JT: RG3 Trade - 1 Year Later

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-cash-in-big-on-deal-that-let-skins-pick/article_81e33e0e-d2b2-50d4-9200-9034e8078543.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 78543.html</a>

Fdg4CZ8.jpg

St. Louis Rams defenders Michael Brockers (90), who the Rams took first in the 2012 draft, and Robert
Quinn (94) celebrate a sack last season. (Photo by Robert Cohen, rcohen@post-dispatch.com)

They say it takes at least three years to fairly evaluate a team’s draft class, or even an individual draft pick.

So what then is the measuring stick for a blockbuster multi-player draft trade? Namely, the Rams trading the No. 2 overall pick to Washington 13 months ago in the so-called “RGIII trade.”

One year after the fact, who got the best of it?

“I think we did for sure,” Rams quarterback Sam Bradford said at the end of the 2012 season. “Just with all the picks that we have. What we’re going to be able to build. What we’ve already started to build here. I think this team is on the fast track.”

And as Rams coach Jeff Fisher sees, not all of the precincts have even reported.

“The trade is not complete yet,” Fisher said. “We still have a couple of years to take advantage of it.”

That’s because the Rams still get a first-round pick from Washington this year — No. 22 overall — as well as the Redskins’ first-round pick in the 2014 draft as part of that trade.

In March 2012, the Rams dealt their No. 2 overall pick to Washington, which used it to select dynamic Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

In exchange, the Rams received Washington’s No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks last year, plus the Redskins’ first-round pick in 2013 and in 2014.

A couple of weeks after the trade, but still a month before the 2012 draft, Fisher called the deal a “perfect storm” because of the confluence of need and value. Several teams needed a quarterback entering that draft, and Griffin brought the value as an elite prospect.

One the draft began, the Rams turned the two 2012 picks acquired from Washington into four players following additional trade-downs with Dallas and Chicago: defensive tackle Michael Brockers, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, running back Isaiah Pead and offensive guard Rokevious Watkins.

The Rams’ draft haul stemming from the trade could have been even bigger. After trading down from No. 6 to No. 14 with Dallas, league sources recently told the Post-Dispatch that the Rams tried to move out of the No. 14 spot as well to pick up even more draft picks. Hey, when your franchise has lost 65 of its last 80 games, you need bodies. Lots of bodies.

Obviously, the Rams stayed at No. 14 and took Brockers. One year later, they’re not complaining.

Even with a high ankle sprain that cost him the first three games of the 2012 season and lingered for much of the year, Brockers played up to expectations and flashed Pro Bowl potential. Jenkins scored four defensive TDs and, if he avoids off-field trouble, could be a Pro Bowl-caliber player.

Pead rarely played as a rookie and Watkins was done for the year after suffering a severe ankle injury on opening day. But both players are potential starters. So for now, that makes the tally two potential Pro Bowlers, two potential starters and two more first-round draft picks for the Rams as the result of the RGIII trade.

Or six players to one.

“After what the Rams got (in the trade), Jeff ought to break his arm patting himself on the back for getting that deal,’’ NFL.com draft analyst Gil Brandt said. “The term I use: You oughta be put in jail for stealing. The Rams stole. But that’s good.”

No storm brewing this year

No matter what trades transpires in the 2013 draft, no one will get the kind of haul the Rams pulled in a year ago. Why? To use Fisher’s words, there simply isn’t the “perfect storm” of value and need at the top of this year’s draft.

“So your fans will say, ‘Why are we trading that choice and only getting a second-round pick to go along with it?’” Brandt said. “Starting with the media, they’re all gonna compare it to what the Rams got last year.”

But if you’re the Redskins, who cares?

“If I’m Washington, I’m clapping my hands,” Brandt said. “I’m gonna say, ‘You know what? I don’t mind giving up draft picks to get (Griffin).’ ”

The Redskins certainly aren’t looking back. They made the trade and couldn’t be happier.

“I think that’s a very fair way to assess it,” said Joe Theismann, a former Washington quarterback who’s still close to the organization. “I mean, (the Redskins) felt like they made a deal and were getting somebody special, and that’s who they got. Not just for this year. But going forward.

