L.A. Rams 2016 season predictions: QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

When will Goff start?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_0d47fcd9650e447b87b03652ba4498b3~mv2.jpg

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2016/08/31/LA-Rams-2016-season-predictions-QB-Jared-Goff

August 31, 2016 | By: Jake Ellenbogen

The actual football season is almost here and here at Downtown Rams we feel it's time to start predicting how the season will go for these players. Let's continue on in this series with the Rams signal caller Jared Goff.

The Rams mortgaged their future on the 21-year-old from California and they are in for a process as Head coach Jeff Fisher puts it. Jared Goff is going into his first year in the NFL and it's the first time in his life he won't open a regular season as the team's starter. Goff bypassed his senior year of college to end up going number one overall after a monumental trade up to the spot from the Los Angeles Rams. This is the Rams first season back in L.A. since 1994 which after they moved the team to St. Louis. Goff is considered "not ready" for the NFL game as of today but, down the road that could change and I personally expect it will.

For many, Goff is considered behind where he should be but, he really isn't. Keep in mind it took Pro Football Focus' number one overall player in the NFL Aaron Donald until week six for him to start. The Rams offensive face Todd Gurley it took until week four of his rookie year to start, The Rams all-time receiving leader Isaac Bruce didn't start at any point his rookie season, Rams all-time leading rusher Steven Jackson only started three games his rookie season. You get my point, Goff has plenty of time. You know who did start his rookie season? Sam Bradford. I am not going to even go there...

Here is how I see the rookie's season playing out:

Season Recap:

As I previously wrote in the last article about the Rams starter Case Keenum, I expect Goff to take over a 5-2 team after the bye week which is week eight this year for the Rams. So week nine Goff comes in and continues on the Rams path of winning. I am not saying he is going to be unstoppable by any means but I think by week nine he will be ready. Every day he continues to get better so by week nine he will be able to put it together in games. There is no doubting the talent Goff possesses it's the fact he has to get used to the speed of the NFL game to get comfortable and adopt his own way of playing the quarterback position. He is clearly thinking too much on the field so the qualities he had at California where he showed great pocket presence, arm accuracy and his aggressiveness in taking shots down the field are not going to shine through right away.

Read more..

FrankenRam

Starter
I've begun to believe it's not all about Goff and how ready he might be. I'm starting to think Fisher may be wanting to get a read on how the OL is likely to shake out and how well he thinks they might be able to protect him.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
"My Final Thoughts About Jared Goff " not being ready to start opening day....

I never thought JG would be ready, as in have a special rookie season taking the league by storm as the starter. I absolutely thought he could be tutored and coached up well enough to edge out Case Keenum and be the starter on opening day.

From the beginning of OTA's it has been well documented by coach Fisher.. "Case is our starter and Jared will play when he's ready."

There was never any urgency, suspense or even a hint of competition from the start. Fisher and his assistants (Weinke/Boras) must have known there was a possibility from the day they drafted him that they might not be equipped or experienced enough to get him in a position to challenge CK in his rookie debut.

Or maybe they quietly knew all along from their initial scouting that JG was going to need a redshirt year but obviously would never expose that mindset to the media after moving from so far back all the way up to the #1 spot.

Mentioning anything like that would've made the Rams an NFL media circus clown because teams do not trade up from from that far back in the NFL draft for a QB, unless their brain trust believed he was in mix from the first conversation to likely be the teams starting quarterback on opening day of the regular season.

Fisher has stayed the course and protected himself and his staff quite well from the pressure of being able to get their franchise QB coached up well enough to beat out CK and now its become reality. CK will start the season and he will continue to start unless the Rams go on a 3 game loosing streak and or the passing game begins to look more of the same like it did in 2015.

To be fair to Fisher and his offensive assistants and so I don't sound like I'm some message board qb whisperer, JG may be a slower study than I projected and its much more on him than the coaching staff. Its possible that JG just never was going to be ready his rookie season no matter who the coaching staff or the team that drafted him was.

My personal observations and guess makes me believe its more on this coaching staff but we will never really know because Goff will never get a mulligan in his rookie season with a different team or more experienced QB friendly coaching staff at his expense....

carson%2Bwertz.jpg

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I selected next year.
A year to learn and the Rams will be a playoff team.
Suck it Whiners.
Peter King sucks.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
It'll be mid to late this year or next. Hard Knocks might be formatted for your tv screen and as much as it sucks to say this, I think Goff has a way to go.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really Jake? You too? Gotta call you on this one. Please tell me how the future has been mortgaged.

By the way, I voted game 1.
That goes out the window imo bc I don't Fisher is sneaky anymore. If he was Carson Wentz would be the headline of this article not Jared Goff

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think that if Goff had to play he would do just fine. He would be right in line with some other recent rook QBs in terms of overall QB rating/stats by years' end too. First game or two might be hairy, but he'd adjust quickly and more importantly so would the OCs in terms of playing to his strengths and tailoring the gameplan for him to succeed. That always happens with rook QBs... They get the offense they can handle and with the Rams and Gurley in the backfield I don't think adjusting the offense to the kid would be a problem.

