Kroenke envisions new model for running the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bryan Burwell
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/kroenke-envisions-new-model-for-running-the-rams/article_2e3436b4-c9d1-5d04-8f18-5bab6b69929c.html#ixzz1iPscLdOb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1iPscLdOb</a>

[wrapimg=left]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/42/34279a50-048b-5132-8820-f2d4fc089bf8/4e7817fce011a.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]It's hard to know the exact moment when Stan Kroenke began to envision how much different things would be once he took control of the St. Louis Rams. Maybe it's been quietly percolating in his imagination since the day he bought a minority share of this storied NFL franchise nearly two decades ago.

But on Monday morning, 17 months after he assumed official majority control of the Rams, Kroenke emphatically seized symbolic control of the helm with a rather powerful move. This was not a tweak, this was a seismic total renovation, firing both general manager Billy Devaney and head coach Steve Spagnuolo before immediately going about the significant task of reshaping the Rams into his own very specific image.

And what image is that?

"Well, the simple answer is we have to find a way to get this team back to where it wins," he said in an exclusive interview with the Post-Dispatch.

Over the course of 18 minutes on the phone, here's what I learned about Kroenke and where he's going with his plans to turn this franchise around: First of all, he has not been sitting idly by as the Rams went from a team of promise in 2010 to a team of disappointment in 2011. He was gathering facts all along the way but didn't make up his mind absolutely until he woke up Monday morning.

And he hated the losing more than you did.

"If anyone thinks I enjoy this when we don't win, they would be wrong," he said. "It's been painful. You can quote George Patton, (who) said, 'Gloom does not win wars.'"

Kroenke is fascinated with the wisdom of famous people. He quoted Patton, Albert Einstein and his famous in-law, the late Sam Walton, throughout the interview. But the man he seems to be most intrigued with is one of those surprising and illuminating tidbits into the mind of Stan Kroenke.

He is an ardent devotee of Bill Belichick and the way Darth Patriot has crafted New England into the NFL's signature championship organization. And if you want to know what the Kroenke Way is going to look like at Rams Park, you'd be wise to go read a wonderful book by former Boston Globe columnist Michael Holley called "War Room: The Legacy of Bill Belichick and the Art of Building the Perfect Team."

Kroenke referenced the book repeatedly Monday afternoon.

"When you read the book, it describes a wonderful (business culture)," Kroenke said. "I felt very comfortable when I read the book when (Holley) talked about a guy like Belichick. He had a plan. (The Patriots) have a way of operating up there that wasn't dissimilar to the way we run the (Denver Nuggets). At the end of the day, everyone knew Belichick was kind of The Guy, but the owner still had his input."

What did Kroenke glean from studying Belichick and the Patriots?

First and foremost, someone must hold final authority and be the undisputed man everyone knows is in charge of things. In the new Rams Way, Kroenke promises there will be no gray areas, no uncertainties about accountability, no vagueness about who is setting the overall organizational tone or the philosophy of how everything will be done around here.

"We will have someone who is in charge of personnel, and they will be clearly in charge of personnel and they will be responsible," Kroenke said. "And hopefully they will be very bright. And they may be young or they may be seasoned, and we already have several people in mind.

"The (head) coach? We'd like the coach to coach."

What does that mean? If you follow the Patriots' model, it means a lot more than the coach being the coach. If the head coach is a veteran with a proven track record — and Kroenke thinks he is the one most qualified to set the tone for how the organization will be run — he will be given that authority. But he won't be dominating the war room, pretending to be a personnel expert.

He will do a lot of what Belichick does, which is to lay out in very specific terms the sort of players he believes will help him win, give his personnel people those very clear criteria, then hold them accountable to find them. And if they don't come up with future Pro Bowlers and immediate impact players, they will be fired and someone else will be hired to do a better job.

And when Kroenke has hired both men and determined who is going to be in charge, the rest of the new organization had better understand that only one guy will be steering the ship and everyone else will be manning the oars.

"When you look at that book," said Kroenke, "those guys all work so well together. That's what I'm into. I like guys who work the way it's described in that book. Belichick is clearly The Guy, but there's no one afraid to challenge (his) viewpoint. They have a culture where there isn't a lot of ego. They try to come to the best solutions all the time. In the sports world, there tends to be a lot of ego."

Kroenke believes the greatest detriment to any professional sports organization — or for that matter any business in general — is when you have too many people who are more concerned with getting credit, placing blame or failing to recognize the value in contrary opinions. That is an ego-driven culture that can wreck franchises.

