Kyren’s versatility won out…who can/will help him?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Kyren Williams has quickly become the Rams' RB1. The quality that I'd say has put him in that position, more than any other, is his ability to perform all three roles needed from a RB: running, receiving, and pass blocking.

Right now, the Rams can't afford to be predictable. Playing a RB who is not adept at all three roles, therefore, is a big problem, as he can telegraph what the offense is doing simply by being on the field.

Perhaps, in addition to his attitude, this was one of the problems the Rams saw in Cam Akers. Akers played 28 snaps in Week 1. 22 of those plays were handoffs to him. Williams, by contrast, played 53 plays with only 15 runs. Clearly, that type of usage is going to result in predictability, or the lack thereof, based upon personnel.

Williams can't do it alone. So, my question is... which of the other RBs can spell him without becoming a "tell" for what the offense is doing?

Not a lot of data here to work with.

Ronnie Rivers likely can handle the pass-catching role. He was used in that role quite a bit in college, as he had 150 receptions in his career at Fresno State. Not sure how capable he is in the pass blocking role, though. He's pretty small. Anyone have any observations there?

Royce Freeman is much bigger, and seems (from my cursory research) to have a good track record as a pass blocker. As a receiver, he's okay (had 43 receptions in 2019). He's not a great runner, though (3.7 career ypc), and certainly not much of a big play threat.

The wildcard for me is Zach Evans. I think he could be the most talented pure runner in the Rams' RB room. He has little experience as a receiver, though (30 receptions total in three years of college). I've seen some pre-draft scouting reports that asserted he had good pass blocking skills, but it remains to be seen if he can handle that role at the pro level.

So... who's the best Swiss Army Knife to help Kyren out?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I like the toughness Rivers runs with. But he doesn't seem to be a change of pace. His running style seems similar to Williams. This may not be the year we see much from Evans. But he does have more pure running back type talent than the others. For now they will have to lean on Williams with Rivers giving him some rest when needed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Once Training Camp began I was in the category of cutting the Little River Band. Felt RB Ronnie Rivers was too small and it seemed he even looked smaller in pads, if that is possible.

However, during preseason I was amazed of his strength plus being able to make the first guy miss & he does have the ability to catch the ball too. Royce Freeman is a good number 3 because he is bigger, however, more of a plodder, but also can catch the football and is also very good in pass pro.

Not sure if they will add someone else, but the triumphant of Williams, Rivers & Freeman is where we stand now.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I like Williams, but we are The Los Angeles Rams.
That means, find the Bell Cow running back. He is not here yet, but our history shows the best running back in the NFL is very often, a RAM.
Gurley was our last one and we seen what McVay can do with someone like him.
I am quite certain at least one of those 1sts or 2nds in the next two years will be a attempt at finding the next big Rams RB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Williams and Akers would have been an acceptable 1>2 in the backfield. What we have now is probably too dependent on Williams however.

I have not liked any of our RB decisions under McVay. Because the only guy that was any good was Gurley, who was a Fisher pick.

Now maybe things turn out well for us this time around with Williams. But Rivers is likely a jag. And Evans hasn't shown much. So to me it feels like everything is riding on Williams. Who seems poised to be the first good RB addition in his tenure.

Hoping he stays healthy but going forward they should be adding solid late round additions in every draft. Prioritize production and stability. We don't need a rare talent. Yes it would be nice but bare minimum just fill that backfield with tough and dependable types who have enough passcatchy to them for McVay.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Promote Evans to RB2/3 now and draft a top RB in 2024. Let's see what the kids got ...

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I’d take a flyer on someone like Fournette. Bigger back to handle some short yardage/goalline situations.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Williams and Akers would have been an acceptable 1>2 in the backfield. What we have now is probably too dependent on Williams however.

I have not liked any of our RB decisions under McVay. Because the only guy that was any good was Gurley, who was a Fisher pick.

