JT Rams Chat Highlights: JT Likes Watkins but See's OT at #2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT Chat Highlights

—The Rams, like all NFL teams, are always close to the vest. My preferred picks, again based on what was available in the draft was in Sunday’s Post-Dispatch mock: Watkins at No.2 overall and Martin at No. 13. But I have to say I don’t have strong feelings either way. There are a lot of options with those two picks that could lead to good players and address needs.

—I think Houston either takes Clowney or trades out and whoever trades up (Atlanta?) takes him. So the Rams are either looking to trade down from 2 or take one of the OTs. At 13, obviously it depends on who’s there. But I’d say the two corners (GIlbert/Dennard) and even Aaron Donald might be strong possibilities there.

—I think the one thing people continue to underrate is how bad, historically bad, the roster was when Bradford was drafted.

—Watkins At #2? Obviously, there are people upstairs here at Rams Park who like Watkins; I think some like him enough that they would like to draft him at No. 2 overall. But I still don’t think it’s gonna happen. The only reason I put him at No. 2 overall in our last mock draft (Sunday’s) was because I wanted to look at another scenario, especially how it might effect the pick at No. 13 overall.

—They’ve spent four draft picks on WRs in the past two years _ taking one in the first (Austin, 2013), one in the second (Quick, 2012), one in the third (Bailey, 2013), and one in the fourth (Givens, 2014). And remember, they traded up for Austin last year. I just don’t think they want to invest a No. 2 overall pick in another WR.

—Tavon Austin is kind of in a separate category in terms of being a big-play guy both at WR and a PR. But in terms of WR skills, I don’t think there’s anyone in this building who would disagree with the premise that Watkins has better receiving skills than anyone on the current roster.

—Concerned about WR Coaching? Not at this point. It takes some longer than others to develop. Marvin Harrison, for example, didn’t take off until about year 3. Quick obviously is running out of time. Givens seems like he’s seen the light and has matured. We’ll see. I think it’s fine to question the coaching, but I’m not ready to go there (as Spags would say) just yet.

—Odds Both 1st Rounders Offensive Players? I’d have to say less than 50-50.

—Unlike the QBs, the OTs don’t seem to be dropping. I’d have no problem with either Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson at No. 2. I think both of them are gone by 6 or 7.

—Laurinaitis’ cap count drops from $10.4 million this year to $4.02 in 2015. That’s a $6.4 million savings. Long’s cap count drops from $13.2 million in ’14 to $10 million in ’15 _ that’s a savings of $3.2 million. So combined that’s nearly $10 million in extra cap room from just those two players in ’15.

—Myself, I’m just not sure if I see Robinson as a clear cut more dominant player than Matthews or even Lewan. No matter how good of a run blocker you are in this league, you can’t survive in the NFL if you can’t pass block.

—Round for a QB? Again, I’d say Rounds 3-5. Too many candidates to single out one: Savage, Shaw, Murray, McCarron, Garoppolo, etc.

—I’ve had some people in the game who I respect totally say they don’t think it’s necessarily an upgrade _ at least not right away _ if Clowney is drafted and Long is traded. Again, a reminder. Only 5 players in the entire National Football League have more sacks than Chris Long over the last four seasons.

—Barksdale Move Inside? Good question. I’d guess that Robinson or Matthews gets pushed inside at guard for a year.

—There are plenty of candidates for break out player this year. Maybe Brockers. Maybe Givens (again). Maybe Tavon Austin. Maybe Saffold stays healthy, stays at guard and makes the Pro Bowl. Maybe Ray Ray Armstrong moves into a linebacker spot and takes off. On a team this young, there are myriad possibilities.

—I think Lewan, generally considered the No. 3 OT will be gone by #13. So the Rams could either trade up for him, or stay at 13 and take Zack Martin.

Read All Chat Highlights

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Two comments in the highlights that stuck out:

I think the one thing people continue to underrate is how bad, historically bad, the roster was when Bradford was drafted.

Laurinaitis’ cap count drops from $10.4 million this year to $4.02 in 2015. That’s a $6.4 million savings. Long’s cap count drops from $13.2 million in ’14 to $10 million in ’15 _ that’s a savings of $3.2 million. So combined that’s nearly $10 million in extra cap room from just those two players in ’15.
---------------------------------------
A few more from the entire chat:

On Isaiah Pead:

According to Kevin Demoff, the Rams had 100 percent attendance, at least in Week 1. Hard to gauge whether Pead is progressing, because all the Rams players are doing the first two weeks are lifting and conditioning drills. (And the media isn't allowed to watch.)

The odds of staying put at both 2 and 13:

I'd say 20%

Picking an OT at #2 with the possibility of him playing guard:

You know Larry Allen was drafted as a tackle and ended up playing guard the majority of his career and made the Hall of Fame. I don't see the problem.

Where do you watch the draft? And with whom?:

In the same place where I'm typing this _ the media room at Rams Park. There's a lot more media around during draft weekend than in the offseason obviously. In 1995, I was at Rams Park in Anaheim for the first "St. Louis" Rams draft because the team had yet to physically move to StL at that point. (So the coaches and GM, etc. were in Cali.) In 2001, I spent a lot of the draft in the draft room upstairs with Armey and Martz. But otherwise, I've been here in the media room.

Trying Quick at tight end:

Yeah, he has turned into a pretty good blocker. But he's a little light for that.

Anyone win the 100K?:

No. I think the closes anyone got was 67%. The Rams gave season tickets to that person as well as two other entrants who tied for second.

I miss Mike Martz:

"Mad" Mike--56-36 as Rams head coach, 61% winning percentage. Rams since Martz's dismissal: 37-90-1, for a 29% winning percentage.

On what was it really like in the war room during draft day:

It was fun. I was just allowed in like 5 minutes before the pick and 5 minutes after the pick. The Rams had three first rounders that year, and used them for Damione Lewis, Adam Archuleta, and Ryan Pickett. The Rams stayed true to their board on the first two picks. The third pick _ Pickett _ who easily turned out to be the best of the three picks, was the most interesting.

There was a fairly lengthy discussion between Armey and Martz over who to take at No. 29 overall. It seemed like Martz wanted DE Aaron Schobel and said that Pickett was the kind of player the Rams were trying to avoid having on their roster (Pickett had a reputation coming out of Ohio State as not necessarily being the hardest worker.) Armey said Schobel had pretty much reached his ceiling and that Pickett had a lot of upside. Martz was persuaded, the Rams took Pickett who is still in the league. Or at least still was in 2013. Schobel was taken midway through the 2nd round by Buffalo.

Who has the most influence on player selection for the Rams?:

I don't know if I can pick out anyone specifically among the scouts. But Rich Snead (no relation to Les) has worked with Fisher for many years in Tennessee and certainly has Fisher's ear. Rich Snead has the title of senior player personnel analyst. During Fisher's year out of football, they frequently watched taped together in Nashville.