Just re-watched the Seahawk game…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here’s a few things that I hadn’t noticed on the first viewing…

Obviously, a lot of things went well for Rams overall, but here are a few pros and cons.

Stafford had a better game than I had realized. He missed 2 passing TD’s, for example. One was a drop by a wide open Jefferson early on and later in the game another was a pass to Nacua that was too long by 6 inches. He also managed the game craftily taking full advantage of the young Atwell and Nacua.

I had focused heavily on Boom in my first watch, but this time I tried to watch Jackson, Avila, and Shelton. I thought Shelton was pretty good but I think our left side will really become dominant as Avila and Jackson gel. I’m kinda excited about that.

Hopefully, our OL can get their run blocking prowess up to the stellar level of their pass pro, and soon. The 49er game would be a great time to make a statement.

Akers ypc was not good but we’ve gotta remember that he was running into an 8 man box in that 4th quarter. That does make a big difference compared to a ‘normal’ D set.

Jefferson seems to have something missing. He certainly hasn’t stepped up in Kupp’s absence. Nothing like Nacua and Atwell have. I doubt if VJ gets extended. He just hasn’t earned it.

Young definitely has a future but he’s currently being schooled on contain and run D. He could be special one day but today is not that day.

Hoecht is a liability at edge. We simply must upgrade from him.

Jones is already a beast, imo.

Rozeboom is another liability. Need an upgrade there desperately or a new scheme.

Secondary played great, considering their youth and little experience together. Morris needs to bite the bullet and start Tomlinson. That kid is our future.

The Fuller/Yeast combo exceeded my expectations for a first game. I think they frustrated Smith, too.

Couldn’t be happier with our coaching staff. The results speak for themselves in this very first game. Makes me wonder how good these players might look by November.

That’s about it. Thoughts?

TexasRam

Legend
I also rewatched and came away with the following:

I posted my thoughts on the Oline elsewhere but will say here that I think we have a few guys that can't lock on that well in run blocking. Really only Havenstein and Avila have the ability there. I think we need great play design and RB work. I do think we have a really solid pass pro group. We will find out how they stack up next week vs the Niners. Avila was an excellent pick.

Stafford did have an excellent game. Sliding in the pocket and throwing dimes. Lots of zip.

I have never been a Jefferson fan. Thought he was overhyped in our draft. He lacks physicality, ball tracking and several other important traits. He can be a solid #4 but that's it. I think if we get Puka and Tuta snap counts prioritized, along with Kupp then we are going to have something dangerous.

I thought Rozeboom make some really solid tackles sacrificing his body. I don't know what people didn't like, but I did focus that much on him unless he was involved in the play.

Hoecht should be used in pass downs only as a rusher. No more contain responsibilities.

Jones was a monster. If he keeps that up he's headed to the Pro Bowl.

Fuller looked great coming up filling run lanes and making the tackle. Our safety's look much more physical.

I do want to see Tomlinson and what happened to Shelley? But can't complain if the others keep playing well. Not sure if Geno just had a bad game or the DB's were creating coverage sack/issues for Geno.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I concur with the Van stuff. He has worth as an NFL WR but he’s timid, very avg body control, tracking issues as was mentioned and IMO not a pro level competitor.

Does VJ lay his body out for that TD overthrow like Puka? Or just stick his hands out and quit on it because it wasn’t a perfect pass?
Idk

I might argue that Puka has shown more of those traits I mentioned above in one game than VJ has in three seasons.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I might argue that Puka has shown more of those traits I mentioned above in one game than VJ has in three seasons.
200w.gif

WestCoastRam

Legend
I concur with the Van stuff. He has worth as an NFL WR but he’s timid, very avg body control, tracking issues as was mentioned and IMO not a pro level competitor.

Does VJ lay his body out for that TD overthrow like Puka? Or just stick his hands out and quit on it because it wasn’t a perfect pass?
Idk

Pass was good. VJ had the wrong catch technique, hands to the side as if he was catching an over the shoulder catch as opposed to hands facing the ball... crazy since his dad literally teaches technique.

Puka's gotta play a bit more under control though or he's gonna get injured again. Love the try hard nature of it tho.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Pass was good.
The pass to VJ was good, yeah. My comment was if VJ had been overthrown like Nacua was on the sideline play, would Jefferson have laid himself out for the ball. I say no.

Good point referencing Nacua staying healthy and protecting himself. McVay reported he’s got a minor rib injury(already).

He needs be himself though, he’s a physical receiver so let’s hope he can adjust to the pro game physicality without losing his edge.

TexasRam

Legend
I'll probably regret saying this after next Sunday vs the Niners but I feel like the Oline pass pro could be back to '21 level.

That said, if Puka and Tutu play the whole season at the level we just saw, that puts our offense in a nasty spot once Kupp is back.

It's so early to say anything. But if Raheem has actually turned over a new leaf regarding playing more aggressively, then that gives us a great chance to compete. Re-watching the game I noticed Raheem brought the pressure all game with those extra linebackers. In the second half we saw some 6 man pressures. I have always maintained that even if you get burned by doing this, its going to start to hurry the QB and get his timing off. That in itself will impact the game even when you are not bring pressure. Pleasant maybe the culprit of some of the better coverage because we saw some aggressive CB play and even when Durant got called for grabbing the hip, that is a great sign. You do that technique right and 8 out of 10 times you are not getting called for it, but it will F up the WR and his ability to stay in his route.

Regarding Van, I have always felt he slowed this offense down with his limitations. I think him and Cam are quietly going to be replaced because at the end of the day we have better options that produce when given the chance.

Also, regarding Young. I think he will being an impact player with his speed and chase ability both in the pocket and beyond the LOS. But he really needs to develop his pass moves.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
If Van Jefferson catches that pass and scores we are talking about how he got open and destroyed their coverage. It was a bad drop which was down to poor technique and because he wanted to keep running rather than face up which was a huge mistake. He made a complete mess of the easiest part after running a sharp route that left their coverage in tatters

I am not ready to write him off especially after he was such a key part of our super bowl winning team. Let’s ring the bell for round two and see what he does in the weeks ahead. There is plenty of football to go and all the talk was he looked good in practices

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I agree on the stuff said about Van. He's had some big TD plays in his career (2021 vs Bears-Lions-Packers-Cards, 2022 vs Raiders) but just has not been consistent enough to firmly grab onto that WR #2. The drop like everyone said showed the wrong hands technique. Even thinking about what Puka said about turning around and the ball right there, but Van should be used to that by now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Van Jefferson catches that pass and scores we are talking about how he got open and destroyed their coverage. It was a bad drop which was down to poor technique and because he wanted to keep running rather than face up which was a huge mistake. He made a complete mess of the easiest part after running a sharp route that left their coverage in tatters

I am not ready to write him off especially after he was such a key part of our super bowl winning team. Let’s ring the bell for round two and see what he does in the weeks ahead. There is plenty of football to go and all the talk was he looked good in practices
All reasonable. He could make up for that drop and then some with a big game vs the Shitters. But if he was a stock I'd be selling right now.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Agree with all you said..

- Hoecht is a liability, I said in the game thread and said this off-season that he's the new Troy Reeder. He's a backup but they insist on him being a starter. He needs to be moved back to DL. Wouldn't surprise me to see a move for one.

- Agree on Van, I like the kid. But he's never had "it". Seems to be softer and have a case of the drops. You ABSOLUTELY cannot have that drop on a contract year.

I can 100% see the Rams letting Van walk for Tee Higgins, it even trying to I get Tee Higgins before the trade deadline.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Van had better pick it up if he wants to get paid. I agree that Hoecht is not a starting caliber and neither is Roseboom.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Van had better pick it up if he wants to get paid. I agree that Hoecht is not a starting caliber and neither is Roseboom.
Forgot about Roseboom.. I'd just try Hummel.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
To me Hoecht does not fit that defense. He's more of a 4-3 defensive end. Having him drop in coverage is asking for trouble.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It was a bad drop which was down to poor technique and because he wanted to keep running rather than face up which was a huge mistake.
100%.
I prefer an over the shoulder catch, but that ball would have been caught had he turned to face the play.

WestCoastRam

Legend
To me Hoecht does not fit that defense. He's more of a 4-3 defensive end. Having him drop in coverage is asking for trouble.
But that is part of the Fangio system... so I guess we live with it unless we scrap that part? I'm not well versed enough to know more.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Anyone catch the miscommunication between Stafford and Williams on the long throw down the sideline, Williams turned the route up midfield, Stafford thought he would be running down the sideline, if Williams is on the sideline, that's a touchdown. Sure looked like Stafford was upset that Williams wasn't where he thought he should be.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Agree we might want to work Tomlinson in this week to stick him on Aiyuk.
Also since Yeast is holding down S, I wonder if it would make sense to work JJ3 in instead of Rozeboom in some situations (a la Rapp?).

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Agree we might want to work Tomlinson in this week to stick him on Aiyuk.
Also since Yeast is holding down S, I wonder if it would make sense to work JJ3 in instead of Rozeboom in some situations (a la Rapp?).
Could be Lake in that role. I know he played there, among other spots, in TC. He got some playing time against SEA, I haven't rematched the game to see where he lined up.

muggmeister

Rookie
I can 100% see the Rams letting Van walk for Tee Higgins, it even trying to I get Tee Higgins before the trade deadline.
Don't see the Rams paying 2 WRs (Kupp, Higgins) a combined $50M a year when we have Nacua and Atwell developing, hopefully. Save our resources (free agency $$$) for a stud edge, a d-lineman and use the draft to build for the future. Depending how the rest of the season goes we may have fewer glaring needs than we originally thought.