Just a few thoughts now that I've sobered up...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Another stream of consciousness thing...

First, the negatives.

I'll start with Goff. What happened to that "most Pro ready" QB? The one that bravely insisted on doing his Ram private workout in a downpour? That amazed coaches and scouts on the chalkboard? That processed with speed in college? That had such accuracy and touch? Damn! Get this imposter outta here, and go get that other kid back.

Seriously? Goff seems to be regressing. He's overwhelmed too often. He definitely isn't reminding anybody of Joe Montana lately. Something is very wrong here. Goff has demonstrated in college the ability to excel at the highest levels. But now he can only occasionally flash, while mostly flailing. I'm concerned about his self confidence at this point.

Given Fisher's track record of developing QB's, I'm worried. Whatever the amalgamation of Fisher, Boras, Groh, and Weinke have concluded, it ain't working. Not NEARLY as well as was expected by virtually everyone. At least not yet. My worst fears are being realized regarding Goff's development. And all this on the heels of the Foles implosion. Shudder...

Lest we blame all of Goff's struggles on the coaching staff, let's remember that both Keenum and Mannion have greatly exceeded expectations this year. Unless we give all the credit to them for self development, don't we have to give the coaches some credit here?

I didn't focus on OL play, but I did notice that backup OT's Williams and Battle had terrible snaps when I did have my eye on them. Is it that Battle is not yet fully healthy? Both seem likely goners after last night. Pace Murphy threw a nice block that I noticed.

Duke Williams had a nightmare game.

Quick is so done as far as I'm concerned. No sympathy in my heart left for him anymore.

Even Higbee disappointed. Maybe this "drops thing" is contagious?

Still underwhelmed by our backup LB's after 4 games. Is Snead looking for a LB on the waiver wire? Might be, at that.

Now for a few bright spots.

Mannion is looking more and more like our #2 for next year. Heck, until Goff gets his feet on the ground, it seems that he's our #2 THIS year.

I don't remember ever seeing a RB corp so deep. Ever. How can they cut Green? And McGee is gonna be on somebody's roster this year. C Reynolds has gotta be released in favor of Green, don't you think?

Mike Thomas made some plays last night both as a receiver and on ST as a returner and gunner. Maybe he sticks, after all?

Good to see Hav get some snaps, but is he gonna be ready for opening day? I'm very comfortable with GRob and Saffold at OT's until Hav is 100%.

Just an aside, but how the heck can a coaching staff that has RB's and DL players coming out their ears have so much trouble stocking this team with WR's? Just amazing. Feast or famine, position wise.

Fox really showed up last night, huh? Hope he can make it to the PS.

Fassel has some work to do, that's for sure. Hope he gets on top of it now that he can finalize his various ST groups and no longer needs to look at everybody. Last night was a ST comedy of errors, wasn't it? Three Viking scores resulted from ST fubars.

Final word about the preseason. When the projected starters were in, the Rams looked more than okay. Including against the SB champ Broncos. The coaches gave lots of snaps to all the backups in order to try to find a gem or two. And they certainly had success with that philosophy.

I suspect that there will be some Boras/Groh passing wrinkles that will pleasantly surprise us come opening day.

And I have a feeling that our D is gonna be better than last year. And that our front 7 will be absolutely beastly.

Where did I go wrong? Or what did I miss?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think the coaches are intentionally telling the WRs to drop the ball to make Goff seem bad. So when the season starts, BAM! a pro ready Goff emerges out of seemingly thin air. It's all part of the plan man!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
maybe they should start drafting a bunch of DL and HBs and just show them off to other teams and trade them for sure things at WR.

Athos

Legend
Seriously? Goff seems to be regressing. He's overwhelmed too often. He definitely isn't reminding anybody of Joe Montana lately. Something is very wrong here. Goff has demonstrated in college the ability to excel at the highest levels. But now he can only occasionally flash, while mostly flailing. I'm concerned about his self confidence at this point.

