Jrry32's First Mock Off-Season - New Year's Eve Edition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate that I'm doing one of these before the season is over, but I want to start looking toward better days, as we have had a painful season. I'm still in the preliminary stages of my evaluation, so the draft is mostly shots in the dark at this stage. As always, I do these mocks from a combination of what I think the Rams should do and what I expect the Rams will do. Basically, I pick players I like, but I try to limit that to players who fit our schemes and our coaches' preferences.
Restructure
CB Jalen Ramsey
WR Cooper Kupp
DL Aaron Donald

I expect us to continue kicking the can down the road while our window is open. This will allow us to re-sign some guys and make some FA moves.

Re-sign
QB Baker Mayfield
DL A'Shawn Robinson
CB Troy Hill
P Riley Dixon
K Matt Gay
All ERFAs
DL Marquise Copeland
OL Ty Nsekhe
RS Brandon Powell
LS Matt Orzech

I hope Baker will stick around and be Stafford's backup. He could do a lot of learning from McVay and Stafford. And we need more stability behind Matt. I think A'Shawn will be easier and cheaper to retain than Gaines, so Greg unfortunately leaves in FA. I also think Hill shouldn't be too expensive, and he's a solid veteran at CB with the versatility to play the slot and outside. The special teamers are easy re-signs, and Copeland shouldn't be expensive to bring back as depth.

Free Agency
XBTDW74ZWZFT7I7543C7WCGNCA.jpg

S John Johnson III

John isn't living up to the contact in Cleveland and reportedly isn't too happy about his role in the defense. There's a solid chance that the Browns will cut him. If they do, a reunion makes perfect sense. With Nick Scott and Rapp leaving, we have a hole at safety. JJIII fits in this defense and knows the team well. Since he's a cap casualty, he doesn't count against us in the comp pick formula.

x9aaolonit9fnqtpniih.jpg

EDGE Charles Harris

Former first round pick Charles Harris had a breakout year for the Lions in 2021. The Lions re-signed him on a relatively short-term deal to see if he could do it again. Instead, Harris has spent most of the year dealing with injuries. With Romeo Okwara returning finally and Aidan Hutchinson (in addition to other young guys in the rotation), I think there's a good chance the Lions cut Harris this offseason. If they do, he's worth a shot. He should be cheap, he won't count against us in the comp pick formula, and he showed he can perform well when healthy last year.

Trades
Rams trade Round 6 Pick #15 and 2024 Round 5 Pick
Commodes trade HB Antonio Gibson

While I think there's a good chance we'll go after Tony Pollard if he hits FA, I am going to include an Antonio Gibson trade in this mock. Cam Akers starting to get his groove back is good news for us, but we need a HB to pair with him. After rushing for 1000+ yards last year, the Commodes relegated Gibson to a #2 role behind Brian Robinson. I think a big part of it was Gibson's fumbling problem last year. That problem hasn't reoccurred this year. Regardless, he's heading into the final year of his rookie year, so I bet Washington is willing to deal him. Why Gibson? He's 6'2" 220, ran a 4.39 40 at the Combine, is dangerous in space, and played WR in college. This kid has massive upside in the right system.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyn138nvhkQ

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #6
Panthers trade Round 2 Pick #11 and Round 4 Pick #26

The Panthers move up a few slots for a player that unexpected fell out of the first round. Rams are willing to move back to regain a fourth because they're confident they can still land their guy.

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #11 and Round 7 Pick #12
Jets trade Round 2 Pick #14 and Round 5 Pick #18

Rams again feel their guy will be there if they trade down, so they make a move with the Jets to drop a few spots.

Rams trade Round 4 Pick #26 and Round 5 Pick #34
Jaguars trade Round 4 Pick #20 and Round 6 Pick #32

Rams trade up for a player.

Rams trade Round 5 Pick #18 and Round 5 Pick #37
Ravens trade Round 4 Pick #25

We move up again for a player we're targeting in the fourth.

