Julio Jones hires divers to find his lost diamond earring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The season can't get here soon enough. :baghead:
http://www.11alive.com/news/local/f...-jones-lost-treasure-in-lake-lanier/459521345

Divers seek Julio Jones' lost treasure in Lake Lanier
Brendan Keefe and Christopher Buchanan, WXIA

vlcsnap-2017-07-25-20h50m51s260_1501030638094_10128292_ver1.0.jpg

GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- A dive team dipped below the surface of Lake Lanier on a rescue mission. They weren't searching for someone - but something.

"I'm getting ready to dive for a diamond ring - a diamond earring," Bobby Griffin said.

The self-described "Scubaman" of Lake Lanier, Griffin was on a mission along with salvage diver Richard Pickering to uncover a bit of a treasure from the lake - though not one long-ago abandoned at the bottom of this man-made lake.

"Yeah, it was worth a little bit," Julio Jones said.

Jones, the superstar of the Atlanta Falcons lost his diamond earring while jet skiing. That was when he apparently hit a boat wake and was tossed into the water. He came back up, but his earring, worth more than $100,000 didn't. He suspects that it's now somewhere at the bottom of the lake - some 65 feet below.

At the bottom, it's completely dark.

"Pitch dark, which I was rather surprised at," Griffin said.

vlcsnap-2017-07-25-20h56m16s481_1501030638112_10128293_ver1.0.jpg

It's also full of trees that haven't seen daylight since the 1950s.

"They cut the trees off and let all the limbs fall down," Pickering added.

The only hope is that the divers' lights might catch a glint off the diamond - not an easy way to find such a small item.

"It's down in crevasses and nooks and crannies," Pickering said. "It's impossible - absolutely impossible."

That day, the divers rose from the water empty-handed. There was not catch today for Julio Jones though he said he's just happy no one was hurt when he fell.

"As long as I'm good, it's materialistic stuff," he said. "You can always get that kind of stuff back."

Or even better - replace it with a Super Bowl ring this season.

"Most definitely," Jones said.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Why is he wearing an earring worth 100k while jet skiing?
My opinion; he's a moron.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I know this is no big deal to him financially.....but c'mon dude it's supposedly worth 150K according the reports and you're wearing it on a jet ski?

Where is that Sulu busting out laughing gif when I need it.

This is just stoopud.

Pape

UDFA
Is there any truth to the rumor that the divers got 3/4 of the way down and couldn't finish the dive?

as an aside, diving in fresh water ponds is just the worst. And, given that he was moving, most assuredly the divers were given the wrong spot to search. When I did this sort of thing, the lost objects, if found were no where near where the people originally claimed. Being off just a foot can mean you will never see your "precious object" again.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Is there any truth to the rumor that the divers got 3/4 of the way down and couldn't finish the dive?

as an aside, diving in fresh water ponds is just the worst. And, given that he was moving, most assuredly the divers were given the wrong spot to search. When I did this sort of thing, the lost objects, if found were no where near where the people originally claimed. Being off just a foot can mean you will never see your "precious object" again.

He probably has it insured though right.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We're supposed to be worried about some rich dude losing his 100k earring? Screw him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I bet they found 'em and just didn't say anything :LOL:

I thought the same thing. LOL

Seriously though... There's no way that they're going find that thing in those conditions.

My guess is that the dive shops in the area (all 1 of them) are going to see a spike in their tank filling business for the next month or so though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A month after being married I lost my wedding ring on a forested trail that we were clearing. I knew it was within a fifty to hundred yard stretch. We looked and looked with no results. It was new and very shiny but said of us couldn't see it. The next day I borrowed a metal detector. We found it in about an hour. It was under a clump of crab grass. Crab grass is flat and radiates from the center. Somehow the ring ended up underneath it when it fell.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm pretty sure I shared this story last year, but it reminds me of this earring...

We took Warren Sapp out fishing. He had on his Super Bowl ring when we headed out 1st thing in the morning. He took it off all day while fishing though.

When you get back to the dock after a day of fishing offshore... the work ain't over. Sapp is a true fisheman and he was more than happy to wash the boat and deck down. I look over at him scrubbing the deck and it's impossible not to notice that he's wearing his SB ring again. I'm like,,, You sure you wanna be wearing that thing while you're scrubbing the boat? He just laughs and says that he does it all the time.

I'm cleaning fish on the dock right next to the boat... when I hear this extremely load metal ping sound from the boat. Warren's big ass ring has slipped off his finger from all the soap... it flew off and bounced off the deck of the boat making this very loud ping noise. Everyone froze for a minute because we all thought the worst. We just knew it had gone into the drink and that it was somewhere under the boat (about 12 feet under water) and probably gone forever. The sun was almost down. The current is running pretty good. No way we're gonna find that damn thing... at least not that evening.

Next thing I know... Sapp bends down a picks up his ring. It was still on the deck of the boat... but about 10 feet away from the spot where he let it slip off. He cranks the music back up and goes back to washing like nothing happened. I was still kinda in shock. LOL

About 10 minutes later Sapp makes sure to tell me that he has that ring of his "super" insured as he's laughing his ass off. He told me some stories about other players losing their rings and other expensive jewelry... he is prepared for the worst because of that. I bet Julio is too.