1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jrry32 Rams Dream Draft - 4/15/14

Discussion in 'NFL DRAFT / COLLEGE FOOTBALL' started by jrry32, Apr 15, 2014.

1. jrry32 Well-Known Member

As it stands now, less than a month from the draft, this would be the outcome that I would call just about ideal. If things fall the right way, this is what I'd hope for. I tried to be realistic with it. THIS IS WHAT I, JRRY32, WOULD DO.
    Trade
    Atlanta trades - #6, 2nd(#37), and 2015 2nd
    St. Louis trades - #2

NFL Draft
    Round 1 Pick #6 - Jake Matthews OT/OG Texas A&M

Round 1 Pick #13 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh

Round 2 Pick #5 - LaMarcus Joyner FS/CB Florida State

Round 2 Pick #12 - Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

Round 3 Pick #11 - Jaylen Watkins CB/FS Florida

Round 4 Pick #10 - Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB Boston College

Round 5 Pick #13 - James White HB Wisconsin

Round 6 Pick #12 - Brett Smith QB Wyoming

Round 6 Comp - Brandon Thomas OG/OT Clemson

Round 7 Pick #11 - Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Round 7 Pick #26 - Jeremy Gallon WR Michigan

Round 7 Comp - Ben Gardner DE Stanford

Round 7 Comp - Gator Hoskins TE Marshall

Projected Starters
    QB: Sam Bradford
    HB: Zac Stacy
    FB: Cory Harkey
    XWR: Jordan Matthews
    ZWR: Tavon Austin
    SLWR: Stedman Bailey
    TE: Jared Cook
    LT: Jake Long
    LG: Jake Matthews
    C: Scott Wells
    RG: Rodger Saffold
    RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
    LDT: Kendall Langford
    RDT: Michael Brockers
    RDE: Robert Quinn
    WLB: Alec Ogletree
    MLB: James Laurinaitis
    SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
    RCB: Janoris Jenkins
    LCB: Trumaine Johnson
    SLCB: Jaylen Watkins
    FS: LaMarcus Joyner
    SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
    P: Johnny Hekker

I came away with two Matthews and a Watkins. :LOL:

Thoughts?

The Rammer, jsimcox and den-the-coach like this.
  2. lockdnram21 Well-Known Member

I like it looks similar to my draft but i would rather get dennard at 13 our d line is already stout

3. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

WTF??? No Fullback?

Sure like Matthews. I think I'm leaning more toward him than Robinson these days. Just really hard to deny his solid technique. He seems to know all the tricks. As you may know now though, I am in the Watkins camp now for the super intangibles I listed in another thread. So if no Watkins, I'm definitely down for some more Jake on the line.

The tape looks pretty impressive on Donald. I'm just not sure how well he'll translate. Sure looks like a beast there though.

I like Jordan Matthews a lot but just a little shell shocked on taking receivers that are kind of second tier. Not sure we need another one over some other positions. I'd probably rather see another hog in this slot of the draft.

And... I think Brett Smith is a little rough - even for a rookie prospect. I also don't see him being able to tuck and run in the pros.

Where do you see Gallon fitting in?

I'm not trying to get too critical of this mock. I don't see anything that would really upset me about it. Just maybe not quite how I'd go. Of course my draft history is well documented in all those mocks I've taken the time to put together.

4. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Well, since you're big on super intangibles, Jordan Matthews is related to Jerry Rice. ;)

But being serious, the second tier is one of the best places to get value at the WR position. You just gotta know what to look for. I've done well over the last few years at finding guys in this range (since I'm being modest). Sadly, the Rams have largely ignored my "advice" on the second tier WR prospects. Bailey was the first one that they actually took it on. Haha.

On Jordan Matthews, I think he compares to Jordy Nelson of the Packers. And I really feel confident he'll be a good WR in the NFL.

He needs development but I disagree on the running. He ran a 4.51 40 at his Pro Day. He can move. Ran all over Nebraska in 2013.

Here's the Nebraska game:

Backup slot WR. In the 7th round, I typically am either looking for a high upside developmental player or a guy that can play but is being under-drafted because he doesn't meet one or more of the physical minimums at his position.

Gallon falls in the latter group. Strong, physical little guy that catches everything. I think he compares to Deion Branch. With development, imo, he can be a good slot WR and a guy that contributes to a NFL team.

I always appreciate the feedback. Hope I explained things well enough.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. ausmurp Member

Eh I usually like your mocks and am surprised you went this route. I know Donald has a huge upside and is a very good pass rusher, but does he really fit our scheme as a big run stopping DT? I know he made plays to show that he can stop the run in college but he just feels like a pass rusher to me...

I would rather:

Sign Asante Samuel to play slot CB (why haven't the Rams done this yet!!!)

Replace Donald with Mike Evans
    Replace Jordan Matthews with Yankey or second best LG
    Replace Watkins with Jared Abbrederis

I love the rest. Do you think Abbrederis will be available to us in 4th rd? If so that would make for the best draft I've seen in yrs.

I appreciate when you mock though. Usually you find the gems and if we drafted these guys I would trust your judgement as it has proven over the yrs to be better than Fisher/Snead at times ;)

6. FRO Well-Known Member

I like it a lot. You got the best OT in the draft. Also the secondary is greatly improved with the guys you got. Aaron Donald is a great prospect. Also Jordan Matthews is way underrated. Great size, speed, and production. I think he is a second round steal. Definitely a first round talent.

I think I would move Barksdale to OG and have Matthews play RT. I think Matthews is too athletic to waste inside. Put him on the edge.

7. den-the-coach Well-Known Member

jrry you must be Aaron Donald's agent, however, if he does end up with the Rams they should give you an award. Like the draft, but they will go guard before Thomas at 6 plus Thomas won't be ready until 2015. I could see the Rams taking two guards if you include Thomas because Matthews with play tackle IMO.

The trade with Atlanta is not only very likely, but the compensation is realistic as well.

8. Mojo Ram On double secret probation

Solid.

9. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

I like the 2nd round picks.

10. The Rammer ESPN Draft Guru

Nice Mock! I love me some Brett Smith! he'd be a fine late rd. QB to pick up that will probably be a steal with him being under the radar. You can never go wrong with drafting a guy names ' Gator'! lol

jrry32 likes this.
  11. brokeu91 Well-Known Member

I think Thomas will slide because of the injury, but do you really think he'll slide till the end of the 6th round? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm actually asking. Even Lattimore, who had a big knee injury (at a position where that can be even more important) went in the 4th.

12. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Probably not if I'm being honest, Brokeu.