Kevin Greene has passed away

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Was a great player and funny guy. I remember listening to Mark and Brian radio every morning in the L.A. area, and I think every Wednesday Kevin Greene would call in and talk to them about football and the Rams. That was in 1989-91 era.
Yep. Kevin Greene. Wow.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Saw this while working many hours ago. I haven't had a chance to give this due respect.

This one is hard. Young age, LA thing, and the "Jack Youngblood" for so many of us.

Saw Jack Youngblood in his glory. Have his Jersey and I have worn it to all the games in LA I have attended. (Season ticket holder from Norcal)

Kevin Greene became my Jack Youngblood during his time before free agency made this a carousel of home time heroes.

Saw him play a few times in person, many more times on the tele.

This one hurts for some of us, as much as any other.

He was one year younger than I. Reflection.......

RIP Kevin. Thank you for being.........you.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
All I can add to the overwhelming sadness and great memories you all have posted is this:

No matter what colors he wore, he ALWAYS WRECKED THE 9ers.

God bless and thank you for being part of all our lives #91.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

That play he made there against the aints was one of the greatest Ram plays of all time. If the aints pick up the 1st down there... and it was like only a yard that they needed... they would have won the game. Instead... Greene does that miracle play and we not only go on to win the game... but that win put us in the playoffs and eliminated the aints from making the playoffs. Without THAT play it doesn't happen. Our barefooted kicker that Georgia was in love with kicked like a 54 yard FG to stop the aints from making the playoffs... it would have been the 1st time that they ever made the playoffs. That happened in their Shit-Dome too.

I have a story about Greene that I've shared before... I'll try and post it up later.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
It's interesting noting that Kevin Greene was actually the Rams' reincarnated Youngblood. He burst on the scene (with very little fanfare) as an unknown LB-DL hybrid right after Youngblood retired and was mostly a backup playing on special teams and only seeing the field on defense in rare substitutions. Mirroring Jack's start back in 1971. Greene was just an average backup type in my eyes. A ho-hum okay great I don't know that you'll be back next year kind of player. I first really took notice of him in 1986 when he had a sack on SNF against the Cowboys. The next time I was aware of his impact was that strange strike shortened scrubs-in-play 1987 season when he jumped to block a Warren Moon swing pass and came up with an equally strange pick 6.

Then in 1988 watching him break out as a sack master put him on the map for good and I became a believer. That SNF game that same year he had one of the greatest games against Montana sacking him 4.5 times. They had FB Rathman blocking him and Green just powered by or jumped over his attempted blocks for the kill. After the whiner-stomping game (38-16 Rams) the story was revealed that during warmups Greene was obsessively calling out "I'm comin' to get you Joe!!!!" at Montana during warmups. 16 just looked at him strangely and said to himself, "okayyyy." And later the sacks poured in. Greene was like a giant swooping bird from an old Hitchcock movie.

For me it went Youngblood, Greene, Carter, nobody, Donald.

Last edited: