Kurt Warner on the downfall of the GSOT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=m ... kim_033012

Kurt Warner remembers the moment when the Greatest Show on Turf lost its luster, doomed to degenerate into just another good show. The tipping point came a little more than a decade ago, when the St. Louis Rams said goodbye to a key supporting cast member that the organization was unwilling to overpay.

[wrapimg=left]http://l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/15Fl0jy7Sf2PQmCtxp7gkg--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NoPTI0MDtjcj0xO2N3PTE4MDtkeD0xO2R5PTE7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9MjQwO3E9MTAwO3c9MTgw/http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/ipt/Az-Zahir-Hakim-GstoryPay.jpg[/wrapimg]Back in March of 2002, the departure of No. 3 wideout Az-Zahir Hakim to the Detroit Lions via free agency didn’t seem like a crushing blow to a record-setting offense that had played in two of the previous three Super Bowls. The Rams’ two-time MVP quarterback, however, knew better.

“There’s no question it changed our whole dynamic,” Warner recalled Thursday. “As good as we were, and as good as the people were around him, Az was an integral part of what we did. When we lost him, the whole dynamic of what we did offensively had to change ‐ and we had to fit guys into places they weren’t as suited to.”

Remembering the ripple effect caused by Hakim’s departure is instructive when assessing the current Super Bowl champions and their looming decision on how to deal with an unhappy but highly productive pass rusher. With Osi Umenyiora in the final year of a below-market contract with which he has long been displeased, the defensive-end-rich New York Giants are surely reticent to offer a new deal to his liking. The team may be tempted to trade him; more likely, the Giants will let him play out the string and depart a year from now.

On paper, I can see the logic of that approach, just as Warner still understands the rationale behind the Rams’ decision not to blow up their salary structure for a backup receiver. When you’re so strong in one specific area, it’s natural to adopt a philosophy favoring a reallocation of resources aimed at bolstering weaker positions.

The Giants, who also have accomplished veteran Justin Tuck and emerging star Jason Pierre-Paul at defensive end, probably believe it’s impractical ‐ if not impossible ‐ to keep all three standouts at market value. Yet I believe there’s great value in trying to make it work, because sometimes a team’s obscenely overloaded potency in one area is the driving force behind its excellence.

Hakim, a shifty slot receiver with breakaway speed, helped Warner exploit matchups for which most defenses had no answer. While star wideouts Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt commanded much of the attention, and versatile Hall of Fame halfback Marshall Faulk was the key to Mike Martz’s aggressive attack, role players like Hakim and No. 4 wideout Ricky Proehl took it to an even scarier level.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always thought this too. I remember all the guys they signed to try and make up for his departure, and nobody was ever able to do what he could do. Fumbles aside and all. And when Hakim went to the Lions, he was just a mess. Nowhere near the production he had sandwiched between Holt & Bruce. The Rams should have done whatever necessary to keep him around. Fumbles aside and all.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
I always thought this too. I remember all the guys they signed to try and make up for his departure, and nobody was ever able to do what he could do. Fumbles aside and all. And when Hakim went to the Lions, he was just a mess. Nowhere near the production he had sandwiched between Holt & Bruce. The Rams should have done whatever necessary to keep him around. Fumbles aside and all.

Good observation, isn't it ironic how just one seemingly replaceable piece can tip the balance? Both Hakim and Proehl "stung" at the time, I just never imagined the degree until later. :bummed:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drhtY97bhhY[/youtube]

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Those were the days. However, my inner child will always hate Az for fumbling that goddamn punt against the Aint's in the wildcard game. :=:)