Kneejerk Central: Rank the Rams' Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Enlighten us oh wise one on how the Rams did so we can help them get better:

• A+

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • A

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • A-

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • B+

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • B

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • B-

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • C+

• C

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Currently throwing tantrum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Waiting in the parking lot with a tire iron and hoody

• Total voters

oldnotdead

Legend
At this point IMO this was a very solid draft. Avila and Young were the kind of players that needed to be day one starters in this draft. Avila changed the whole complexion of the OL as Young has on the DL. Hodges-Tomlinson could be that final piece in the secondary. I was not happy going into the season with Kendrick playing SCB.

Hampton was a sneaky good pick. If they use him as I think they will to play that SAM role (last played by Ebukam) he could be that missing piece in the front 7 beyond more than a simple starting edge. A good SAM changes how both the opposing OL and QB read the defense. It will force more attention to the weakside. Closing off the strongside to run or short pass is a big deal. If he knows the edge is set behind him the JACK can focus on getting after the QB or penetration to stop inside runs.

Hodges-Tomlinson, Nacua, Turner and Zach Evans could become key role players. Right now this draft looks very good.

TexasRam

Legend
I went C+

It’s way to early to know jack.

I do love the overall approach. Top guard. Surprise, surprise! Lots of edge. Lots of emphasis on guys that fit our system vs big names.

I feel like we did pass on some possible impact players to move back several times. Probably could have added a top center, TE, WR or DB at times but we waited to get “our guy” much later. Dudes most of us never heard about.

Lots of faith in our scouting department to land lesser known prospects later. Sometimes I wonder if we get too cute rather then taking a more highly rated prospect so we can outsmart the league.

Sometimes the whole draft setup
Seems more like a frat party setup and less focused than other teams.

I’m willing to give our brain trust a chance because they have pulled down a Lombardi and are proven winners. Only time will tell.

I do feel excited about Avila, one of the edge guys emerging, the punter (should be a starter), Tomlinson and our backup QB.

I am not sure any of these other guys pan out. But with so many picks and opportunities to play due to our depleted roster, a few other could contribute, or find a starting role down the road.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Regarding Bennett, Sean McVay has said he wanted Bennett because of his cocky attitude. Someone who wouldn't be shaken by adversity.

Most of Bennett's play issues are physical things that with good training, and coaching can correct or mitigate. I would rather have had someone like Tune but I'm not going to knock Bennett simply because of personal preference. Let Bennett prove himself one way or the other. You don't achieve what he has by being a scrub. The Rams are extremely sensitive to locker room culture. If Bennett becomes a problem there he won't last long.

All I know is that Bennett is a clear upgrade to Wolford.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
B+
Very pleased with our draft, especially when taking into account that 10 out of our 14 draftees are 5'th round and later prospects.
Can't say more about the Avila pick, I love it. If Bruss & Anchrum return to full strength from their past injuries, then our IOL depth will be vastly improved.
The Rams added 3 new must needed Edge Rushers to the mix, and this may have come at some expense for our CB's, but I predicted our DB's would get a big billing when we started hitting on UDFA's.
Kobie Turner and Desjuan Johnson along with our returning surprise Michael Hoecht are all plus factors for a new era along our DL.
I happen to approve of our new back-up QB choice, he might have been had a round later, he may never become a starter in this league, but he brings all the necessary credentials to be an effective back-up when called on.
With Higbee now entering his 'contract' year, I'm not sure we'll be seeing much of Davis Allen this season with Hopkins & Long ahead of him on the depth chart.
I'll certainly give him a chance, although Warren McClendon is my least favorite pick from this draft, on the other hand, I really like the potential of Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson and Zach Evans. Ethan Evans is a monster of a Punter, I like the possibilities here. Nacua adds needed talent & competition to our WR's room, and Jason Taylor does the same at Safety.

Along with several UDFA defensive backs being brought in, the same seems to be occurring with UDFA Center/OG's, so it does increase my questioning for whether Brian Allen is a likely CAP Casualty, perhaps with an injury settlement ?

