Just my thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I honestly believe Austin and Patterson are slightly overhyped by the media looking for a shining star. I also believe they dont drop to us and if they dont I would be more then happy with Justin hunter or stedman Bailey or both

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Rabid Ram said:
I honestly believe Austin and Patterson are slightly overhyped by the media looking for a shining star. I also believe they dont drop to us and if they dont I would be more then happy with Justin hunter or stedman Bailey or both
Now you see, that "overhyped by the media" thing I agree with, except that I'm thinking in reverse; that NFL scouts and GMs are looking at these 2 with a lot less zeal. Which means that one or both of them will fall to us.

A55VA6

Legend
Austin, Patterson, or Hunter is a must for me.. we have to get 1 of them. I'm leaning towards Patterson at the moment.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Out of all the wrs I've seen on tape hunter looks the most like a nfl wr. He's just got that look that says he belongs in the nfl.

A55VA6

Legend
kurtfaulk said:

Out of all the wrs I've seen on tape hunter looks the most like a nfl wr. He's just got that look that says he belongs in the nfl.

Reminds me of a young Randy Moss, without the bullshit. haha

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A55VA6 said:
Austin, Patterson, or Hunter is a must for me.. we have to get 1 of them. I'm leaning towards Patterson at the moment.

kurtfaulk said:

A55VA6 said:
kurtfaulk said:

Reminds me of a young Randy Moss, without the BS. haha

All the reasons I am leaning twords hunter over Austin or patterson

A55VA6

Legend
More tape I watch the more I really like Hunter. Would be stoked to see him drafted by us.

…..

Legend
If you consider that there arent alot of Quarterbacks and Running backs to talk about, the hype on recievers should come as no surprise. I mean...Eddie Lacy isnt getting alot of folks excited. Jrry32 compared him to Rudi Johnson...I see some Ernest Graham. Not exactly gonna get alot of hype out that.

I dont typicly follow too closely on these recruits once you start getting back into the 2nd and 3rd tiers...its just wasted effort when you use Donnie Avery as the bar to judge wether it actually pays to research. Having said that, isnt Patterson the reciever that wasnt even the best reciever on his team, but rose to the limelight after said best reciever got injured?

All these combines and pro days and measurements mean nothing to me, except maybe 40 times to a degree. My judgment on these guys would be based soley on game tape. And according to game tape, it would apear Tavon Austin is worth a lil hype.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Overhyped by media? Nah. Overhyped here...?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say Austin is getting overrated by the media in terms of draft position. I love the kid but his size will weigh heavily on NFL GMs. Won't be shocked if he makes it to our first pick...maybe even to both picks. Would be a bit shocked if we passed on him twice though.

As for Hunter, he's not Randy Moss. Not even close. Randy Moss is an once in a lifetime talent.

Hunter is a very risky pick. Great athleticism, really tall kid and he is definitely explosive on the field. That said, it's very concerning just how many times the ball hit his hands and did not end up as a catch. I believe he was charged with 10 drops in 2012 in 12 games. That's terrible.

That all said, Julio Jones had the same issue as a sophomore as Hunter. With Hunter, it could be mental due to the injuries or simply concentration and entirely fixable. I said after Julio's sophomore year in my evaluation of him that he was a late 1st round pick at that stage. Could be Terrell Owens or could be Braylon Edwards...he's a freakish athlete who needs to answer the questions about his hands and further develop as a WR. Hunter is exactly the same in that regard.

Julio came out as a Junior at Alabama and showed off much more reliable hands and much more polished route running. Hunter will not have that chance because he declared. That makes it a very risky pick but the upside is there as well. I had him as my #1 ranked WR entering the year. So I won't be a bit upset if he ends up as a Ram. But again, that pick has some big risks just like the Patterson pick and the Austin pick.

If Hunter went back and showed reliable hands and polished route running, he'd be a top 10 pick. Same with Cordarrelle Patterson. Instead, you're going to have to take a risk on that guy developing further and leaving some of his past issues behind. Some times these risks pan out and some times they blow up in your face. That's why I prefer Tavon Austin.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
jrry32 said:
I'd say Austin is getting overrated by the media in terms of draft position. I love the kid but his size will weigh heavily on NFL GMs. Won't be shocked if he makes it to our first pick...maybe even to both picks. Would be a bit shocked if we passed on him twice though.

As for Hunter, he's not Randy Moss. Not even close. Randy Moss is an once in a lifetime talent.