Another thing being overlooked is that usually a top QB is drafted by a bad team and often a new regime. They don't have that thought process of worrying about winning early like a head coach in year 5 of a 5 year deal in the second largest market in the US. It's APPLES vs ORANGES.

Way I see it the kid would probably give us more wins over the season if he started game one. Why? Because he's gonna get better with the live snaps. But whatever, I understand and have accepted that Fish is going to start Case and admit that the way Case has played he deserves it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher wants the sure thing, and Goff is not that at this point. It seems that he is playing the strategy of a struggling HC picking the rookie 1st round QB to develop, and thereby gets another couple of years to turn it around by the owner. I just think its BS to watch and :"learn".....Goff will only really learn, by doing. When will this happen after Preseason? Keenum will get all of the Reps, unless the losing mounts and then the kid will be given one week of reps with the starters, then Fisher will say "Go get 'em, tiger!"

every game Goff doesn't start, is one game further away from him being a good QB, imo.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If the TEAM is winning with Keenum, I'd hope that Goff rides the bench up until a potential injury to Keenum.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Caught between a rock and a hard place. Keenum is probably the best chance to win now but Goff is the best chance to win long term. The longer you wait for him the longer it will take to start winning.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
227364_0d47fcd9650e447b87b03652ba4498b3~mv2.jpg

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2016/08/31/LA-Rams-2016-season-predictions-QB-Jared-Goff

August 31, 2016 | By: Jake Ellenbogen

The actual football season is almost here and here at Downtown Rams we feel it's time to start predicting how the season will go for these players. Let's continue on in this series with the Rams signal caller Jared Goff.

The Rams mortgaged their future on the 21-year-old from California and they are in for a process as Head coach Jeff Fisher puts it. Jared Goff is going into his first year in the NFL and it's the first time in his life he won't open a regular season as the team's starter. Goff bypassed his senior year of college to end up going number one overall after a monumental trade up to the spot from the Los Angeles Rams. This is the Rams first season back in L.A. since 1994 which after they moved the team to St. Louis. Goff is considered "not ready" for the NFL game as of today but, down the road that could change and I personally expect it will.

For many, Goff is considered behind where he should be but, he really isn't. Keep in mind it took Pro Football Focus' number one overall player in the NFL Aaron Donald until week six for him to start. The Rams offensive face Todd Gurley it took until week four of his rookie year to start, The Rams all-time receiving leader Isaac Bruce didn't start at any point his rookie season, Rams all-time leading rusher Steven Jackson only started three games his rookie season. You get my point, Goff has plenty of time. You know who did start his rookie season? Sam Bradford. I am not going to even go there...

Here is how I see the rookie's season playing out:

Season Recap:

As I previously wrote in the last article about the Rams starter Case Keenum, I expect Goff to take over a 5-2 team after the bye week which is week eight this year for the Rams. So week nine Goff comes in and continues on the Rams path of winning. I am not saying he is going to be unstoppable by any means but I think by week nine he will be ready. Every day he continues to get better so by week nine he will be able to put it together in games. There is no doubting the talent Goff possesses it's the fact he has to get used to the speed of the NFL game to get comfortable and adopt his own way of playing the quarterback position. He is clearly thinking too much on the field so the qualities he had at California where he showed great pocket presence, arm accuracy and his aggressiveness in taking shots down the field are not going to shine through right away.

Read more..
Following your Train of thought, If Goff where to come in after the Bye week, and the Team has a 5-2 Record, Unless Keenum is Hurt or Played Badly prior to the Break, I would start Goff just to make a change! " Why change Horses in the middle of a race if your winning!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I expect Goff to take over a 5-2 team after the bye week which is week eight this year for the Rams.
No way Fish snatches Case if we're 5-2....unless, we're 5-2 and Case just threw 5 int's in the last game....

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
No way Fish snatches Case if we're 5-2....unless, we're 5-2 and Case just threw 5 int's in the last game....

I would hope not, but Tom Coughlin did it with Eli. Warner and the Giants had a winning record when Eli was given the starting job. I always that it was stupid, but it could have been because I was (obviously) a huge fan of Kurt.

TexasRam

Legend
Goff will start when one of the following happens:

1 Kennum gets injured. Which is very very likely. I heard somewhere that 19 teams used multiple Qb's last year. So there is a 59% chance Keenum goes down.

2 Pressure from Outside. If Keenum struggles fans and media will begin to question why Goff is not in there. Fisher has to worry what Kroenke's perception of the situation is and will have to cave. I figure it will take 2 bad games in a row or one really really bad game.

If the Rams win early and keep winning there is no way Jared sees the field. It will take losses or injury.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tom Coughlin did it with Eli. Warner and the Giants had a winning record
I'm not certain, but it was maybe 6-4...5-4....something like that...so close, and if that was the case, I think we snatch Case unless he's balling out....

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really Jake? You too? Gotta call you on this one. Please tell me how the future has been mortgaged.

By the way, I voted game 1.

Because if he doesnt work out we traded 2 first round picks a 2nd a 3rd and more so yeah thats a lot to give up if he doesnt work out