Just go get Brandon Scherff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are many positions that could be perceived as needs - but setting aside injuries for a second, because you can't predict them, what is our most troubling position group?

Offensive line, hands down.

Why would they trade him?

How would we absorb $18 million and then be able to afford to pay him $20 million per year? We have $7-8 million right now and could probably clear the rest by extending Stafford.

We could trade a 2nd and some players - Taylor Rapp for example. Or a 2nd and Havenstein.

That's probably the compensation they're looking at - doubt any team would give up a first considering he's 29 and will get over $20 million per year.

But if we did - even if we gave up Havenstein, Rapp or even Higbee (which would make TE the biggest need), they could just ship the Lombardi to us. Corbett can play Center, and our OL would be dominant.

I know it's unlikely, but I'd at least explore it.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
There are many positions that could be perceived as needs - but setting aside injuries for a second, because you can't predict them, what is our most troubling position group?

Offensive line, hands down.

Why would they trade him?

How would we absorb $18 million and then be able to afford to pay him $20 million per year? We have $7-8 million right now and could probably clear the rest by extending Stafford.

We could trade a 2nd and some players - Taylor Rapp for example. Or a 2nd and Havenstein.

That's probably the compensation they're looking at - doubt any team would give up a first considering he's 29 and will get over $20 million per year.

But if we did - even if we gave up Havenstein, Rapp or even Higbee (which would make TE the biggest need), they could just ship the Lombardi to us. Corbett can play Center, and our OL would be dominant.

I know it's unlikely, but I'd at least explore it.

That is a lot of dollar for a RG considering we just traded for Stafford. There are some very good guard prospects in this draft and so I cannot see this happening.

I would much prefer we traded with Baltimore for Orlando Brown and move big Whit inside. Can you imagine the holes running left?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I had this as an option in my first mock draft.
Scherff for Kupp who could have been replaced in this deep WR draft pool.

Wouldn't do it now after Kupp's contract restructuring.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While I want the OLine upgraded more than anything and would celebrate the move as well, the team is already so top heavy with contracts that it would create residual problems elsewhere. Besides that, they need answers at more than one position on the line. While it is possible for 2021, future years would likely suffer the move.

dang

Legend
Any big payout contracts need to go to players who will peak during their contract vs players who peaked prior to the contract. So Orlando Brown yes. Brandon Scherff no.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have wanted Scherff on this OL since he was drafted. Will never happen though unfortunately. I mean they're not gonna take guys like Rapp for him and our 2029 first round pick won't woo them either lol.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have wanted Scherff on this OL since he was drafted. Will never happen though unfortunately. I mean they're not gonna take guys like Rapp for him and our 2029 first round pick won't woo them either lol.
Now if you had said Scott Wells instead, I'm all about it!" ~ @Merlin

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Like the player hate the $$$. Way too much to spend on a guard. Pass

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Don’t sleep on Trent Williams or Alex Mack.Talk about Shanahan getting his guys.Who knows what the cost for scherff would be,but that would be a scary front if added. The NFC West just keeps getting tougher. This years #2 pick in 2021needs to be a bust.Still curious of the pick ? Could who the trade was for Fake News??

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don’t sleep on Trent Williams or Alex Mack.Talk about Shanahan getting his guys.
Are you just looking for a reason to worship the 9ers here? How the fuck did you get to two 9er players from the previous conversation?

200.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Washington likely feels that they can get a comparable replacement in this draft with a second day pick. So they want to shed cap

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Are you just looking for a reason to worship the 9ers here? How the fuck did you get to two 9er players from the previous conversation?

200.gif

Your looking for All Pro’s ? The Rams had there chances.
— just adding on your Redskins Fantasy teams.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't think OL is the most troubling position group. I didn't see the sieve everyone thinks the line is. And on top of that, I don't think teams, let alone Rams, value OL that much to invest so much in them except for LT. And even at LT, it's more meh than great. Think about it...how many stud LTs are out there these days? 3, maybe 4 tops?