"Now I'll quote (Wal-Mart founder) Sam Walton," he said. " 'Ego is the worst thing in business. It leads you to make bad decisions.' "

This was a rare glimpse into the mind of the typically private businessman, who used this uncommon public opportunity to lay out how he hopes to fix whatever ails his franchise, which has not had a winning season since 2003. As a man whose family owns NBA, NHL and professional soccer franchises on two continents, Kroenke is no neophyte when it comes to diagnosing those troubles or how to fix them.

When asked point blank what's wrong with the Rams, Kroenke didn't hedge:

"What's wrong with the franchise is we're not winning," he said. "If we were winning, we'd all be happy. So what it comes down to is the product on the field, and there are a lot of ways to go at it. ... When we acquired the Nuggets, we were abysmal. I would say they were certainly pretty bad. (But) I think we've brought them along (the Nuggets have not had a losing season since 2002, while reaching the playoffs eight consecutive seasons), and the way we did that was we concentrated on the personnel. We got a head coach (George Karl) we could trust and had the intelligence and energy and the track record, quite frankly. He'd proven he could do it. So once we got all that in place, we got a lot better.

"So how do we fix (the Rams)?" he said. "You get players. They play better. You win and we're all happy."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Part of me likes the Belichick way, and part of me hates it. It's the Socratic method brought to football, which means, in part, that everyone gets questioned and has to justify their opinions. But it can also mean anything goes, nothing is out of bounds - which is obviously where Belichick has taken it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
interference said:
Part of me likes the Belichick way, and part of me hates it. It's the Socratic method brought to football, which means, in part, that everyone gets questioned and has to justify their opinions. But it can also mean anything goes, nothing is out of bounds - which is obviously where Belichick has taken it.
Most of me likes the Aristotlic way.

Bring your desires down to your present means. Increase them only when your increased means permit.
-Aristotle

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
(in munchkin voice) Follow the Belichick road. Follow the Belichick road?

Seems to me all we need is the brain, heart and courage to make a winner.

Despite all the philosophic discussion of where Stan wants the Rams to be, he doesn't really tell us how, or even the general structure (Pres, GM, HC or GM, HC or HC, personnel eval). I know a lot of that depends on his hiring choices, but IMO, Stan is a slippery SOB, talking around the process. As we know, quotes are only words.

That doesn't mean I don't trust Stan, but Burwell wants us to think that his interview has real insight into Kroenke, and that won't come until he starts hiring replacements.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Looking at the Nuggets and Avs, Kroenke has a team president in place.

In hockey, Kroenke is way hands off. He's not much of a hockey guy.

In basketball, his son is team president. Demoff could be promoted(not saying he would be) to president.

Anonymous

"Kroenke believes the greatest detriment to any professional sports organization — or for that matter any business in general — is when you have too many people who are more concerned with getting credit, placing blame or failing to recognize the value in contrary opinions. "

Fantastic.....a COMPETENT owner. The bolded part is something most people forever remain ignorant.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:

Bring your desires down to your present means. Increase them only when your increased means permit.
-Aristotle
It's elitist thinking (Socrates) vs Common Man (Aristotle) thinking. Stan is just parroting elitist thinking, where anything goes as long as you can convince everyone else.

Hey, I didnt know the guy married into the Walton family, isn't that the Wal-Mart gang?

superfan24

Starter
interference said:
X said:
interference said:

-Aristotle
It's elitist thinking (Socrates) vs Common Man (Aristotle) thinking. Stan is just parroting elitist thinking, where anything goes as long as you can convince everyone else.

Hey, I didnt know the guy married into the Walton family, isn't that the Wal-Mart gang?

Yep

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
superfan24 said:
interference said:
X said:
interference said:

-Aristotle

Yep
Yeah. There's a sick amount of money in that family. Mrs. Kroenke, I think, has a bigger net worth.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Ram Quixote said:
(in munchkin voice) Follow the Belichick road. Follow the Belichick road?

Seems to me all we need is the brain, heart and courage to make a winner.

Despite all the philosophic discussion of where Stan wants the Rams to be, he doesn't really tell us how, or even the general structure (Pres, GM, HC or GM, HC or HC, personnel eval). I know a lot of that depends on his hiring choices, but IMO, Stan is a slippery SOB, talking around the process. As we know, quotes are only words.

That doesn't mean I don't trust Stan, but Burwell wants us to think that his interview has real insight into Kroenke, and that won't come until he starts hiring replacements.

I'm feeling the same way.

