Jrry32 Post-Senior Bowl Mock Off-Season - 2/3/18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought I'd toss out another possible scenario. I've finally had some time to review some tape on prospects.

Cut
WR Tavon Austin
ILB Mark Barron

I don't see anyone trading us anything for Austin. Barron played well for us, but we can find a better fit for our scheme at a cheaper price.

Re-Sign/Extend
DT Aaron Donald
WR Sammy Watkins
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
S LaMarcus Joyner
S Cody Davis
C John Sullivan
DT Tyrunn Walker
OLB Connor Barwin
CB Troy Hill
HB Malcolm Brown
OLB Matt Longacre
LS Jake McQuaide

Trumaine asks for too much and ends up walking. We bring Sammy back on a 3 year $30 million deal. It's a win-win for Sammy and us. Other than that, it's pretty standard except for Barwin, but I brought him back to provide a veteran presence after the Quinn trade.

Free Agency
CB Aqib Talib
CB Aaron Colvin
ILB Navorro Bowman
OLB Trent Murphy
OLB Aaron Lynch or Jeremiah Attaochu
SS Kemal Ishmael

Talib was a star in Wade's defense before and should be more affordable than Tru due to his age. I think we can get him on a two-year deal at around $9 million or $10 million per year. He's still an outstanding press corner.

I think Colvin has a lot in common with Casey Heyward. The Packers let Heyward walk to SD at an affordable because they had better CBs. Heyward thrived in SD when he was given more responsibility. I think Colvin can do the same. He's played good football for the Jaguars primarily in the slot, but with Bouye and Ramsey, the Jaguars aren't going to push hard to re-sign him. I think he'll be affordable, and I think his best football is ahead of him. At 6'0" 195, Colvin is versatile enough to play inside and outside.

Bowman is brought in to play the thumper role next to Ogletree. We give him an affordable, short deal to bring leadership and run-stuffing ability. I think he'd be a good guy to have in the locker-room.

We give Murphy a "prove it" contract. He went down in the preseason with a season-ending injury and was popped for PEDs. The suspension isn't an issue because it was served while he was on IR. However, with the injury and suspension, I don't see Murphy getting any lucrative long-term offers. He recorded 9 sacks in 2016, so he'll have an opportunity to set himself up for a solid payday with another productive year.

Lynch or Attaochu are fliers. We take a shot on one of the two to see if they can tap into the potential they have. Both have shown the ability to be productive pass rushers in the past.

We add Ishmael as depth behind John Johnson. Ishmael is a great tackler and a solid player at SS. He's also an outstanding special teamer and would provide value for us there.

Trade
Rams trade OLB Robert Quinn
Jets trade Round 2 Pick #5

The Jets have no edge rushers. Quinn put up 9.5 sacks in 2017 and can still win the corner. He's also under contract at an affordable 2 years $23 million at just 27 years old. Why do we let Quinn go? With the Donald extension happening this off-season, it would behoove us to free up some cash on defense.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #23 - Hercules Mata'afa OLB Washington State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLEnRUdIxo

Round 2 Pick #5 - Tim Settle NT Virginia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8RjWeQNzw

Round 3 Pick #23 - Shaquem Griffin ILB/OLB UCF

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jFL3W1Z7E

Round 4 Pick #23 - Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zZaO_TpMYo

Round 5 Pick #23 - Darius Phillips CB Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHTQLLIALbg

Round 6 Pick #20 - Quinton Flowers HB USF

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY7UZFbFERc

Round 6 Pick #21 - Scott Quessenberry C UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrruoBYB0o

Round 6 Pick #23 - Khalid Hill TE/FB Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_CLT3CAz4c

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Sammy Watkins
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Tim Settle
DT: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Hercules Mata'afa
WILB: Alec Ogletree
SILB: Navorro Bowman
SOLB: Trent Murphy
LCB: Aqib Talib
RCB: Aaron Colvin
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: John Johnson III

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thank you Counselor nice read and it seems that most have Settled in on Tim Settle as the next NT for the Los Angeles Rams...You covered all areas of concern including CB with the signings of Talib & Colvin as to the draft, interesting selection of Flowers and I only watched one game he played and that was against UCF in a loss, but he personifies everything you want in a football player and is all about we not me.