TexasRam

Legend
Regarding Bennett, Sean McVay has said he wanted Bennett because of his cocky attitude. Someone who wouldn't be shaken by adversity.

Most of Bennett's play issues are physical things that with good training, and coaching can correct or mitigate. I would rather have had someone like Tune but I'm not going to knock Bennett simply because of personal preference. Let Bennett prove himself one way or the other. You don't achieve what he has by being a scrub. The Rams are extremely sensitive to locker room culture. If Bennett becomes a problem there he won't last long.

All I know is that Bennett is a clear upgrade to Wolford.
I think I read Bennett was 19:3 TD to int ratio in the last 5 postseason games. Not to mention his running ability. Dudes that rise in big games are what you want. He also shows that solid anticipation and decisiveness.

Getting drunk happens. If there is a pattern of stupid decisions that is different then a one time stupid decision for a college dude.

He might suck for all I know but I like his potential playing serious ball at the highest level under pressure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Getting drunk happens. If there is a pattern of stupid decisions that is different then a one time stupid decision for a college dude.
Complete non-issue for me. I also wouldn't have dinged Carter for what he did. Context is important in these things to me and Bennett's incident is so minor it's not even worth getting into.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Complete non-issue for me. I also wouldn't have dinged Carter for what he did. Context is important in these things to me and Bennett's incident is so minor it's not even worth getting into.

In Carter's case, the maturity issues were well-known even before he did that fatal street race, and he bombed the Combine and his Pro Day.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In Carter's case, the maturity issues were well-known even before he did that fatal street race, and he bombed the Combine and his Pro Day.
The combine and pro day do matter yes. But he is so good a prospect I still would have taken him up high as long as I feel good about him after the interview and talking to people around Georgia and everything.

If he's a fuckhead in the opinion of the people around the team then you drop him on the board. But I get the feeling that was not the case with him. Who knows though.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The combine and pro day do matter yes. But he is so good a prospect I still would have taken him up high as long as I feel good about him after the interview and talking to people around Georgia and everything.

If he's a fuckhead in the opinion of the people around the team then you drop him on the board. But I get the feeling that was not the case with him. Who knows though.

He's definitely a great prospect; he just happened to be someone I didn't want. Could he mature? Sure. Could his Philadelphia teammates and coaches get him straightened out? Absolutely. I just wouldn't take that chance personally.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It annoys me too because nobody is saying shit about Young who is the same size going at 1 but for some reason our backup slot choice of a similar QB is being shit on.

Now I know some think that Young is waaaay better than Bennett. But point is you can't ding one dude on size and overlook it with others. Yes some guys will see better and counter the effect of height, but it's a detractor for all that have it or in this case don't have it.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It annoys me too because nobody is saying shit about Young who is the same size going at 1 but for some reason our backup slot choice of a similar QB is being shit on.

Now I know some thing that Young is waaaay better than Bennett. But point is you can't ding one dude on size and overlook it with others. Yes some guys will see better and counter the effect of height, but it's a detractor for all that have it or in this case don't have it.
They were having a good conversation about the draft and I was enjoying it until they got to him and I turned off the video.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were having a good conversation about the draft and I was enjoying it until they got to him and I turned off the video.
Did you have that disgusted old man sneer on your face when you flipped that switch? :laugh4:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Avila is a slam dunk day one difference maker. He should instantly impact the offense positively. None of us expected OL at the top due to years of abuse by the Rams on draft day, but they sure did make a great call this year by sucking it up and taking the big guy.

Young we'll see. He's an upside pick. I think he is part of that price of moving down in terms of the draft steering them to OL with the first pick and after making the right call you gotta accrue picks somewhere. So then we miss on guys like Hall who I am sure they would have liked. But Young does have good film. I've been watching him more than any of these guys after the pick and think there's a reasonable chance the Rams can get the most from him. But it's still a wait and see deal vice a deal where you know the guy is gonna slay it day one. Probably gonna have an adjustment period before we feel him and there's a gulf between a guy who can give you some sacks next to AD like say Fowler or him growing into a real dawg and solving blindside for years.

