Keeping Cory Harkey a key to Rams' offensive plans/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Keeping Cory Harkey a key to Rams' offensive plans
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ing-cory-harkey-a-key-to-rams-offensive-plans

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Lost in the mix of a busy offseason that saw the St. Louis Rams make sweeping changes to the offense from coordinator to quarterback to running back to three spots along the offensive line was a simple move to retain one of their own.

Cory Harkey, the team's resident fullback/tight end/tough guy, quietly signed his one-year restricted free-agent tender offer in March. It didn't move the needle much, especially compared to big-ticket deals like the team's quarterback swap with the Philadelphia Eagles, but it was no less important given the offensive identity the Rams are attempting to forge.

“It’s great to have ‘Hark’ back," Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said. "He really took on a leadership role in the special-teams room and really all over, for that matter. It’s just great to have him back. He’s one of those guys you trust. He’s out every day. He’s tough. He makes plays. It’s good that we got at least another year.”

The Rams don't have a true fullback on the roster, per se, but Harkey has admirably filled that role in addition to his tight end duties. But even with the Rams' efforts to have a power rushing attack as the focal point of the offense, they haven't made a move to get a traditional fullback on the roster. The reason? Harkey.

After entering the league as an undrafted free agent in 2012, Harkey has steadily earned a bigger role. In 2012, he played just 28 snaps in five games, but that total moved up to 361 snaps in 2013 and 349 last season. He probably would've set a new career high in 2014 were it not for an early season knee injury that Harkey managed to play through.

That injury led to Harkey's two worst games as a run blocker last season, according to Pro Football Focus, but as he got back to full strength, he became a key cog in the offense from week to week. He finished with a 1.3 grade in run blocking, which for what it's worth made him one of just three Rams to have a positive run-blocking grade from PFF. It also figures to be his primary focus moving forward.

According to PFF's snap breakdown, Harkey spent 239 of his 349 snaps run blocking in 2014. But that was for a team that didn't run the ball as successfully or as much as the Rams seem to plan to in 2015. The Rams were just 26th in the NFL in rushing attempts last season, handing it off 395 times with an average of 4.14 yards per carry, good for just 17th in the NFL.

This offseason represented a commitment to improving in that area as the Rams spent the No. 10 overall pick in the draft on running back Todd Gurley and four more selections on offensive linemen.

And though it wasn't as clear at the time the team extended Harkey his restricted free-agent offer, bringing him back was also an important part of that plan.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I moved the needle for me Harkey is a beast on an offense that needs someone to be that. Love it when he gets the ball in his hands and I think that part of his game is under-rated. I always expect him to truck someone on the way the end zone and absolutely love that part of the game.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Like Harkey, Bayer too. Could have keep these two, not signed Kendricks and got a good FA veteran OL. At least that's what I would have done. Maybe good thing I ain't in Sneads shoes....maybe

fearsomefour

Legend
Enjoy Harkey greatly.
Resigning Harkey and Kendricks were keys to me for the Rams this offseason.
If he is such a key guy, why only sign a one year deal?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think fans appreciate Harkey because he's a "lunch pale" kind of player. He earned his way onto an NFL roster. When you watch him, he's going 100% all the time.

I love those types.

I will say, however, I've never seen a player who always seems to get hit hard on the knees. Anyone else?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Big really big Cory Harkey fan! I am just fine with Harkey as our starting Fullback.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I moved the needle for me Harkey is a beast on an offense that needs someone to be that. Love it when he gets the ball in his hands and I think that part of his game is under-rated. I always expect him to truck someone on the way the end zone and absolutely love that part of the game.
Yep. I actually pegged him as one of my favorite signings when it came up before. I'm going to guess that even though this article seems to indicate he will be run blocking even more this year, watch for him to make some teams pay - either through not wanting to get up or breaking tackles for some big plays. The guy can make things happen and I think his ball skills are very underappreciated by the media.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Love me some Harkey. Dude's an underrated beast. If he's in the game, you know they are running the ball until this happens...

HarkeyGIF.gif

No sir, you are NOT ankle tackling, pushing him out, or stripping the ball!