“The Redskins, I believe, made the deal believing that they were not going to be a team that was going to only have three or four wins. They were going to be a 10-, 11-win team. They were going to be drafting late in the first round. And that sort of played out. I think the whole way Mike and Bruce envisioned this actually played out the way they expected it to.”

That would be Washington coach Mike Shanahan and executive vice president-general manager Bruce Allen.

Since making the playoffs as a wild-card team in 2007, the Redskins didn’t have a winning season from 2008 through 2011. The team finished in the cellar of the NFC East all four of those seasons and didn’t have an original first-round pick lower than No. 13.

(Not exactly a Rams-like string of futility — St. Louis went 12-52 from ’08 through ’11 — but still not very good.)

RGIII success Lowers Rams’ pick

With Griffin at QB in 2012, the ’Skins went 10-6 and won their first NFC East title since 1999. As a result, that first-round pick that went to the Rams in 2012 is No. 22 overall, not the expected top-10 pick.

“You can’t just look at what (RGIII) did for Washington on the field,” Theismann said. “The fact that he was rookie of the year tells you how well he played on the field. But the excitement and the enthusiasm of the fans, the general energy that he has brought to the city, and the fact that his jersey I think is the No. 1 selling jersey. All those factors tell you about the type of a person he is.”

And the kind of impact he’s had in just one season.

“I think he’s been able to lift this franchise to a point where even with all the negative things that are perceived happening to it, there’s a very positive attitude at Redskin Park,” Theismann said.

When it comes to RGIII on the field, Fisher doesn’t disagree on his impact. Granted, the Rams beat the Redskins 31-28 in Week 2 on a day when Bradford outplayed his counterpart. One of Washington’s scores came on a defensive touchdown.

“I’m glad we didn’t play the Redskins late,” Fisher said. “... We got him early in the season, he was becoming more and more familiar with the scheme. He did a great job. Obviously, he’s a tremendously talented player.”

One of the only storm clouds, and it’s a big one, is Griffin’s knee injury in that wild-card playoff game against Seattle.

Following surgery, his status for opening day in 2013 is uncertain although early reports have been encouraging. The larger question is whether RGIII — and the rest of the new breed of read-option quarterbacks — can withstand the rigors of getting hit running the football over the long haul.

“It’s hard to say,” Fisher said. “The only thing you can say about it is if the quarterback takes the ball down the line of scrimmage (as is the case on read-option plays), he does not get the protection he gets when he’s in the pocket. He is a runner. So he’s going to get hit. How that relates to the future of this concept, this trend, I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”

If Griffin can’t hold up over the long haul, then the RGIII trade no longer looks like the “win-win” deal that it is today.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So far;

Redskins
RG3

Rams
Jenkins
Pead
Watkins
2013 first rounder
2014 first rounder

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
So far;

Redskins
RG3

Rams
Jenkins
Pead
Watkins
2013 first rounder
2014 first rounder
Brockers too.
The Rams traded their #6 from Washington to Dallas for the #14 & #45.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good trade for both teams...Redskins got one heck of a player and the Rams did receive ample compensation. The big loser was the Cleveland Browns because the Browns needed a face for their franchise and Holmgren did not want to part with two first round picks which they could have done in 2012 & 2013.

Holmgren is now looking for work and the Browns once again are looking for a QB. Anyway I wish the Redskins no irreparable harm I just hope they 0-16 in 2013. :cool:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
den-the-coach said:
Good trade for both teams...Redskins got one heck of a player and the Rams did receive ample compensation. The big loser was the Cleveland Browns because the Browns needed a face for their franchise and Holmgren did not want to part with two first round picks which they could have done in 2012 & 2013.

Holmgren is now looking for work and the Browns once again are looking for a QB. Anyway I wish the Redskins no irreparable harm I just hope they 0-16 in 2013. :cool:

You nailed my thoughts exactly. Nice job, den.