Rams trade Round 6 Pick #6 and Round 6 Pick #32
Packers trade Round 5 Pick #13

Another Rams trade up for a player we want.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #14 - B.J. Ojulari EDGE LSU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvrRbZ35xCU

Analysis: It was clear all year long that we lacked a presence on the edge across from Floyd. I expect the Rams to target an edge rusher here. There will be some great talents available. I chose Ojulari because he offers exactly what we lacked this year. He's a finesse rusher who wins with an explosive get-off and the flexibility to turn the corner and dip under the OT's punch. However, while Ojulari is a finesse rusher, he's not a one-trick pony. He's a twitchy athlete who can win with an inside move if the OT starts to cheat outside. He also is savvy with his footwork, throwing in stutters and changing speeds to keep OTs off balance. While Ojulari's sack production wasn't off the charts, he posted a better pass rush win rate than Will Anderson this year. Why isn't he going in Round 1? Aside from this being a deep and talented edge class, Ojulari hasn't shown a consistent power game to this point in his career, he's a little undersized at 6'3" 245, and he has weaknesses against the run. While Ojulari plays with a phenomenal motor and has the explosiveness to affect plays as a backside run defender, he lacks the ability to disengage with blockers and stonewall large OTs as a frontside run defender. He is physical and plays hard, so he's not a total liability, but he's definitely a guy you can run at successfully. B.J.'s brother Azeez was a second round pick of the Giants' a couple years ago. Azeez put up 8 sacks as a rookie. IMO, B.J. is a better prospect and player. I think he has the potential to be a consistent double-digit sack guy.

Round 3 Pick #7 - Cody Mauch OL North Dakota State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Nl898LzP4

Analysis: Mauch is a phenomenal athlete who fits extremely well in our scheme. At 6'6" 303, he's not a physically overpowering blocker. Like the guys McVay has tended towards, he's an athletic OL who uses angles well. This is a kid who is explosive off the ball, has elite lateral agility for his size, and top-notch body control. It makes him a devastating blocker in space and on the second level. He's very savvy, which makes him excellent at working off of double team blocks and securing lanes for runners. Mauch has played basically his entire career at LT (outside of a couple games he started at RT early in his career). While he has the athleticism to play OT in the NFL, I think his arm length will result in him kicking inside (but he could play OT if needed due to injuries). He has the potential to be a devastating OG in a ZBS. If he can get stronger in the NFL, he has All Pro potential. But even if he doesn't, he should be a quality starter. His movement skills are just special. He's also a technically polished blocker with smarts, a mean streak, and a nonstop motor. The one weak point I noted in pass protection is that he tends to shoot his hands too wide and expose his chest. He has no business falling this far, but between his short arms, being an older prospect (turns 24 next month), and being from a small school, I think he's a guy we could steal in the third round.

Round 4 Pick #20 - Sam LaPorta TE Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUKz2uyctzs

Analysis: LaPorta has been highly productive at Iowa, yet he still flies under the radar. I think he's going to fall far further than he should in the Draft because he's neither a dominating blocker nor an elite athlete who is a mismatch in the passing game. But don't get it twisted, LaPorta is a solid blocker and a savvy, reliable receiver. As a receiving TE, LaPorta is a savvy route runner with good burst off the LOS and the speed to create separation on crossing routes. He's a competitive and physical runner with the ball in his hands, making him effective after the catch. And he possesses reliable mitts, although he isn't a dominant contested catch receiver. He's the sort of guy who consistently find himself open in the short and intermediate ranges. As a blocker, LaPorta is savvy, polished, and physical. He competes hard. What he lacks is ideal size (6'4" 249) and strength. That makes it tougher for him to sustain blocks against DLs and larger EDGEs on his own. But he's certainly not a liability as an inline blocker, and he's very willing to throw his body around as a lead blocker or puller. I think LaPorta is going to have a good career in the NFL and is a great fit for our offense.

