Jrry32 New Look Mock - 2/12/2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a bit of a new look off-season as it's different from stuff of the recent stuff I've did...and somewhat the same. I didn't add in comp picks because they haven't been announced or the Colts pick because we don't know the specific pick yet. This is one take on what I, JRRY32, would do as Rams GM.(I'm not trying to guess what the Rams will do)
Re-sign
Tim Barnes C - ERFA Tender($570,000)
Rodger Saffold OG - 5 years $35 million($5 million first year cap hit)
Jo-Lonn Dunbarr - 2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year cap hit)

Release
Cortland Finnegan CB - $4 million in cap relief(not counting the offset pay he receives in FA)
Harvey Dahl OG - $4 million in cap relief
Scott Wells C - $4.5 million in cap relief
Mike Person OG - $645,000 in cap relief
Jermelle Cudjo DT - $900,000 in cap relief

Analysis: The cuts are pretty typical and expected at this point. We bring back both Saffold and Dunbar as Saffold's play at OG was stellar, he's young and his chemistry with Barksdale is important. Dunbar has experience in Williams's scheme and is a good run stopper.

Free Agency Cap Room - $9.8 million

Free Agency
Richie Incognito OG - 1 year $1.5 million

Analysis: Initially, I was apprehensive about signing Incognito but after reading the texts, I think I was wrong about him. He's still a manchild but he didn't treat Martin the way Martin claimed. It makes me feel more comfortable signing him. We sign him to a 1 year prove it deal because we need to replace Dahl's nastiness on the interior and Incognito is a major upgrade on Chris Williams.

Trade
Rams trade:
Pick #2

Falcons trade:
Pick #6
Falcons 2nd
2015 2nd

Analysis: Falcons are a team that are wanting to win now. The Rams are willing to deal with them due to our front office ties and our interest in trading down. We can't get them to pony up a 2015 1st but we do get a 2015 2nd. Atlanta moves up for Clowney and we're okay with moving down to #6.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #6 - Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
Analysis:
With us adding Incognito and re-signing Saffold, our need for an OL here has decreased enough to where Watkins becomes better value than Matthews. Watkins gives us a #1 type threat with explosive deep speed, the ability to attack the ball away from his frame and dangerous run after catch skills. Sam manages to get both his upgrade on the OL and his weapon.

Round 1 Pick #13 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Analysis:
Donald is undersized at 6'1" 288 but don't judge the book by its cover. He is extremely developed physically due to a strong work ethic and commitment to the weight room. He is deceptively powerful with an explosive first step, elite balance and a great understanding of how to attack the OL in front of him. Wreaked absolute havoc this year when he wasn't double and triple teamed. I don't care if some believe this is early. I have him rated as a top 5 player in this draft. The film speaks for itself.

Round 2 Pick #6 - LaMarcus Joyner FS Florida State
Analysis:
I like to go back multiple times and review film on players throughout the off-season before the draft to take emotion out of it. Went back and re-watched Joyner's film going back to 2011, I fell in even more love with him. This kid is the TOTAL package. He has top tier athleticism, great range, is always around the ball, can blitz, will knock you out, is fearless, will take on and defeat blockers and he can man up and cover WRs, TEs and HBs 1 on 1. This is the do it all safety...I don't care that he's in a 5'8" 195 pound body. On film, he's a far superior player to Calvin Pryor and Haha Clinton-Dix.

Round 2 Pick #12 - Jason Verrett CB TCU
Analysis:
Rumor is that he'll fall due to being undersized. Good. Verrett is silky smooth, feisty, has natural cover skills, great ball-skills, tackles well and can play in the slot and outside. He plays bigger than his listed 5'10" 180 and the guy is very arguably the best pure cover CB in this class. He gave players like Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Antwan Goodley, Eric Ward, etc. absolute fits this year.

Round 3 Pick #11 - Brandon Thomas OG/OT Clemson
Analysis:
The Rams need to keep in mind our injury issues on the OL. Jake Long has an injury history and so does Saffold. Thomas is a player with the versatility to play either tackle or guard spot. Ultimately, he'll be developed to replace Incognito but he gives us valuable depth in case Saffold, Long or another OL goes down with an injury. He has been compared to Brian Waters as an OG prospect.

Round 4 Pick #10 - Charles Sims HB West Virginia
Analysis:
I have some concerns about our HB situation with Stacy's problems with getting nicked up and none of our HBs being good receivers. Sims is a slasher type HB with the speed to take it to the house, the body and experience to carry the load if Stacy goes down and the shiftiness to be a nice change of pace to the wrecking ball that Stacy is. Most of all, though, Sims has exceptional hands for a HB and is a natural receiver out of the back-field. With Faulk, we all saw how much of a threat a great receiver out of the back-field can be.

