Just HOW important is coaching?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X in his Dudeness:
You know I gotcho back, Albe.

I've also sent you a PM to make you feel even more at home.

Don't know what to say except thanks so very much. You're one of the few that know how much that means to me. I'm gonna try it when my son comes over tomorrow.

I'm so glad I took the plunge and came over here. Lots of guys I've read and enjoyed from other boards that I only lurked at. Plus all the great guys from The Rams Huddle.

And Smileys. :yahoo:

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Football is the one sport where the Head Coach can make more of a difference than any other sport not only in philosophy, but the coaching staff her puts together as well. The players need to buy into the concept and once they do a quality Head Football Coach can be a difference of six games IMO.

Now inept Head Coaches have won (See Barry Switzer) but it does not last long. The Rams have had their share of good & bad over the years, but the greatest turnarounds in Rams history was done by John Robinson who took over for Ray Malavasi in 1983. The 1982 Rams went 2-7 in a strike shortened season and under the robust Robinson they went 9-7 and made post season in 1983.

jap

Legend
den-the-coach said:
Football is the one sport where the Head Coach can make more of a difference than any other sport not only in philosophy, but the coaching staff her puts together as well. The players need to buy into the concept and once they do a quality Head Football Coach can be a difference of six games IMO.

Now inept Head Coaches have won (See Barry Switzer) but it does not last long. The Rams have had their share of good & bad over the years, but the greatest turnarounds in Rams history was done by John Robinson who took over for Ray Malavasi in 1983. The 1982 Rams went 2-7 in a strike shortened season and under the robust Robinson they went 9-7 and made post season in 1983.

It didn't hurt that John was able to employ rookie RB Eric "the Great" Dickerson. :cool:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Rockman asked:
Good point. I agree with you. But who is responsible for having a good GM in the organization?

I would think the owner since he hires him.

You need professionals at every level. It all starts with the owner hiring the right people and knowing when to get involved and when to stay hands off.

I think owners come in four categories.
In it for the money. (Bucs, Browns)
In it for the prestige. (Jags, Dolphins)
In it for the short term. (Cowgirls, Redskins)
In it for the long term. (Steelers, Patsies)

I want the Rams in the same group as the Steelers.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EastRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Rockman asked:
Good point. I agree with you. But who is responsible for having a good GM in the organization?

I would think the owner since he hires him.

You need professionals at every level. It all starts with the owner hiring the right people and knowing when to get involved and when to stay hands off.

I think owners come in four categories.
In it for the money. (Bucs, Browns)
In it for the prestige. (Jags, Dolphins)
In it for the short term. (Cowgirls, Redskins)
In it for the long term. (Steelers, Patsies)

I want the Rams in the same group as the Steelers.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Owner is extremely important. But can get lucky as well.. >>see DV and his great coaching staff.

It even applies to message boards. Helps attract posters like Albe.
nose-pickers.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
I will just make one point, but could make so many.

Our offensive line coach(Loney), before Boudreau, didn't develop or make one player better on our line. Even draft choices that played well as rookies, declined their second year's. Very good free agents, played way worse under Loney. One year with Boudreau, and we have seen major improvements all the way across the line.

But Loney wrote a hell of a good book! :grr:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Here's how I feel. If its a matter of being a good team then coaching is a very very close second to talent. If its a matter of being a championship level team then it's even closer.

But talent still is number one.

You can't get to the top consistently without a great GM. You might be able to find a team that got lucky but not very often.

Coaches are also limited as to what they can do based on the talent on the roster. So their is a certain symbiosis here. I like that better than synergy. Great players are also limited by their coaches if they are stuck with one who can't maximize their talent through teaching and scheme.

This is one of those things where the importance of each is very similar and you have to have each working well with the other two. But you have to have the talent on the field or the other two don't matter.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
But you have to have the talent on the field or the other two don't matter.

Just to bust yur balls here..Pun intended.

But would you agree that great coaching makes a difference in fielding a competitive team?

See 2012 Rams
ouch 2001 Patsies.

The example of the Patsies was Martz getting out coached ( as viewed in some circles).
Rams clearly had the most talent.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
EastRam said:

But would you agree that great coaching makes a difference in fielding a competitive team?

See 2012 Rams
ouch 2001 Patsies.

The example of the Patsies was Martz getting out coached ( as viewed in some circles).

Sooooo, videotaping walkthroughs and having your DBs mug recievers because you know the refs won't turn the Super Bowl into a yellow laundromat constitutes "good coaching?"

:ww:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
EastRam said:

Oh, this ought to start some debate!

Was he out-coached or did Bellicheat steal our gameplan ala video-gate?

What about the officials that took "letting the boys play" a little too far ignoring numerous holding and illegal contact plays?

But I will say this; Martz played right into all of it. He didn't adjust. It was stubborn Mike at his best.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
PrometheusFaulk said:
EastRam said:

See 2012 Rams
ouch 2001 Patsies.

Sooooo, videotaping walkthroughs and having your DBs mug recievers because you know the refs won't turn the Super Bowl into a yellow laundromat constitutes "good coaching?"

No it doesn't constitute "good coaching" but it does show that one coach was more in tune with what the D would be allowed to do in that game "right or wrong". So in a way it could be considered that Martz didn't see it the mugging coming and therefore was outcoached.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
EastRam said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
EastRam said:

See 2012 Rams
ouch 2001 Patsies.

No it doesn't constitute "good coaching" but it does show that one coach was more in tune with what the D would be allowed to do in that game "right or wrong". So in a way it could be considered that Martz didn't see it the mugging coming and therefore was outcoached.

I agree, classic Martz hubris - "who cares what they're doing, I'm just gonna throw some more!" I was just funning ya.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

Oh, this ought to start some debate!

Was he out-coached or did Bellicheat steal our gameplan ala video-gate?

What about the officials that took "letting the boys play" a little too far ignoring numerous holding and illegal contact plays?

But I will say this; Martz played right into all of it. He didn't adjust. It was stubborn Mike at his best.

Another example of great coaching was Fisher last year against Washington. He took the game plan from the Patsies and made Shamahan and RGME whine like little babies by having the D puond RGME everytime he ran or ran an option.

Although Fish didn't have them hitting late like RGME was whining about.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
EastRam said:

See 2012 Rams
ouch 2001 Patsies.

We can find examples of that for sure I was, and I think most are, talking overall and in general. The example from that Super Bowl was simply a case of a man versus a boy so to speak. Martz didn't just get out coached he got humiliated.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
EastRam said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
EastRam said:

See 2012 Rams
ouch 2001 Patsies.

Bellichik couldn't possibly know that the refs would allow illegal holding, could he? Or that not one Personal Foul call would be made the entire game?

Martz should be excused for being caught flat-footed by the officiating. Considering that most coaches must operate under the assumption that the calls will eventually even out over 4 quarters.