Round 4 Pick #25 - Kobie Turner DL Wake Forest

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSrStnF-4Y

Analysis: Turner is still developing as a DL, but he blew me away with his tools. He was a FCS All American before transferring to Wake Forest before this season. He emerged as a locker room leader and a top player on that Wake DL. His production won't blow you away (38 tackles, 10 TFLs, 2 sacks, and 2 FFs), but his film really impressed me. He lined up everywhere on that DL, from 0-Tech (NT) to 5-Tech (DE). As a run defender, Turner is very hard to move due to his impressive strength and body control. He has even shown the ability to split double teams. When he plays with good pad level, Turner is an impact run defender. He does need to get better at finding the ball and understanding blocking schemes, but with him being a FCS player for most of his career, I don't hold that against him. As a pass rusher, he's explosive off the ball, has the agility and short-area quickness to beat OGs with finesse moves, and he has the power and heavy hands to bull rush OLs. He's very raw as a pass rusher, though. Right now, he doesn't have developed pass rush plans or pass rush moves. He's active with his hands, but he doesn't really know how to use them to max effect at this point. I think this is a kid Eric Henderson could really work wonders with. He has so much raw talent.

Round 5 Pick #13 - Kei'Trel Clark CB Louisville

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzeP_v44INk

Analysis: Clark will likely drop far further than he should because he won't meet the height and weight requirements of a lot of teams. At 5'10" 180, he's undersized. And it shows from time to time. But Clark has great athleticism and is very sticky in coverage. He also has outstanding ballskills. He's a competitive, in-your-face type of CB (a bit like Ramsey in that he chirps a lot). But the guy can play. He has the versatility to play both in the slot and outside. He's a willing tackler, although his tackling technique could improve. His lack of size does hurt him in that respect, as he'll bounce off some guys or get dragged from yardage. He also doesn't get off blocks from physical WRs easily. He also needs to be careful squatting on short routes, as he's late out of his backpedal at times in a way that will get him beat in the NFL. But at the end of the day, this is a dude who can cover and make plays on the football. We've done well with those types. He reminds me a lot of Darious Williams.

Round 6 Pick #12 - Roschon Johnson HB Texas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kka8C8tZhMk

Analysis: Roschon gets overlooked because he is stuck behind a monster in Bijan Robinson, but Roschon is a talented HB himself. Originally recruited to Texas as a QB, Roschon moved to HB as a freshman due to injuries at the position. At 6'2" 225, he's not a small HB and runs hard with good contact balance. Roschon also has impressive burst and quick feet. He's a very physical blocker in both pass protection and the running game and was reportedly a leader in the locker room at Texas. This is the sort of kid who puts the team first and will do the dirty work. I think he should contribute on special teams early on. As a runner, he has a lot of upside due to his physical attributes. I think there will be an adjustment period, as he's still fairly new to the HB position and will need to get used to our scheme. He also showed a good amount of potential as a receiver while at Texas. I see him as a guy who might take a year or two to develop, but during that time, he's capable of contributing on special teams and has the potential to be a dangerous piece in the HB rotation down the line.

Round 6 Pick #35 - Rashad Torrence S Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fszuBeG0N0g

Analysis: Torrence is a solid player who should fit well in the scheme we run. He won't be a fit everywhere, which will hurt him in the Draft, as I don't think he has the quickness and fluidity to play a lot of man coverage in the NFL. Torrence is at his best in a split-safety defense, although he can play the center-fielder role effectively and in the box. Torrence is a hard hitter who brings the boom, but he will sometimes choose the big hit over making a technically sound tackle, which can backfire on him. As a pass defender, he has good ball skills and is capable of picking passes off if a QB doesn't respect him. He's also a guy who will bring the boom on special teams.

Round 7 Pick #36 - Ventrell Miller ILB Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxwEFUWM6xo

Analysis: I think Ventrell is the type of LB who will fall in the Draft. He's undersized (6'0" 221) and has some major limitations in pass coverage. But he was the heart and soul of the Florida defense this year. Every time he was out, the defense fell to complete shambles. I think Miller will be a very good special teamer in the NFL. He has great instincts, a nose for the ball, hits like a truck, and has good speed. As a LB, he defends the run well, can play sideline to sideline, and is serviceable in zone coverage. He's a liability in man coverage, as he lacks the quickness to keep up with HBs and athletic TEs.

