Jrry32 Second to Last Mock - Trades! Trades! Trades!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll release my final mock with no trades this weekend or early next week, it'll have very in depth analysis for each pick including a full break down of the player.

I decided in this mock, I'd have a little fun and throw out some trade scenarios for you. I'm fairly sure people are going to hate one of them because fans generally don't like the type of trade but I'll explain why.

Trade #1
Rams trade - #16 and their 3rd
Chargers trade - #11
Explanation: I don't think Austin will end up going top 10 due to his size. However, I think the Dolphins and Bucs are major threats to take him as well as a couple of teams that could trade up. The Chargers will be willing to trade down because Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel are off the board. They trade down for a pass rusher like Tank Carradine or an interior OL like Jon Cooper or Chance Warmack. I know fans hate giving up picks to trade up and I USUALLY hate it too. My philosophy is to stand pat or trade down. However, in every rare cases, when the compensation is reasonable and I think a player is special. I will trade up for him. Tavon Austin is special. He's a game-breaker and a major impact player that will change the game on special teams and offense. This is a kid that can outrun angles and make players look flat-out stupid in the open-field. He's going to be a major headache for NFL DCs for the next decade.

Trade #2
Rams trade - #22
Jets trade - #39 and their 3rd
Explanation: Rumor is that the Jets like Ryan Nassib a lot. I think Buffalo and Arizona are both threats to take him and either could trade up. The Jets want their guy and want to make sure they get in front of Minnesota who Buffalo is likely trying to trade up with. The Rams recoup the 3rd that we lost and don't move down so far that we miss out on top talent...remember we got Janoris Jenkins at #39 last year...I have us getting another extremely talented player at #39 that's dropping due to character concerns in this mock.

Trade #3
Rams trade - 4th
49ers trade - 4th and 5th(Indy)
Explanation: SF has a lot of picks to burn. They decide to move up into the mid 4th for a player. We're willing to drop back into the tail end of the 4th because we are compensated well.

Without further ado, the mock...(I put it in youtube form)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQlRnhm4kw[/youtube]
Round 1 Pick #11 - Tavon Austin WR West Virginia
Round 2 Pick #8 - Alec Ogletree OLB Georgia
Round 2 Pick #16 - Larry Warford OG Kentucky
Round 3 Pick #10 - Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB/FS Connecticut
Round 4 Pick #31 - Jordan Mills RT Louisiana Tech
Round 5 Pick #16 - Duke Williams CB/FS/SS Nevada
Round 5 Pick #24 - William Gholston DE/DT Michigan State
Round 6 Pick #16 - Latavius Murray HB UCF
Round 7 Pick #16 - Marquess Wilson WR Washington State
Brief Explanation: I wanted to say that I think Ogletree falls to the early 2nd due to character concerns but I could be wrong. If I am, Arthur Brown is a great pick there. I think Warford falls to the mid 2nd because Guards always seem to fall further than expected. Some might question the Blidi Wreh-Wilson pick because he played CB but UConn rotated him between CB and S depending on the defensive package this year, Blidi has a lot of experience in zone coverage, tracks the ball well and is a big CB that is not afraid of getting physical...I've seen him attack OLs and FBs at the LOS...you don't see that often in a CB. He's not afraid of contact although he'll need to work on his tackling in space. I'll be happy to give further analysis on any other pick there are questions about.

What do you guys think? Try not to be too harsh. :cheese:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I poo pooed it as soon as we traded with the whiners. Yuck. :sick:

But seriously, not a bad mock. I don't think I'd trade up for Austin, I like him but I just don't think he's a player worth trading up for. If I'm going to trade up it's for a tackle (Lane Johnson likely), and then Saffold is likely part of the deal. I also may try Kyle Long as the first pick in the second and Brown at 48.... But I'm a big Kyle Long fan.

iced

As someone who lives in the Tampa area, not worried about the Bucs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know, man. Trading UP for Austin? I'm not a fan of that scenario, but I'm also not the head coach or GM. I don't think the Bucs are in need of Austin in as much as they desperately need to upgrade their defense. The Dolphins also just loaded up on receivers (quantity), and they have Davone Bess still - who is (I think) every bit as good as Austin right now.

I can get on board with Ogletree and Warford though.

duckhunter

Starter
The Rams are capable of surprising us with anything. I'd let the draft come to us and take BPA.

As far as the second trade, the Jets would have to sweeten it some with a 4 or 5 I think and since it's a QB who knows what you can skin em for.

I like them UConn players. I try to watch one or two of their games a year now because they produce some good players whereas in the past no way. Wreh-Wilson is an interesting pick and his style of play will endear Fish.

As I said before, I'm open to anything because the Rams could do anything. Snisher are swashbucklers so it will be interesting and probably unpredictable to say the least.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not enough guys on O that handle the ball for my tastes. We need guys who can get into the end zone.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I..wouldn't like it. If the OLB isn't Jarvis Jones I don't want any part of a 4-3 OLB early. Their importance is decreasing.

