Kroenke to Steer Rams Future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Howard Balzer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer-blogs/20120102/Kroenke-to-Steer-Rams-Future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer ... ms-Future/</a>

[wrapimg=left]http://www.101espn.com/images/authors/medium/hbalzer.jpg[/wrapimg]When the decision was made, it came swiftly, without fanfare and with no surprises.

In his first major decision since becoming owner of the Rams during the 2010 season, Stan Kroenke cleared out general manager Billy Devaney and coach Steve Spagnuolo Monday morning and officially began the process of finding replacements.

In a statement, Kroenke said, “This was a difficult decision for many reasons. We have tremendous respect for Steve and Billy as people and football professionals. No one individual is to blame for this disappointing season and we all must hold ourselves accountable. However, we believe it’s in the best interest of the St. Louis Rams to make these changes as we continue our quest to build a team that consistently competes for playoffs and championships.”

Spagnuolo told the team of his fate in a brief 10-minute meeting before players were made available to the media.

Said running back Steven Jackson, “He took full responsibility. He regretted he couldn’t turn this franchise around.”

To a man, players said Spagnuolo addressed them the same way he always has.

“He exited with all the character and integrity that we all know that he has,” kicker Josh Brown said.

Added defensive end Chris Long, “He handled it with class. We can all take a lesson from that.”

For many players that came to the Rams or stayed here because of Spagnuolo, it was especially difficult.

When Spagnuolo was hired in 2009, cornerback Ron Bartell was about to become a free agent. Bartell had options with other teams, including New Orleans, but opted to re-sign because of the head coach.

Said Bartell, “This is tough because he’s one of the main reasons why I came back and my belief in him. I thought he was a helluva coach then and still think he’s a helluva coach now. But the results are what they are. He had a rough go this year with all the injuries, the lockout, guys down left and right.

“They were held accountable today and we (players) will be held accountable pretty soon, I’m sure.”

While what led to the departures of Devaney and Spagnuolo can be debated ad nauseum, that’s irrelevant now.

As difficult as the decision might have been for Kroenke, he now has much more important ones. Namely, who will be placed in charge of talent acquisition and obviously the hiring of the sixth head coach (not including interim coaches) in the 18 seasons the Rams have been in St. Louis.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, by contrast, are on their third head coach since 1969.

The Rams had a chance to keep a good thing going a decade ago, but instead, dysfunction became the rule. Kroenke was a part-owner then and John Shaw was the club president. Shaw ostensibly “retired” after the 2010 season and there was supposed to be a new direction for the franchise.

But Shaw never went totally away. He still has Kroenke’s ear. Meanwhile, next month is when the CVC (Convention and Visitor’s Commission) is to make a proposal to the Rams regarding the stadium issue. The clock will begin ticking.

The fact that the dome, by contract, is supposed to be in the top 25 percent of the league’s stadiums every 10 years all came about because Shaw had that language inserted at the last minute into the agreement that brought the Rams to St. Louis in 1995.

When the Rams moved here, lest anyone forget, Shaw hired Steve Ortmayer as general manager and Rich Brooks as head coach. That lasted all of two years.

Now, Kroenke will be putting his true imprint on the franchise, perhaps with Shaw’s recommendations. Hopefully, he gets it right.

Players hope and believe he will and that there is a foundation to build upon.

Said defensive end Chris Long, “We do have some pieces in place to turn this thing around. We have a franchise quarterback that I believe can be the guy. We just have to build around him. We have some pieces on defense. So, we need to take that nucleus and go. For the next leader there’s good guys in this locker room that whoever that guy is he’s going to have something to work with.

“Having an owner like Stan, we believe there’s something to be said to having that continuity and having a guy that’s committed. We all appreciate the way he’s handled this, and we will believe in whoever he decides he’s going to bring in here.”

Concluded linebacker James Laurinaitis, “I have a ton of trust in Mr. Kroenke in what he’s going to do and the direction he wants to go. That’s not just a political answer, that’s the truth. He has a direction he wants to go with this thing and we’ve all the faith in the world in him to make those decisions.

“Mr. Kroenke is going to move this thing forward. The leaders on this team will be ready to go along with it.”

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
When I was listening to Demoff answer questions today, I was happy to hear him say that both Vermeil and Faulk are going to be consulted with concerning the direction of the team. Now I'm not sure if that's just the Damage Control Dept talking there, but at this point I'll take it and smile.

I was disappointed that Enos didn't speak for the franchise today. I believe that if he had, a more powerful message would have been delivered. Maybe he's not a good public speaker,,, I don't know. Not trying to be more of a downer by bringing this up, but having to listen to the Business Side of the Rams talk about the future of the Football Side just seems like more of --- having to listen to john shaw talk about the future of the team. You know, the Business Side makes all of the decisions based solely on what's best for the business. This may just be my paranoia rearing its ugly head though.

Hoping for true change is all.