Goff looked adequate the first two games, one with the CowGirls throwing exotic shit at him in a desperate plea to fans that they aren't returning a shit-tastic D again. And then against the Chiefs with one of the best Ds in the league with quality depth.

Then it was downhill. He got worse not better. That tells me there's a coaching issue. And a personnel issue. Coaching in having crap-for-brains helping him along and personnel in that he was thrust with the garbage depth players on the team making him more jumpy than he ought to out of the gate. Just piss poor management. He hasn't looked great, but even some of the really nice things shown in games 1 and 2 disappeared in 3 and 4.

And I'll say this. Hard to trust your team when your backup O-line is filth and your WRs couldn't catch the ball with duct-tape for hands.

Lest we blame all of Goff's struggles on the coaching staff, let's remember that both Keenum and Mannion have greatly exceeded expectations this year. Unless we give all the credit to them for self development, don't we have to give the coaches some credit here?

Keenum looks the same. Mannion looked ok in the pocket, but he threw some absolutely hideous balls during PS.

I rarely if ever saw Higbee sent down the seam. Mostly stick-route garbage.

Our RB corps is the best in the league. That's about the only positive I have on this offense besides an average looking O-line.

If Thomas could catch for shit, he'd probably be the second starting outside WR. Dude gets open...but then can't hold on.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Another stream of consciousness thing...
Final word about the preseason. When the projected starters were in, the Rams looked more than okay. Including against the SB champ Broncos.

I suspect that there will be some Boras/Groh passing wrinkles that will pleasantly surprise us come opening day.

I think you answered your own question. Not that I believe that Goff would have suddenly outplayed Keenum had he participated with the starters, there is still the rookie learning curve, still the rookie mistakes and jitters, but Goff spent very little time with the 1's. Goff would have looked demonstrably better had he the same benefits as Keenum, problem is you can really only prepare one QB as the starter, and Goff wasn't ready to take over the team. Fisher wasn't about to risk all his starters to injury by keeping them on the field for an excessive period of time. As it went, while many posters preferred that Goff get the starting go-ahead featuring his baptism by fire, he actually got just that in the pre-season by playing with the 2's and 3's. It might not have been pretty, but I believe the overall experience may be to his eventual benefit. Surrounded by the starting OL and Gurley, things would have looked different, even with our mostly useless receiving corps. The offense we ran was the typically vanilla scheme we have come to expect during the pre-season, so no telling what 'wrinkles' are sprung on the league sooner than later. jmo.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Keenum has made maybe 5 good throws all pre season. Most of his receivers have been wide open. I still think we are going to have a hard time with Sanfran. Even with Gurley. At this point, I don't think Aaron Rodgers would succeed in this offense. It's just too basic and boring. Everything has to be perfect for it to work and that's never going to happen. Fisher is not a good coach and I don't mind Goff sitting this year hoping we get a new HC next year and can actually develop Goff.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
#1. Have we got so far deep into this ready made world that we are surprised when something isn't a finished product when we open it? While some of the last few years guys have been thrust into the spotlight as soon as they hit camp, it's been a much more tried and true method to give rookie "greats" some time to "learn" the game. Farve sit, Young sit, Aaron Rodgers sit. So why is it so bad that Goff sits. He's not ready. And he wasn't drafted for this year. He was drafted for many a year. If Case lays an egg and Manion screws up, then throw him to the fire. this year we've already said it time and again....we will win w/ defense and controlling the clock w/ our running game. So a "star" QB, isn't going to make or break us. Yes, it would be nice, if he's hit the ground a running. but it's apparent, he's not ready.
#2. Defense and ground control offense is what Fisher does. And you're stunned he isn't good at finding WRs? Hell, we might be the only team where the WR blocking means as much as route running. But yes, it needs to get better. And hopefully it's one area we try and highlight next year in Free Agency as we do not have any coming up that will make that much of a difference. It's just a fact of life. Such is good defenses will lose players to Free Agency because of how they played as a unit. Sorry, it sucks but that is the way it is.
#3. Because our best players play on the defensive line, it stands to reason, some of their techniquies, have been adapted by guys who might be average but elevated by playing w/ much better. So it stands to reason a grouping of players can stand out much more as a group than others.

