KD on why SJ's contract changed; Jackson's thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff said the void provisions (of Jackson's contract) stemmed from concerns expressed by Jackson a year ago, before even the hiring of coach Jeff Fisher.

He had expressed concern about whether this would be another rebuilding project and the direction of the team, ” Demoff said. “Steven has been a great player, a great leader for our team, and he’s never had the chance really to be with a competitive team through no fault of his own.

“And this would allow him, if he was unhappy with the direction of the team after the 2012 season, to look around and be able to leave and to see what free agency would be like. He’s never been a free agent.

“The void was not intended for him to leave; it was intended to give him the option to explore. Obviously, he had a very good season on the field. I think he’s excited about the direction of the team, as we are. How that plays out this offseason, we’ll see.”

“Obviously he’s expressed how much he’s enjoyed his time here,” Demoff said. “And I think for those that are around him, he was the happiest I’ve seen him at the end of the 2012 season with the direction of the team, with Coach Fisher, with this locker room.

“We really had a strong finish and he was part of that. He’s probably more encouraged about his future here than he may been at the beginning of the year. But that being said, he’s been a great player who’s never really gotten a chance to experience a deep playoff run or a Super Bowl.

“Obviously for any player who gets towards the end of their career, they’ve got to make a decision on how important that is to them. And whether they can get there in their current spot or whether they’ve gotta go somewhere else. I think he’ll make his decision on where he has the best chance of winning more than anything else.”

And Jackson's after-season thoughts:

“The tide has turned around here,” Jackson said the day after the Rams’ season-ending loss to Seattle. “Last year at this time we were filled with uncertainty, and what direction we would go. Coach Fisher came in right away and made an impact, bring in guys like Cortland (Finnegan), and drafting guys like (Michael) Brockers and (Janorris) Jenkins.

“Those guys are going to be around here for a while. And are gonna help turn this franchise around. ... I would hate to watch this organization go and be successful — as I believe they will — without me.”

SOURCE

Lesson

Oh, really?
As much as I don't want it to happen, giving SJ the option to explore other possibilities was the right thing for all he has done with the Rams and what he has done in the community. He's the last player currently on the team who has been with the Rams in the playoffs(his rookie year) as well as being the longest tenured Ram.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lesson said:
As much as I don't want it to happen, giving SJ the option to explore other possibilities was the right thing for all he has done with the Rams and what he has done in the community. He's the last player currently on the team who has been with the Rams in the playoffs(his rookie year) as well as being the longest tenured Ram.
Yeah, I agree. And it gives him the power to come back on his terms. I've always felt that Jackson has a bit of an ego, fueled by his stature as a veteran and mentor. He's always talking about his role as "teacher" to the rookies and younger players, and I think he loves being in that role. It makes him feel important. That's not a slight or anything, it's just something I've been picking up on. If you give someone with an ego like that, power to call the shots, then they're likely going to go back into the situation that gave them that power.

Smart play by Demoff, IMO.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
Lesson said:
Yeah, I agree. And it gives him the power to come back on his terms. I've always felt that Jackson has a bit of an ego, fueled by his stature as a veteran and mentor. He's always talking about his role as "teacher" to the rookies and younger players, and I think he loves being in that role. It makes him feel important. That's not a slight or anything, it's just something I've been picking up on. If you give someone with an ego like that, power to call the shots, then they're likely going to go back into the situation that gave them that power.

Hadn't thought about it like that.

I also think it shows a huge sign of respect from the Rams front office considering Jackson would have had the option if he met a certain milestone(s)(I can't remember what milestone(s) those were). I view this as the FO keeping their word even though he fell a bit short to reaching those milestones.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lesson said:
X said:
Lesson said:

Hadn't thought about it like that.

I also think it shows a huge sign of respect from the Rams front office considering Jackson would have had the option if he met a certain milestone(s)(I can't remember what milestone(s) those were). I view this as the FO keeping their word even though he fell a bit short to reaching those milestones.
Yessir.

If he averaged 1,200 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving from 2008-2011 he would be able to void the final 2 years of his contract.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
X said:
Lesson said:

Exactly. And not only that, plus the fact that he Has been a great teacher, mentor, and role model for the younger guys. Gotta find a way to keep him here.

GO RAMS!!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I want SJ back!

I hope a win-win deal is worked out. I think it will.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I hate this topic for two reasons, ONE it's ALL been said two I can't help saying it :lmao:

IF THEY DON'T re sign Jackson they had better make the playoffs or IMO the fan base will turn on Fisher and company.

Whoever has stuck by this team throughout this long miserable 7 years since Martz was fired and the Zygmuntification took deep roots did so with a single consistent bright spot, Steven Jackson ,this fan base is energized but the fund of energy will be greatly depleted by losing him. I for one will see it much like I did losing Grant Wistrom.
As SJ plays the next 3 years he will surpass a number of HOF players in statistics ,I want those milestones to be marked in a Ram uniform, I want Fisher to succeed IMO those things will complement one another and the pride in this franchise can grow with them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
I hate this topic for two reasons, ONE it's ALL been said two I can't help saying it :lmao:

IF THEY DON'T re sign Jackson they had better make the playoffs or IMO the fan base will turn on Fisher and company.

Whoever has stuck by this team throughout this long miserable 7 years since Martz was fired and the Zygmuntification took deep roots did so with a single consistent bright spot, Steven Jackson ,this fan base is energized but the fund of energy will be greatly depleted by losing him. I for one will see it much like I did losing Grant Wistrom.
As SJ plays the next 3 years he will surpass a number of HOF players in statistics ,I want those milestones to be marked in a Ram uniform, I want Fisher to succeed IMO those things will complement one another and the pride in this franchise can grow with them.

That's a good point.

Want to build fan pride? Have SJ run into the record books on a winning team.

St. Louis has always embraced/elevated its sports legends in those situations.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i can't see any other result than sjax playing for the rams. no team is gonna break the bank to sign him. and he realises the rams look like the real deal and have just as good a chance as any other team to make the playoffs.