:cheese:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
den-the-coach said:

I couldn't disagree more.........but I'll try :ww:

RGIII and what he did or would have cost Washington and Cleveland would have been excessive under the OLD CBA, under the new one and the cap friendly value draft choices render,I can't see why anyone would ever lack SO MUCH trust in their scouting dept as to doubt their ability to add more value to a team with three firsts and a second vs. one somewhat fragile running QB.

LOOK what San Fran got for the pick they surrendered for Colin Kapernick IS RG three first round choice BETTER than CK ? Not IMO.
I think SOME opportunities are better lost.
The variable that I don't see here though is this IMO WE could have traded Sam Bradford to the Browns for more than most agree he would have yielded so those picks need to be factored in to any consideration I would make.

I'm not IN to a truncated argument ,but IMO we will make this a Hershal Walker like trade,Washington shouldn't be AS "hoodwinked" as Minn was in that trade, but the fan in me sez we use it like Dallas did and we create a potentially dynastic team.
But yeah suppose RG isn't ever the same suppose they totally tank Shanahan goes bonkers (he's pretty tightly wound) and they fire the guy mid season,there ARE long knives out for him to some degree NOW over the degree of RGknee.

I had to chukkle that someoneasked Sam, WHAT DID they think he'd say :rofl:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The Dude said:
CGI_Ram said:
So far;

Redskins
RG3

Rams
Jenkins
Pead
Watkins
2013 first rounder
2014 first rounder
Brockers too.
I don't know as I'd count Brockers. He was our #1 pick, which we were going to have regardless if it was taken at 2, 6 or 14.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Ram Quixote said:
The Dude said:
CGI_Ram said:
So far;

Redskins
RG3

Rams
Jenkins
Pead
Watkins
2013 first rounder
2014 first rounder
Brockers too.
I don't know as I'd count Brockers. He was our #1 pick, which we were going to have regardless if it was taken at 2, 6 or 14.

No. You must count Brockers. He was part of the trade.

The Rams had the #2 overall pick in their column. That was the magic ticket.

They traded that pick to Washington for the #6 overall pick plus a 2nd rounder last year. Plus 2 more first rounders.

It was a 1 pick for 4 pick deal.

The Skins used the 1 pick on RG3.

The Rams took the 4 picks and parlayed them into 2 additional picks by trading down with Dallas and Chicago. So that one pick, the #2 overall, yielded 6 total picks so far: Brockers, Jenkins, Pead, Watkins, plus 2 pending first rounders.

A55VA6

Legend
We won the trade. RG3 is going to have an injury filled career with a team that isn't going to go anywhere, in my opinion.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would only add that a plethora of picks are worthless if your President,GM,scouts,HC and staff are worthless. :shifty:

If Snead can continue the success of recognizing talent and overall draft day competence,this could go down as one of the greatest trades in NFL history in terms of reviving a broken franchise.

Think about it,if Pead has success in 2013 how does that already good rookie class look heading into 2014?

Its nice to finally have some confidence when your team drafts players beyond the 1st and 2nd rd.

iced

Ram Quixote said:
The Dude said:
CGI_Ram said:
So far;

Redskins
RG3

Rams
Jenkins
Pead
Watkins
2013 first rounder
2014 first rounder
Brockers too.

disagree.. Fisher pounded the table when Jax jumped ahead of us to get Blackmon. i think the pick was blackmon then brockers

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
So far;

Redskins
RG3

Rams
Jenkins
Pead
Watkins
2013 first rounder
2014 first rounder
How can you not include Brockers?
Pead rarely played as a rookie and Watkins was done for the year after suffering a severe ankle injury on opening day. But both players are potential starters. So for now, that makes the tally two potential Pro Bowlers, two potential starters and two more first-round draft picks for the Rams as the result of the RGIII trade.

Or six players to one.

