Kirwan's Mock Draft No. 1: Mariota, Winston go 1-2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
2015 NFL Mock Draft No. 1: Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston go 1-2
February 4, 2015 4:01 PM ET

By Pat Kirwan

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...aft-no-1-marcus-mariota-jameis-winston-go-1-2

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon: Right now it appears Jameis Winston is the top pick for many draft followers, but the heavy scrutiny by the coaches and GMs is yet to come.

2. Tennessee Titans -- Jameis Winston, QB Florida State: I don't think Tennessee will stay in this spot but someone desperate for a QB will come up to No. 2 and it is even more likely a trade partner is waiting if Mariota is available.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Leonard Williams, DT USC: Williams is a rare athlete for his size and Gus Bradley's defense needs a dynamic player up front.

4. Oakland Raiders -- Amari Cooper, WR Alabama: The Raiders could go in a number of directions and if for some reason one of the top two quarterbacks are still on the board they should move down and get more picks. Carr needs receivers and Cooper is a solid selection.

5. Washington Redskins -- Randy Gregory, DE Nebraska: If the Redskins resign Brian Orakpo then this pick changes to an offensive tackle, but Gregory is too good to pass up at this spot. He fits in any scheme and would be excellent opposite Ryan Kerrigan.

6. New York Jets -- Dante Fowler, OLB Florida: The Jets have a ton of needs but without a quarterback at this spot it makes sense to get an OLB/pass rusher to get after Tom Brady.

7. Chicago Bears -- Danny Shelton, DT Washington: It's just hard to find 345-lb. men that can run and plug up the middle. Shelton can do those things.

8. Atlanta Falcons -- Vic Beasley, OLB/PR Clemson: The Falcons should draft defense and more defense. They could look at Shane Ray or Dante Fowler if they are still available, but Beasley seems to fit the new scheme.

9. New York Giants -- La'el Collins OT LSU: Lots of tackles to choose from at this point with Peat and Scherff possibly still on the board. Collins demonstrated his versatility at the Senior Bowl and the Giants have had success at LSU in recent years.

10. St. Louis Rams Andrus Peat, OT Stanford: The Rams may have concerns with both offensive tackles and Peat is a plug-in starter.

11. Minnesota Vikings -- Kevin White, WR West Virginia: I think there will be strong consideration for a corner in this spot but White is a big, aggressive receiver that will help Teddy Bridgewater.

12. Cleveland Browns -- Brandon Scherff, OT Iowa: Many believe he will be gone by this point in the draft, but right tackle types usually stay on the board a little longer than expected. This would be a great pick with another first-round selection in seven picks.

13. New Orleans Saints -- Shaq Thompson, Hybrid defender Washington: Rob Ryan likes to have 'jokers' on his defense that can play multiple positions and all three downs. They will look long and hard at guys like Bud Dupree and Vic Beasley if they are still on the board.

14. Miami Dolphins -- Eddie Goldman, DT Florida State: Goldman is a wide body that does the dirty work inside and there's always room for that type of player, especially in Miami.

15. San Francisco 49ers -- DaVonte Parker, WR Louisville: If Michael Crabtree comes back then the Niners will go in a different direction. The defensive line has some serious age and a lack of depth. Malcolm Brown could be under consideration.

16. Houston Texans -- Benardrick McKinney, LB Mississippi State: There are injury and age issues in Houston. This may be considered a reach, but a friend of mine really tried to sell him to me as a top player.

17. San Diego Chargers -- Todd Gurley, RB Georgia: Many believe you should no longer take a running back in the first round and that may be true, but the Chargers need an elite back to go along with that passing attack. If Bud Dupree is still on the board he would be a solid fit.

18. Kansas City Chiefs -- Landon Collins, S Alabama: It is unfortunate but the Chiefs need a safety and Collins is the top-rated one in the draft.

19. Cleveland Browns -- Sammie Coates, WR Clemson: Josh Gordon is done for at least a year, if not all together. Coates had a good Senior Bowl and has the range, target area and explosiveness to help Cleveland right away.

20. Philadelphia Eagles -- Malcolm Brown DL Texas: Any chance Philadelphia has to get bigger on defense has to be taken. Brown will fit right in the rotation and a year from now will be the starter.

