Jrry32 First Mock Off-Season (12/21/19)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the season is officially over. I think we're all mad about how it ended. I almost have put a mock out a couple times, but I decided to hold off. As always, I'm not trying to guess what the Rams will do. That would be futile. Based on my knowledge of our schemes, tendencies, and philosophy, I'm going to say what I'd do if I were in the Rams' shoes.
Coaching
Replace DC Wade Phillips (retirement) with DC Dan Quinn

I'm making a couple assumptions here. First, I think Wade is going to choose retirement over being replaced.

Cut
S Eric Weddle

I wish I could cut him more than once. I'm so fed up with his performance.

Noteworthy Re-signs
K Greg Zuerlein
OT Andrew Whitworth

I am hopeful that Whit has another year left in him. If he doesn't, I'd target Cordy Glenn or Ty Nsekhe. Yes, we're letting Fowler and Littleton walk. I don't take pleasure in that, but we have to make hard decisions. Littleton's price tag is too high for me. I don't trust Fowler to live up to his contract based on his sparse track record. That might be a mistake, but it's my call. I think we land comp picks for both, which is important.

Free Agency
9184823.jpg

Christian Kirksey LB

Browns will almost certainly cut Kirksey after Mack Wilson stepped up and played well following Kirksey's injury. Kirksey has had some durability issues the past couple years, but Browns fans were really bummed when he got hurt this year. They said he was playing quite well. I think he's a great option for us for two reasons: (1) he'll be a cut who doesn't cost us a comp pick and (2) he'll be a relative bargain. Alec Ogletree is another player likely to be cut who would make sense for us (I know some of y'all weren't fans of his, but I think he could be a steal at the right price).

quinton-jefferson-jadevon-clowney-getty-620x370.jpg

Quinton Jefferson DL

I'm a fan of Quinton Jefferson. I feel like he's always disruptive when we play the Seahawks, and it bothers me because he was on our practice squad a few years ago. I think he's a great bargain signing who can play different roles on the DL. I could see him breaking out with Donald taking up so much attention.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #19 - David Woodward MLB Utah State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gbdkPJ2518

Analysis: Woodward is a complete LB. He can cover, he can run sideline to sideline, and he can play through blocks as a run defender. When he hits players, they go down. Very productive LB at Utah State. Missed half the season due to injury and is highly underrated right now due to that.

Round 3 Pick #20 - Nick Harris C Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQvM-7Q9Jo

Analysis: I did not want to like Harris because he's another small Center (like Brian Allen). But I couldn't help myself while watching his film. He's perfect for our scheme. Quick feet, phenomenal blocker on the move and second level, outstanding use of angles and positioning to create holes, and a great help blocker. A lot of starting experience and played both Center and Guard in college. I think he's a Day 1 starter here.

Round 3 Pick #41 - Josh Uche EDGE Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTCNK1ocNKw

Analysis: Uche is a bit of a project, but his tools are off the charts. He's smooth and adept in coverage, which is surprising for an edge. But he also has crazy power for a guy who is only 6'2" 250. Explosive get-off with the ability to bull 330+ pound OTs into the QB's lap. Needs to develop more nuanced rush plans, better counters, and a go-to pass rush move, but he has so much potential because he has the speed to corner and the punch/power to bully OLs.

Round 4 Pick #19 - Antoine Winfield Jr. S Minnesota

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epFOM_kkG0Q

Analysis: Winfield is a smart football player with quality instincts and plenty of versatility as a safety. Despite being undersized, he hits very hard and is quite strong. Has some man cover and ball skills as a former CB. Shows no fear flying downhill and stick his nose in on running plays. Should be a special teams demon. Leader of Minnesota defense. Can get himself into trouble by being overaggressive on play action.

Round 6 Pick #19 - Jeff Thomas WR Miami

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3z-7aS17hc

Analysis: Thomas is an interesting player. Had some clashes with the coaching staffs at Miami. However, he's got unreal talent that was held back by the bad QB play. Fast, quick, body control, and explosive leaping ability. Great return man. Catches the ball well. He has a ton of potential in our scheme and can replace Natson as the returner. Kid just needs to keep his head screwed on straight.

