Justin Blackmon suspended four games for substances of abuse

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/30/report-justin-blackmon-suspended-four-games/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... our-games/</a>

Posted by Josh Alper on April 30, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT

AP
Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon finished strong in 2012, catching 25 passes and scoring two touchdowns in the final four games of the season.

It looks like we’re going to have to wait a while to find out if he picks up where he left off. Adam Schefter of ESPN was the first to report that Blackmon has been suspended for four games by the league for violating league policy and the NFL later announced that it was specifically a violation of the Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

Blackmon led the Jaguars with 64 catches last season and that closing flourish raised hopes that the fifth overall pick of the 2012 Draft was going to continue developing into a top-flight receiver. Blackmon will still be able to practice with the Jags and play in preseason games, so this won’t totally halt that progress but there’s no denying that it’s a wrench in the plans for a player with two drunk driving arrests before he signed his rookie deal with the Jags.

The Jaguars play the Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks and Colts in the first four games of the 2013 season.

Psycho_X

Legend
Re: Justin Blackmon suspended four games for substances of a

Another positive from last years draft passing on this guy for more picks. Snisher wins again.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

Psycho_X said:
Another positive from last years draft passing on this guy for more picks. Snisher wins again.

We actually didn't pass on him, Jackosonville traded ahead of us to get him. Looks like thats working out for us now though.

A55VA6

Legend

I wanted Blackmon so bad last year. Now I'm happy we didn't draft him.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil

I wanted him too, and now I'm sure glad we didn't. He's just a turd in the punch bowl.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I wanted him, but not at #2 as others did (if we didn't trade I wanted Kalil).... In the end I'm glad we got jumped by the Jags for him though, we got Brockers, plus Givens and Quick (I think Quick will catch on) plus we probably wouldn't have grabbed Austin or Bailey this year either... In the end I think what we got instead of Blackmon is better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

A55VA6 said:

Yep... me too.

I wonder what substance it was?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

CGI_Ram said:
A55VA6 said:

Yep... me too.

I wonder what substance it was?

It has to be that new obsession w/ Jaguar or Panthers urine. :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Well I feel like a genious cuz I didn't want him HOWEVER, this suspension MIGHT be appealed and as we know from the Seattle DBs not all suspensions stick nor are they for anything more nefarious than adderol, so I'm slowing my roll on dogging the guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Blackmon is a good person. He just makes bad decisions. But you gotta live with the choices you make.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

jrry32 said:
Blackmon is a good person. He just makes bad decisions. But you gotta live with the choices you make.

Yeah, unlike some turds... he'll be okay, probably.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I'd like for him to get back for the Seattle game. :hehe:

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

I thought he had drinking issues at Okie State?

…..

Legend

HE WITH HORNS said:
Psycho_X said:

We actually didn't pass on him, Jackosonville traded ahead of us to get him. Looks like thats working out for us now though.

Had it been confirmed we were going that direction had Jacksonville not traded up? Seems like the Rams were set on Brian Quick through out the process. Either that, or they're hella salesmen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Dog said:
HE WITH HORNS said:
Psycho_X said:

Had it been confirmed we were going that direction had Jacksonville not traded up? Seems like the Rams were set on Brian Quick through out the process. Either that, or they're hella salesmen.
All we have to go on that is the "drama" that Mike Silver reported (Fisher slamming his glasses on the table). That could mean a few things though. My personal theory is that they had a really nice trade offer in the works if Blackmon fell to them, and they just lost it when Jacksonville jumped up ahead of them.

I asked Kevin Demoff about it, and his answer kinda reinforces my theory.

[textarea]The Dude: I heard a lot of media pundits saying Justin Blackmon was a lock for this team in the 2012 draft, but I also read some more obscure reports that Michael Brockers was the Rams' target in the first round no matter what. What would have happened if Blackmon dropped to the #6 spot this Spring? Would that spot have been traded, presumably for more than the return on Claiborne? Was Brian Quick ranked higher on your boards than Blackmon anyway?