Projected Starters
QB: Matthew Stafford
HB: Antonio Gibson
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Allen Robinson
WR: Van Jefferson
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Joe Noteboom
LG: Coleman Shelton
C: Brian Allen
RG: Alaric Jackson
RT: Rob Havenstein

DE: Michael Hoecht
NT: A'Shawn Robinson
DE: Aaron Donald
OLB: Leonard Floyd
ILB: Bobby Wagner
ILB: Ernest Jones
OLB: Charles Harris
CB: Jalen Ramsey
CB: Troy Hill
CB: Cobie Durant
S: John Johnson III
S: Jordan Fuller

K: Matt Gay
P: Riley Dixon
LS: Matt Orzech
RS: Brandon Powell

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love it! Couple players I've looked at in here along with some new names.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Highly doubt that Mauch makes it to the third round (I don't even think he'll make it to our original second round pick.). I'm hearing Cole Strange vibes with him, and Strange was an older prospect as well, so I don't think age matters if the talent is there. I'd seriously love it if he made it there, though. I'm not in love with the Antonio Gibson trade (for reasons you and I have discussed in another thread), but I can understand it. Love the Ojulari pick, but I doubt he makes it out of the first round. Still, I can see it happening, and I'd love it if it happened.

I can't say enough good things about the JJ3 potential signing, but I don't think it happens because McSnead just don't value safeties the way some do. Still, that's my favorite part of your offseason - draft aside. Charles Harris is also a solid signing (although being a former Mizzou player helps with that). I get that Gaines will be harder to retain than A'Shawn, but I feel that Grizzly Gaines just does so much on a football field that you make room to retain him, even if it means cutting/trading fan favorites.

Love the Roschon Johnson and Kei'Trel Clark picks. I'm lukewarm on the Kobie Turner pick, but only because I feel that the defensive line is already stacked with solid players; I like the player. LaPorta, I don't really care for, because he doesn't really have a special trait (like Tucker Kraft's blocking, Washington's height, or Musgrave's sheer receiving ability) that would make me want to spend a mid-round pick on him. Even Higbee, Everett, and Hopkins had special qualities in their drafts.

As always, though, I love how much work clearly goes into this.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What's not to like here everything is covered although I would like to add a Center if Shelton is starting and you're keeping Brian Allen.

RB with Gibson would be a major upgrade like the signing of Harris in free agency I like LaPorta, you wanted the Rams to draft Kittle so maybe this time they will heed your advice.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Jrry32:

Wow! That’s a lotta work.
Supposing you (the Rams) can work their financial magic and get all of those FAs under the cap, AND you pull off those trades, I like your draft.

Landing your first two picks would be great, even if the Rams couldn’t pull off ALL of the other stuff. Depending on the other pre-draft deals, both could start day one if necessary.

Torrence in the 6th would be a great get too. Worst case scenario is he is a head hunter on STs, which is where he would probably start his career.

Johnson seems to be a popular late round pick to add to the RB corps, but the important thing is to get somebody to augment the other two backs who have serious injury concerns. Getting one, as you did, is a smart move.

Depth on the DL, a CB, and an early pick on a TE… nobody could say you didn’t try.