Khalid Hill can flat out block seen it many times over and love the kid from Washington State, but again, I don't see the Jets trading a 2nd rounder for Quinn, agreed they need pass rushers, but IMHO, the best the Rams could get for Quinn is a 4th because the closer you get to the draft, teams over value their draft choices for better or worse.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I really like the commitment to stopping the run and adding much needed CB depth.
Not having to count on Webster to start is the correct decision.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you Counselor nice read and it seems that most have Settled in on Tim Settle as the next NT for the Los Angeles Rams...You covered all areas of concern including CB with the signings of Talib & Colvin as to the draft, interesting selection of Flowers and I only watched one game he played and that was against UCF in a loss, but he personifies everything you want in a football player and is all about we not me.

Khalid Hill can flat out block seen it many times over and love the kid from Washington State, but again, I don't see the Jets trading a 2nd rounder for Quinn, agreed they need pass rushers, but IMHO, the best the Rams could get for Quinn is a 4th because the closer you get to the draft, teams over value their draft choices for better or worse.

Quinn is still a pass rusher in his prime. They're quite valuable. I think we can get a second or a third plus something else if we trade him. There are too many teams desperate for an edge rusher, and Quinn is on an affordable contract.

I struggled to trade him. I really went back and forth on it.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #23 - Hercules Mata'afa OLB Washington State

@jrry32, May I ask what you see in him that warrants a First round selection? What makes him better than Sam Hubbard or Ogbonnia Okoronkwo?

Also, I guess you are confident in Griffin's tacking ability at the NFL level considering his lack of a left hand?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love the addition of Griffin in this mock. Missing a left hand doesn't mean anything when you're as productive as he was. Also a fan of Hercules, if only for his badass name.

Not a fan of Talib, but I can see why you put him there.

All in all? Excellent work.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32, May I ask what you see in him that warrants a First round selection? What makes him better than Sam Hubbard or Ogbonnia Okoronkwo?

Explosive athlete with an elite get-off. Shorter player who can dip under bigger OTs. Has the strength, football IQ, and toughness to play the run. Great production with an outstanding motor. He reminds me a lot of Melvin Ingram. I had some doubts about Melvin at OLB because he played DT at South Carolina. He's thrived there in the NFL. Hercules has the same traits that make Melvin such an effective NFL player.

Also, I guess you are confident in Griffin's tacking ability at the NFL level considering his lack of a left hand?

I can't doubt Griffin after seeing his film. He's a film junkie (he put a mattress in the film room at UCF before the season and slept there some nights) who appears to have great athleticism and instincts. He's always around the ball. He's always in the right spot. He absolutely flies to the football. He's a converted safety who dominated as an edge rusher and off the ball LB. I could see him at ILB and as a 3rd down edge rusher at OLB. If he wasn't missing a hand, he'd be a first round pick. I expect him to do quite well at the Combine. I won't be a bit surprised if he runs in the 4.50 to 4.55 range.

This is a kid who allows his limitation drive him to be the best. At minimum, he'll be a great special teams player in the NFL, but I think he'll be a great LB. Yea, the hand could limit him at times, but everything else he has/does will more than compensate.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
So you have us pairing Hercules and a Samson? Heck were set now my friend!!!!!!
BTW speaking of Samson Ebukam is this Hercules guy that much better as I recall that we got Ebukam in the 4th round.

Great job overall......
~ArkyRamsFan~

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW speaking of Samson Ebukam is this Hercules guy that much better as I recall that we got Ebukam in the 4th round.

Great job overall......
~ArkyRamsFan~

Yea, Hercules is a much more developed player than Samson. But I like Samson. I think he'll be a solid starter for us.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Great job overall......
~ArkyRamsFan~

Just don't let anyone cut Samson's hair or allow Hercules to marry. Good 'ole Herc murdered his first wife and children and later his second wife poisoned him, ... not sure either would fit under McVay's we, not me philosophy. :palm:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's kind of early for me but I like that you added one of my favorite players in this draft in Darius Phillips. I know he is short but do you really think he lasts that long?

Overall that would be a good off-season.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I've read about Shaquem Griffin. Seems like a good kid and looks like a very good player. Plenty of linebackers with two hands struggle to tackle properly (see Alec Ogletree at times - so frustrating to watch).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Griffin's probably gonna be available much later than round 3. I wouldn't touch him that early, there will be better players all over the board there.