Turner is an intriguing pick. Rams have a plan for him on the rush as per Les, with him and AD duoing in the middle. I like DL who are naturally tough to move and this guy has that element to him. But he's not overpowering in that way. Also he's not in AD's class in terms of quickness to counter that. So where his ceiling is no idea, thinking he's at worst a rotational type who helps us year one. At best he's AD's replacement if he up and retires suddenly. Not a day one difference maker, though he has a chance to start most likely at 5T for us, that's his best spot with AD taking up 3T. If he wins that 5T job then maybe we have something.

Bennett is the QB pick we knew was coming. Not the QB we knew was coming but a strong backup option for us that makes McVay feel good if Stafford misses time. I think his ceiling is a backup but we'll see how it goes. Quality addition for the room all around. Backup QB.

Hampton is a dice roll on another twitchy edge, a bit undersized so he's a project. Depth and teams.

McClendon is a project for the OL pipeline. Depth role.

Allen I will say has some intriguing skills for development. Role will be TE depth chart and teams.

Nacua is another large possession option WR. What makes him a bit different from Skow and McClutch is he's a guy who can be plugged into the slot and be productive. He's a chain mover and has a real chance to squeeze someone we like off this roster. I shall call him mini-Kupp.

Tomlinson for where he was taken will have every opportunity to win a slot role. They may even let him play outside the hash if he comes in hot because our options out there are fucking ugly opposite Durant. So for a late round choice this is a really strong pick and represents real potential to start. Cannot complain about that.

Mathis is my kind of Edge. I like 'em rangy and menacing with a little pop to them. But he's another project to load that room, raw gristle for the pressure mill. Depth and teams.

Evans is a Snead boom/bust pick. I fucking hate that it's at RB and that shit triggers me badly. But maybe we finally get on the boom side of the ledger at RB as we are overdue. Nice talent level. Role should be depth but there is room for him to be needed as a rook so hope he's locked in.

Taylor is a box safety with some upside. Depth role and teams if he wants to make the roster. Scott path hopefully, if we hit on him.

Johnson is my favorite day three pick. Interior rotation addition for the DL, boy has some pop to him, physicality that I prefer. Will be in the mix if he comes into camp hot for the 5T role potentially. But either way good depth pickup for the DL roster.

Going into this draft we knew it was a reload deal where Les would move down and add pick volume. They did that and missed out on some guys I would have loved to have. Whether those picks we added move the bar we'll see.

Strengths of the class are they restocked the defensive front, which was no small feat, and added a critical need at OG to ensure our old QB doesn't get killed. I think to some extent the draft steered them to take OL early, but I'll take it lol.

Weaknesses of the draft is that our secondary is a shambles. We have a hole at boundary corner. Our safeties are iffy at best. Neither of those things were likely affected for this year by this draft haul. Also RB, which has been a problem every year for McVay since we lost Gurley, they went with a risky pick. And lastly will add that we lost two 1T and I am not sure we have a good NT plan in that room. Who's our NT? Brown? We need some oversized beef I think, and if not we're gonna get run off the field vs divisional opponents.

Now we can play with each others dicks here and act like every pick is gonna hit but we have been doing this long enough to know that rarely happens. So this is a good draft I think. Solid in many ways that we needed it to be. But it's not that draft that gives us hope of a quick reboot.

Kneejerk Grade: B+
I realize grades are soley on the prospect but we should also take into consideration the position group they're joining. Like when some talking head makes an astute observation like "success and failure have a lot to do with where they go". I gave them a B+.

Avila. He's a stud I've had my eye on since the end of the college season last year. Versatile (C - G). Nasty. Big...very big. Talented. He's going to a relatively young group and should fit right in.