Round 7 Pick #20 - Tyler Huntley QB Utah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRPvOscVLE

Analysis: Good athlete with a NFL caliber arm who played quite well in a scheme with a lot of pro style components. Has had some injury issues in college and is a bit undersized, but he makes sound decisions, takes care of the ball, and possesses good accuracy. I think he'd be a great developmental backup behind Goff. Athleticism adds a new dimension, he doesn't throw many INTs, and he thrived in college in a play-action heavy scheme.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Brandin Cooks
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andrew Whitworth (might consider sliding him inside when Noteboom is healthy)
LG: Competition
C: Nick Harris
RG: David Edwards
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Quinton Jefferson
NT: Greg Gaines
UT: Aaron Donald
LEO: Clay Matthews
WLB: Christian Kirksey
MLB: David Woodward
SLB: Samson Ebukam
LCB: Jalen Ramsey
RCB: Troy Hill
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman v. David Long Jr.
FS: John Johnson III
SS: Taylor Rapp

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
RS: Jeff Thomas

spamlord

Rookie
Loved Woodward's 2018 season. Had him down as a sleeper pick. Problem is--he's had concussions in his history. Plus, no one has any info on this most recent injury. Scares me a little.

I keyed in watching Harris vs Oregon earlier this year. Agreed--a great choice to be our new center. Went up against some studly guys and played well--team leader, too. Had one shotgun snap over the qb's head, though at a key point in the game. Fantastic if we could get him in the 3rd.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was trying to think of drafting an athletic QB that could offer something in the RPO like Taysom Hill of the Saints. I was thinking someone like Jalen Hurts, that offered more upside in the passing game and you found him in Huntley.

I also like going with Dan Quinn, I feel that is the perfect replacement and it appears McVay thinks very highly of him. As to Nick Harris, I'm done with small centers, sorry, I want size. Cesar Ruiz from Michigan is my choice...6-4 319 built more like Sullivan then Allen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Quinn definitely a goner? I’d think if he is, Seattle would look to bring him back ASAP.
I know free agency hurt them but the defense got progressively worse from Richard to Norton.
Great stuff as always. If there is a silver cloud in the season being over it’s in knowing posters like you and others (@Memento @Riverumbbq @den-the-coach @OldSchool @BonifayRam @FrantikRam etc etc) will keep this place wicked interesting.
sorry if I left anyone out just going off top of my head

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is Quinn definitely a goner? I’d think if he is, Seattle would look to bring him back ASAP.

IMO, if the Falcons win their next two games against Jacksonville & Tampa (both winnable games) and finish 7-9, he could be back, if they lose one of them and finish 6-10 I believe he'll be gone.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like a lot of it. Just not sure we don't spend more picks on the OLine. It's not easy to mock trades down in the draft but I'd wager we pick up a couple more picks to spend there on day 2.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was trying to think of drafting an athletic QB that could offer something in the RPO like Taysom Hill of the Saints. I was thinking someone like Jalen Hurts, that offered more upside in the passing game and you found him in Huntley.

I also like going with Dan Quinn, I feel that is the perfect replacement and it appears McVay thinks very highly of him. As to Nick Harris, I'm done with small centers, sorry, I want size. Cesar Ruiz from Michigan is my choice...6-4 319 built more like Sullivan then Allen.

Ability is what I want. Like I said, I didn't want to like Harris because of his size, but he's perfect for our scheme.

I like a lot of it. Just not sure we don't spend more picks on the OLine. It's not easy to mock trades down in the draft but I'd wager we pick up a couple more picks to spend there on day 2.

I think the problem with this is that we'll likely only keep 9 OLs max, with 7 or 8 active on game day. In my mock, here are the OLs (in no order):
1. Whit
2. Hav
3. Edwards
4. Harris
5. Noteboom
6. Corbett
7. Evans
8. Allen
9. Competition

Unless they've already decided to cut Allen, I don't see them spending picks on OLs to compete for the 9th spot. Especially if they like Chandler Brewer.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ability is what I want. Like I said, I didn't want to like Harris because of his size, but he's perfect for our scheme.

