Kurt Warner: What Part of Shaun Hill’s Game Is A Difference-Maker?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Good analysis by Kurt on Hill & Bradford, & the difference between the two. Many times, I've seen / read how Bradford has the open man down field, but opts for the check-down; the difference with Hill is he has the experience & confidence in himself & his WR corps to make the play.
...although, I'd love to take back the "experienced veteran" pass he tried to make at the end of the SD game :cry: oh well, he's making up for it over the last 2 games.

moklerman

Warner-phile
While Bradford may not be aggressive enough at times, I'm still comfortable with him growing from this direction. I'd rather he be safe with the ball and work more aggressiveness into his game than trying to get a guy to cut down on his turnovers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
While Bradford may not be aggressive enough at times, I'm still comfortable with him growing from this direction. I'd rather he be safe with the ball and work more aggressiveness into his game than trying to get a guy to cut down on his turnovers.

The problem with that theory, and most of the sports talking heads and former players will agree, is that you can't score enough being conservative. And today's NFL demands points for victories much more often than not.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This still doesn't take into account that Bradford's WR corp that he played with couldn't be trusted to even catch the ball. He got a grand total of 7 games with anyone who had talent and his numbers were pretty good. We're talking the difference between a veteran QB who is on a talented young team with 2-3 years of experience for the draft picks with stable coaching vs a guy who came out early, was young even for a guy coming out early, had horrific coaches and absolutely awful playmakers. There were no Greg Robinsons to protect him. Hill also has a rabid defense who can cover any mistakes and a special teams unit who are among the best in the NFL. Bradford had none of that. He couldn't turn the ball over because the consequences were severe. Hill knows he can take a risk because he'll get the ball right back, and lately he'll get it back in good field position.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
BTW, I don't mean the above post as a criticism of Hill. He's playing great. Just as a reason for the difference in QB mentality.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This still doesn't take into account that Bradford's WR corp that he played with couldn't be trusted to even catch the ball. He got a grand total of 7 games with anyone who had talent and his numbers were pretty good. We're talking the difference between a veteran QB who is on a talented young team with 2-3 years of experience for the draft picks with stable coaching vs a guy who came out early, was young even for a guy coming out early, had horrific coaches and absolutely awful playmakers. There were no Greg Robinsons to protect him. Hill also has a rabid defense who can cover any mistakes and a special teams unit who are among the best in the NFL. Bradford had none of that. He couldn't turn the ball over because the consequences were severe. Hill knows he can take a risk because he'll get the ball right back, and lately he'll get it back in good field position.

Excellent post. Those points in bold cannot be emphasized enough.

It's amazing how quickly people forget too. A few weeks ago people were on Austin Davis's case (rightly so) for not taking the checkdowns and being careless with the ball. Hill does take some risks, but most of the time they are smarter, more calculated risks.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Excellent post. Those points in bold cannot be emphasized enough.

It's amazing how quickly people forget too. A few weeks ago people were on Austin Davis's case (rightly so) for not taking the checkdowns and being careless with the ball. Hill does take some risks, but most of the time they are smarter, more calculated risks.

Hill is playing exactly like he should right now. Be aware of mistakes but being able to trust his whole team to take chances when a favorable opportunity presents itself. I hope he continues. It'll make the decision to roll with Bradford and Davis next year much easier if the opportunity to draft a QB isn't feasible.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, at least we've graduated from Davis vs Hill to Hill vs Bradford.

Yay QBs!

-.-

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
I hate to refer to preseason, but I guess I'm going to, anyway. Bradford was noticeably more aggressive with the downfield attack. I think he saw the three small forwards out there and liked his chances more than in previous seasons.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I hate to refer to preseason, but I guess I'm going to, anyway. Bradford was noticeably more aggressive with the downfield attack. I think he saw the three small forwards out there and liked his chances more than in previous seasons.

He did. He looked like he had become confident with the receivers in the middle / long game. I really hope he and the Rams work something out that benefits both of them. If they do, PLEASE get him a strong O line Fish. No matter who is at QB, that's the last key in my mind. With a strong O line, EVEN Hill could take them deep into the playoffs too. AD probably could too, dude has a nice arm when he has time.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Good stuff, yes I'd forgotten too about Bradford's pre-season. He was looking to have a monster season before his knee gave out again, and was attacking down field with regularity.
This raises the question: If Bradford can come back strong next pre-season, do we release Hill & roll w/ Davis as QB2? Or the other way around? What's preventing us from keeping Hill?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Absolutely true , the pressure to score effects even the best especially when the clock is running down, the inability to trust recs. to make a play for you does as well.
It all factors , I wish Hill still had Quick to throw to his size and ability to fight for the ball is more critical when it doesn't have the zip Bradford can bring.

jap

Legend

It's easier to be aggressive when you have receivers who consistently snag the rock. Receivers who drop the ball too much eats away at a QB's confidence.

I can't wait of a healthy Bradford with this offense plus Brain Quick. He would also need a couple solid guards---one to start along with Beetlejuice and the other to backup Beetlejuice---a solid, young center, and a decent RT. Maybe we resign Barksdale, but we need to employ solid pass blocking TE's and RB's to cover his problems with speed rushers.

Big Unit

UDFA
I recall early in his career, Bradford had confidence in Danny Amendola; repeatedly went to him, with much success.

It would be great if he developed similar confidence in several receivers - some combination of Bailey, Quick, Britt, Cook, etc. Seems like Hill is able to "throw some of those receivers open", with confidence they'll get the ball. I don't have a problem with Bradford's arm; so if he could do that, AND develop a little better pocket presence, we might have something.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Bradford is pretty aggressive when he trusts his guys and he's able to play aggressive (scheme/playcalling allows it)... I don't think that will be an issue with Sam, it's all going to be health and if he trusts his knee.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bradford is pretty aggressive when he trusts his guys and he's able to play aggressive (scheme/playcalling allows it)... I don't think that will be an issue with Sam, it's all going to be health and if he trusts his knee.

He is. Remember the passes to Givens? LOTS of good rookie WRs this season. Has one had 5 consecutive games with 50+ receptions? Has one even had 5 50+ receptions?

Bradford would make Britt and Givens look like superstars IMHO. Add in the reliable Bailey, explosive Cook and TA, forget about it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The problem with Bradford is that he remains unproven. Many of us think highly of him, but he's far from that guy that you know is going to come in and kill it even if he is healthy.

It's a tough deal right now for the Rams. If Hill can win out then I presume they sign him, but then you got Bradford who at that point will need to redo his deal or he's gone. I don't see them tying up his last year of big cap hit plus a FA deal with Hill when they will need to add a piece or two on the OL and whatnot. Because Hill is not necessarily going to be affordable, and Bradford won't necessarily be willing to redo his deal.

Snead and Fish have some tough decisions to make man. And then they still gotta draft a QB too, someone with upside and all the talent you want even if he's gotta sit a year to figure out wtf is going on.