Just read an interesting article

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Seth Griffith
I’m curious what your thoughts would be if we went after Von Miller? How much would you be willing to give or would you be willing to assume his current deal with a minor kick back if the Broncos go into reboot mode.

I love the idea because it would clear up our draft strategy IMO. This would also make releasing Barron feel so much better. I know they don’t play the same position, but I feel Barron’s production is very replaceable.

Cheers!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I wouldn't give up much for him tbh. Yeah he's still one of the better pass rushers in the league but he's 29 going on 30 and his production will start to diminish. What we really need to do is hit it on the draft, either at ROLB or ILB. I agree releasing Barron will free up some cap room but paying Miller 17 mil a year will be steep with Paying AD, Cooks, Gurley, Peters, and Talib. We also have to think about paying Goff next season as well. And like it or not we can't trade away all of our draft pics for players.
Take Peters for example. We gave up a second for him. He wasn't worth a 5th round draft pick this year let alone a 2nd. Whats to say Miller wont have a down year? Do you really want to give up more draft picks when we're already giving so many away?
Eventually somethings got to give when it comes to the way we trade away draft picks for these players. One day it will bite us in the ass. The Rams have to be careful that we don't turn into the Miami Dolphins or Eagles of old when it comes to FA.

fearsomefour

Legend
It would take multiple picks.
A first certainly, I would give up a first but not two firsts.
The Rams are going to have the 31st pick in the first round so they're have to throw in more.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Talent wise hes still elite , but he makes so much money. Not sure how the team could operate with him and Donald making so much .

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
If they made a run at Mack, they could make enough moves for Miller. Joyner, Barron, and Suh account for Miller’s salary but collectively wouldn’t equal his impact. Fowler would no longer be necessary and Fox/Longacre provide depth. There’s enough LB and secondary depth existing along w affordable FA vets to fill out the rest of the roster.

Imagine, Miller, Donald, Brockers, Littleton, Ekuban, Talib, Peters, NRC, Johnson, Kiser, and another third round safety like Johnson was a couple years ago. I’d roll w that.

dang

Legend
I asked in another thread - How much of Miller's 2019 $25m cap hit would the Rams be on the hook for if they traded for him?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they made a run at Mack, they could make enough moves for Miller.

At the time, the reports were that they would trade for Mack - and then trade him after the season, since they had so many big contracts hitting the cap for 2020. Gurley gets a raise this year, Donald, Cook, etc. The Rams need to have more than a few stars and a bunch of league minimum players - we saw what happened with very little resources placed into the LB squad last year. Add in that trading for Miller would likely take the first and multiple lower picks, so the Rams would have nothing to replace the other positions being cut to make room for Miller's salary.

The NFL's salary cap is there for a reason - to prevent teams from stocking up on a bunch of max players and trading all their picks to do so.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a fantasy that Miller would be available - without a huge amount of draft picks going the other way. The Broncos cap hit for trading him would be over $19 million. They aren't giving him away.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Hes only two years older than Donald...
Two years and two months. Miller will turn 30 in March while Donald will still be 27. Donald is in his prime and Miller is at the end of his career. IMO he is too old and too expensive for a guy with just a couple of years left.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I wouldn't give up much for him tbh. Yeah he's still one of the better pass rushers in the league but he's 29 going on 30 and his production will start to diminish. What we really need to do is hit it on the draft, either at ROLB or ILB. I agree releasing Barron will free up some cap room but paying Miller 17 mil a year will be steep with Paying AD, Cooks, Gurley, Peters, and Talib. We also have to think about paying Goff next season as well. And like it or not we can't trade away all of our draft pics for players.
Take Peters for example. We gave up a second for him. He wasn't worth a 5th round draft pick this year let alone a 2nd. Whats to say Miller wont have a down year? Do you really want to give up more draft picks when we're already giving so many away?
Eventually somethings got to give when it comes to the way we trade away draft picks for these players. One day it will bite us in the ass. The Rams have to be careful that we don't turn into the Miami Dolphins or Eagles of old when it comes to FA.
I wrote a similar comment to this a week ago. We can’t keep taking on huge contracts, and trading draft picks. With the contracts handed out to establish the core, the roster needs to be filled in with cheap draft picks. While it would be nice to have Miller, the Rams don’t need him to be effective on defense. I would rather draft and edge guy, or sign someone like Preston Smith for half the money.

It’s time to start holding on to draft picks and supplement the roster that way. And as you said yourself, Goff’s contract will be up before we know it, and there’s another 25+ million a year right there. I would rather draft Devin Bush in the first, and sign Preston Smith. A LB corp of Preston Smith, Cory Littleton, Devin Bush, and Samson Ebukam is a very solid unit. It’s much improved from last year and that whole group of starting LBs makes less than Von Miller. No thanks.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Two years and two months. Miller will turn 30 in March while Donald will still be 27. Donald is in his prime and Miller is at the end of his career. IMO he is too old and too expensive for a guy with just a couple of years left.

You expensive I agree with-- his cap hit over the next 3 seasons is a combined $75 mil. But TIL 30 is old for a DE in the NFL.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Been pounding the table for him since the beginning of last season, this would put our front seven over the top. Especially if we hit on some defensive picks or Obo Okoronkwo ends up coming on next season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Rams keep moving premium picks for veterans their window will end up being shortened. This is a DL heavy draft, go get what you need that route. There are young safeties & decent interior linebackers we can bring in to fill holes while they load up in what this draft is strong in.

At OLB they can afford to add someone in FA if they want, but I think with Goff looming they're going to be careful.

fearsomefour

Legend
I wrote a similar comment to this a week ago. We can’t keep taking on huge contracts, and trading draft picks. With the contracts handed out to establish the core, the roster needs to be filled in with cheap draft picks. While it would be nice to have Miller, the Rams don’t need him to be effective on defense. I would rather draft and edge guy, or sign someone like Preston Smith for half the money.

It’s time to start holding on to draft picks and supplement the roster that way. And as you said yourself, Goff’s contract will be up before we know it, and there’s another 25+ million a year right there. I would rather draft Devin Bush in the first, and sign Preston Smith. A LB corp of Preston Smith, Cory Littleton, Devin Bush, and Samson Ebukam is a very solid unit. It’s much improved from last year and that whole group of starting LBs makes less than Von Miller. No thanks.
I think Smith will cost $12-15 M per year.
He is a young, productive pass rusher.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I think Smith will cost $12-15 M per year.
He is a young, productive pass rusher.
I was just using hyperbole more than anything. I do think that Von Miller is just not worth the price. Especially when the whole LB unit I’m proposing would literally cost a little bit more than one guy. I understand Miller is way more talented, and I would love to have him, just not at the expense of the picks it would take to acquire him in addition to his salary.

I think Preston Smith would be a great addition to this defense, and I could see him improving. Plus, playing with Donald, and having Wade’s tutelage, could only help.