Now maybe things turn out well for us this time around with Williams. But Rivers is likely a jag. And Evans hasn't shown much. So to me it feels like everything is riding on Williams. Who seems poised to be the first good RB addition in his tenure.

Hoping he stays healthy but going forward they should be adding solid late round additions in every draft. Prioritize production and stability. We don't need a rare talent. Yes it would be nice but bare minimum just fill that backfield with tough and dependable types who have enough passcatchy to them for McVay.
Seems like after Gurley we’ve gone with a committee philosophy, so one injury doesn’t take out your whole season.

oldnotdead

Legend
I see them drafting a RB next year. RB is the easiest position to transition from college to the NFL. It's a matter of learning the playbook. Until then I see it as Williams, Freeman and Evans.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd be curious to see more of Evans but what has he done to show he's capable of a larger role?

Nothing yet, but you have to start somewhere, especially once that RB room starts getting depleted.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like after Gurley we’ve gone with a committee philosophy, so one injury doesn’t take out your whole season.
Committee of backs we couldn't count on. Which is doing it wrong.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Would love for us to put a proper fullback out there to mix it up a bit. I think McVay could do some good things with a FB/RB in backfield. Then again I been screaming for us to run some pitch outs for the last 3 years... (We've seen at least 3 so far this year) so I'm sure we'll see a FB deployed in 2026

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would love for us to put a proper fullback out there to mix it up a bit. I think McVay could do some good things with a FB/RB in backfield. Then again I been screaming for us to run some pitch outs for the last 3 years... (We've seen at least 3 so far this year) so I'm sure we'll see a FB deployed in 2026
FB relates to the dueling genius thing McVay and Ratboy have going on. Two top offensive minds from the same tree who have used different approaches to ensure their offenses benefit from the run game.

Ratboy went the FB route and fully embraced underneath threats with interchangeable parts in WR and RB rooms. This approach has been far more successful in establishing the run, which allows for lesser QBs.

McVay is more conventional, stretching the field vertically to gain space and using wideouts, sometimes even as lead blockers. His run game usually sucks, he gets passhappy often, and Ratboy usually out-duels him, but he has the Super Bowl ring.

So embracing the FB in some ways would feel like he is philosophically throwing in the towel. That said he did draft one but only one.

Thankfully it now feels like he has the right approach, which is "fix the fucking OL."

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Considering the fact that our presumed RB1 (Akers) imploded/was traded, and a veteran backup (Michel) unexpectedly retired, we’re In reasonably good shape.

I wonder, though… had we known this would happen, would RB have been more of a priority in last April’s draft?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Zach’s ball security is my biggest worry with him.
I bet it’s McVay’s issue too. Either way, Evans isn’t that much bigger than Williams.

Williams is 5’-9” and 194 lbs.
Zach Evans is 5’-11” and 203 lbs.
Ron Rivera is 5’-9” and 195 lbs.
Royce Freeman is 6’ and 238 lbs

Evans had some injuries in college too. I guess that if he’s ready and a capable pass blocker then they could split carries, with Williams, (same with Rivers)but I’d rather see someone bigger who can spell Williams late in games. Freeman is built more like a tank. I’d think he’d be suited for late game reps if the Rams lead.
Maybe it’s just me but now that the 49ers have McCaffrey, it doesn’t seem like Juscyk is deployed as often. He’s not making as many plays as he used to. Week 1 he was in on 62% of plays and in week 2 he was in on 42% of offensive plays.
Considering the fact that our presumed RB1 (Akers) imploded/was traded, and a veteran backup (Michel) unexpectedly retired, we’re In reasonably good shape.

I wonder, though… had we known this would happen, would RB have been more of a priority in last April’s draft?
I just posted the same thing on the Akers thread. Maybe they would have drafted a RB earlier if they had moved on from him last year.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I see them drafting a RB next year. RB is the easiest position to transition from college to the NFL. It's a matter of learning the playbook. Until then I see it as Williams, Freeman and Evans.

Give me Teyvon Henderson please