Kaepernick's agents have requested permission from team to seek a trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't want Kaep. He is like RG3 in that he needs an offense with simplified reads, he just doesn't have the mental acumen the Rams will be looking for. If they go after him it's gonna be a painful season with a plodding, dumb offense IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've seen this reported from a lot of different sources, but I'm yet to hear what the 49ers have said.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not what I want to hear.
What I want to hear is, that the whiners are rolling with Kap and they have too many other holes to fill in the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
FN whiners man. You just knew they'd end up taking a QB. Yet another reason to hate them, as if we didn't have enough reasons already.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
image.jpg

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

The Gm said just in the past couple of days that he would absolutely be on their roster March 1st...Wonder which one is closest to the truth ??? I also wonder if he did indeed ask to explore the trade market, whether it might be an old item...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It depends on our desire to draft a QB. How much do we plan to give on a trade up... And can this regime afford to wait on a rookie?

I'm not closing the door on the possibility to acquire CK.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
It's my understanding that his contract is only guaranteed for injury. He's not passing a physical by 4/1 so they have to pay him no matter what.

Ram65

Legend
Fisher showed they league how to defend him. I highly doubt the Rams would want him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://overthecap.com/kaepernick-to-seek-trade-fro-49ers/

It’s NFL Combine time and with the Combine always comes contract news and today’s big story is that Colin Kaepernick has asked to seek a trade from the 49ers. This comes just one day after San Francisco indicated they were committed to having the quarterback on the roster this year, but also seemed to indicate that he would compete for the starting job. You can read between the lines on that and it seemed that Kaepernick’s agents did just that. So let’s briefly look at his contract, who could be interested and what the price might be.

If a team believes they are getting a starter in Kaepernick his contract is relatively cheap by quarterback standards. Kaepernick is under contract for the next 5 years at an average of $17.9 million per year with no real guarantees in his contract. That salary would rank 14th in the NFL. His current salary of $14.3 million ranks 13th in the NFL. Those numbers will both fall further as new contracts are signed. So if a team believes that he is a good player, this is a very affordable deal.

Here are some thoughts on who may be the QB needy teams:

Browns– I believe Browns head coach Hue Jackson was a fan of Kaepernick’s when he came out from college and was looking to draft him. They have no quarterback on the roster, draft picks to burn and low expectations since this has been a QB wasteland for years. This would seem like a good destination in a trade.

Texans– The Texans played musical quarterbacks last season in hopes of finding anything of value. They have a terrific defense that is going to be wasted without a QB. They likely will part ways with Arian Foster this year so having a more athletic QB may help. Kaepernick would get a chance to play with an elite wide receiver here who catches everything and the playing conditions are better than they would be in the northeast. The downside is the coach may just as quickly pull Kaepernick after a bad game as he would a journeyman starter.

Rams– There are a lot of similarities between the Texans situation and Rams one. This is a team that has been held down because of shoddy QB play and is desperate for a QB. They already have a dominant running back though they lack the star wideout. I can’t see the 49ers trading him in the division however.

Jets- The Jets won 10 games last year with Ryan Fitzpatrick, but Fitzpatrick is likely not a long term answer which could make Kaepernick a consideration. The Jets are not really built for a developing quarterback though so the Jets would need to be 100% convinced that Kaepernick is the guy if they swung this trade. He would bring a more dynamic presence to the team but I think the risk may outweigh the reward.

Broncos- Peyton Manning can’t play anymore and Brock Osweiler is a free agent, but I don’t see this as a fit at all. I don’t think Kaepernick’s playing style meshes with the Broncos approach. They would be better off keeping Osweiler or signing a RG3 type project.

Eagles– Philadelphia is reportedly trying to keep Sam Bradford but this might be a cheaper option for them. I’m not sure if Kaepernick is accurate enough for what they want to run and he could completely melt down in front of a very difficult crowd. I don’t think this would be a good spot for him at all.

So it’s really not a huge list of teams but it should be enough to get a deal done. Id think the Rams lurking out there gives some teams the motivation to trade for him rather than hoping he gets cut. Once April 1 passes and his salary is guaranteed for the year teams also will realize they have no other way of getting him.

How much will it cost in a trade? Kaepernick is still young and just a few years removed from being considered a big star. Here is the listing of some trades for starters that I could think up as moves for starters:

eBXrjZe.jpg

You can draw your own conclusions but it would be surprising if the 49ers would be willing to trade him for less than a 2nd and another pick. Given that they traded Alex Smith for a 2nd and a conditional 2nd a year after benching him I’d think that is where they would want to go.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
How can you root for a guy you've spent so long hating? He'd have to have some serious talent and I don't believe he does.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Hell no. The Rams have 3 guys better than Kap. And I can't root for a QB that has a smaller brain than I do. If paleontologists dig his ass up in a 1000 years. They are gonna think they found some kind of prehuman, missing link, when they see that tiny little skull of his.