Also I suspect Mata'afa will be around much later than where he's taken too, as he's not going to run well and isn't as rangy either as most of the OLB types that will slot above him. I like his film a lot, he's physical and disruptive, but how will he translate in space, i.e. setting edge & contain at this level meh. He's not a day one dude IMO. But you might have something there with him Jrry in that maybe the Rams see him being a thumper inside for them on the strong side, in a later pick of course.

Lastly I agree on the waffling on Quinn, he's a really tough decision for the Rams. So many rusher types bounce back, and age well, and he's really young still. His back's like a time bomb, but sorta leaning towards expecting the Rams to keep him now. It's a tough one and that decision relate to how much they like the OLB types there at 23...

IF they think Key is going to be ok (i.e. he interviews well with them and the background stuff), and they have a good rationale for Landry's dropoff last season, then the OLB position will be enormously valued for them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Griffin's probably gonna be available much later than round 3. I wouldn't touch him that early, there will be better players all over the board there.

I wouldn't gamble with him. He has the film of a first round pick.

Also I suspect Mata'afa will be around much later than where he's taken too, as he's not going to run well and isn't as rangy either as most of the OLB types that will slot above him. I like his film a lot, he's physical and disruptive, but how will he translate in space, i.e. setting edge & contain at this level meh. He's not a day one dude IMO. But you might have something there with him Jrry in that maybe the Rams see him being a thumper inside for them on the strong side, in a later pick of course.

I thought the same about Melvin Ingram, and he went top 20. I expect Hercules to go in the top 40 picks. Pass rushers are valuable, and he can get after the QB. I'm not worried about him setting the edge. He'll be able to handle it. I'm not putting a kid with his skill-set in the thumper role. That kid should be rushing the passer.

Last edited:

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
The games I saw Mata'afa in, he really jumped out and impressed. He has amazing quickness and that alone is gonna make him a problem.

I like Griffin, but man... 3rd round is a tough sell. The story and tape are great.

On one hand (no pun intended) you look at what he can do and love his ability. On the other, he has a hell of a hill to climb here. The NFL transition is gonna be interesting with him, but I guess at some point you have to stop worrying so much about what me MIGHT not be able to do, and look at what he can do and already has done. I thought it was silly for people to knock Russel Wilson years ago for 4 inches of height, and while it's definitely a different case here, it's the same idea. If there is a player that jumps out that much, you might just have to deal with it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The games I saw Mata'afa in, he really jumped out and impressed. He has amazing quickness and that alone is gonna make him a problem.

I like Griffin, but man... 3rd round is a tough sell. The story and tape are great.

On one hand (no pun intended) you look at what he can do and love his ability. On the other, he has a hell of a hill to climb here. The NFL transition is gonna be interesting with him, but I guess at some point you have to stop worrying so much about what me MIGHT not be able to do, and look at what he can do and already has done. I thought it was silly for people to knock Russel Wilson years ago for 4 inches of height, and while it's definitely a different case here, it's the same idea. If there is a player that jumps out that much, you might just have to deal with it.

Trust the tape. He's a converted safety who is always around the ball, always in the right place, and can run sideline-to-sideline. On top of that, he's a film junkie who has shown the ability to give OTs absolute fits. Other than his missing hand, I don't see much separating him from Haason Reddick, who went first round last year. If anything, Griffin has more experience in coverage and as an off-the-ball LB. Look past the hand, and you'll see a kid who is going to be an absolute terror as a WLB or ILB at the next level. His tape reminds me of Lavonte David's.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Griffin’s tape just JUMPS out at you with the cues that he can transition well to the pro game. Won’t matter where he’s drafted, he’s going to get a nice second contract in the league.

I want the Rams to draft him and then tell him he can’t make the Pro-Bowl as a rookie (and then sit back and watch him do it in stunning fashion)

And as JPP has shown, you don’t need a hand to play. Difference is that this kid has been proving everyone wrong since he was four.

Griffin is gonna be SPECIAL. I dunno about AD/Gurley/Hekker special, but I could see him surpassing AO by his second season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bowman has a lot left in the tank. I’d love to get him in horns and let him get some payback on the 9ers.
Flowers is such a great story, and I’d love to be the team that puts a flyer on him

Ram65

Legend
I like Bowman too but, I think he wants to stay in the bay area. You never know.

Great approach to rebuild the defense Jrry.