Young. I didn't think we'd get a good edge rusher once Hall, Foskey, Ojulari and Keion White went off quickly in a span of 10 picks. Young is as good as any of them. Maybe better. We needed him but they also got Hampton in the 5th and Mathis in the 6th. When I was perusing the draft pubs, I saw Appalacian St and thought of Concordia. But Hampton seems different with a lot more production than Garrett. The OLB group has been improved. The only question is, who among them will survive?

Kobie Turner is joining a group of 3rd and 4th year guys with AD in the middle of them. I think he seems like a grounded young man, who could possibly be coached into a productive role.

Bennett? We needed a backup and I suppose now, we have one. Fellow Bulldogs.

I was confused why Allen was projected so low but I guess he's got limitations. I liked him at Clemson.

Honesty, I know more about astrophysics than I do about the BYU kid. (Don't usually watch MW football)

Thought Hodges-Tomlinson would be a nice get if for no other reason than LT being at Rams games. He, like Avila will join a young group and who knows what'll happen in competition there?

McClendon, Mathis, the punter, Taylor and Johnson might give us a couple ST guys.

But I was thrilled we got Zach Evans. Issues? Sure but being around grownups might help.

We got 14 more guys plus all the UDFAs. We ought to be able to make something out of that.

Hobgoblin

Rookie
Watching Kobie on his film concerns me. I know AD was “small” but he looks like a LB playing DL.

His highlights were awesome on the run D which we need badly.

I’m a fan of the diva QBs. So the Stetson pick didn’t bother me especially at the round we took him and it works so well with having a year or two to sit behind Stafford.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
B+
Very pleased with our draft, especially when taking into account that 10 out of our 14 draftees are 5'th round and later prospects.
Can't say more about the Avila pick, I love it. If Bruss & Anchrum return to full strength from their past injuries, then our IOL depth will be vastly improved.
The Rams added 3 new must needed Edge Rushers to the mix, and this may have come at some expense for our CB's, but I predicted our DB's would get a big billing when we started hitting on UDFA's.
Kobie Turner and Desjuan Johnson along with our returning surprise Michael Hoecht are all plus factors for a new era along our DL.
I happen to approve of our new back-up QB choice, he might have been had a round later, he may never become a starter in this league, but he brings all the necessary credentials to be an effective back-up when called on.
With Higbee now entering his 'contract' year, I'm not sure we'll be seeing much of Davis Allen this season with Hopkins & Long ahead of him on the depth chart.
I'll certainly give him a chance, although Warren McClendon is my least favorite pick from this draft, on the other hand, I really like the potential of Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson and Zach Evans. Ethan Evans is a monster of a Punter, I like the possibilities here. Nacua adds needed talent & competition to our WR's room, and Jason Taylor does the same at Safety.

Along with several UDFA defensive backs being brought in, the same seems to be occurring with UDFA Center/OG's, so it does increase my questioning for whether Brian Allen is a likely CAP Casualty, perhaps with an injury settlement ?
What is it about McClendon that you don't like? I heard he had not given up a sack in two years or so....

~ArkyRamsFan~

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What is it about McClendon that you don't like? I heard he had not given up a sack in two years or so....

~ArkyRamsFan~

I was too quick to condemn, but I see him as an undersized OT with heavy feet who might play a swing role (RG/RT), perhaps he'll be fine competing as an IOLineman where he just seems a better NFL fit to me. I'm tiring of the cross-training process, not in theory, but for immediate expectations. What the Rams have done is create several future options going forward with regards to the once deficient IOL, ... much depending on what becomes of Brian Allen in the short-term.

With Allen :

LT) Noteboom, Jackson
LG) Avila, Anchrum
C) Allen, Sheldon
RG) Bruss, McClendon
RT) Havenstein, (McClendon or Arcuri)

Without Allen :

LT) Noteboom, Jackson
LG) Anchrum, Sheldon
C) Avila, Sheldon
RG) Bruss, McClendon
RT) Havenstein, (McClendon or Arcuri)