“After what the Rams got (in the trade), Jeff ought to break his arm patting himself on the back for getting that deal,’’ NFL.com draft analyst Gil Brandt said. “The term I use: You oughta be put in jail for stealing. The Rams stole. But that’s good.”
Love the bolded part
train

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Thordaddy said:
den-the-coach said:

I couldn't disagree more.........but I'll try :ww:

RGIII and what he did or would have cost Washington and Cleveland would have been excessive under the OLD CBA, under the new one and the cap friendly value draft choices render,I can't see why anyone would ever lack SO MUCH trust in their scouting dept as to doubt their ability to add more value to a team with three firsts and a second vs. one somewhat fragile running QB.

LOOK what San Fran got for the pick they surrendered for Colin Kapernick IS RG three first round choice BETTER than CK ? Not IMO.
I think SOME opportunities are better lost.
The variable that I don't see here though is this IMO WE could have traded Sam Bradford to the Browns for more than most agree he would have yielded so those picks need to be factored in to any consideration I would make.

I'm not IN to a truncated argument ,but IMO we will make this a Hershal Walker like trade,Washington shouldn't be AS "hoodwinked" as Minn was in that trade, but the fan in me sez we use it like Dallas did and we create a potentially dynastic team.
But yeah suppose RG isn't ever the same suppose they totally tank Shanahan goes bonkers (he's pretty tightly wound) and they fire the guy mid season,there ARE long knives out for him to some degree NOW over the degree of RGknee.

I had to chukkle that someoneasked Sam, WHAT DID they think he'd say :rofl:

I agree with some of what you're saying, and at the same time I disagree with a bit too. Redskins did fine by themselves in this deal, because RG3 is an outstanding athlete. I think you focus too much on the running QB bit, that guy has an incredible arm. Scrap the gimmick run-option and the dude could drop back and pass no problem. I digress. All the Browns/Skins needed to do was look at the current status of college football to see that 2013 draft wouldn't offer much in the way of help at QB, looks like both teams prognosticated correctly.

When teams don't need to worry about rookie contract money, draft picks become the new currency, and the antiquated value chart has to go out the window because that was weighted in accordance to the old system of paying a hefty bounty to a Top 10 pick. I do think that the Browns ended up alright in this deal because though Weeden isn't RG3, the Browns are still well ahead in cap space and have an extra 1st rounder to spare. I'd have to say that Weeden/Richardson/Schwartz/Gordon will be a better bet long term than RG3/Garcon/Morris, because if you recall Shannahan history, Morris will be gone in a year.

Dumping Bradford to the Browns would have just set this franchise back big time though, regardless the package they could have come up with. We'd be looking at Weeden at best, or Geno Smith/Barkley in the first this year. No thanks to that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
mojorizen7 said:
I would only add that a plethora of picks are worthless if your President,GM,scouts,HC and staff are worthless. :shifty:

If Snead can continue the success of recognizing talent and overall draft day competence,this could go down as one of the greatest trades in NFL history in terms of reviving a broken franchise.

Think about it,if Pead has success in 2013 how does that already good rookie class look heading into 2014?

Its nice to finally have some confidence when your team drafts players beyond the 1st and 2nd rd.

As in during the Ziggy/Shaw show days? Yeah. We might have gotten one starter out of all those picks. :bummed:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nighttrain said:

My logic; we had a first round pick in 2012. We didn't gain one, just swapped spots.

So, Brockers was in effect OUR first round pick. Not a pick gained.

A55VA6

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:

My logic; we had a first round pick in 2012. We didn't gain one, just swapped spots.

Agreed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:

Overruled.

fwIDrV3.jpg

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:

See, I said the same thing. We weren't NOT going to have a first round pick; neither were the Redskins. The bounty of the pick was the 2013 & 2014 first rounders and the 2012 second. What they were turned into after that we all know. Dropping twice in the first round was the trade off, but Fisher got his man. Unless you believe he pounded the table when JAX took Blackmon because he was upset. I think it was a celebratory pound; he didn't have to worry about the second-guessers when they traded #6 and took Brockers @ 14.

iced

Ram Quixote said:
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:

See, I said the same thing. We weren't NOT going to have a first round pick; neither were the Redskins. The bounty of the pick was the 2013 & 2014 first rounders and the 2012 second. What they were turned into after that we all know. Dropping twice in the first round was the trade off, but Fisher got his man. Unless you believe he pounded the table when JAX took Blackmon because he was upset. I think it was a celebratory pound; he didn't have to worry about the second-guessers when they traded #6 and took Brockers @ 14.

yea...no....he was upset

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/27/rams-were-poised-to-pick-blackmon-before-jaguars-traded-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... traded-up/</a>

The Rams are waking up satisfied this morning, knowing they drafted a player they like a lot in the first round in Michael Brockers, and knowing they’ll be in the driver’s seat tonight after acquiring two additional second-round picks. But that’s not to say everything played out just how the Rams wanted.

