KC TD catch????

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree. He had his hands past the middle of the ball. It wasn't full control until it hit the ground and he rolled over and moved his hands for a better grip. The ground aided the catch, or the control of the catch, which isn't a catch. He didn't look completely in control until he was on his back.

I don't know what you're seeing. He had two hands on the ball, and it didn't move (I don't care where his hands were). The fact is that the tip of the ball hit the ground, and it still didn't move. There was absolutely no movement until he rolled over and had the ball raised above his body. At that point, it moved slightly when his elbow hit the ground. If he didn't have control of the ball, it would have moved when it struck the ground.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Did you see the TD pass to Thelien that was overturned last week against the Panthers? I don't know what a catch is anymore. But yeah, the 4 points didn't make a difference down the road. SMH. He caught it, brought down in the end zone, then while sliding out of bounds the ball moved just a little. Never lost it. Almost as bad as Keenum forward fumble.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe the refs should limit their involved in these types of plays/decisions. If the guy makes a great play, give him the call. In this case, that was a touchdown! How many times have we seen a great TD catch or run, and the refs are reviewing the replays trying to decide if a blade of grass touched the guy's foot? A "tie" should always go to the player making the play. Refs should also be allowed to "pick up their flags" if they decide that the penalty committed had zero effect on the play, or if replays show very little evidence of the infraction... like Aaron Donald's leverage penalty, for example.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
What are you talking about? He had two hands on the ball, and it wasn't moving. That's full control. The fact that it touched the ground is irrelevant to control. Anytime you're falling towards the ground and catching the ball like that, it's going to hit the ground. The question isn't if the ball it hit the ground. It's if the receiver maintained control through contact with the ground. It's clear as day that Hunt did.
I think what he's getting at is that the ball was so loose in his hands that he was unable to bring it in bc it would have fallen out.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
If he had complete control, the ball wouldnt have even touched the ground bc he would have been able to bring it in.

fearsomefour

Legend
If you have control, the ball can hit the ground. You just have to maintain control through contact with the ground. Hunt did.
The hands were moving, although it looked like he had control of the ball.
I think what did him in was when he was on his back he removed one hand from the ball then out the second hand back on the ball and moved his hand. Gave the impression of not having the ball under control.
The rule is strange now. The old rule that's not a catch because the ball hit the ground (and presumably helped him catch the ball). Now it can and all this vague judgement stuff has been added to the rule. Made it much worse.
Not sure it was the right call but I see why they ruled as they did.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
It all depends if you have Kareem hunt on your fantasy team. Since I don't, I considered it incomplete. Now, had he been on my team, I would have been livid;-)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Meh, that one can go either way as far as I am concerned. Looked like the ground aided the catch a bit...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think what he's getting at is that the ball was so loose in his hands that he was unable to bring it in bc it would have fallen out.

If the ball was loose in his hands, it would have moved when it contacted the ground.

If he had complete control, the ball wouldnt have even touched the ground bc he would have been able to bring it in.

That's not physically possible. He's going to the ground and reaching down to get the ball.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
If the ball was loose in his hands, it would have moved when it contacted the ground.

That's not physically possible. He's going to the ground and reaching down to get the ball.
How is that physically impossible? If he had complete control of the ball before it hit the ground he could have pulled it in towards him.

Edit. If you watch it again, he is falling backwards, but he positions himself forward to grab the ball. The ball BARELY touches the ground bc he purposely used it to better his grip. There was not enough force on the ball to knock it loose bc the weight of his body is moving backwards, not forwards on top of the ball. Once he has a better grip he falls backwards.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you see the TD pass to Thelien that was overturned last week against the Panthers? I don't know what a catch is anymore. But yeah, the 4 points didn't make a difference down the road. SMH. He caught it, brought down in the end zone, then while sliding out of bounds the ball moved just a little. Never lost it. Almost as bad as Keenum forward fumble.

He bobbled the ball when he was out of bounds. That's the definition of no catch.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No he didn't ball was still sliding around when it hit the ground

No, it wasn't. There is video evidence, and it clearly shows the ball didn't move an inch until after he was holding it above his body.

How is that physically impossible? If he had complete control of the ball before it hit the ground he could have pulled it in towards him.

Edit. If you watch it again, he is falling backwards, but he positions himself forward to grab the ball. The ball BARELY touches the ground bc he purposely used it to better his grip. There was not enough force on the ball to knock it loose bc the weight of his body is moving backwards, not forwards on top of the ball. Once he has a better grip he falls backwards.

Try falling down while reaching down to catch a football. You'll see how it's physically impossible for you to pull the ball back to you before you or the ball makes contact with the ground.

I've watched it many times. I don't see what you're seeing. He didn't change his grip whatsoever until he was holding the ball above his body.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
No, it wasn't. There is video evidence, and it clearly shows the ball didn't move an inch until after he was holding it above his body.

Try falling down while reaching down to catch a football. You'll see how it's physically impossible for you to pull the ball back to you before you or the ball makes contact with the ground.

I've watched it many times. I don't see what you're seeing. He didn't change his grip whatsoever until he was holding the ball above his body.
I have fallen down backward while catching a ball falling in front of me and it was not physically impossible for me to pull my arms in toward my body. If he can move his entire torso forward while falling backward, there's no way its impossible for him to bring his arms in.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No catch for me too....just moved after he controlled it....after it hit ground...

I say you gotta control it b4 the ground touch....and definitely can't have ANY movement after said touching of ground

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have fallen down backward while catching a ball falling in front of me and it was not physically impossible for me to pull my arms in toward my body. If he can move his entire torso forward while falling backward, there's no way its impossible for him to bring his arms in.

That's not the same situation. Your arms aren't extending the same direction as you're falling.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
That's not the same situation. Your arms aren't extending the same direction as you're falling.
Hunt is falling backwards, but he moved his body forward to make the catch. So the momentum of his body is going the opposite direction of how he positioned his body to make the catch.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, brothaman. See you in the celebration thread! (y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hunt is falling backwards, but he moved his body forward to make the catch. So the momentum of his body is going the opposite direction of how he positioned his body to make the catch.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, brothaman. See you in the celebration thread! (y)

He's falling backwards, and the ball was thrown behind him.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

We will have to agree to disagree