JT Vs Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You guys every take notice on their little passive spats? JT represents the little hater reporter that always asks the nitty gritty, gotcha, questions and Fisher has come to expect them. In fact, Fisher calling out JT after the DEN win was the best example of it.

Personally, I think JT comes off as a douche and Fisher just gets tired of him always looking to find ways to make him sweat. Just look at Fishers body language change when that weasel of a reporter asks a questions. There' s a little tension between those two. It always becomes my focal point when watching those interviews lol. :fighting:

jjab360

Legend
Saw Fisher calling out Thomas on ESPN after the Denver win lol.

It's rare to find coaches and reporters that get along, but you can always tell when there's a real riff between the two when a reporter oversteps his bounds. Nobody likes the guy who's always kissing the coach's ass, but when you start acting like a douchebag and calling for the guy's head way before his time, that's when you end up in the Bernie zone aka the outside looking in aka banned from the premises. Obviously that's not a very profitable place to be in that profession.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Jim Thomas always have. He doesn't report BS and when he does report it you can take it to the bank. Always professional as well and if you want to see a coached get called out you should watch a few New York press conferences.

I also respect Thomas for not trying to be something he's not. He's Missouri and I appreciate that about him and his humble approach in today's grand standing social media age!

I also enjoyed the banter between him and Fisher. Nobody on this board including yours truly felt they had a chance in hell against the Broncos, he could have focused on anyone, but he knew JT would take it well, which he did!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

I like Jim Thomas always have. He doesn't report BS and when he does report it you can take it to the bank. Always professional as well and if you want to see a coached get called out you should watch a few New York press conferences.

I also respect Thomas for not trying to be something he's not. He's Missouri and I appreciate that about him and his humble approach in today's grand standing social media age!

I also enjoyed the banter between him and Fisher. Nobody on this board including yours truly felt they had a chance in hell against the Broncos, he could have focused on anyone, but he knew JT would take it well, which he did!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I know zip, nada, f'all about hockey...
But that was great.:banana:

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis not liking JT:
You guys every take notice on their little passive spats? JT represents the little hater reporter that always asks the nitty gritty, gotcha, questions and Fisher has come to expect them. In fact, Fisher calling out JT after the DEN win was the best example of it.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your take on JT but I do have a question. What's your dividing line between asking softball questions and asking questions that might elicit an actual pertinent/interesting answers?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
JMO Fisher has a combative streak and JT gives him a vehicle to show it, I'm not a fan of the press they all seem to need a dose of humility and have thinner skin than the people they harangue ,but womb I ?
I enjoy seeing the press get slapped back and guffaw at the outrage they show when it happens.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd rather have a tough reporter that's honest than one that always kisses that ass of the team.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As far as I can tell...for the most part, JT tries to report the facts and not CREATE the news. I appreciate that about him. Of all the writers who work at the PD,,, he is the most professional and likable to me. Now if I compare him against some of the sports writers here in Orlando, JT wouldn't rank very high.

The thing about this question that makes me chuckle is that there truly is an apparent dislike of the PD writers by the Rams (not just Fish). At least that's what I see when I watch the face to face interactions. If I were a member of the Ram Staff, I would have a dislike for them too. The Clowns at the PD get what they deserve from the team... and that ain't much. Karma is a bitch.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
JT isn't as bad as some. He's factual. I admit though, I got a good chuckle out of his comment in his Q&A about being a fan of the team. He said he had to maintain neutral, so he couldn't be a true fan. Really? This ain't the political beat in DC. It's entirely possible to be factual about a team and be a fan too.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
JT isn't as bad as some. He's factual. I admit though, I got a good chuckle out of his comment in his Q&A about being a fan of the team. He said he had to maintain neutral, so he couldn't be a true fan. Really? This ain't the political beat in DC. It's entirely possible to be factual about a team and be a fan too.

I forgot to mention that in my post. You are dead on there.

JT and others at the PD have made it clear that they are in fact, NOT fans of the Rams.

Fascinating.

LOLZ

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I forgot to mention that in my post. You are dead on there.

JT and others at the PD have made it clear that they are in fact, NOT fans of the Rams.

Fascinating.

LOLZ

I don't know why not either. One of life's joys is having a LOCAL team you can root for. Watch every game with a pair of rabbit ears on the TV if you want to. For a sportswriter not like a local team, that's incomprehensible to me. A good writer for a local team should be a fan. This isn't ESPN.

Psycho_X

Legend
Actually I always thought the exact opposite. JT is one of the better reporters in St. Louis and I think him and Fisher have a good relationship that allows them to kinda have a *wink and throw barbs at each other* relationship, as well as, the Rams organization in general. Now for someone like Bernie.... pretty sure he is hated by everyone cause he's such a gossip queen shit stirrer.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
No idea where you are seeing tension. I've seen them interact at Rams park...they seem to get along just fine.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
JT changed his entire attitude when his "friend" (informant) Todd Hewitt was ungraciously terminated by the Spagnuolo regime. He was accustomed to getting all the "inside scoop" from his guy, and when he was fired, Thomas did a complete 180 in his approach to the coverage of this organization. He does make a point of "getting it right" as to the actual reporting, which does separate his from most of the minutia working at the STL Post-Dispatch. But make no mistake, he is NOT a fan of this organization.

As far as the Rams disdain for the PD, is there any wonder why? They go out of their way to "report" (speculate) about things that tend to make the organization look bad. For example, making a "story" out of a photo op that Tavon Austin had with LA RAMS fans, and somehow inciting the local fan base by saying it was a direct shot at the STL fans somehow making it to be a statement about Austin's and the Rams players preferring a move back to LA. Bernie is the absolute worst (there's a shock) when it comes to writing about this team. In the past 4 years, I have NEVER seen him show his face at Rams Park during training camp. But he somehow finds a way to digest every stat out there to show this team in a unfavorable light. One day he is on the Bradford bandwagon, the next, he's all about how Bradford is the biggest part of the problem.

As is the nature of the beast in today's media, this "newspaper" is much more interested in finding the scandals than reporting on anything productive coming out of Rams Park. Fisher is on record stating his feelings about the types of stories that this paper publishes. That he can even be civil to Thomas shows his understanding of his role as the Head Coach, and how its a necessary part of the job.

For what its worth, not to sound self serving here, but I have seen things while attending training camp practices, the same practices that the professional "beat writer" attends, that he has zero clue about. Most of the time, the flock of media all stand around on one end of the field, commiserating among themselves, paying little attention to what actually is happening on the field during practice. Then they just copy and paste the information that comes out of the post practice reports.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@CoachO I can believe they aren't paying attention. Sometimes I think Bernie doesn't even watch the games, at least it feels that way on occasion.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@CoachO tells it like it is and I have little doubt because we now live in a copy and paste society. One can surmise that from a media perspective none of their minds have ever been soiled with an original thought!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a reporter (not to be confused with a columnist) shoud remain as objective as they can.

I also thing balanced reporting is something we all want, not only in sports.

So, no, I would not want him to be a fan.

As painful (or annoying) as negative reports can be, sometimes, they are accurate nonetheless.

I like Jim Thomas.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your take on JT but I do have a question. What's your dividing line between asking softball questions and asking questions that might elicit an actual pertinent/interesting answers?

What's the line? When your asking questions that generally make the coach look bad. Or a rhetorical question that doesn't beam a positive image on the couch. What he does is ask a few easier ones before he drops one Fisher doesn't care for. There are several press conferences where Fisher answering JT's questions pretty much is the press conference. JT is very factual with his reporting, but he can be a sneaky snake with a discrete hidden agenda. I've been onto his game for some time, lol.