Klein: Rams mailbag: Donald's contract situation, Austin's status,Goff's weight gain + more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Aaron Donald was absent because of a contract situation, but the Rams completed their first week of organized team activities.

They have seven workouts remaining over the next few weeks, and they also will hold a mandatory mini-camp June 13-15.

Now, on to your questions. Keep them coming at @latimesklein or gary.klein@latimes.com.

Follow
BlueBlood_Rams @Blueblood_Rams

What is the state of negotiations between @RamsNFL and @AaronDonald97 ? Prediction: https://twitter.com/latimesklein/status/867416543046516736 …

Aaron Donald did not participate in the first week of organized team activities, which are voluntary.

That means there is no financial penalty for being absent. If Donald skips the mandatory mini-camp next month, he could be fined more than $70,000.

But in the grand scheme of things — when we’re talking about deals that could guarantee more than $50 million or $60 million — that doesn’t cause much pain for an elite player.

I do not know the exact state of the negotiations, but it’s clear the Rams want to keep Donald happy and in the fold.

And Donald, in my experience being around him last season, is one player who does not enjoy missing team workouts.

Follow
Dave Shull @tattooer_dshull

@LATimesklein Do you see Tavon being phased out?

Receiver Tavon Austin is not participating in OTA workouts while recovering from wrist surgery. But he is performing drills on other areas of the practice field and is expected to be ready for training camp.

Coach Sean McVay and offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur have spoken about finding the best ways to utilize Austin, who signed a four-year, $42-million extension before last season.

The Rams added receiver Robert Woods and drafted receivers Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. They also have second-year pros Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas, among others.

Until it proves otherwise, that’s not a receiving corps that will necessarily strike fear into defensive coordinators.

So look for McVay to make Austin an integral part of the scheme.

Follow
Sly Gonzalez @ThinkBlue47

@LATimesklein Any word on scouting department hirings or people of interest

A few weeks before the NFL draft, the Rams told Ran Carthon, director of pro personnel, and three scouts that they would not be retained.

Carthon was hired last week by the San Francisco 49ers.

The Rams have been interviewing candidates for various positions but have not announced any hires.

They reportedly had interest with Joe Hortiz, the Baltimore Ravens’ director of college scouting, but he is expected to remain with the Ravens.

Andrew Whitworth to play left tackle will take some of the onus — and perhaps officials’ attention — off Robinson, who is now playing right tackle.

McVay was offensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins, who committed 55 offensive penalties, three more than the Rams.

New defensive coordinator Wade Phillips comes from the Denver Broncos, who were called for 48 defensive penalties last season, the same number as the Rams.

Jared Goff in a Thursday night game at Seattle.

Thomas, however, made several outstanding special teams plays throughout the season.

After the first OTA workout last Monday, McVay noted that Thomas had made a couple of nice plays on offense.

So it’s reasonable to expect that Thomas has matured and grown.

Despite the success of some rookies, the initial transition to the NFL is difficult for most first-year players.

With a season behind him, perhaps Thomas will develop into a more reliable pass-catcher.

Jeff Fisher’s staff included one of his sons, Brandon, who coached defensive backs.

McVay’s staff includes offensive line coach Aaron Kromer and his son, Zack, an offensive assistant.

David Carpenter @carpy45

@LATimesklein How would you compare Goff and Mannion at this point for accuracy and knowledge of playbook and McVay's system?

12:47 PM - 25 May 2017

The Rams have made only one practice open to reporters so far during OTAs, so it’s a small sample size.

Jared Goff and Sean Mannion both looked accurate at times. Both also made some poor throws.

I could not give you an accurate read on their knowledge of the playbook, though Goff did note that he has had an easier time learning this scheme.

Goff is getting the first-team reps so he will probably progress faster.

Follow
Robert Schaeffer @MynamesPierce

@LATimesklein #16 gained 5-10lbs. How high should he get? He needs much more muscle. Thoughts?

Follow
Robert Schaeffer @MynamesPierce

@LATimesklein Maybe you #132 could give #16 some of your cookies.

Quarterback Jared Goff said he added five to 10 pounds during the offseason and the Rams now list him at 6-feet-4 and 223 pounds.

I would not venture to designate his ideal weight. But it was clear last season that he needed a sturdier frame, especially if the offensive line does not improve.

Goff will almost certainly rely on the Rams’ strength and conditioning staff and, perhaps, a personal trainer to improve his physical condition and add weight.

The Christmas cookies that colleague Lindsey Thiry heroically brought to the Dec. 24 game against the 49ers last season would have no chance of ever leaving the press box uneaten.