Everything hinges on who accepts the job,,,, I really believe that Stan is banking on Fisher , and if he wants something - he CAN make it happen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
"Kroenke believes the greatest detriment to any professional sports organization — or for that matter any business in general — is when you have too many people who are more concerned with getting credit, placing blame or failing to recognize the value in contrary opinions. "

Fantastic.....a COMPETENT owner. The bolded part is something most people forever remain ignorant.
In theory, sure. Great sentiment. Put in practice, sometimes contrary opinions are just flat out stupid. As an Owner, he can probably listen to contrary opinions, but ultimately the buck stops with him anyway. Consider how that "value in contrary opinions" worked with the 3-headed monster of Martz, Shaw & Zygmunt. Would have been better if one person said, "Yeah, all ya'll just shut your yaps. We're doing *this* and that's *that*."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
squeaky wheel said:

In theory, sure. Great sentiment. Put in practice, sometimes contrary opinions are just flat out stupid. As an Owner, he can probably listen to contrary opinions, but ultimately the buck stops with him anyway. Consider how that "value in contrary opinions" worked with the 3-headed monster of Martz, Shaw & Zygmunt. Would have been better if one person said, "Yeah, all ya'll just shut your yaps. We're doing *this* and that's *that*."
I actually found SK's comments kinda disappointing. He really is just spouting the latest BS in elite business circles. It's an approach based upon old-science and is just a form of group think. Yeah, while this can work in some cases, I think the far more successful model is to find a smart leader who knows how to be a good leader and knows how to attract good people. In this latter situation, the team will genuinely work well together anyway, and no one will have to implement some predetermined model of socratic self-reflection and self-inspection.

I remember having a conversation with a high ranking military officer many years ago, and we were respecting the work done on the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane that was top-secret for a long time. He commented that this was the last aircraft designed by great individuals - not by a group operating under a collection of externally imposed rules. That comment always stuck with me, because the latter would never have created such an incredible aircraft that broke so many rules, but that surpassed all expectations and operated for decades.

While success can be achieved via a model where groups operate with the model the SK describes, real excellence comes from great individuals who are not afraid to break all the rules. For example, the GSOT did not evolve out of groupthink.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:

No, there's a difference between a stupid opinion and an uncomfortable opinion. The fragile ego too often views the differing opinion as stupid. Sure the buck stops with him but the essence of what he says is the willingness to dissect an issue from all angles....and being open enough to embrace a differing view when it is demonstrated to be superior to your own.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:

No, there's a difference between a stupid opinion and an uncomfortable opinion. The fragile ego too often views the differing opinion as stupid. Sure the buck stops with him but the essence of what he says is the willingness to dissect an issue from all angles....and being open enough to embrace a differing view when it is demonstrated to be superior to your own.
Of course there's a difference between stupid and uncomfortable. That's why I said *sometimes* contrary opinions are stupid. And when he's able to determine which opinions ARE stupid, he should shut them out. Not sure which opinions he's received that were 'demonstrated' to be superior to his own. Sounds like you're reaching there.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:

Of course there's a difference between stupid and uncomfortable. That's why I said *sometimes* contrary opinions are stupid. And when he's able to determine which opinions ARE stupid, he should shut them out. Not sure which opinions he's received that were 'demonstrated' to be superior to his own. Sounds like you're reaching there.

I'm not reaching. I'm discussing the statement regarding openness for contrary opinions. Oh and sometimes "accepted" opinions are stupid
and the contrarian opinion sheds light upon that fact. That's the entire premise behind taking the ego out of decision making.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:

I'm not reaching. I'm discussing the statement regarding openness for contrary opinions. Oh and sometimes "accepted" opinions are stupid
and the contrarian opinion sheds light upon that fact. That's the entire premise behind taking the ego out of decision making.
Gotta be honest here. I have no idea what we're talking about anymore. And I've lost interest.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Gonna take Stan at his word. He wants to win so that's great. And he's right after 15&65 or whatever it is, the fans deserve a winner.

But eliminating ego is easier said than done. I like how he lays it out with the accountability.

Now the people that will get hired know what he expects and what the results will be if they don't win. That's fair. And fair for the fans too.

I wonder how hard it was for him to sit as minority owner all those years watch the team die slowly with really no say on how it was run.

Good luck Stan.

Anonymous

Yamahopper said:
Gonna take Stan at his word. He wants to win so that's great. And he's right after 15&65 or whatever it is, the fans deserve a winner.

But eliminating ego is easier said than done. I like how he lays it out with the accountability.

Now the people that will get hired know what he expects and what the results will be if they don't win. That's fair. And fair for the fans too.

I wonder how hard it was for him to sit as minority owner all those years watch the team die slowly with really no say on how it was run.

Good luck Stan.

Well if his plan was to obtain majority control then sitting through the dysfunction was made easier by the falling value of the team meaning less cost to him. He can add value now which is pure profit to him should he want to sell.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think he wants to win, not sell.