Key Rams for 2015: Offensive tackle Greg Robinson/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Key Rams for 2015: Offensive tackle Greg Robinson
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-rams-for-2015-offensive-tackle-greg-robinson

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Before the St. Louis Rams report for training camp next week, we're taking a look at five players returning to the team who will need to provide more if the team is going to be a playoff contender in 2015.

We continue with offensive tackle Greg Robinson.

Why more is needed: It's probably not fair to Robinson to expect him to become one of the primary bedrocks of the offensive line in just his second season, especially given how much of a learning curve he had when he entered the league. But he was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft and many would argue that draft position alone should bring expectations for production right away. No matter where you come in on that discussion, though, there's no doubt that the Rams need Robinson to take a big step forward this season. That's because, despite starting just 12 NFL games, Robinson is the second-most experienced projected starter on the team's offensive line going into the year. Adding more pressure to the job is the fact that Robinson plays the most important position on the line and will be responsible for new quarterback Nick Foles' blind side. Robinson flashed potential as a rookie but was better at guard than he was at tackle after moving to the outside. There's no denying the size and ability that Robinson has but the Rams simply don't have the time to be patient with him. Robinson had offseason toe surgery but should be at full strength and ready to go when the season starts.

What the Rams need from him: Left guard Rodger Saffold is the only starter on the line with more starting experience than Robinson but Robinson is already in a position where he needs to become a leader for a young line. Beyond that, the Rams need him to play and produce like a former No. 2 overall pick. For Robinson, that means showing rapid improvement, particularly as a pass blocker. Robinson had a tendency to get lost in pass protection, particularly when defensive lines ran stunts and games at him and was also occasionally over aggressive in the run game. The Rams need Robinson to handle talented pass-rushers without having to offer much help and be a hammer in the run game. If he can do that, it would allow rookies Jamon Brown (right guard) and Rob Havenstein (right tackle) and whoever starts at center a little more leeway to get help from tight ends and running backs in pass protection.

Outlook: The good news is that none of the issues Robinson had as a rookie seemed to be physical and were correctable simply by gaining more experience and learning the nuances of the position. Robinson earned praise from the coaching staff during the offseason for his commitment to sharpening up that aspect of his game and Robinson said he and Saffold spent a lot of time together studying film and ironing out details. Likewise, Robinson can settle in at left tackle and devote himself to the position rather than bouncing between guard and tackle like he did as a rookie. It seems unlikely Robinson will make the leap to a Pro Bowl level or better but there are plenty of reasons to believe he'll be markedly better in 2015.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he can be a middle of the road LT overall in his first full season at the position in the NFL, the Rams' line should be in good shape. And he certainly is enough of a mauler to be able to hit that level, though I do expect defenses to throw a lot at him to try to confuse him. But I see him pancaking at least a few players this year, and hammering quite a few others.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
If he can be a middle of the road LT overall in his first full season at the position in the NFL, the Rams' line should be in good shape. And he certainly is enough of a mauler to be able to hit that level, though I do expect defenses to throw a lot at him to try to confuse him. But I see him pancaking at least a few players this year, and hammering quite a few others.

This is all I expect of him this coming season as well which is fine. I don't buy into the view that just because he was the 2nd overall pick, he should be productive straight away. If he goes on to be a dominant LT for the Rams for another 10+ years then there's your justification for taking him 2nd overall.

This is purely a hunch but he doesn't strike me as a natural leader so I wouldn't expect that from him this year. It might come with experience as he gets older but not now. The rookies need to be looking to the likes of Saffold, Barnes and Reynolds for veteran leadership.