Kurt Warner - Will the Rams repeat as the NFL's #1 Defense? and Aaron Donald could be the best interior pass-rusher the NFL has ever seen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great video. What's great is that Kurt has lost the disgusting Cardinal uniform in the background. He has the only blue and yellow uniform and the gold and blue one afterwards. Come back, Kurt...

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great video. What's great is that Kurt has lost the disgusting Cardinal uniform in the background. He has the only blue and yellow uniform and the gold and blue one afterwards. Come back, Kurt...
I love that he is breaking down our division.
hoping he continues it during season

oldnotdead

Legend
A lot will depend upon Morris and how he envisions what he will run. Warner pointed out the flaw in the scheme which is quick underneath passing. Now that teams have a book on this scheme it will be harder to implement successfully without Morris' own wrinkles. That's why it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he went with a more conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme. He can keep elements of Staley's disguise of the actual play but we also saw how if the DBs make a coverage mistake in their reads the D gets blownup. The scheme is complcated and subject to breakdowns. Morris may opt for something a bit more conventional to make the play more consistent. He's got 2 very good boundary CBs and 3 very good safeties, and an effective 4 man rush. That's a lot to work with.

Either way, he doesn't have to have the #1 defense, because as long as it's a top 5 unit this team would be primed for a run at the Lombardi.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Warner pointed out the flaw in the scheme which is quick underneath passing. Now that teams have a book on this scheme it will be harder to implement successfully without Morris' own wrinkles.
Wouldn't call it a flaw, It's the way the scheme is designed.
They are willing to give up the shorter stuff as long as the D flys to the ball and makes the tackle.
The Rams want teams to have to dink and dunk their way down the field, betting that offenses
will make a mistake while having to run more plays to score.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Either way, he doesn't have to have the #1 defense, because as long as it's a top 5 unit this team would be primed for a run at the Lombardi.
I asked this question on another thread- Would you rather have the #1 ranked defense that came in 10th in
creating turnovers? (this was our rankings from last year)

Or would you rather have the #10 rank defense, that was number #1 in creating turnovers?

IMHO I wouldn't mind seeing a more aggressive attack, that would create more turnovers.
I think we have a defensive backfield that would allow for more blitzing and aggressiveness at
the line of scrimmage. Either way Morris has options.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I doubt we will be #1 again this year. Being the #1 defense in the NFL two years in a row is tough. Players and coaches leave and new ones are brought in. Injuries happen. Plus 31 other teams are trying to get better every year as well.

If we had kept Staley I'd say we would still slide from that 2020 #1 ranked defense. I don't think it would be much and i think we would still be top 8 and I expect that same thing with Morris this year.

If the offense can get back to scoring 30+ ppg that should help the defense the most.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
If the offense can get back to scoring 30+ ppg that should help the defense the most.
That's a great point that can easily be forgotten at times. We struggled offensively, last year
and yet had an elite D.
I believe that our offensive woes forced us to play low risk D.
If our offense takes off like I think it will, that will allow
us to be more aggressive defensively.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
That's a great point that can easily be forgotten at times. We struggled offensively, last year
and yet had an elite D.
My thoughts exactly my friend

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Rams were the #1 D last year? I didn't know that. I work with a Patsies-turned-Bucs fan at work. You'd almost never know he was a Pats fan with all the Bucs smack he talks.

He keeps telling me Brady will win another ring this year. I keep telling him Brady won't even make it past the Rams. Tomorrow I will tell him Rams have the best D. That will stir him up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams were the #1 D last year? I didn't know that. I work with a Patsies-turned-Bucs fan at work. You'd almost never know he was a Pats fan with all the Bucs smack he talks.

He keeps telling me Brady will win another ring this year. I keep telling him Brady won't even make it past the Rams. Tomorrow I will tell him Rams have the best D. That will stir him up.
Also tell him that the Buccs got their ass kicked last year by the Rams...

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Make no mistake... the Bucs are returning ALL of their starters and are the favorite to win it all next year. They have a great defense and plenty of offensive weapons. In fact... Brady may be the weakest link on offense if his play continues to decline.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Make no mistake... the Bucs are returning ALL of their starters and are the favorite to win it all next year. They have a great defense and plenty of offensive weapons. In fact... Brady may be the weakest link on offense if his play continues to decline.
The mistake they avoided was not running into us in the playoffs last year. The Rams are the Buccs kryptonite!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt we repeat as the number one defense, but it almost doesn't matter. All that matters is how they perform in the playoffs

MachS

Hall of Fame
We'll regress a bit on D, but the offense and special teams will be better this year. So we should be a better overall team. I'm just thankful we get to watch AD his entire prime and hopefully career. When it's all said and done he might be the best defensive player ever. A case could be made now, but if he wins one more DPOY no one could argue.

jjab360

Legend
and yet had an elite D.
Part of what helped our defense was because our offense was so passive last year. They had very few quick strike scores or big down field plays on offense and the long, methodical drives are what helped give our defense a breather and win the time of possession battle.