Keep Both

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
Sam versus Westbrooks: I think the Rams should treat cuts just like the draft and go with best available. So what if you end up with one more D.E. than you need? They both have proven they belong in this league. In my mind you use the same philosophy as the draft. You draft Donald over HaHa because he's better, even if you need a safety. You keep Sam or Westbrooks over your bottom CB or Safety for the same reason - they're better. Besides, nobody's gonna be looking at who the Rams cut at CB or Safety to put on their team. They'll make it to our practice squad. Sam or Westbrooks would be picked up immediately.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sam versus Westbrooks: I think the Rams should treat cuts just like the draft and go with best available. So what if you end up with one more D.E. than you need? They both have proven they belong in this league. In my mind you use the same philosophy as the draft. You draft Donald over HaHa because he's better, even if you need a safety. You keep Sam or Westbrooks over your bottom CB or Safety for the same reason - they're better. Besides, nobody's gonna be looking at who the Rams cut at CB or Safety to put on their team. They'll make it to our practice squad. Sam or Westbrooks would be picked up immediately.
I think the Rams, and Fisher with the Rams have proven that they are willing to do this type of thing. The question is, are they both top 53 material on this team? And sometimes, you have to keep more at a certain position, because of injuries. I think it's a tough call.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
They may . . . Westbrooks more versitile . . . more of a power player. Sam has value . . . Are Rams happy with Carrington and Conrath?

7 guys are going to get most of the reps. Quinn, Long, Brockers, Langford, Hayes (if healthy), Sims and DOnald. Conrath and Carrington to me, seem in a battle. Carrington with more upside and is a decent kickblocker. And the famous battle of Sam and Westbrooks, which I feel Westrbooks has personally won. But, that does not mean there isn;t a place on the roster for Sam. But, the 53 is one thing. But who are the 8 who will get uniforms on Sunday. to me it's a more important question.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think they go 10 on the DL. That means Conrath doesn't make it. Carrington needs to step up or he'll lose reps to Westbrook. Hayes, if he comes back slow, he make cede reps to Sam. The depth is a good thing. Both guys may be needed.

Alan

Legend
When reading about TC and the preseason, Carrington and Conrath haven't showed squat. I'll be surprised if either of them make it.

Memphis Ram

Legend

BPA within reason is a very good draft strategy. It's also good in forming a roster. But here, the within reason part comes into play.

A 10th defense lineman that doesn't contribute on special teams (per Fisher) can leave the TEAM short a necessary position player elsewhere. And this becomes more noticeable when one participates in the exercise of guessing the 53 man roster.

Do you go into the season with only 3 legit DTs and try to make it with undersized types like Hayes (or Westbrooks if active) playing DT long-term in non obvious passing situations? With Brockers ankles giving out so often now & the 3rd DT Donald being already somewhat undersized by NFL standards?

Do you go into the season with an inexperienced Austin Davis as the backup QB? Or do you bring in a veteran QB and go with 3 QBs until that vet QB is up to speed with the offense? Or do you risk cutting Davis with hopes of placing him on the practice squad and hope Hill doesn't go down before the vet QB pickup is ready?

Do you only go with only 5 LBs to keep him even though this position is crucial for special teams?

Do you go with one less defensive back even with Johnson out the first few weeks? With all the nickel and dime packages and again special teams impact of the position? And the injury history of most of these guys?

Do you initially go with only 4 WRs with Kenny Britt's injury history? A move which also removes a potential special teamer from the gameday roster.

Is the 10th DE more important than the 4th TE who should actually have more of an opportunity to play on gameday and plays special teams?

I don't envy the Rams here at all. But, while Sam may have a place in the NFL, being the 4th LDE on a team and one who has to line up wide to have success, I don't know. IMO, his chances are tied together with the health of William Hayes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gilbert to PS, 2 QB on roster.
Whether its Sam and Westbrooks or an additional Olineman, carrying 3 QB on the final 53 would be a big mistake IMO

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
IMHO Keeping a 10th D-Lineman is only wishful thinking for those who want the Rams to keep Sam around - if he is the 10 D-lineman.

