Kaepernick to Pats?/Raiders?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are no real guarantees that kap would be a better QB. He really wasn't that good when he was playing. Actually, pretty damn bad that last year. And that was is a QB friendly Chip Kelley offense. He asked for a release because he didn't want to come in the next year and have to earn the starting position. He wanted it handed to him.
His talent as a QB is that of a pure back up IMO. If was had Franchise, #1 ability, he would be playing in the NFL. He doesn't. So he isn't.

I've never said he should be a #1. What I've said is that the Rams need a better #2 than Mannion, and that Kaepernick is better than Mannion, while being available without a trade. I would be glad for an alternative, which nobody seems to offer while criticizing Kaepernick.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I've never said he should be a #1. What I've said is that the Rams need a better #2 than Mannion, and that Kaepernick is better than Mannion, while being available without a trade. I would be glad for an alternative, which nobody seems to offer while criticizing Kaepernick.
The criticism for Kap is well deserved. Even before the protests, he was being questioned about his commitment to the game and his position.
I understand, that many believe that he is absolutely a better QB option than Mannion. I'm not saying he isn't, but I'm certainly not convinced that he is either. If Kap couldn't run Kelleys offense, why should I believe that he could run McVays.
The guy just has "no" written all over him for us.

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
There are no real guarantees that kap would be a better QB. He really wasn't that good when he was playing. Actually, pretty damn bad that last year. And that was is a QB friendly Chip Kelley offense. He asked for a release because he didn't want to come in the next year and have to earn the starting position. He wanted it handed to him.
His talent as a QB is that of a pure back up IMO. If was had Franchise, #1 ability, he would be playing in the NFL. He doesn't. So he isn't.

His biggest problem is that he doesnt want to put in the work to be great. Kurt Warner worked with him one off season and what Kurt didnt say speaks volumes. Warner didnt throw him under the bus and I cant remember exactly what he said, but it boiled down to kap didnt want to learn to read Ds, study tape and work with his WRs to develop chemistry. Pretty much everything an NFL QB has to do to be successful kap wasnt willing to do.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And again - I know Kaepernick has flaws. So does Mannion. There is reason to believe - based on his performance in actual NFL games - that he is better than Mannion. I believe the Rams are gambling big time by not attempting to upgrade their backup QB. If Goff gets injured and has to miss several games, that could easily cost home field advantage in the playoffs.

I would rather the Rams try to upgrade than count on a QB who has looked very poor on the field in games, and who looked miserable in preseason games this year. Maybe he's better than that, but there's not actually much evidence of that. If there is a better upgrade option than Kaepernick - great. Who is he? What will he cost? If not too much, fantastic. But if the options are between a bad choice, and somebody who needs to learn the system but is otherwise a better choice, then bring in the latter for a few weeks and then cut Mannion, or keep both or whatever. I just am a big believer in depth, especially in such a key position as QB.

Hopefully McVay will develop a pipeline within a couple of seasons, and such hard choices won't be necessary again.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Kap, simply isn’t a good NFL player . He was a great college player. Once the NFL adjusted to him, he wasn’t a high caliber QB. With his athleticism , he can make plays, but his attitude, disruptive...the juice doesn’t equal the squeeze.

Not ecstatic over the whole Nike thing, nor what he pretends to stand for, save that for people who really want to, and strive to, make a difference.

For perspective, without the distraction and B.S., Kap > Mannion.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
So Mannion has shown the ability to make the reads and the throws? When? Not in his start last season. Not in preseason games.

Or do you think that if Kaepernick were to start for a couple of games, that McVay wouldn't be able to adjust to the players he has?

I figure that Cooks, Kupp, and Woods would be able to adjust to what was needed. It wouldn't be nearly as good as with Goff throwing - but Kaepernick wouldn't be in if Goff were available. The question is - what would give the Rams the best chance to win - Mannion or Kaepernick? Based on his preseason and previous NFL experience, I have little faith in Mannion. I hope I'm wrong.
I wasn't defending Mannion.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

I disagree that Kaepernick is better than Mannion. I'm not saying the Rams should not replace Mannion, just that Kaepernick is not a better option- or at least not better enough option to outweigh the negatives he brings.