Round 5 Pick #13 - Christian Kirksey ILB/OLB Iowa
Analysis:
Kirksey had a strong senior bowl week showing a well rounded skill-set and good instincts. He is technically polished and just a sound overall football player. However, his stock will likely drop a tad due to him not possessing stand out traits athletically that will earn him combine hype. Regardless, the Rams need some reliable depth behind Laurinaitis, Dunbar and Ogletree.

Round 6 Pick #12 - Brett Smith QB Wyoming
Analysis:
We grab a developmental QB to play behind Sam. Smith somehow didn't get invited to the combine as an early entrant in the draft. He has a bit of a gunslinger mentality despite having average arm strength but he has impressive mobility and is very good at escaping the rush. He also flashes really good ball placement. He reminds me a lot of Jake Plummer.

Round 7 Pick #11 - Trey Millard FB Oklahoma
Analysis:
Millard is a hyper athletic FB from Oklahoma. He can lead block, catch the ball out of the back-field and run with it effectively. He appeared to be well on his way to being a 4th round pick due to his freakish athleticism for a 6'2" 255 pound FB but he tore his ACL during the 2013 season. Still, he has a lot of potential as a weapon and lead blocker in the NFL.

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Trey Millard
XWR: Sammy Watkins
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Richie Incognito
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Jason Verrett
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

What do you guys think?

ausmurp

Starter
Great draft, I love this. I know you said you weren't being realistic to what you think the Rams will do, but they could very well do this. I like the evening out of picks, even though you did have 3 defensive players in a row, you came back and drafted 2 offensive players next.

I agree with flv, if this was our draft, we would immediately cut Langford after I think. Which would free up more room for the ever underrated FA rush that happens after the draft. I think Bradford will be fine though not worried about that. But with more cap room free after the draft, we could sign another OL, WR, or FS, as some older yet still good players should be FAs at this time...love it.

Incognito a 'manchild." I LOLd at this, so true and so funny. He reminds me of a overgrown adult Cartman from Southpark. Hhahahaahahhaha.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes. If Donald earns the job. Plus, we rotate our DLs a lot anyways.

I'm not sure what you mean? If you're talking about Incognito, yes.

I guess Pettis would have to go but I'd try to keep 6.

Bradford isn't missing the first 5 or 6 games.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
No way Langford gets cut, who would our #3 DT? Cutting him just creates another hole IMHO plus what is the dead cap hit if we cut Langford ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way Langford gets cut, who would our #3 DT? Cutting him just creates another hole IMHO plus what is the dead cap hit if we cut Langford ?
Like $2 million.

The dead money isn't the issue but I agree. If Donald did take his job, Langford would still be valuable depth in 2014.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A little too thin on the oline, for my taste.

But solid players added! Nice variation!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little too thin on the oline, for my taste.

But solid players added! Nice variation!

I made an error. I meant to add Justin Britt as a swing tackle in the 5th but when I copied and pasted it over, I forgot to remove Kirksey so I glossed over it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Free Agency
Richie Incognito OG - 1 year $1.5 million

Analysis: Initially, I was apprehensive about signing Incognito but after reading the texts, I think I was wrong about him. He's still a manchild but he didn't treat Martin the way Martin claimed. It makes me feel more comfortable signing him. We sign him to a 1 year prove it deal because we need to replace Dahl's nastiness on the interior and Incognito is a major upgrade on Chris Williams.
I love the idea of bringing Richie back. Let's become the nastiest team in the NFCW, within the rules of course.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Im sure richie will have to go to some sensitivity training and other crap like in order for a team to publicly push for, and sign him.

Give Richie a guaranteed one year deal worth vet. Minimum with a team option of 4 million on his 2nd year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
jrry32 you're simply the best, but IMO I need to see a mock by you factoring out Saffold because IMO I think he's gone also there is no way the Rams sign Incognito. In fact, I would not be shocked if he's not on a team come training camp.

He could end up being like Chad Johnson where if he is signed, he has to keep his mouth shut and stay out of trouble, but something will happen because Incognito just can't shut up or not hit send! IMO he's also been overrated, he does run block well, but does not pass protect well and is not worth the aggravation.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Richie will be playing before Martin. Richie is an idiot but Martin is soft and viewed as a snitch/backstabber by the players as reported by espn

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32 you're simply the best, but IMO I need to see a mock by you factoring out Saffold because IMO I think he's gone also there is no way the Rams sign Incognito. In fact, I would not be shocked if he's not on a team come training camp.

He could end up being like Chad Johnson where if he is signed, he has to keep his mouth shut and stay out of trouble, but something will happen because Incognito just can't shut up or not hit send! IMO he's also been overrated, he does run block well, but does not pass protect well and is not worth the aggravation.

Will do a no Saffold mock in the next the one for you. :)