Just a bit of playoff perspective

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Only perhaps 3 or 4 times have the #1 seeds from both conferences made the Super Bowl. Overall the #1 seeds haven't made it to the Super Bowl as much as the other seeds. IMO the number 2 seed is the best slot. They get the #7 wildcard for their first game and play the weakest of the remaining teams the following week.

The next best seeding could be the number 5 seed (where the Rams sit currently). The Rams would play the weakest of the remaining teams in the second playoff game. That's why I'm not worried. If they beat the Cards on Monday, it's going to be in their heads if they meet in the playoffs. That is one of the impacts of Monday's game. Just like when Seattle took the division but lost their last regular-season game to the Rams. Tell me that playoff win wasn't an in-your-face moment. (So you got the division BFD) The division championship is great but the real prize is the Lombardi and winning a division is no guarantee of that. If McVay stays wedded to the run and Morris stays wedded to playing his secondary more like Staley did his the Rams will be a very tough out. With Michel as the grinder at RB and no one stops Kupp, Jefferson, Higbee, and OBJ for an entire game the Lombardi is still achievable.

TexasRam

Legend
Coaching - in particular strategy and scheme, start to separate the wheat from the chaff come playoffs.

The crazy thing is even if you limp into the playoffs, it is still not too late to make adjustment in scheme.

In fact, huge upsets can be accomplished when a team completely does something different then what they showed on film during the season.

What is the chance Morris does that? Don't know. Probably not highly likely. But if he does and it works he will go from zero to hero.

Can Mcvay continue to evolve his scheme down the stretch? It's possible. I think he is showing that right now. We will find out this week.

The 5th seed isn't bad. If it ended today we would play the Cowboys which are beatable. In the divisional round we would play Arizona while Green bay played Tampa Bay, assuming they win their games. Hoping Tampa beats GB would put us in a Championship game vs Tampa who we match up with better than Green Bay.

Cowboys-Zona-Tampa-Superbowl. Guess who is now #1 seed in the AFC. The Cheats. Oh lordy.

But one game at a time and stuff.:laugh1::fistbump1:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here’s how things look after week 13.

B7CC62D6-1F3E-404D-912A-66F827B21FF5.png

D2F33C5E-3B71-4AB7-A5C6-7F3A2B902E32.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Coaching - in particular strategy and scheme, start to separate the wheat from the chaff come playoffs.

I am so with you here, @TexasRam.

McVay is experienced in playoff football now. Its game ON.

I hope for an aggressive game plan, every game. Set the pace in some way…

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
The Playoff Machine is out on ESPN where you simulate games and it spits out the playoff seeds and matchups.

I dont know if its accurate, I assume it is, but we lose EVERY single tiebreaker I came up with.

Doesnt really matter I suppose just get hot at the right time, stay healthy, and win the turnover battle and we can beat anyone. Id rather NOT have to go back to GB, but hey maybe the third time is the charm. To me thats the worst matchup for us if its @GB.

Will be a very fun next 6-7 weeks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Playoff Machine is out on ESPN where you simulate games and it spits out the playoff seeds and matchups.

I dont know if its accurate, I assume it is, but we lose EVERY single tiebreaker I came up with.

Doesnt really matter I suppose just get hot at the right time, stay healthy, and win the turnover battle and we can beat anyone. Id rather NOT have to go back to GB, but hey maybe the third time is the charm. To me thats the worst matchup for us if its @GB.

Will be a very fun next 6-7 weeks.
I'd rather not go to Green Bay either.

I think we can win there. We are good enough to do it.

But the weather... That changes everything. What you did to reach the playoffs goes out the window in bad weather. Luck sometimes takes over too.

Me; let's avoid GB.

But as you said @Rams8821 ... It's going to be fun watching how it all plays out.
:thumbsup1:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So irritating to see New England positioned as top seed. Can't imagine that lasts with them having a rook QB. The guy has done a good job of not screwing up, and he's had some nice games, but he's still a rook and has a lot of hard lessons to learn.

Looks like the AFC playoff field is deeper in quality with teams like the Colts and Steelers outside looking in. Both those teams can play with anyone tbh.

My biggest hope here is that SF just misses the playoffs. Then they can start planning on what to do with their shitty midround pick. Granted I'd love to have that pick, but still it's way better than watching them eff up a season right and get another top selection. :part:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Only perhaps 3 or 4 times have the #1 seeds from both conferences made the Super Bowl. Overall the #1 seeds haven't made it to the Super Bowl as much as the other seeds. IMO the number 2 seed is the best slot. They get the #7 wildcard for their first game and play the weakest of the remaining teams the following week.

The next best seeding could be the number 5 seed (where the Rams sit currently). The Rams would play the weakest of the remaining teams in the second playoff game. That's why I'm not worried. If they beat the Cards on Monday, it's going to be in their heads if they meet in the playoffs. That is one of the impacts of Monday's game. Just like when Seattle took the division but lost their last regular-season game to the Rams. Tell me that playoff win wasn't an in-your-face moment. (So you got the division BFD) The division championship is great but the real prize is the Lombardi and winning a division is no guarantee of that. If McVay stays wedded to the run and Morris stays wedded to playing his secondary more like Staley did his the Rams will be a very tough out. With Michel as the grinder at RB and no one stops Kupp, Jefferson, Higbee, and OBJ for an entire game the Lombardi is still achievable.
This isn't true as far as seeding. They redo seeding after every round, so the #1 seed will always get the lowest seeded team and the #2 will get the strongest seed in the division round if they win the wildcard. As a 5th seed, you start with the weakest division winner, but you will most likely play the #1 seed the next round unless the #6 or #7 seed upsets in the first round.