Most troubling group? Believe it or not it's corner. Not only do they have just 4 on the roster right now, its really thin. If Jalen or Darious Williams go down the depth is shot. If a guard went down, next man up without that much of a drop-off. I'm not worried about the line. I doubt they make that many moves on it anyway.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think OL is the most troubling position group. I didn't see the sieve everyone thinks the line is. And on top of that, I don't think teams, let alone Rams, value OL that much to invest so much in them except for LT. And even at LT, it's more meh than great. Think about it...how many stud LTs are out there these days? 3, maybe 4 tops?

Most troubling group? Believe it or not it's corner. Not only do they have just 4 on the roster right now, its really thin. If Jalen or Darious Williams go down the depth is shot. If a guard went down, next man up without that much of a drop-off. I'm not worried about the line. I doubt they make that many moves on it anyway.
I agree corner is a need. But do you realize that if you remove any team's top two corners for injury they're up shit creek. Our quality of the roster at the position is far better than most teams. We've got a real nice secondary roster.

If they go corner at 57 it will probably be Williams' replacement who will be used in the slot year one then move over. It's possible they just draft a slot, in particular if they plan to keep Williams. But if they want to do that they don't have to take that slot there at 57 unless they really fall in love with a guy like Molden. Either way I wouldn't rule anything out with that position but it is true you can get slot types after round 2 and in particular in this draft that is true. This is a very deep corner draft.

Also re: OL the change of leadership might mean a change in approach. And our LT need is glaring. Will they wait until next year? No idea. But man it would be nice if we were to get lucky and have a guy like Radunz fall to us.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree corner is a need. But do you realize that if you remove any team's top two corners for injury they're up shit creek. Our quality of the roster at the position is far better than most teams. We've got a real nice secondary roster.

If they go corner at 57 it will probably be Williams' replacement who will be used in the slot year one then move over. It's possible they just draft a slot, in particular if they plan to keep Williams. But if they want to do that they don't have to take that slot there at 57 unless they really fall in love with a guy like Molden. Either way I wouldn't rule anything out with that position but it is true you can get slot types after round 2 and in particular in this draft that is true. This is a very deep corner draft.

Also re: OL the change of leadership might mean a change in approach. And our LT need is glaring. Will they wait until next year? No idea. But man it would be nice if we were to get lucky and have a guy like Radunz fall to us.
No worries. I can crosstrain from Center to LT because that's what McVay likes us to do...Prolly need a few protein shakes...
zMGPV1R.jpg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

True but most teams carry 5 or 6. They only have 4 under contract right now and one of them has never played. Didn't we talk about this before lol? If Darius went down for even a couple games, David Long would be the next man up. Who would play nickel, which is really important these days? Who would be the 4th corner? Sounds like a matchup other teams can exploit.

Safety yeah they are loaded. Just feel you could get better at corner, more impactful play there than OL. Especially in the mid 2nd.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True but most teams carry 5 or 6. They only have 4 under contract right now and one of them has never played. Didn't we talk about this before lol? If Darius went down for even a couple games, David Long would be the next man up. Who would play nickel, which is really important these days? Who would be the 4th corner? Sounds like a matchup other teams can exploit.

Safety yeah they are loaded. Just feel you could get better at corner, more impactful play there than OL. Especially in the mid 2nd.
Not being argumentative here btw. I think CB is a very interesting need. It's a complicated need as well because it's basically two different needs, those being a slot corner in this draft and then Williams' replacement.

That's why I keep feeling the need to separate the two and look at them individually.

Corner is crazy deep in this draft. Some other positions not so much. But I'm actually in agreement with you in a lot of ways re: taking the position at 57, I just want a guy who can play inside-out if we do that. If they get Molden at 57 then it means that even though he's a slot they think he's an impact guy, and it also might mean less "star" usage for Ramsey.