Now, that we can get all of the wailing and knashing of teeth out of the way. I look forward to a season where no one will see us coming as everyone has focused on our "QB" situation and not on our QB. We will win with defense. It will be the bend not break method. It will require excellent execution by other team's offenses. and it will require them to limit negative plays......which is our defenses' forte......... we will win controlling the game clock and keeping our defense fresh and their offense off the field. Our offensive line seems to be much improved. No, not those 3rd string guys who won't be there next week.....our best guys who did pretty well in those limited times they got. And last but not least, we will win w/ our QB doing the most uninspiring job of not making mistakes. Boys....it will be ugly....but it will get done.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I think the coaches are intentionally telling the WRs to drop the ball to make Goff seem bad. So when the season starts, BAM! a pro ready Goff emerges out of seemingly thin air. It's all part of the plan man!

What a conspiracy. Are you sure its not the mafia pulling the strings?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
, let's remember that both Keenum and Mannion have greatly exceeded expectations this year.

How so?

Keenum is what he has been a game manager sort. He won't lose you games by turning over the ball and is quick and smart enough to avoid getting sacked, but he doesn't make many "wow" plays and doesn't seem like the sort that will or can win you games. He hasn't shown anything the preseason that wasn't expected. He would be the back-up QB on most (not all) other teams - and a good one - but completely underwhelming as a starter. I think he is meeting expectations - but not exceeding them.

Mannion is probably where he should be as a 3rd round pick. Solidly competing for a spot as a back-up/project QB in his second year. He has done fine, but has generally been facing the other teams bottom end players. He shows flashes of the talent that made him a 3rd rounder and to his credit hasn't stopped fighting to show he belongs in the NFL. That said him being 2nd behind Goff is all about where Goff is at this point. Once again I think he is meeting expectations - and full credit for him not mailing it in - but not sure anyone would say he is greatly exceeding expectations.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Goff will be fine no need to worry. If had gotten to work with the 1s he would have looked better. He just needs time to get the offense book down. He will adjust and I have no doubt when he does he will be great. Everything everyone was talking about his feet and his arm showed up in the preseason. The ONLY thing people were wrong on was that he was pro ready and he wasn't.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I guess I'm a Goff apologist this year (at least until the rest of you are claiming you always believed), but I'm not seeing anything that tells me he should be behind Mannion.

The only reason why he's behind Keenum and Mannion is because he doesn't know the plays like they do, because he's still learning about it all.. His ball placement is better, his throws are better, his reads look better (than Mannion at least)... If need be the Rams could start Goff and just dumb down the playbook for him until he's up to speed, but they don't need to do that when they have Keenum. If Keenum were to go down, Mannion may come off the bench, but Goff is there the next week... I also think Goff starts before the bye week, because you can see the jump in processing each game.

I'm disappointed that it's taking him a little longer than expected, but the talent is obvious, the ball placement and throws are better. With gameplanning and the 1st team around him I think he's our best QB, even week 1... But that's on the coaches.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I'm a Goff apologist this year (at least until the rest of you are claiming you always believed), but I'm not seeing anything that tells me he should be behind Mannion.

The only reason why he's behind Keenum and Mannion is because he doesn't know the plays like they do, because he's still learning about it all.. His ball placement is better, his throws are better, his reads look better (than Mannion at least)... If need be the Rams could start Goff and just dumb down the playbook for him until he's up to speed, but they don't need to do that when they have Keenum. If Keenum were to go down, Mannion may come off the bench, but Goff is there the next week... I also think Goff starts before the bye week, because you can see the jump in processing each game.

