Just How Good Can The Rams Defense Get This Season???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
With the addition of Von Miller it is really very exciting to imagine just how good the Rams Defense can get before the end of the Season (Playoffs!!)!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams have certainly accumulated some elite players, and we'll rightly have big expectations from them, but what I've found interesting is how McVay uses much of his practice squad as temporary roster players. It tells me just how deep or confident we are when it comes to injuries or letting a DeSean Jackson go. It also explains why the Rams have increased their CAP when releasing someone like Young, as it costs the team money to bring players up from the practice only to send them back down and bring them up again when need again.
jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Imagine D-Will and Hollins potentially coming back (with Hollins starting at the ILB spot that Reeder currently occupies), Rochell and the Browns improving, the outside linebackers learning from Von.

That's how good.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Imagine D-Will and Hollins potentially coming back (with Hollins starting at the ILB spot that Reeder currently occupies), Rochell and the Browns improving, the outside linebackers learning from Von.

That's how good.
32nd Pick in the Draft, good...I mean, if we had one...lol

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
With the addition of Von Miller it is really very exciting to imagine just how good the Rams Defense can get before the end of the Season (Playoffs!!)!
Good enough to terrorize any qb in the league and hopefully shut down or contain any passing attack to the point they can't keep up with our offense. Think of Tom Brady as a deer in the headlights...

Adding Von Miller completes the Rams' AD-Jalen Ramsay model of using two likely HOFers at the key positions in the defense-- pass rush and cornerback-- to work together front and back to disrupt downfield passing. Now it's a triumvirate (can't call it a threesome!)

Unless the DC, the safeties and the other cbs screw up big time it's a Super Bowl winning D.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Balance across the front 7. So, increase in 3 and outs, increased sack counts across the front 7and likely a drop in overall points allowed. Those possible/inevitable results will make us all happy.

Plus, @Loyal can now focus on the playoffs and draft lol

jjab360

Legend
I think they'll continue to have bumps in the road throughout the season but could be potentially dominant come playoff time when it matters the most.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame

That's how good.
Stop it. I can’t fathom that good!

dang

Legend
Need to continue to improve the 2nd tier of the run defense and determine how to effectively utilize DWill when he returns. Take take of those 2 issues and Rams could have a top 3 defense. I’ve always said a weekly goal should be to score 31 points and keep your opponent under 21. A top 3 defense will accomplish the latter.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I'd like to see the Rams exploit the matchups available on passing downs with tighter coverage and more man principles on the outside once DWill returns. With Williams and Ramsey outside jumping the hot routes and a safety lurking inside to flood the in breaking routes, the only way they could get burned is if the QB gets more than 2.5 seconds to hit on a WR double move. Good luck accomplishing that if they deploy Miller, Floyd, Donald, and Lewis with Rapp as a threat to either cover or blitz.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd like to see the Rams exploit the matchups available on passing downs with tighter coverage and more man principles on the outside once DWill returns. With Williams and Ramsey outside jumping the hot routes and a safety lurking inside to flood the in breaking routes, the only way they could get burned is if the QB gets more than 2.5 seconds to hit on a WR double move. Good luck accomplishing that if they deploy Miller, Floyd, Donald, and Lewis with Rapp as a threat to either cover or blitz.
From what I've been reading and listening to about the NFL and it's changes.. having Dwill and Rochell on the outside on those downs and letting Ramsey be the "Star".. where he can line up all over the place.. makes things tougher for QBs. Just that half second they have to think, post-snap, to see where Ramsey actually goes.
If you have Ramsey isolated on the best receiver.... you certainly take that away.. but you eliminate one decision for the QB, so their process will be a little faster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well as a DC it's a lot easier to roll up your coverages and run more press when you know the rush will be getting heat. The two are interrelated. I figured the Rams would address safety and admit to themselves they need a guy who can break on the ball opposite Fuller but this move is better because it affects both sides of the field.

It's just kind of amazing. I'm still on cloud nine that they found a way to boost that blindside edge (which is no easy task even in a long offseason with cap and pick resources) at a point in time where they had zero cap space and a lack of premium picks. I'd like to thank other teams like Dallas for not wanting to go further than that in compensation and allowing this to happen.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did anybody see the tweet with video about Dean Pees (EDIT: Hahaha Dean Pees! I'd change my name) and the falcons defense? I don't claim to be a defensive Mastermind or anything (or even a defensive amateur-mind), but every time people say pressure makes the coverage easier I think of this:

View: https://twitter.com/LukeCarrNFL/status/1453839260243709955?s=20

I'd fire an assistant for dealing with the press in that type of condescending manner. With Pees I think part of the problem is the head coach has little control of his staff (no way you'd see a McVay asst coach do that) but still that type of approach is unacceptable to me for anyone who is in a position where they are going to need to interact with the press. Yeah, press are assholes and I get it but still your coaches don't need to lower themselves to that level.

What's that old saying about arguing with idiots? Yeah.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'd fire an assistant for dealing with the press in that type of condescending manner. With Pees I think part of the problem is the head coach has little control of his staff (no way you'd see a McVay asst coach do that) but still that type of approach is unacceptable to me for anyone who is in a position where they are going to need to interact with the press. Yeah, press are assholes and I get it but still your coaches don't need to lower themselves to that level.

I think it's about mud wrestling: "Never mud wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty, and the pig will enjoy it."

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

I only meant that I had an oversimplified view of operating a defense and that clip helped expand that. Yeah, he was a bit of a dick. I'm sure there's a ton of other things a think that veteran DCs and OCs would roll their eyes at, if not outright scoff. I know I feel that way, but don't say it, when certain people do that with my job.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I only meant that I had an oversimplified view of operating a defense and that clip helped expand that. Yeah, he was a bit of a dick. I'm sure there's a ton of other things a think that veteran DCs and OCs would roll their eyes at, if not outright scoff. I know I feel that way, but don't say it, when certain people do that with my job.
Nah I got your reference man. I just hadn't seen that vid and it was surprising how he browbeat that dude. :clinkingbeer: