Kiper Talks His Top 5 Mock Draft + His Rams Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN NFL draft Insider Mel Kiper Jr. breaks down the top five selections in his first mock for the 2015 NFL draft. His top 5 are Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Leonard Williams, Amani Cooper, and Randy Gregory.

Watch Kiper Talk Top 5 Mock Draft

===========

2015 NFL Mock Draft: Kiper Mocks A New Tackle To Rams

By 3k  Jan 15 2015

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1/15/7551797/2015-nfl-mock-draft-kiper-mocks-a-new-tackle-to-rams

A new name has popped up as a potential Rams selection via ESPN's draft guru Mel Kiper.

Amid all the early January mockery, one name had yet to weigh in: ESPN's Mock Draft Grandfather Mel Kiper, Jr.

No longer.

The Hair is here with his first mock of the year (helpfully placed behind ESPN's insider paywall because bad), and it has a new name headed to St. Louis. First up though, let's crack that top nine open:

1 Tampa Bay Jameis Winston QB Florida St.
2 Tennessee Marcus Mariota QB Oregon
3 Jacksonville Leonard Williams DL USC
4 Oakland Amari Cooper WR Alabama
5 Washington Randy Gregory DE Nebraska
6 New York Jets Shane Ray DE Missouri
7 Chicago Landon Collins SS Alabama
8 Atlanta Dante Fowler DE Florida
9 Minnesota Brandon Scherff OT Iowa

Much of that top nine is awfully similar to Dan Kadar's updated mock from Monday; the top five are identical and the Fowler to Atlanta pick is the same. Kiper drops Scherff to Minnesota in place of La'El Collins and puts two defenders in the 6 & 7 slots in place of Kadar's selections of WR DaVante Parker and Scherff. So with just one wide receiver and one offensive tackle gone, Kiper has the Rams going with:

T.J. Clemmings (OT, Pittsburgh)

It's hard to argue with position fit as nearly every mock draft since New Year's Day has the Rams going with a tackle. Clemmings is an interesting prospect.

He arrived at Pitt in 2010 as an oversized defensive end and was plugged in right away. He was redshirted however for his true sophomore season which suggested they weren't quite sure how to make use of his mammoth frame an unusual athleticism. His redshirt sophomore season, in 2012, had him begin a transition from defensive end to the offensive line having bloomed into a 300-lb. frame. In his final two seasons, Clemmings was a mainstay at right tackle for the Panthers and flourished in 2014 having picked up much of the technical game for an outside offensive lineman.

He should be a name that pops up as we head into combine season. He's got an NFL frame and moves very well. It's a question of risk. Rams should know about the difficulty of taking an oversized athlete and molding them into a tackle at the professional level...Jason Smith wasn't just a protagonist in your nightmares...

But the draft isn't meant to allow your previous failures to doom your future to a similar fate. It's for reversing the flow of the tide. It's something Clemmings had to do in his position move much to the delight of Pitt's coaches as he was named a second-team All American for his performance in 2014:

"I’ve seen him dominate guys up front this year, and I’ll definitely miss him when he’s gone next year," [Pitt RB James] Conner said.

NFL scouts like Clemmings for his 6-foot-6, 315-pound frame to go along with long arms and good athleticism, but [Pitt Interim Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator Joe] Rudolph and [Offensive Line Coach Jim] Hueber also praised the mental makeup it takes to learn a new position — and do it well — on the fly in just two years.

"I think it’s easy when you first make a move that if it doesn’t go well, you say, ‘Well, that’s the wrong move,’ " Rudolph said. "But to be all in on a really drastic move — different side of the ball, never played it before — I think he’s very strong-minded and he’s obviously got confidence in himself that’s just continued to develop."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kiper mock draft: Rams bolster offensive line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15501/kiper-mock-draft-rams-bolster-offensive-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- We've officially reached mock draft season and ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. provided his first submission Insider on Thursday morning.

Kiper's choice for the St. Louis Rams should come as no surprise in terms of the position though it might qualify in terms of the name. For the Rams, Kiper went with Pittsburgh offensive tackle T.J. Clemmings with the No. 10 overall pick. Clemmings is a 6-foo-4, 313-pound former defensive lineman who converted to offense and is still just scratching the surface of his potential there.

Honestly, I can't say I've watched much of Clemmings but part of Kiper's explanation on what he brings to the table would concern me about the Rams adding him to the mix.

From Kiper's explanation:

[Clemmings] has arguably as high a ceiling as any tackle in this class and won't need to start his career at left tackle.

