JT on Twitter...Verner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interest isn't a surprise. A deal would be, IMO.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
^ agreed

I'd hope they are at least looking at some of the other FA CBs and aren't strictly looking at the guy they have a history with.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
To me, Verner is the most logical FA move if Saffold signs elsewhere. He is a young, exceptional player with a clear connection to Williams and he fits a big area of need. Of course we are interested! Fingers crossed on this one.

RamBill

Legend
Report: Multiple teams showing interest in Alterraun Verner
Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 8, 2014, 6:05 PM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-teams-showing-interest-in-alterraun-verner/

One of PFT’s top-rated free agent cornerbacks is reportedly drawing interest from multiple teams as the negotiating period begins.

According to Jim Wyatt of the Nashville Tennessean, the Jets, Vikings and Rams are teams “in the mix” for Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner, who is No. 10 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100.

The 25-year-old Verner intercepted a career-high five passes for Tennessee in 2013. He has never missed a regular season game in four NFL campaigns.

The Rams’ reported interest in Verner might not be a major surprise, what with former Titans head coach Jeff Fisher now holding the same job in St. Louis.

Contracts with free agents cannot be offered or signed until Tuesday, the start of the new league year. However, teams are able to talk with players in the interim.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
To me, Verner is the most logical FA move if Saffold signs elsewhere. He is a young, exceptional player with a clear connection to Williams and he fits a big area of need. Of course we are interested! Fingers crossed on this one.
Me too... I like Verner and his play and if we could get his mimicked play from the time he was with the Titans I'd love to add him to Tru and JJ.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm a little tentative on Verner, but he would look good in a Rams uniform.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I'm a little tentative on Verner, but he would look good in a Rams uniform.

^
Agreed. He would look good in our gear but I just wonder if he would be worth the dollars when we can get a top line CB in the draft at a fraction of the cost. I know we could use some experience back there now that Finnegan is gone but at some point we need the 2 yr vets to step up.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
^
Agreed. He would look good in our gear but I just wonder if he would be worth the dollars when we can get a top line CB in the draft at a fraction of the cost. I know we could use some experience back there now that Finnegan is gone but at some point we need the 2 yr vets to step up.

I agree the draft is cheaper. But would that CB be ready to start game one and using that pick on a CB we wouldn't be able to fill another hole.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I agree the draft is cheaper. But would that CB be ready to start game one and using that pick on a CB we wouldn't be able to fill another hole.
In theory, if we don't sign a CB but do draft one...I'd be of the assumption he'd be the 3rd corner. So while he'd see significant snaps, he really wouldn't be a "starter".

Which is why I'd ideally like to see the Rams both sign a CB and draft one.

Alan

Legend
Ramrocket thinking guarantees:
Agreed. He would look good in our gear but I just wonder if he would be worth the dollars when we can get a top line CB in the draft at a fraction of the cost.
We can get a good prospect cheap in the draft. Not even remotely the same thing in my mind. On the other hand, the draft and not FA is the way to build your team. Depends on the cost to me. With the reported huge upcoming increases to the CAP now is the time to lock in a great CB before the price skyrockets. On the other hand, the local reporters think we won't be making much of a splash in FA due to CAP issues. :confused:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
In theory, if we don't sign a CB but do draft one...I'd be of the assumption he'd be the 3rd corner. So while he'd see significant snaps, he really wouldn't be a "starter".

If we take a CB in the first he will be a starter 1st game or very soon. If he's not then it's a bad pick. A nickel cb will get maybe 65% of the snaps. And Rams pop 40 mil. + on Verner he's starting.

Alan

Legend
Sum1BTRthnU assuming things:

I don't know if I'd assume that Sum. With the way JJ and Tru played last year, I think anybody we get would have a chance to knock one of them down to the #3 corner.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't know if I'd assume that Sum. With the way JJ and Tru played last year, I think anybody we get would have a chance to knock one of them down to the #3 corner.
Well, you might not..but I am. I don't think they are looking for replacements for Jenkins and Johnson, they are looking for a 3rd guy to put with them.

I for one believe that the passing statistics against our secondary was much more about the lack of playing press coverage than it was the corners.

Alan

Legend
Sum1BTRthnU with this:
Well, you might not..but I am. I don't think they are looking for replacements for Jenkins and Johnson, they are looking for a 3rd guy to put with them.

I for one believe that the passing statistics against our secondary was much more about the lack of playing press coverage than it was the corners.
I don't think they're looking to replace either of them. I think they're looking for a third CB period. Let the chips fall where they may.

I'm with you on the bolded part for sure. If we get a real FS this year it will be interesting to see how our CBs perform.