Great work and thanks for putting in the time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Highly doubt that Mauch makes it to the third round (I don't even think he'll make it to our original second round pick.). I'm hearing Cole Strange vibes with him, and Strange was an older prospect as well, so I don't think age matters if the talent is there. I'd seriously love it if he made it there, though.
I think there's a solid chance he makes it. Unless teams view him as a potential LT, being older, from a small school, and an interior OL will push him down the board. But if he's not available, there will be a good OL option available somewhere in the third. The Patriots drafted Cole Strange. And they're a team that just makes weird decisions lol.
I'm not in love with the Antonio Gibson trade (for reasons you and I have discussed in another thread), but I can understand it. Love the Ojulari pick, but I doubt he makes it out of the first round. Still, I can see it happening, and I'd love it if it happened.
I viewed a handful of two-round mocks, and most of them had Ojulari available. It's a deep EDGE class. If he's not available, there will be a good player at that position to replace him with. But I'd love to have Ojulari. We need that sort of skillset on the edge.
I can't say enough good things about the JJ3 potential signing, but I don't think it happens because McSnead just don't value safeties the way some do. Still, that's my favorite part of your offseason - draft aside. Charles Harris is also a solid signing (although being a former Mizzou player helps with that). I get that Gaines will be harder to retain than A'Shawn, but I feel that Grizzly Gaines just does so much on a football field that you make room to retain him, even if it means cutting/trading fan favorites.
I don't think JJ will be too expensive after not playing overly well in Cleveland, and I think with us being able to avoid paying a comp pick to get back a defensive leader, it makes a lot of sense. Win-win for both sides.

As for A'Shawn, I think it'll be much cheaper to keep him. I don't see us being able to afford Gaines. Plus, we'll want the comp pick (4th or 5th round). A'Shawn is such a dominant run defender that I also think it's easier to replace Gaines with multiple defenders than it is to replace A'Shawn.
Love the Roschon Johnson and Kei'Trel Clark picks. I'm lukewarm on the Kobie Turner pick, but only because I feel that the defensive line is already stacked with solid players; I like the player. LaPorta, I don't really care for, because he doesn't really have a special trait (like Tucker Kraft's blocking, Washington's height, or Musgrave's sheer receiving ability) that would make me want to spend a mid-round pick on him. Even Higbee, Everett, and Hopkins had special qualities in their drafts.
We have to plan for life after Donald. We have some solid depth guys, but Turner is a guy who has the potential to be an impact player on the interior. As for LaPorta, I think of him like Dalton Schultz. Doesn't have a single trait that blows you away, but he just constantly finds himself open. The guys you named are all going in the first 70 picks imo. We've gotta set our sights lower in the 4th round.
As always, though, I love how much work clearly goes into this.
I appreciate the feedback, Jemma!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Jrry32:

Wow! That’s a lotta work.
Supposing you (the Rams) can work their financial magic and get all of those FAs under the cap, AND you pull off those trades, I like your draft.

Landing your first two picks would be great, even if the Rams couldn’t pull off ALL of the other stuff. Depending on the other pre-draft deals, both could start day one if necessary.

Torrence in the 6th would be a great get too. Worst case scenario is he is a head hunter on STs, which is where he would probably start his career.

Johnson seems to be a popular late round pick to add to the RB corps, but the important thing is to get somebody to augment the other two backs who have serious injury concerns. Getting one, as you did, is a smart move.

Depth on the DL, a CB, and an early pick on a TE… nobody could say you didn’t try.

Great work and thanks for putting in the time.

My own mock from a couple of months ago has Rashad Torrence going in the 3'rd round, I'll be shocked if he drops to the 6'th.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My own mock from a couple of months ago has Rashad Torrence going in the 3'rd round, I'll be shocked if he drops to the 6'th.
He may go earlier than the 6th, but I definitely don't have him rated as highly as you do.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I hate that I'm doing one of these before the season is over, but I want to start looking toward better days, as we have had a painful season. I'm still in the preliminary stages of my evaluation, so the draft is mostly shots in the dark at this stage. As always, I do these mocks from a combination of what I think the Rams should do and what I expect the Rams will do. Basically, I pick players I like, but I try to limit that to players who fit our schemes and our coaches' preferences.
Restructure
CB Jalen Ramsey
WR Cooper Kupp
DL Aaron Donald

I expect us to continue kicking the can down the road while our window is open. This will allow us to re-sign some guys and make some FA moves.