21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Trae Waynes, CB Michigan State: The Bengals have some age issues in the secondary and teaming up Waynes with his old college teammate Dennard will help in the transition to a younger secondary.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Quinten Rollins, CB Miami of Ohio: The Steelers need help at the corner and Rollins was the most impressive corner at the Senior Bowl. The former college basketball player likes to hit and he has coverage skills.

23. Detroit Lions -- Jordan Phillips, DT Oklahoma: If Ndamukong Suh or Nick Fairley don't return, the Lions will go to the draft for help. Phillips is a wide body that can be plugged into a rotation.

24. Arizona Cardinals -- Alvin 'Bud' Dupree, DE/OLB Kentucky: If Dupree is on the board this late he is a steal. Every year a few highly-graded players slip into the bottom half of the first round. I suspect he will be higher up in my mock No. 2.

25. Carolina Panthers -- Ereck Flowers, OT Miami: The Panthers O-line has been in flux for a while and Flowers will have a grade higher than this spot and is a great value at this spot.

26. Baltimore Ravens -- Maxx Williams, TE Minnesota: Many coaches have told me Williams is a game breaker. One went as far as to say he was a freak. At any rate he has rare athletic ability and Joe Flacco knows how to feed him the ball.

27. Dallas Cowboys -- Arik Armstead, DE Oregon: The Cowboys need all the defensive players they can find after doing it with mirrors last year.

28. Denver Broncos -- Daryl Williams, OT Oklahoma: A big power blocking right tackle will be an upgrade for the run and pass game. He is versatile enough to play multiple spots.

29. Indianapolis Colts -- Eric Kendricks, LB UCLA: The brother of Mychal Kendricks of the Eagles is an explosive athlete that can play all three downs.

30. Green Bay Packers -- Devin Funchess, TE/WR Michigan: Devin is a hybrid receiver and he could be a big weapon down the middle of the field for Aaron Rodgers. A linebacker or defensive tackle could be in the plans but more scoring power is never a bad thing in Green Bay.

31. Seattle Seahawks -- Carl Davis, DT Iowa: Davis had a solid Senior Bowl week and the Seahawks have drafted well off Senior Bowl performances.

32. New England Patriots -- PJ Williams, CBH Florida State: This pick is based on losing Darrell Revis in the offseason. If the Pats re-sign Revis than this could be the spot for a DT or OT.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No way would I pass on Kevin White in favor of Andrus Peat.

I think Peat looked more like a second half of round 1 OT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have concerns at both tackle spots? I don't think so.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm not sure Peat is the guy...but he may be. He's nasty, and athletic. Final OL rankings to come.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No way would I pass on Kevin White in favor of Andrus Peat.

I think Peat looked more like a second half of round 1 OT.

Peat looks like a pure OLT to me. Rams could use a Swing OT fact is we do not have a swing OT on our roster. The present operational mode if there is a need @ OLT is to yank starting OLG Saffold. But I not in favor of this selection myself. I prefer first La'el Collins who appears to be able to play four OL posts[ORT/OLG/ORG/OLT] or second Brandon Scherff who appears to be able to play 3 OL positions [OLG/ORG/ORT] over Peat.

If the Rams were able to trade down some OT TJ Clemmings could still be a nice fit here too. Clemmings most likely could slide into Davin Joseph ORG post & later with experience move outside to ORT.

The Kevin White I like the most plays CB!(y)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
6974a4d91ee2d44a-826-LoveofPete.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Peat looks like a pure OLT to me. Rams could use a Swing OT fact is we do not have a swing OT on our roster. The present operational mode if there is a need @ OLT is to yank starting OLG Saffold. But I not in favor of this selection myself. I prefer first La'el Collins who appears to be able to play four OL posts[ORT/OLG/ORG/OLT] or second Brandon Scherff who appears to be able to play 3 OL positions [OLG/ORG/ORT] over Peat.

If the Rams were able to trade down some OT TJ Clemmings could still be a nice fit here too. Clemmings most likely could slide into Davin Joseph ORG post & later with experience move outside to ORT.