Thanks, as usual, for the great questions. Let’s do it again next week.

[[URL='http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-mailbag-20170526-story.html']www.latimes.com][/URL]
Follllow Gary Klein on Twitter @latimesklein

Ram65

Legend
McVay was offensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins, who committed 55 offensive penalties, three more than the Rams.

New defensive coordinator Wade Phillips comes from the Denver Broncos, who were called for 48 defensive penalties last season, the same number as the Rams.

Those numbers are surprising. Thinking was these coaches were going to bring some discipline to the Rams. It's not just the the amount of penalties but, the type and timing of penalties as well. Previous Rams teams could not over come untimely penalties and there were many of them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Previous Rams teams could not over come untimely penalties and there were many of them.

I concur, when your offensive lineman jumps and it's first & 15 under the previous regime Rams were sunk, however, hopefully the Rams will be able to overcome those particular scenarios. Let's be honest all teams commit penalties, even the Patriots (although they are limited) it's how you overcome them that personifies you as a football team.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Is there information somewhere to compare the numbers of drives, or plays would even work, to the number of penalties they had? I would ventures that the Redskins ran a lot more plays than we did, thusly accounting for more penalties.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there information somewhere to compare the numbers of drives, or plays would even work, to the number of penalties they had? I would ventures that the Redskins ran a lot more plays than we did, thusly accounting for more penalties.

Go with this, it looks like you can break it down by penalty and check out the Redskins offensive penalties and the Bronco's defensive and see how they stack up vs the same Rams unit. It'll take some work though to mess with it and get it accurate.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Go with this, it looks like you can break it down by penalty and check out the Redskins offensive penalties and the Bronco's defensive and see how they stack up vs the same Rams unit. It'll take some work though to mess with it and get it accurate.

And he I was hoping I could subtlety con someone into doing the work for me. I guess I'm not that clever. Time to math.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And he I was hoping I could subtlety con someone into doing the work for me. I guess I'm not that clever. Time to math.
If it wasn't a holiday weekend and my time sitting at the computer is at a minimal I might have done it :) Back to the back yard beer drinking.

Ram65

Legend
RAMS Total Plays = 960
Passing 536
Rushing 375
Sacked 49

REDSKINS Total Plays = 1,109
Passing 607
Rushing 379
Sacked 23

Penalty % rate per play
Rams 52/960=5.24%
Skins 55/1109=4.96%

The Skins did have less penalties per play. Too many variables to figure out how this effects the offense.

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Penalty % rate per play
Rams 52/960=5.24%
Skins 55/1109=4.96%

The Skins did have less penalties per play. Too many variables to figure out how this effects the offense.

oops it's 1,009 for the Skins... i did a typo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Penalties suck but they're not necessarily a won/loss associated stat. So many playoff teams are high in penalties it's a mess to make sense of.

I want to see them go down of course, but in the end I'm more worried about pressures, as those are what prevent QBs from setting their feet. If the OL can fix that, and if the penalty machine GRob is on the bench where he deserves to be, I like our chances of seeing some better O dudes.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
So, we both had about 18 plays per penalty, given the new information from @Florida_Ram . Meh.

I assume, but won't do the math, that with more production per play it will balance out. I'm hoping anyway.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well a huge difference is the fact that Washington actually moved the ball and scored. So yeah, like every team, there will be penalties, but in the Raams' case whether the play was called a penalty or not, the movement was usually backwards or for no gain :rimshot:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They have seven workouts remaining over the next few weeks, and they also will hold a mandatory mini-camp June 13-15.
For those who may not know, those OTA dates are May 30th & 31st, June 2nd & June 5th thru the 8th!(y);)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Those numbers are surprising. Thinking was these coaches were going to bring some discipline to the Rams. It's not just the the amount of penalties but, the type and timing of penalties as well. Previous Rams teams could not over come untimely penalties and there were many of them.
People don't seem to remember r care about penalties IF your Winning Football games, other than that I defer to what Den-the-Coach said ..

I concur, when your offensive lineman jumps and it's first & 15 under the previous regime Rams were sunk, however, hopefully the Rams will be able to overcome those particular scenarios. Let's be honest all teams commit penalties, even the Patriots (although they are limited) it's how you overcome them that personifies you as a football team.
This^^!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmmmm

So we'll still lead the league in penalties....I hope they aren't the boneheaded type.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If it wasn't a holiday weekend and my time sitting at the computer is at a minimal I might have done it :) Back to the back yard beer drinking.
What's on the BBQ Bro!?! Personally I'm about to go Shopping!!:D