Kevin Demoff: One of the more fascinating hypotheticals we have talked about in the office has been the trade at 6 if Blackmon had still been on the board, but we were always looking to trade back out of the Top 10 so I think we all agree it would have played out the same. I give Les and Jeff tremendous credit for having a draft strategy beginning in February and sticking to it throughout the offseason. The goal was to acquire multiple first and second round picks and begin to build this team's talent level. We weren't (and still aren't) one player away.

As for Brian Quick, when Les and I first had dinner in January during the GM search process, he was a big believer in Brian Quick and that never wavered. His outstanding private workout in front of our coaches and scouts confirmed what Les had always said about him and he has shown that talent since arriving in St. Louis. We are excited about his potential, but there were a lot of good receivers in this draft and they all brought unique skill sets to the table that were all different. That's why comparisons amongst them are very hard. AJ Jenkins is a very different player than Michael Floyd who was different than Kendall Wright, etc etc...[/textarea]

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

The Dude said:
Dog said:
HE WITH HORNS said:
Psycho_X said:

All we have to go on that is the "drama" that Mike Silver reported (Fisher slamming his glasses on the table). That could mean a few things though. My personal theory is that they had a really nice trade offer in the works if Blackmon fell to them, and they just lost it when Jacksonville jumped up ahead of them.

I asked Kevin Demoff about it, and his answer kinda reinforces my theory.

[textarea]The Dude: I heard a lot of media pundits saying Justin Blackmon was a lock for this team in the 2012 draft, but I also read some more obscure reports that Michael Brockers was the Rams' target in the first round no matter what. What would have happened if Blackmon dropped to the #6 spot this Spring? Would that spot have been traded, presumably for more than the return on Claiborne? Was Brian Quick ranked higher on your boards than Blackmon anyway?

Kevin Demoff: One of the more fascinating hypotheticals we have talked about in the office has been the trade at 6 if Blackmon had still been on the board, but we were always looking to trade back out of the Top 10 so I think we all agree it would have played out the same. I give Les and Jeff tremendous credit for having a draft strategy beginning in February and sticking to it throughout the offseason. The goal was to acquire multiple first and second round picks and begin to build this team's talent level. We weren't (and still aren't) one player away.

As for Brian Quick, when Les and I first had dinner in January during the GM search process, he was a big believer in Brian Quick and that never wavered. His outstanding private workout in front of our coaches and scouts confirmed what Les had always said about him and he has shown that talent since arriving in St. Louis. We are excited about his potential, but there were a lot of good receivers in this draft and they all brought unique skill sets to the table that were all different. That's why comparisons amongst them are very hard. AJ Jenkins is a very different player than Michael Floyd who was different than Kendall Wright, etc etc...[/textarea]

It's not even like you have to read between the lines that hard.....it seems like they had a sweet deal lined up for a trade. I love how Demoff answers questions so thoroughly and he uses the language very precisely too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

bluecoconuts said:
I wanted him, but not at #2 as others did (if we didn't trade I wanted Kalil).... In the end I'm glad we got jumped by the Jags for him though, we got Brockers, plus Givens and Quick (I think Quick will catch on) plus we probably wouldn't have grabbed Austin or Bailey this year either... In the end I think what we got instead of Blackmon is better.

No doubt what we got is WAY better than Blackmon. Brockers has future Pro Bowler written all over him and he was a huge contributor to a really really good DL as a rookie. Quick should be better this year and if he is only 75% of the player Blackmon is we are ahead and that's without factoring in Givens.

We posterized that first three rounds last year.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

If you're going to play for Jacksonville you need to be on a substance.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

Yamahopper said:
:mrgreen: :lmao: :rofl:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Yamahopper said:
Yeah they made a terrific choice for their first head coach,Tom Coughlin, he had an expansion team in the playoff fast and even beat the Broncos in the playoffs the year before they won the first of their back to back SB wins.

Don't know why he left exactly , but I think he's proven in NY they should have kept him.