I'm disappointed that it's taking him a little longer than expected, but the talent is obvious, the ball placement and throws are better. With gameplanning and the 1st team around him I think he's our best QB, even week 1... But that's on the coaches.
I'm right there with you, nicely worded and you expressed my opinion fully. Thank you.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Negativity doesn't suit you @Rams43. You're at your best with a shot of Kool-Aid in both hands, not giving in to the dark side. Fight it!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think you need to worry more about "sobering up" after the the freakin 4th preseason game...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't remember ever seeing a RB corp so deep. Ever. How can they cut Green? And McGee is gonna be on somebody's roster this year. C Reynolds has gotta be released in favor of Green, don't you think?
NO WAY!! Did you watch his play in the pre season he's too Valuable on ST!

Fox really showed up last night, huh? Hope he can make it to the PS.
I hope we can find a way to keep Fox on the 53, I fear he won't make it to the PS because he'll be picked-up before he can get their!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Okay, it's vanilla....so this isn't the "real" offense...
Goff had a great first drive...I was drinking and talking shit so much after, I have to watch the rest of the game again to really remember stuff.

Quick had a drop...so did everyone else...Mike Thomas...Told you, that guy makes WOOO plays....Britt is still our best wr...hope Tavon is really looking good too...But Britt, Cooper, Tavon, thomas...I'd roll with them, cut everybody else...See if Hunter from Tenn. has found his heart...Yeah, I'd cut Quick...just too sometimey...I'd be wanting to cut Thomas too...but he's a rookie...
Mo Alexander's about to get moved to DE...he was beasting...Starting D is ready...cody davis is a ball magnet...but it's North touching North on tackling...Christian Bryant isn't a FS? I'd move TJ to FS...Mo to SS...
Ayers was trying to get cut too...barely got off my shit list...fox...who is that guy? like him...westbrooks thought about his tat...played..but Greg Williams was helping the D-Line out...exotic blitzes and all..
hemingway....hmmmm...not sure about him?
Chubb, Littleton, Lynch...almost the same guy...Forrest a step below...Grigsby is a keeper...I'm cutting Hagar asap...
Mike Jordan just missed the bus...Joyner...man...what's up with 2nd round picks? Sensabaugh is a keeper...barely...thomas...just too damn big...Not sure about Roberson....please don't keep him over Troy Hill...
Defense is ready as usual...Special teams isn't...that's odd...Offense...is....vanilla...Okay Goff, prove to me you are not just a surfer boy, Jeff Spacoli, and really wanna get better...Doesn't look like he wants to play in 2016...Hell, not 2017 either...fumbling...picks...geez

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Does everyone realize that Case Keenum has started a TOTAL of 16 games in his career?
The obvious comeback is "yeah, because he's not that good", which can be argued, but I still think he may surprise given a full camp as the #1.
Not worried about Goff at all, actually hope he sits all year - we're not going deep into the playoffs this year anyway.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll start with Goff. What happened to that "most Pro ready" QB?
I thought is was common knowledge that he most certainly wasn't the most pro ready. I certainly knew he wasn't, and i'm definitely no genius when it comes to evaluating QB's transitioning to the NFL.

Who was saying that prior to the draft?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I thought is was common knowledge that he most certainly wasn't the most pro ready. I certainly knew he wasn't, and i'm definitely no genius when it comes to evaluating QB's transitioning to the NFL.

Who was saying that prior to the draft?

There were a number of pundits that felt he had the most tools.....

Still, many feel that the Air Raid Spread guys will have a steep learning curve.

Unless you play at one of about 10 schools, it is remedial QB 101 when you're drafted to the NFL.

If I was a HS QB wanting to play in the NFL, I'm going to Arkansas, Alabama, Stanford, LSU, maybe Georgia...having a real hard time thinking of colleges that require the QB to play from under center, run a play action scheme, repeat play calls and make protection calls.

I would not go to Oregon, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, TCU, Auburn, Ohio State, Clemson or Ole Miss. Gimmicky High School offenses.