Rainram

Starter
I do not like our backup QB situation. But I would take Mannion over Kaepernick from a sheer football perspective.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
IMO - if there’s a definition of a system QB it’s Kaep. And this ain’t that system. McVay genius aside, part of that genius is getting parts that fit. When outside of Harblow’s system has Kaep shined?

And sorry but I’m not going to ignore the distraction aspect. It’s real with this guy and I feel he relishes in it.

So say we need a better back up than what we have. Ok. But with being away from the game and game speed as Krap has been along with no real evidence that he would currently be even the player he was when he last played, I’m thinking it would be a huge mistake to bring him in.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
So. The sample size to determine how good Mannion can be with a full team of starters is completed. Interesting.
If McVay believes in Mannion as number 2, so do I.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I would be glad for an alternative, which nobody seems to offer while criticizing Kaepernick.
Mark Sanchez
Derek Anderson
Matt Moore
The dude who put the cold-air intake in my Mazda

jacktheripper85

Starter
A “TRUE” Ram fan would NEVER want an ex-Forty Niner on this team to win a Super Bowl on the coattails of the core of this team. I don’t care if we were talking about Montana, Young or Crappernick-who by the way is the biggest scumbag ex-Forty Niner. Sorry, but when my Super Bowl winning QB is hoisting up the Lombardi I want to be hoisting up my drink in celebration not throwing up out the window in disgust. Don’t need Niner fans saying we won a Super Bowl because of THEIR ex-Qb-seriously f&$k that team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A “TRUE” Ram fan would NEVER want an ex-Forty Niner on this team to win a Super Bowl on the coattails of the core of this team. I don’t care if we were talking about Montana, Young or Crappernick-who by the way is the biggest scumbag ex-Forty Niner. Sorry, but when my Super Bowl winning QB is hoisting up the Lombardi I want to be hoisting up my drink in celebration not throwing up out the window in disgust. Don’t need Niner fans saying we won a Super Bowl because of THEIR ex-Qb-seriously f&$k that team.

8DB7991E-0B59-4E40-8692-B5DB8957D87B.jpeg

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think the national media and colin are the only people that thing he deserves another shot. I respect his willingness to stand for a cause BUT he was horrible at football the last time he played.

Hes 2 years older now and has not played football since. Let's take politics out of it and just realize the guy has not played well enough.

Yes I know the argument , hes better than the Bill's or browns QB, ok but hes alot older and these teams want to build with young QB not go backwards. .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So what kind of contract is fair for a back up QB that lost his starting gig to Blane Gabbert and then decided to opt out of his contract before apparently changing his mind and then refusing an offer for better than back-up level pay? What exactly does anyone think he's looking for? Starter money? A guaranteed shot at starting for a team? Only signing as a back-up for a playoff caliber team? Is he ok with signing as a 2nd stringer? has anyone seen real numbers of what he has been offered or what range he would consider?

He could probably get somewhere between 3-5MIL a year on a 2 year team option deal to "prove it".

He's never asked for a starter type contract or a guaranteed starting job. His agent was pretty clear and said he is willing to earn a roster spot.

Why let the Pats or Raiders have him? We need a backup QB.

It's a TERRIBLE fit though. Just an awful idea jrry.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I hope someone signs him, the dude can play. I'd gladly take him over #14

There was a time I would have agreed. But time is passing now. I'm not sure he's good enough to be anyone's backup unless he can start the season from the first OTA's. And I doubt anyone would consider him worth the circus that would certainly follow him. If he were starter material he'd be playing though.

I have a feeling he's just fine with the crusade he's on. He'll make a good living with it. He wants to keep it in the news and this lawsuit is a part of that. I wouldn't doubt if he already knows his career is done and he's ok with it.