Re-sign
QB Baker Mayfield
DL A'Shawn Robinson
CB Troy Hill
P Riley Dixon
K Matt Gay
All ERFAs
DL Marquise Copeland
OL Ty Nsekhe
RS Brandon Powell
LS Matt Orzech

I appreciate the work you put into this. I like many of the players you drafted. I really like Antonio Gibson via trade. There's something about those Memphis skill players that all played together at about the same time... (Henderson, Pollard, Gibson).
It is interesting that a few people, including myself, believe the highest draft priority should be Edge, OL, and TE.

Regarding TE, I was following LaPorta last season, thinking he was going to declare for the Draft. But, since the Iowa offense was putrid this season, I started looking at other prospects. I will my my favorite in my upcoming Mock.

Here is a question that I have been mulling over for some time while looking at Edge prospects. How much draft stock do you put into an Outside pass rusher when the opponents go to a quick, short passing game? The only answer I can come up with is you do it with the premise that your HC is an offensive Guru and you will be playing with a lead most of the time.

I like your defensive picks from your Favorite team.... I had watched some game tape of Miller and liked his play. But, I am in the dark about the Safety. I will have to watch some tape of him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I appreciate the work you put into this. I like many of the players you drafted. I really like Antonio Gibson via trade. There's something about those Memphis skill players that all played together at about the same time... (Henderson, Pollard, Gibson).
It is interesting that a few people, including myself, believe the highest draft priority should be Edge, OL, and TE.

Regarding TE, I was following LaPorta last season, thinking he was going to declare for the Draft. But, since the Iowa offense was putrid this season, I started looking at other prospects. I will my my favorite in my upcoming Mock.

Here is a question that I have been mulling over for some time while looking at Edge prospects. How much draft stock do you put into an Outside pass rusher when the opponents go to a quick, short passing game? The only answer I can come up with is you do it with the premise that your HC is an offensive Guru and you will be playing with a lead most of the time.

I like your defensive picks from your Favorite team.... I had watched some game tape of Miller and liked his play. But, I am in the dark about the Safety. I will have to watch some tape of him.
I think if you trust your pass rush's ability to win without help, you see the defense start to be more aggressive on the back end. We have some CBs who love squatting (particularly Kendrick) who would do quite well if we had a pass rush that prevented the other team's QB from holding the ball.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I like it. I wish there was a OC and picked (& sooner than later). But this seems to be something more along the lines of what the Rams & Snead would do. Switching mauch for a OC would make me very happy.

I’m personally not on the train that has us spending cap space on a FA RB. But that’s a person wish. I think better to get a young guy in the draft. They are plentiful and cheap. But maybe with so many RBs in FA, the prices will be low

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always like your work, cant say much about the prospects.
One thing I'll say is that I wouldnt be surprised if the Cowboys cut Zeke, basically break even on cap hit, and put the efforts toward signing Pollard, heck could even franchise him for 10 mill

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Appreciate the work you put in on this @jrry32

Would love to see JJ come back. First time I've heard that it's a possibility. Makes sense, Cleveland and all.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Love this offseason. Big fan of Ojulari & Johnson. Will have to do more research on the rest of the drafted guys. Would welcome JJ back with open arms. Would love to get get Gibson too, McVay would love to have a guy with tools like that. A Akers/Gibson combo would be amazing. Great work!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If there is any way to get JJ3 back I’m all for it. They never should have let him go. It wasn’t worth the comp pick. He’s easily one of Snead’s best picks, is a very intelligent player (McVay looks for intelligence in players), and a leader.

I consider Gaines a must sign, but I get that it may not be possible. The two Brown boys could more easily replace A’Shawn than Greg.

As for the draft and trades, it’s too early for me.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I wonder what Tony Pollard’s broken leg will do to his off-season and if it will make him more or less available… (sometimes when a guy’s price drops due to injury, more folks become interested)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As you know @jrry32 I don't put in any time on draft prospects. The question I have is how much more value Gaines has over Ashon in FA.

I love Gaines but he played most of the season hurt and Ashon of course was out for the latter part of the season. So... Do other teams value Gaines that highly? Not sure.

The chemistry between AD and Gaines is enough reason IMO to pay a bit more to keep him.

I like Ashon but it seems Gaines has been receiving that AD influence more. Dunno.