This isn't the draft to trade up. I was wanting to trade up for AJ Green. Was applauding Atlanta for trading up to get Julio (the Rams would've have to give up less).

Tavon Austin...really good, but not one I'd trade up for.

Larry Warford I could live with if they got some skill positions early.

Playmaker

The Dude said:
I don't know, man. Trading UP for Austin? I'm not a fan of that scenario.

Trading up and giving up draft picks for a guy that isn't an every down player and is a midget WR that will likely spend 3 or 4 games a year on the sideline due to injuries? Who came up with this scenario? Jay Zygmunt? John Shaw? SpagsVaney?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Playmaker said:
The Dude said:

Trading up and giving up draft picks for a guy that isn't an every down player and is a midget WR that will likely spend 3 or 4 games a year on the sideline due to injuries? Who came up with this scenario? Jay Zygmunt? John Shaw? SpagsVaney?
Relax.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Interesting with the trades and all but I too am not a fan of trading up in this draft. I think our Rams are close but I don't think they can afford to trade up and then be picking much later in the draft. I am all for trading down in the 1st to pick up additional 2nd round picks. I like some of your picks though. I'd be willing to pick Austin at 22 if he's there, definitely would jump on Olgetree in the 2nd, and Larry Warford would be a bargain where you have him. And I agree about UCONN players as of late. They seem to be churning out some pretty prime NFL stock.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Playmaker said:
The Dude said:

Nope, that would be myself. I mean according to you, he's being considered in the top 5. It must be a coup to get him at #11.

nittany ram

Rookie
jrry32 said:
I'll release my final mock with no trades this weekend or early next week, it'll have very in depth analysis for each pick including a full break down of the player.

I decided in this mock, I'd have a little fun and throw out some trade scenarios for you. I'm fairly sure people are going to hate one of them because fans generally don't like the type of trade but I'll explain why.

Trade #1
Rams trade - #16 and their 3rd
Chargers trade - #11
Explanation: I don't think Austin will end up going top 10 due to his size. However, I think the Dolphins and Bucs are major threats to take him as well as a couple of teams that could trade up. The Chargers will be willing to trade down because Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel are off the board. They trade down for a pass rusher like Tank Carradine or an interior OL like Jon Cooper or Chance Warmack. I know fans hate giving up picks to trade up and I USUALLY hate it too. My philosophy is to stand pat or trade down. However, in every rare cases, when the compensation is reasonable and I think a player is special. I will trade up for him. Tavon Austin is special. He's a game-breaker and a major impact player that will change the game on special teams and offense. This is a kid that can outrun angles and make players look flat-out stupid in the open-field. He's going to be a major headache for NFL DCs for the next decade.

Trade #2
Rams trade - #22
Jets trade - #39 and their 3rd
Explanation: Rumor is that the Jets like Ryan Nassib a lot. I think Buffalo and Arizona are both threats to take him and either could trade up. The Jets want their guy and want to make sure they get in front of Minnesota who Buffalo is likely trying to trade up with. The Rams recoup the 3rd that we lost and don't move down so far that we miss out on top talent...remember we got Janoris Jenkins at #39 last year...I have us getting another extremely talented player at #39 that's dropping due to character concerns in this mock.

Trade #3
Rams trade - 4th
49ers trade - 4th and 5th(Indy)
Explanation: SF has a lot of picks to burn. They decide to move up into the mid 4th for a player. We're willing to drop back into the tail end of the 4th because we are compensated well.

Without further ado, the mock...(I put it in youtube form)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQlRnhm4kw[/youtube]
Round 1 Pick #11 - Tavon Austin WR West Virginia
Round 2 Pick #8 - Alec Ogletree OLB Georgia
Round 2 Pick #16 - Larry Warford OG Kentucky
Round 3 Pick #10 - Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB/FS Connecticut
Round 4 Pick #31 - Jordan Mills RT Louisiana Tech
Round 5 Pick #16 - Duke Williams CB/FS/SS Nevada
Round 5 Pick #24 - William Gholston DE/DT Michigan State
Round 6 Pick #16 - Latavius Murray HB UCF
Round 7 Pick #16 - Marquess Wilson WR Washington State
Brief Explanation: I wanted to say that I think Ogletree falls to the early 2nd due to character concerns but I could be wrong. If I am, Arthur Brown is a great pick there. I think Warford falls to the mid 2nd because Guards always seem to fall further than expected. Some might question the Blidi Wreh-Wilson pick because he played CB but UConn rotated him between CB and S depending on the defensive package this year, Blidi has a lot of experience in zone coverage, tracks the ball well and is a big CB that is not afraid of getting physical...I've seen him attack OLs and FBs at the LOS...you don't see that often in a CB. He's not afraid of contact although he'll need to work on his tackling in space. I'll be happy to give further analysis on any other pick there are questions about.

What do you guys think? Try not to be too harsh. :cheese:

I like it. I don't care where players are selected. If you value a player enough then you better do what you got to do to get him. So if the Rams really value Austin that much then they better trade up. And how is trading up a bad thing when you get the player you covet PLUS the rest of your list? That's a damn fine draft. I'd take it right now.