While I wholeheartedly agree the Rams should try to address the offensive line early and often (barring one of the top quarterbacks falling), I'm not sure another project type would be the way to go. The Rams do have a history of going for upside over polish in the draft and just last year did it at the same position when they went with Greg Robinson at No. 2 instead of Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin. But it would be a bit of a risk to have at least two of your starting linemen trying to learn as they go with the possibility of quarterback Sam Bradford returning from two torn ACLs.

The Rams' specific line needs come on the interior though as right tackle Joe Barksdale's status is uncertain as he heads toward unrestricted free agency. Even if Barksdale returns, the Rams could theoretically plug any lineman drafted in at guard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Be quiet, Wagoner. You have no idea how good that kid is. If the Rams find him on the board at #10, they should be doing backflips to the podium...unless Winston or Mariota are available.

FRO

Legend
Be quiet, Wagoner. You have no idea how good that kid is. If the Rams find him on the board at #10, they should be doing backflips to the podium...unless Winston or Mariota are available.
Would rather have Clemmings than Mariota. May be in the minority on that one.

Athos

Legend
Wagoner just needs to....go away.

I wish we had someone better to report on the Rams. All the Rams guys at the PD are bitter shills or worse. And Wagoner is Wagoner.

Would rather have Clemmings than Mariota. May be in the minority on that one.

Yea, I don't think so.

But Kiper, for once, actually has a pick I can agree with for a change. If the QBs are off the board and TJ is still there, you laugh to the podium.

Question is, do you flip him inside at OG and still re-sign Barks?

FRO

Legend
Wagoner just needs to....go away.

I wish we had someone better to report on the Rams. All the Rams guys at the PD are bitter shills or worse. And Wagoner is Wagoner.

Yea, I don't think so.

But Kiper, for once, actually has a pick I can agree with for a change. If the QBs are off the board and TJ is still there, you laugh to the podium.

Question is, do you flip him inside at OG and still re-sign Barks?
Barks would go inside. Keep the athleticism on the edge.

FRO

Legend
QBs are just too valuable to pass on him.
I'm just leery of a QB who hasn't gone through progressions and hasn't been a pocket guy. Getting RGIII or Kaepernick would improve our QB situation. I'm not sure they are the answer. Mariota is a lot like those two. I would rather draft a guy who I feel can be an elite lineman than get a QB who is solid but has issues doing the small things QBs need to do to be great.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just leery of a QB who hasn't gone through progressions and hasn't been a pocket guy. Getting RGIII or Kaepernick would improve our QB situation. I'm not sure they are the answer. Mariota is a lot like those two. I would rather draft a guy who I feel can be an elite lineman than get a QB who is solid but has issues doing the small things QBs need to do to be great.

I think you're underrating Mariota. He's more advanced mentally than Kaepernick. And RGIII could have been a good player in this league if he had the right mind-set and landed in a better situation imo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
QBs are just too valuable to pass on him.
That's why there would be 5 NFL teams who draft in that top 9 who would not let either one of those two QB's slip past them. No way IMO that that scenario would be there for Snead to have to look at.

ORT T.J. Clemmings would be an outstanding Ram selection no matter what happens with ORT Joe Barksdale UFA action. This Clemmings OL prospect also has the skills to fill the swing OT position something missing on this unit currently. from all that I can find & research on this OL since jrry32 threw his name out, the only real concern is his hand placement as a pass-blocker & just not ready for head to head fights against with NFL speed rushers.

Sounds like the same thing said of OLT Greg Robinson. Just like when the OLT was inserted in the starting OL @ OLG ....ORT Clemmings could be inserted @ ORG with Barksdale @ ORT. To me it makes perfect sense to me that our GM Snead having back to back top 10 selections in the 2014 & 2015 draft that they secure two top OL'ers with such high priceless draft tender (First #2 pick & First #10 pick). Sure would make Sam Bradford very happy that this Org. is in true action mode in serious future investment in getting the Rams QB behind a good OL.

OLT- Robinson 23-2/Baker 27-2/Clemmings
OLG- Saffold 27-5/Person 27-5(UFA)
OC- Barnes 27-4/Rhaney 22-1/Jones 25-3
ORG- Clemmings 23-R/Bond 25-2
ORT-Barksdale 28-5(UFA)/Jones 25-3/Clemmings

jap

Legend
Anyone who makes Sam's life easier in the pocket is a winner for me. I would really love to see Sam behind a decent line and with a decent set of receivers . . . for once!!!