Karraker: St. Louis Should Be Rams’ Permanent Home, Plain and Simple

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
no, that was out of line, but to say that St Louis writers haven't a clue on sports climate in LA since they never attended a game there, should go both ways, LA writers don't come here for games either. all the media should STFU but that's going to happen.
Yup. And it's going to get worse.

Demoff said things are gonna get ugly next year if this thing isn't resolved by then. Now I know what he means.

I didn't think the media was gonna take shots at the fans, but I was wrong.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Randy said on the radio today "the LA Rams fans that are still alive" in a derogatory manner.

I felt like saying, fuck you Randy, I'm still alive, and you can drop dead, when I heard that.

Must have a chip on his shoulder to say something like that.

I don't know why a professional broadcaster would even go their.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Spoken like a true LA fan.
eyeroll.gif

lol. just clownin' you, dawg.

:p

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

It was a stupid thing for him to say on the radio. He just insulted all the fans that have rooted for the Rams before 1995.

Sounds to me like a Randy has no use for any Rams player prior to 1995 or any Rams fan who rooted for the team prior to 1995.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Things happen like that sometimes.

A few years back, Jeff Gordon said in one his chats that, basically, he was a St. Louis guy and thus did not care about the Rams' Los Angeles history.

Which made it really weird when he joined the rest of the P-D staff in protesting how it was supposedly such a violation of history when Todd Hewitt got fired. My personal theory is that Hewitt was an "anonymous source" for the paper and that was at least part of the reason why he got fired and why the paper got so mad. I can't prove it though.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Aside from the terrible, whiny writing style, Carrikers piece just reeks of amateurism. Wow that was tough to read. I live in Maryland BTW, so I have no dog in this fight, I just think this jackass makes for a poor example of the fans in St. Louis, not to mention the media.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
to be fair, he was countering a very LA biased opinion by an LA writer, whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
To be fair he shit all over LA fans and players without having a clue as to what he was saying. Something the LA biased writer did not do to St Louis fans and players in his own article.

Sorry but as someone who has watched and cheered for this team throughout and has spent plenty on merchandise and going up to Seattle and down to SF to watch them, Randy can go fuck himself. Sorry if this is overly blunt or seems rude but...

If you are going to move a team and keep the name, the logo, and the colors (before 2000) then you are bringing everything else with them and reaping the benefits INCLUDING my money and the money and support of Rams fans throughout the globe. Don't complain that fans who grew up cheering for the LA Rams and still live in LA want them back.

And as to ED, he was a lightning rod when in LA. He was holding out mid way through his first NFL contract instead of reporting to the team. The team had a policy invoked by Georgia/Shaw/Zygmunt to not negotiate extensions until the end of a contract. Coach Robinson even talked about that as much as he wanted ED back, he thought it was selfish of Eric to take the position that he wouldn't play until his contract demands were met. At that point, many of the LA fans turned on ED. It was a sad time. We had probably the best RB to ever strap on a helmet and all we as fans really knew was that he was holding out for more money. Unfortunately for Georgia and Shaw, that also was a turning point in their relationship with the fans. The fans became more and more aware that Georgia just wanted to squeeze as much money out of the franchise and more skeptical that she had any intent of doing what was necessary to put a winner on the field.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Lakers attendance is fine..... All LA sporting attendance is great in fact. Maybe 15 years ago it was like that, but really since LA live was built up it hasn't been the case.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lakers attendance is fine..... All LA sporting attendance is great in fact. Maybe 15 years ago it was like that, but really since LA live was built up it hasn't been the case.
Even before that with the Lakers. They historically have better attendance figures than even the Boston Celtics. The Clippers really gained from the move though. Their previous venue always felt like you were attending a convention more than a game. Of course they were just plain bad for most of that time too so...

Boffo97

Name
Dave
And as to ED, he was a lightning rod when in LA. He was holding out mid way through his first NFL contract instead of reporting to the team. The team had a policy invoked by Georgia/Shaw/Zygmunt to not negotiate extensions until the end of a contract. Coach Robinson even talked about that as much as he wanted ED back, he thought it was selfish of Eric to take the position that he wouldn't play until his contract demands were met. At that point, many of the LA fans turned on ED. It was a sad time. We had probably the best RB to ever strap on a helmet and all we as fans really knew was that he was holding out for more money. Unfortunately for Georgia and Shaw, that also was a turning point in their relationship with the fans. The fans became more and more aware that Georgia just wanted to squeeze as much money out of the franchise and more skeptical that she had any intent of doing what was necessary to put a winner on the field.

Dickerson seemed to change his tune later. The one year he was a sideline reporter for Monday Night Football was Jerry Rice's last year in San Fran. Dickerson reported from the sideline and did a full on rant about how it's important to stay with your team.

Al Michaels was taken a little aback when they cut back to him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What Randy left out of his argument was that if Stan builds a great facility filled with luxury boxes, L.A. Will be much more likely to keep them filled, than St. Louis is. Plus the stadium itself, will become a part of the attraction. The Rams will become a much more sexy team with movie stars in attendance. The climate would be a selling point to Free Agents, too.

I live in PA btw. So I don't have a dog in the fight but I thnk moving the team to L.A. Has been the plan since Stan took over. From an investment standpoint the Rams in L.A.will be a more lucrative venture over time. The dome upgrades negotiations were just to clear the Rams of legal proceedings when they move. I even recall a photo in Demoffs office of a dark blue Rams helmet with chrome horns...new colors for when the move is made?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For all my ire at Randy for his dissing of LA Fans and former great players, I disagree. The Rams are staying in St Louis if Stan has his way. Period.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
"arguing over who owns them is like two fleas arguing over who owns the dog "

Boffo97

Name
Dave
For all my ire at Randy for his dissing of LA Fans and former great players, I disagree. The Rams are staying in St Louis if Stan has his way. Period.
I think Stan is going to do what makes Stan the most money, regardless of personal geographic loyalties.

After all, if Stan getting his way = staying in St. Louis, he could do that right now. Call a press conference and announce "We're staying in St. Louis forever!" He's not doing that, because he cheats himself that way.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have always liked Randy, and is is a bit out of character for him even though I can understand wanting to smack back at the lazy reporting from the guy in LA. He said a couple of things that are borderline in poor taste and I would like to see him retract them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Stan is going to do what makes Stan the most money, regardless of personal geographic loyalties.

After all, if Stan getting his way = staying in St. Louis, he could do that right now. Call a press conference and announce "We're staying in St. Louis forever!" He's not doing that, because he cheats himself that way.

Despite the fact that it's fairly clear that he can make much more money owning a stadium in STL there are still fans insisting that if he farts in a certain direction on Wednesdays it means the Rams are moving back to LA.

Shane Gray has done the best job laying out the scenarios in each market and how it fits SKs business model, which is totally consistent and has been for many years, and why LA actually doesn't make sense.

If you haven't read it you should, I think there is a link in this thread or one of the others about the Rams moving.......it's hard to keep track of all of the threads spread out over the web since he land purchase.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Nick Wagoner
(2:22 PM)

I've seen speculation that the league wouldn't charge a relocation fee because the Rams already played in L.A. but I don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

Do you think this would change his mind?