Hunter is a very risky pick. Great athleticism, really tall kid and he is definitely explosive on the field. That said, it's very concerning just how many times the ball hit his hands and did not end up as a catch. I believe he was charged with 10 drops in 2012 in 12 games. That's terrible.

That all said, Julio Jones had the same issue as a sophomore as Hunter. With Hunter, it could be mental due to the injuries or simply concentration and entirely fixable. I said after Julio's sophomore year in my evaluation of him that he was a late 1st round pick at that stage. Could be Terrell Owens or could be Braylon Edwards...he's a freakish athlete who needs to answer the questions about his hands and further develop as a WR. Hunter is exactly the same in that regard.

Julio came out as a Junior at Alabama and showed off much more reliable hands and much more polished route running. Hunter will not have that chance because he declared. That makes it a very risky pick but the upside is there as well. I had him as my #1 ranked WR entering the year. So I won't be a bit upset if he ends up as a Ram. But again, that pick has some big risks just like the Patterson pick and the Austin pick.

If Hunter went back and showed reliable hands and polished route running, he'd be a top 10 pick. Same with Cordarrelle Patterson. Instead, you're going to have to take a risk on that guy developing further and leaving some of his past issues behind. Some times these risks pan out and some times they blow up in your face. That's why I prefer Tavon Austin.

Yeah, I hate picking "projects". When you do that, you spend two seasons of a kid's contract getting him ready. By the time he starts to produce for you, it's time for a new contract or free agency. That's when somebody who can afford to pick him up steals him and all you got out of the deal is time spent getting him ready for another team. Some teams can afford to bring along projects. I don't think the Rams can at the moment unless Quick comes out the box smoking. I think I prefer Austin too. His skill set seems to negate much need for development. I hate his size but I think his skills compensate nicely. (See Darren Sproles)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
jrry32 said:

Step back, and think how many drops rookie WRs have had throughout history. You mentioned Too Overrated, he's had so many drops in his career, but it didn't stop his overall production. It's over-analyzing/over-thinking it IMO.

Anyway, back on topic. I like Justin Hunter but I wonder if he'll fit (considering there's already 2 potential outside WRs here). Tavon Austin might be the better fit as the "X" factor, but again the size issue. I believe teams will go conservative b/c of that.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I would love this combo of 2 of the 3: Patton, Hunter, or Woods. (in that order)

I dont know if they would get two WRs in the draft, but who knows at this point.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
ljramsfan said:
I would love this combo of 2 of the 3: Patton, Hunter, or Woods. (in that order)

I dont know if they would get two WRs in the draft, but who knows at this point.

I think you've hit the nail on the head - these guys would be awesome additions to the Rams and I think we have a fantastic job of getting 1 of them, I doubt we'd get 2 though. Woods is my fave WR in the draft, as an all-round asset to an NFL team, I think he could step in and be a key part of the offence from day 1 and I think we could pick him up in R2. Same goes for Patton & Hunter, but I think Hunter is a R1 pick and Patton is a borderline 1/2.

i think we'll get 2 WR's again this year I'm thinking R2 & R6.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
shaunpinney said:
ljramsfan said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head - these guys would be awesome additions to the Rams and I think we have a fantastic job of getting 1 of them, I doubt we'd get 2 though. Woods is my fave WR in the draft, as an all-round asset to an NFL team, I think he could step in and be a key part of the offence from day 1 and I think we could pick him up in R2. Same goes for Patton & Hunter, but I think Hunter is a R1 pick and Patton is a borderline 1/2.

I'd rather not them draft a WR in the 2nd. Might as well have Brian Quick play as much as possible. The production of 2nd round WRs early is not as good as 1st round producers in their rookie years. The Rams need WR help now and for the future.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I keep repeating the phrase, Bradford needs to get the ball to his playmakers...

And they are???? He doesn't have a single big time playmaker. They better get him one.

So who are the true playmakers in this draft? Who are the guys that you get the ball to them in space and they are gone? You guys tell me. I don't think Patton, Hunter, and Woods are bigtime playmakers.

I'm tired of watching Rams receivers catch the ball and fall down. I'm tired of watching bland-ball. The Rams play of a fast track, they need a guy who can make plays on a fast track AFTER he gets his hands on the ball.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Angry Ram said:
shaunpinney said:
ljramsfan said:

I'd rather not them draft a WR in the 2nd. Might as well have Brian Quick play as much as possible. The production of 2nd round WRs early is not as good as 1st round producers in their rookie years. The Rams need WR help now and for the future.

I guess that is what the difference is between these three receivers and Brian Quick. I dont think any of these receivers are projects and will (not can or might) WILL start day 1.