that Fisher & Gregg place Quinn in Longs & Hayes LDE spot this season so the back issues created from all those years twisting leaning downward on that left side has some time of from that RDE side.

I been saying for a while now that a DE prospect speed rusher could well be on the agenda with that #15 first rd selection. I know that we need offense but if one of those DE falls........

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This article wasn't encouraging at all. It sounds career threatening.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is a big question mark, backs are tricky things and while I have no trouble with mine I've know people with varying degrees of problems and even different types of results from surgery for pretty much the same issue. This is a big deal for him and I hope he's able to get back at it like he was before. The DL is excellent without him but of course even better with him.

He's had his share of maladies and it sucks because he is such a likable dude.

Yep Rob would seem to be & is a great guy to hang with doing just plain good stuff. He has had his share of major scares already. When need him healthy in the worse way in 2016.

Just angers me that OL'ers and the refs sure permitted large amounts of holding & pure molestations since he arrived onto the NFL scene.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Oh man. I've had back issues and once you do damage I think it's all the more likely it will reoccur. I sure hope for his sake it isn't but this is very concerning.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I got the impression these doctors were just giving their opinions about back injuries in general and new treatments available. And, that neither of them has actually examined Quinn.

It would be nice to hear something from the Rams or even Quinn in more detail about his recovery.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I walked 3 flights of stairs one day after having a disc replacement, and plates put in my lower back. This is scary.

fearsomefour

Legend
LOS ANGELES, CA (PRWEB) FEBRUARY 25, 2016
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/01/prweb13191583.htm

According to a January 8 ESPN article about defensive end Robert Quinn of the St. Louis Rams, the football star is currently in recovery from back surgery to correct an unspecified injury. According to Quinn, he is up and walking again and focusing on his rehabilitation. Some form of back strain and spine injuries are inherent to all sports, particularly from the grueling physical contact that is routine in professional football. Many star athletes are forced to take some time off over the course of their careers to heal and recover from injuries that can range from mild muscle strains and tears, to more serious damage to the spine, joints, and lower back. Orthopedic spine surgeons Dr. Sanjay Khurana and Dr. Rojeh Melikian from the Los Angeles Spine Group discuss the effects and recovery time needed for spine surgery.

“Spine injuries and chronic back pain are not at all uncommon among professional athletes, especially football players. With reports suggesting that he was previously suffering from hip and knee problems before his back surgery, Robert Quinn was most likely suffering from progressive damage that impacted his ability to continue performing without surgical intervention,” said Dr. Sanjay Khurana, a board-certified orthopedic spine surgeon at Los Angeles Spine Group.

Quinn had notably missed playing in several games of the 2015 season while trying to identify the source of his problems, stating that he attributed his symptoms to “getting old.”

“Thanks to technology and developments like robotic spine surgery, back surgery is now less invasive than ever before. Depending on the nature and extent of pressure and injury to the spine, many people are healing and recovering from surgery for back pain faster and more successfully than ever before,” added Dr. Rojeh Melikian. “Conventional wisdom used to dictate that physical decline and pain, especially where the back and spine were concerned, were inevitable with age. And while it may be true that many conditions are more common as we get older, staying active, maintaining a healthy weight, and seeking treatment for problems like chronic pain can really make a difference in how well we age.”

Dr. Sanjay Khurana is a board-certified and fellowship trained pediatric and adult orthopedic spine surgeon in Los Angeles. He specializes in minimally invasive and robotic spine surgery procedures with an emphasis on degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, spinal stenosis, scoliosis and spinal deformity, spinal instability, spine trauma, spine tumors and spondylolisthesis. Dr. Khurana completed his undergraduate degree at the University of California at Berkeley and his medical school and orthopedic surgery residency at The Stanford University School of Medicine. Dr. Khurana completed his combined orthopedic and neurosurgical training at the prestigious University of Miami / Jackson Memorial spine fellowship under the mentorship of Dr. Frank Eismont and Dr. Barth Green.

To learn more about Dr. Sanjay Khurana, please call 310.321-4333 or visit http://www.laspinegroup.com.
NERDS!!

fearsomefour

Legend
From a January 6th article on ESPN....

And though Quinn wouldn't describe the exact nature of the back injury, he said whatever it was yielded issues in his leg that were immediately solved by the surgery he had a few weeks ago.

"I’m able to get around, sit down more comfortable," Quinn said. "It’s a lot of relief. It sucked the way it ended and just jumped on me, but I’ll deal with it and move on to next year."

As with most back surgeries, it's going to take some recovery time before Quinn is cleared to begin strenuous activities. As of this week, Quinn is still in the rest phase of his rehabilitation, which means no lifting weights or running, and a whole lot of relaxation.

Quinn doesn't know when he will be cleared to do those things again and hinted that he'd miss a chunk of the offseason program, which usually begins in mid-April.""

That was more than a month ago, resting and recovering.
So, if he is late getting back into shape it stands to reason he may or may not be up to full strength by preseason. I would guess probably not. There would be a good amount of strength lost that would have to be regained.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I get attached to rams players like a second family. I don't want to see any of them end up like Earl Campbell. Robert "i thought we weren't going to let this guy wreck the game" Quinn, If you gotta hang em up to make sure you can still walk 18 holes into your gray hair years....then hang them up! And thank you for the memories.