In fact, what the Rams were really hoping for was Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon. Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Rams’ first choice was Alabama running back Trent Richardson, but it never seemed realistic that he’d fall to them with the No. 6 overall pick. Their second choice was Blackmon, and they thought they were about to acquire him until the Jaguars traded ahead of them and drafted Blackmon.

Silver writes that when the Rams found out the Jags had jumped them and would take Blackmon fifth overall, Rams head coach Jeff Fisher slammed his eyeglasses onto the table and uttered a one-syllable expletive. But Fisher recovered quickly and was thrilled with what followed: The Rams moved down to No. 14 in a trade that got them the Cowboys’ second-round pick, and the player the Rams chose at 14, Brockers, is someone they liked well enough that they would have considered taking him sixth.

Now the Rams are enjoying a Friday in which they’ll surely field many trade offers for the first overall pick in the second round. If they get an offer they like, they’ll continue doing what they’ve already done twice with picks in this draft, and gain value for a trade down. If not, they’ll begin tonight owning the 33rd, 39th, 45th and 65th overall picks, and knowing they’ll keep improving their team. Even after missing out on Blackmon.

Their board:
Trent Richardson
Blackmon
Brockers

here's silver's article <a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rams-get-their-man-michael-brockers--ndash--after-their-first-two-choices-were-drafted.html;_ylt=AuH7It1abQTWn2pv53ZSz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rams- ... Wn2pv53ZSz</a>

ST. LOUIS – With two minutes, twenty-two seconds left before the Arizona Cardinals' deadline to make the 13th overall selection in the 2012 NFL draft, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher had a lump in his throat and a sinking feeling in his gut.
Fisher, flanked by chief operating officer Kevin Demoff to his left and rookie general manager Les Snead to his right while sitting at a table in the Rams' war room Thursday night, was riding an emotional roller coaster in his first draft with the franchise. Earlier, he'd hopefully embraced scenarios that would have allowed the team to select Alabama halfback Trent Richardson (a home run) or Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon (the next-best thing) with the sixth overall pick, only to lose out on both.

In response, Fisher, Snead and Demoff had engineered a dramatic, on-the-clock trade with the Dallas Cowboys which landed the Rams a third pick in Friday's second round. Now, with the 14th pick that once belonged to the Cowboys, Fisher desperately wanted to draft the man he'd happily have selected eight picks earlier had there been no trade option: LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers.
Only the Cardinals, the Rams' NFC West rivals, stood in St. Louis' way. Would Arizona take Brockers? Would another suitor swing a trade with the Cards to nab the interior lineman, as the Jacksonville Jaguars had in landing Blackmon with the fifth pick?
Snead, relentlessly working his mental Rolodex of NFL front-office contacts, was chatting up one team's GM on the land line in front of him while reading text messages on his mobile phone. Finally, with the clock ticking, Snead got the information he'd been seeking.
"They're going offense," Snead said of Arizona. "We're good."
Snead and Fisher bumped fists and exhaled in unison. Demoff, sipping from one of the three Diet Mountain Dew cans in his vicinity, let out a small grin.
Fisher stood up and turned to face three dozen people behind him, a collection of scouts, assistant coaches and other team employees. For a few seconds, the room was hushed.
"It's fourth-and-10," the coach finally said, "and we just got a first down, baby!"
The war room erupted. There were high-fives all around.
"Any questions, concerns about this pick?" Fisher asked.
A few people said, "No," while others shook their heads side-to-side.
"That was sweet," Fisher said. "Let's turn in the card."
More than two hours later, Fisher and Snead were still celebrating the outcome of their first draft together – and looking ahead excitedly to Friday night. With the Rams back on the clock as owners of the first pick of the second round, and owners of four of Friday's first 33 selections (33rd, 39th, 45th and 65th overall), the coach and GM believe they can come away with a slew of reinforcements for their talent-deficient roster – and, perhaps, deal down for additional picks from teams seeking to move up to the top of the second round.