The Kevin White I like the most plays CB!(y)

I haven't seen a lot of Peat but the little I have he reminded me more of a Nate Solder type. I don't see a road grader in him. I don't really see a ORT either. Now if the Rams for some reason felt that GRob needed to be moved inside, then I guess Solder would be an okay pick, but I don't think that is the plan.

If Snead and Fisher are set on OLine in round1 I much prefer Collins or Scherf also.

But if Kevein White the WR is there at ten, I don't know how they pass on him with Quicks injured shoulder and Tavon not being the dominant force they traded up for. Pick White and WR will finally be set for a long time.

If White is gone, and I suspect he will be, then OLine is probably the BPA, be it Collins or Scherf or trading back a little and taking Tomlinson. Clemmings is so raw though I really don't want him to be the pick. At least GRob had come in with a proven ability to run block. Clemmings. Looks to need a lot of work at both run and pass blocking. He is too raw to use a high first round pick on IMO.

thehammer

Rookie
resign Barksdale daft Peat and sign Hudson C and move Robinson to guard....IMO jury is still out on Robinson as a lt

won't happen but Peat looks to be a 10 starter at lt..every mock looks the same ..too late for a qb and too early for a guard

Athos

Legend
We have concerns at both tackle spots? I don't think so.

Yep. Unless the pick is Clemmings who could probably dominate as an OG or a RT, you trade down for linemen.

Robinson should be fine at LT after a full offseason to learn the position more.

The problem with the Rams line has ALWAYS been up the gut for the last several season. We've had brutal, awful OGs and retread Cs.

Fix the middle, and wow.....suddenly everyone on the line will start playing better imo.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I really don't think the old distinction between OLT and ORT is valid any more due to the prevalence of 3-4 defenses and speed rushers the RT faces.
If we want a RT to run block well just resign Barksadale and keep flexing him out more or help him against speed guys. But he struggled in pass pro.
But if we draft a T that high he needs the feet and reach to play LT so he can pass pro. on the right.

With the Rams preference for old broke down furniture I can see Jake Long at RT next year on the cheap as the Rams go for playmakers first then go int. Oline next.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
On a side note, till I'm proved wrong which may happen I agree those two QB's go 1-2 one way or the other due to the severe drop off after that.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I haven't seen a lot of Peat but the little I have he reminded me more of a Nate Solder type. I don't see a road grader in him. I don't really see a ORT either. Now if the Rams for some reason felt that GRob needed to be moved inside, then I guess Solder would be an okay pick, but I don't think that is the plan.

If Snead and Fisher are set on OLine in round1 I much prefer Collins or Scherf also.

But if Kevein White the WR is there at ten, I don't know how they pass on him with Quicks injured shoulder and Tavon not being the dominant force they traded up for. Pick White and WR will finally be set for a long time.

If White is gone, and I suspect he will be, then OLine is probably the BPA, be it Collins or Scherf or trading back a little and taking Tomlinson. Clemmings is so raw though I really don't want him to be the pick. At least GRob had come in with a proven ability to run block. Clemmings. Looks to need a lot of work at both run and pass blocking. He is too raw to use a high first round pick on IMO.

Nate Solder is a great comp. Exactly how I had him pegged. Im ok with Peat but not at 10. I agree Collins and Schreff are better fits at least for the Rams. White will be hard to pass on at 10 too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would hate to see us pass on Scherff for Peat

If Scherff demonstrates some skills that will translates into being able to handle speed rushers enough to be a good RIGHT OT prospect then I sure would not pass Scherff for Peat.

But that's the big question on Scherff....do you utilize a Top Ten selection on just a OG? Even for a OL fan like me, would want to do that. Especially with the excellent numbers of outstanding OG's in this draft that will be available during the second day of the draft.

One would hope that the Rams (who do not need a OLT) could secure a Right OT who could replace the UFA Barksdale that can handle the speed rushers that Barksdale simply can not do. Plus hope that this same First Round #10 selected OT could also be the swing OT too something the Rams do not have other than in Saffold.

Whomever of these OL prospects who could fill these two very big responsibilities is who we need to look strong @ selecting.