Karraker: The 2012 Rams are like an expansion team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just so I'm not giving the wrong impression here, and so that some don't misinterpret what I'm doing as attacking zn, let me just clarify. I am, after all, subject to be banned by the power hungry mods I put in place.

I'm just making light of the situation because I didn't want the thread to devolve into a retread of the thread about rebuilding/not rebuilding. Maybe I phrased the title wrong, but that's really the only thing about Karraker's article that caught my eye. I was just trying to point out that expansion teams start out with this newness about them. New coach, new assistants, new players, rookie heavy roster competition and multiple picks in the draft. It wasn't my intention to say they're rebuilding. Whether or not they are is irrelevant to *me*.

So, I henceforth apologize for any antagonism on my part. I'm only breaking balls and sometimes it may not seem like it when I do. For the record, I was smiling after every post. Kinda of like an evil grin. And if I was doing it face to face with you zn, you would know immediately that I was joking.

You: I'm talking about rebuilds
Me: What kind?
You: Well, this one, and it's not.
Me: Not what?
You: A rebuild.
Me: What about it?

And so it would go until you looked at me like this -- :neh:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
:tooth:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WqoHyG-uIM[/youtube]

Anonymous

X said:
Just so I'm not giving the wrong impression here, and so that some don't misinterpret what I'm doing as attacking zn, let me just clarify. I am, after all, subject to be banned by the power hungry mods I put in place.

I'm just making light of the situation because I didn't want the thread to devolve into a retread of the thread about rebuilding/not rebuilding. Maybe I phrased the title wrong, but that's really the only thing about Karraker's article that caught my eye. I was just trying to point out that expansion teams start out with this newness about them. New coach, new assistants, new players, rookie heavy roster competition and multiple picks in the draft. It wasn't my intention to say they're rebuilding. Whether or not they are is irrelevant to *me*.

So, I henceforth apologize for any antagonism on my part. I'm only breaking balls and sometimes it may not seem like it when I do. For the record, I was smiling after every post. Kinda of like an evil grin. And if I was doing it face to face with you zn, you would know immediately that I was joking.

NOW you're saying they ARE REBUILDING?

I AM COMPLETELY CONFUSED.

green13-shocked-senior-man-0409-lg-88069868.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:

NOW you're saying they ARE REBUILDING?

I AM COMPLETELY CONFUSED.

green13-shocked-senior-man-0409-lg-88069868.jpg
They already rebuilt. You weren't online when they did it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
For the sake of argument, let's just say they're not rebuilding. I'm fine with that.

I'm OK with dodging reality to every now and again.

But it's still a rebuild.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:
X said:
For the sake of argument, let's just say they're not rebuilding. I'm fine with that.

Some think so, some don't.

Doesn't really matter anyway, ya asshat. :lol:

I was wondering when you'd make your debut, but I knew it would be in this thread.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
zn said:
Angry Ram said:
9 new rookie starters? Or 9 new starters total?

Wells, Finnegan, Langford, whoever @ LG, both OLB...all vets or if Mattison gets the LG spot, a 2nd year guy. They are all vets, 2 of them Pro Bowl vets.

Brockers, Jenkins are the only rooks having starting spots.

Counting the 22.

Bearing in mind that some of these are not filling holes. Bartell was fine. As he is proving this summer. Adding Finnegan was not filling a hole, it was bringing in a system- and coach-familiar vet. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not filling a hole. That's also true of Dunbar. They would have replaced Robbins anyway cause he tanked (same with Brown) so none of that is "changing direction and starting over," which is the only definition of a rebuild I ever use (or accept).

So that's Jenkins, Finnegan, Dunbar, the SLB whoever he is, Langford, Brockers, the LOG whoever he is, Wells, we don't know about receiver but Amendola will be their chief guy...I count WR as one. I have a caveat on ROT cause I think Smith will be the starter.

9. If Richardson plays all season, 10.

The rest regarding the future is speculation. No one knows who will stick and who won't cause they're young. Very good chance JL, Quinn, Long, Saffold, and Bradford (in spite of some over-reacting to one PS game) will stick.

But not knowing cuts both ways. It can't be a rebuild if you have a team so young you don't know. That's "not knowing." Rebuilding is unambiguous. In a rebuild you KNOW. You make a deliberate effort to start over and strip the team accordingly--because it has poor players, not because you're switching Bartell for Finnegan, both of whom are clearly good starters.

No one argued they weren't rebuilding in 2009. They were deliberately stripping it all down and starting over. They had problematical leftovers like Barron, not guys they clearly count on like Saffold. It was clear. Everyone knew it. There was no debate over it.

Of the remaining players the only ones in any real danger of being replaced in the immediate future are the safeties. Everything else is up in the air because it's a young team.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that Karraker is single-handedly the weakest analyst of anyone who writes on the Rams. His impressionistic, unanalytical beliefs on this strike me as completely dead wrong.

You're right. Expansion teams get rid of everyone and have 2 start from scratch. The Rams have guys already in place.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Iron Lion said:
Bulletin board material?
I usually go with cork, but particle wood works just as well.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
X said:

Wait a minute I thought you were calling it "not a rebuild" to avoid and argument.

NOW I'm certain it's a rebuild