Jrry32 Rams Dream Draft - 4/15/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As it stands now, less than a month from the draft, this would be the outcome that I would call just about ideal. If things fall the right way, this is what I'd hope for. I tried to be realistic with it. THIS IS WHAT I, JRRY32, WOULD DO.
Trade
Atlanta trades - #6, 2nd(#37), and 2015 2nd
St. Louis trades - #2

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #6 - Jake Matthews OT/OG Texas A&M

Round 1 Pick #13 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh

Round 2 Pick #5 - LaMarcus Joyner FS/CB Florida State

Round 2 Pick #12 - Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

Round 3 Pick #11 - Jaylen Watkins CB/FS Florida

Round 4 Pick #10 - Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB Boston College

Round 5 Pick #13 - James White HB Wisconsin

Round 6 Pick #12 - Brett Smith QB Wyoming

Round 6 Comp - Brandon Thomas OG/OT Clemson

Round 7 Pick #11 - Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Round 7 Pick #26 - Jeremy Gallon WR Michigan

Round 7 Comp - Ben Gardner DE Stanford

Round 7 Comp - Gator Hoskins TE Marshall

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Jordan Matthews
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Jake Matthews
C: Scott Wells
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Jaylen Watkins
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

I came away with two Matthews and a Watkins. :LOL:

Thoughts?

lockdnram21

Legend
I like it looks similar to my draft but i would rather get dennard at 13 our d line is already stout

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
WTF??? No Fullback?

Sure like Matthews. I think I'm leaning more toward him than Robinson these days. Just really hard to deny his solid technique. He seems to know all the tricks. As you may know now though, I am in the Watkins camp now for the super intangibles I listed in another thread. So if no Watkins, I'm definitely down for some more Jake on the line.

The tape looks pretty impressive on Donald. I'm just not sure how well he'll translate. Sure looks like a beast there though.

I like Jordan Matthews a lot but just a little shell shocked on taking receivers that are kind of second tier. Not sure we need another one over some other positions. I'd probably rather see another hog in this slot of the draft.

And... I think Brett Smith is a little rough - even for a rookie prospect. I also don't see him being able to tuck and run in the pros.

Where do you see Gallon fitting in?

I'm not trying to get too critical of this mock. I don't see anything that would really upset me about it. Just maybe not quite how I'd go. Of course my draft history is well documented in all those mocks I've taken the time to put together.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Jordan Matthews a lot but just a little shell shocked on taking receivers that are kind of second tier. Not sure we need another one over some other positions. I'd probably rather see another hog in this slot of the draft.

Well, since you're big on super intangibles, Jordan Matthews is related to Jerry Rice. ;)

But being serious, the second tier is one of the best places to get value at the WR position. You just gotta know what to look for. I've done well over the last few years at finding guys in this range (since I'm being modest). Sadly, the Rams have largely ignored my "advice" on the second tier WR prospects. Bailey was the first one that they actually took it on. Haha.

On Jordan Matthews, I think he compares to Jordy Nelson of the Packers. And I really feel confident he'll be a good WR in the NFL.

And... I think Brett Smith is a little rough - even for a rookie prospect. I also don't see him being able to tuck and run in the pros.

He needs development but I disagree on the running. He ran a 4.51 40 at his Pro Day. He can move. Ran all over Nebraska in 2013.

Here's the Nebraska game:

Where do you see Gallon fitting in?

Backup slot WR. In the 7th round, I typically am either looking for a high upside developmental player or a guy that can play but is being under-drafted because he doesn't meet one or more of the physical minimums at his position.

Gallon falls in the latter group. Strong, physical little guy that catches everything. I think he compares to Deion Branch. With development, imo, he can be a good slot WR and a guy that contributes to a NFL team.

I'm not trying to get too critical of this mock. I don't see anything that would really upset me about it. Just maybe not quite how I'd go. Of course my draft history is well documented in all those mocks I've taken the time to put together.

I always appreciate the feedback. Hope I explained things well enough.

Last edited:

ausmurp

Starter
Eh I usually like your mocks and am surprised you went this route. I know Donald has a huge upside and is a very good pass rusher, but does he really fit our scheme as a big run stopping DT? I know he made plays to show that he can stop the run in college but he just feels like a pass rusher to me...

I would rather:

Sign Asante Samuel to play slot CB (why haven't the Rams done this yet!!!)

Replace Donald with Mike Evans
Replace Jordan Matthews with Yankey or second best LG
Replace Watkins with Jared Abbrederis

I love the rest. Do you think Abbrederis will be available to us in 4th rd? If so that would make for the best draft I've seen in yrs.

I appreciate when you mock though. Usually you find the gems and if we drafted these guys I would trust your judgement as it has proven over the yrs to be better than Fisher/Snead at times ;)

FRO

Legend
I like it a lot. You got the best OT in the draft. Also the secondary is greatly improved with the guys you got. Aaron Donald is a great prospect. Also Jordan Matthews is way underrated. Great size, speed, and production. I think he is a second round steal. Definitely a first round talent.

I think I would move Barksdale to OG and have Matthews play RT. I think Matthews is too athletic to waste inside. Put him on the edge.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
jrry you must be Aaron Donald's agent, however, if he does end up with the Rams they should give you an award. Like the draft, but they will go guard before Thomas at 6 plus Thomas won't be ready until 2015. I could see the Rams taking two guards if you include Thomas because Matthews with play tackle IMO.

The trade with Atlanta is not only very likely, but the compensation is realistic as well.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Nice Mock! I love me some Brett Smith! he'd be a fine late rd. QB to pick up that will probably be a steal with him being under the radar. You can never go wrong with drafting a guy names ' Gator'! lol

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I think Thomas will slide because of the injury, but do you really think he'll slide till the end of the 6th round? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm actually asking. Even Lattimore, who had a big knee injury (at a position where that can be even more important) went in the 4th.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably not if I'm being honest, Brokeu.