Given that the Rams made the draft's biggest blockbuster deal more than a month ago, trading the No. 2 overall selection – which the Redskins used to select quarterback Robert Griffin III Thursday night – for Washington's first-round picks in 2012, '13 and '14 and its second-round selection this year, there might as well be an "Open For Business" sign outside the war room.

Inside, there's a detailed draft board that, near its upper portions, still has some enticing players available for Friday. Given that Fisher and Snead went into Thursday's first round high on the potential of numerous players they felt were likely to be available in the first half of the second round – and with clear needs at, among other positions, receiver, running back, linebacker and cornerback – picking up an additional second-round selection was a clear goal.
Yet the Rams would have been far less motivated to trade that sixth overall pick had Richardson or Blackmon been available. Despite the presence of three-time Pro Bowl halfback Steven Jackson on the roster, Fisher and Snead viewed Richardson as a potential star with rare talent and would have celebrated had he slipped to six.
At one point Thursday afternoon, a few hours before the draft began, Fisher emerged from his office at Rams Park thinking such a scenario might play out. Following the inevitable selections of Andrew Luck (Colts) and Griffin (Redskins), he believed after talking to various league sources that the Vikings would take LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne with the third pick, and the Browns would follow by selecting Blackmon. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he felt, would trade out of the fifth pick for a team seeking USC tackle Matt Kalil, leaving Richardson for the Rams.
That blew up when it was reported the Browns had traded up to swap picks with the Vikings – with the intention of taking Richardson. Blackmon, one of numerous receivers for whom the Rams staged private workouts the previous weekend, was now the best hope at No. 6.
After Cleveland took Richardson off the board, the Vikings followed by selecting Kalil, and there were fist pumps in the war room. The Rams had no interest in Kalil and were now one pick away from landing Blackmon, who'd immediately have become the most potent weapon for third-year quarterback Sam Bradford.
The Bucs, Fisher and Snead believed, weren't likely to select Blackmon. When the Rams' IT director, Bill Consoli, announced that the Jags had traded up for the fifth pick (information that was revealed in the war room minutes before television viewers received the news, as Consoli was communicating with counterparts from the league's 31 other franchises), Fisher slammed his eyeglasses onto the table and uttered a one-syllable expletive.

It didn't take long before he rebounded emotionally, conferring with Snead and Demoff about the team's options.
That morning, the coach and general manager had pulled out game tapes on the three men they were considering selecting with the sixth pick if Richardson and Blackmon were off the board: Brockers, Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and Claiborne.
First, they'd made the philosophical decision to go with a defensive tackle over the draft's top-rated cornerback. Then, impressed by Brockers' power and relentlessness, they had reversed their earlier thought process and elevated him over Cox.
Now, they had a decision to make: Brockers, Fisher and Snead believed, might stay on the board for the next several picks, perhaps even longer. The decision was made to seek a trade, and the coach and GM each picked up the phone and tried to make it happen.
Seconds later, Demoff fielded a call from Cowboys general manager Stephen Jones, who wanted to trade up to draft Claiborne. "How are you, Stephen," Demoff said. "We're interested in doing something."
Demoff had laid the groundwork for such a discussion six hours earlier, dialing Jones and telling him, "If you want to trade up to 6, consider us. We'll be reasonable. We already got such a great deal from the Redskins [in the Griffin trade] that we won't try to screw you guys."
Now, with the Rams on the clock, Jones told Demoff he'd make the deal for Dallas' first- and second-round selections: 14th and 45th overall. The Rams' COO hung up and briefly discussed the trade with Fisher and Snead, reviewing a value chart assigning points to specific picks. Then he called Jones back and said, "Stephen, it's Kevin. Would you throw in your five? … Come on. … What will you throw in as a cherry on top?"
Um … nothing.
Demoff laughed. "Alright," he said, "we'll call you right back."
Demoff redialed Jones a minute later and told him he had a deal, making a joke about how, by trading away their second-rounder, the Cowboys were mitigating the pain of the $10 million salary-cap penalty imposed by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. The Rams were halfway through their allotted 10 minutes and, after Demoff called in the trade to an NFL official in New York City, Fisher pumped both fists.