Keeping a 9th DL is somewhat of a luxury these days, so its hard envision how keeping a10th will allow the Rams to maintain roster integrity for a 16 game season. Last season as injuries mounted the Rams were forced to release Rivers (a ninth D-lineman) and now the media is proposing the Rams keep a10th d-lineman as well. Keeping a 10th and maybe even a 9th D-lineman is not realistically sustainable as injuries occur (and they will). Keeping 10 D-linemen ultimately does a disservice to the team. It really only feeds the media's immediate gratification related to generating propaganda about a social event of their own making.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gilbert to PS, 2 QB on roster.
Whether its Sam and Westbrooks or an additional Olineman, carrying 3 QB on the final 53 would be a big mistake IMO

So you'd start the season with the inexperienced Austin Davis as the backup? Or a veteran free agent pickup who may not be familiar with the offense?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
As strange as it sounds, Sam's injury may result in Sam losing a roster spot.

While it was feasible to carry 2 QBs with Bradford and Hill, I think they'll be keeping three (one of which isn't on the roster). This will take away one of those luxury spots, like a 10th DE.

As good as Sam has looked, Westbrooks has looked even better.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I think they go 10 on the DL. That means Conrath doesn't make it. Carrington needs to step up or he'll lose reps to Westbrook. Hayes, if he comes back slow, he make cede reps to Sam. The depth is a good thing. Both guys may be needed.
I hope Hayes comes back wouldn't wany anyone taking his reps, as long as he;s healthy.

Here is an example of what he can do that few can do:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
They've both looked too good to be cut IMHO. I don't think either of them clear waivers and make the practice squad. Re: 2 QBs - yeah that's not good going in with just Hill and A.Davis - but we've gotta make room somewhere...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you'd start the season with the inexperienced Austin Davis as the backup? Or a veteran free agent pickup who may not be familiar with the offense?
I'd go with Davis as backup for week #1 unless he's horrible tomorrow night

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd go with Davis as backup for week #1 unless he's horrible tomorrow night

I'd do the same thing for week one. But, I'd have a veteran on the roster to back him up while learning the offense, too. The sooner he's in, the sooner he can get up to speed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd do the same thing for week one. But, I'd have a veteran on the roster to back him up while learning the offense, too. The sooner he's in, the sooner he can get up to speed.
Totally agree. After week 1 they can get a little cute with roster moves too, and with an early bye week, they might be able to squeak out only a week or two carrying a qb inactive

Also depends on who that "vet" is. I see 2 possibilty, 1) a QB who can make plays with his feet or 2) a guy who they didnt expect to be available who might be a more long term solution for backup

Tonight makes a big difference. I'd give Hill a series or two, and Davis the rest of the game. (I wouldnt be opposed to Hill sitting out entirely)

Big Game

Living The Dream
I think Westbrooks makes the roster and Sam goes on the PS. I don't think they will carry 3 QB's on the 53 Putting Gilbert on the PS is a safe bet i don't think anyone is banging down the door to pick him up. Gilbert and Sam should be safe there.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
The center effed up on that play.
How do you know that? THat would mean protection was going right on the line, maybe they WANTED to double both on the defense left. The center might have called 52 is the mike, meaning that's the way he wanted to go . . . .no way to know any of thta unless you know the call. We don't.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't see how people can say Sam has made a case for himself/ Has he play against the 1's in any of the preseason games? I have only seen him in there against the scrubs while Westbrooks has been starting and doing quite well along with the versatility.

This should be is Sam the best option for the team, same as any other player. Our secondary is short and inexperienced, our Dline is not. Our Oline probably needs more bodies our Dline does not. Our LBs need more bodies. There are just too many other units that need that extra body more so than the Dline.

Keep the best 53

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
How do you know that? THat would mean protection was going right on the line, maybe they WANTED to double both on the defense left. The center might have called 52 is the mike, meaning that's the way he wanted to go . . . .no way to know any of thta unless you know the call. We don't.

It's a guess, and yeah I don't know the call but I bet he wished he went the other way LOL.