Before the trade was announced on ESPN or the NFL Network, Demoff had already fielded a congratulatory call from Eagles general manager Howie Roseman.
To make the deal a true success, Brockers had to stay on the board – and, thus, the sweating commenced. The Chiefs' selection of Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe (who the Rams had rated below Brockers and Cox) with the 11th pick didn't contribute to the stress, but when the Eagles selected Cox one pick later, the war room got very quiet.
Had Brockers come off the board next, the Rams would have tried to trade down further in the first round or, failing that, chosen between Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff or Stanford guard David DeCastro.
Instead, they got their man, setting off a celebration that intensified when defensive line coach Mike Waufle exultantly entered the room and gained energy after Fisher dialed up Brockers to give him the news, saying, "Michael, how's it going? Here we go. You ready to rock? Coach Waufle's jumping up and down right now …"

Waufle, who spent the 2010 and '11 seasons as the Raiders' defensive line coach, had fought hard for Brockers, who he viewed as an interior pass rusher with skills similar to those of Oakland defensive tackle Tommy Kelly.
"He's a mean [expletive]," Waufle announced shortly after entering the war room, drawing laughs from everyone. "That's a good thing. That's a good thing!"
Waufle then spied the lone woman in the room, scouting assistant Debbie Pollom, and said, "Oh, hey Debbie. I'm sorry. I speak Italian."
Pollom laughed, and Waufle kept right on talking up his new tackle.
"We just got better," Waufle said. "And we just got a lot bigger. He's 21, and he looks 32. You think he's gonna be intimidated walking into the Edward Jones Dome, after playing at LSU? No chance.
"They say he's not much of a pass rusher, but we'll teach him to pass rush. Tommy Kelly wasn't either, at one time, and we taught him how to power rush. The last two years he's had more sacks [14 ½] than any defensive tackle in the league, and this kid will do the same. Tommy's tough, but this guy's nasty."
On the big-screen televisions behind Waufle, Brockers strode to the podium. When NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said to former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci, "Mooch, he's not much of a pass rusher," Waufle sneered, "Yeah – we'll see."
After Fisher back-slapped Waufle, telling him, "Merry Christmas," the head coach headed downstairs to address the media gathered in the team's press room. Demoff, who'd consume five Diet Mountain Dews by round's end ["That's nothing," he said. "Last year I went through 36 over the three days … I'm getting better …"), reviewed the events of the past several hours and said, "Sometimes things just work out."
For Fisher, who spent 16 seasons with the Tennessee Titans' organization before sitting out the 2011 campaign, and Snead, the general manager he handpicked after an exhaustive search that ended shortly after Super Bowl XLVI in February, Thursday was a successful beginning to what they believe will be a fabulous partnership.

"That's a solid start," Snead told the coach as they shook hands following Brockers' selection, and the two men were still revved up and going strong long after midnight as they reviewed the various scenarios for what should be a highly eventful Friday.
As he prepared to leave the office to catch a few hours of sleep, Fisher sat back in his chair, sipped an ice water and told Demoff, "I don't know how these things went before I got here, but that was really good."
Demoff nodded. "Very calm," he said. "Very smooth. And very cool."
Fisher smiled. "Just the way we like it," he said. "And tomorrow's gonna be a whole lot of fun."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:

that doesn''t make a lick of sense.

brockers was part of the deal.

so the rams could have had rg3.

instead they got - brockers, jenkins, pead, watkins, 2013 round 1 pick, 2014 round 1 pick.