I think the problem with this is that we'll likely only keep 9 OLs max, with 7 or 8 active on game day. In my mock, here are the OLs (in no order):
1. Whit
2. Hav
3. Edwards
4. Harris
5. Noteboom
6. Corbett
7. Evans
8. Allen
9. Competition

Unless they've already decided to cut Allen, I don't see them spending picks on OLs to compete for the 9th spot. Especially if they like Chandler Brewer.

If the Rams go with the same group of players for the offensive line, I may pass on the entire 2020 season. It’s their biggest downfall this year. They need two experienced vets even if Whitworth comes back. Relying on these unproven rookies cost them a playoff spot

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams go with the same group of players for the offensive line, I may pass on the entire 2020 season. It’s their biggest downfall this year. They need two experienced vets even if Whitworth comes back. Relying on these unproven rookies cost them a playoff spot

They won't be unproven rookies next year. We don't have the resources to throw money at a bunch of veterans.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Nice mock, @jrry32 . I don't know if I sign and draft multiple linebackers if we're moving to a 4-3, and even if we do, I'd cut Matthews as well. I'm sorry, but he's almost as done as Weddle (and yes, I wish I could cut him more than once as well). Would much rather stick to a 3-4 and see what Okoronkwo and Polite can do alongside Ebukam, if we're taking on all of those linebackers.

I'd personally trade NRC and Hill for picks and go for cornerbacks in this class. Not sure if you've scouted Luq Barcoo, but he looks incredible.

As for prospects, I think the world of Antoine Winfield, and if his son is half as good as he was, it'll be one hell of a pick. Harris is a solid pick, even as a smaller center. I do like Uche and Woodward as well.

Don't we have another compensatory pick for losing Joyner and Saffold? I don't know if it's a third or fourth, but I'm almost certain that we have one more.

I'd also go for a power back for those goalline/4th down situations instead of a quarterback. I'd much rather have a vet behind Goff anyway, and there's quite a few intriguing options that late.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't we have another compensatory pick for losing Joyner and Saffold? I don't know if it's a third or fourth, but I'm almost certain that we have one more.
We only have 1 that's for Saffold. Matthews cancels out Joyner.

Memento

Name
Jemma
We only have 1 that's for Saffold. Matthews cancels out Joyner.

Well shit. Thought that Anderson cancelled out Matthews. Guess that's one more reason why I want him gone: spite.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well shit. Thought that Anderson cancelled out Matthews. Guess that's one more reason why I want him gone: spite.
He was cut early on in the season negating that loss.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They won’t be unproven rookies. Some of them will be proven to suck though.

Outside of Brian Allen, I don't think that's true of any of them.

Nice mock, @jrry32 . I don't know if I sign and draft multiple linebackers if we're moving to a 4-3, and even if we do, I'd cut Matthews as well. I'm sorry, but he's almost as done as Weddle (and yes, I wish I could cut him more than once as well). Would much rather stick to a 3-4 and see what Okoronkwo and Polite can do alongside Ebukam, if we're taking on all of those linebackers.

I want the best DC possible. If that means changing the scheme, we can change the scheme. There's not a large difference between our 3-4 and the 4-3 Under. I don't agree on Matthews. He has some issues, but he's provided decent play this year. We don't get much cap relief when cutting him. I don't see a point. I also considered it necessary to sign/draft multiple LBs with us moving to the 4-3 and Littleton leaving.

I'd personally trade NRC and Hill for picks and go for cornerbacks in this class. Not sure if you've scouted Luq Barcoo, but he looks incredible.

I'm not keen on creating more holes that need to be filled. Teams aren't going to give us much for Hill and NRC.

As for prospects, I think the world of Antoine Winfield, and if his son is half as good as he was, it'll be one hell of a pick. Harris is a solid pick, even as a smaller center. I do like Uche and Woodward as well.

I'd also go for a power back for those goalline/4th down situations instead of a quarterback. I'd much rather have a vet behind Goff anyway, and there's quite a few intriguing options that late.

I don't see a power HB getting much, if any, use here. It would be hard to even keep that player active. As for a veteran QB, we have to pinch pennies in some areas. A rookie contract saves us money. And I like the idea of McVay developing QBs. Could net us picks down the line. As for the comp picks, here are helpful links:

Memento

Name
Jemma
I get wanting the best DC available, but Dan Quinn, IMHO, isn't even close. His Atlanta defenses have been atrocious. If we are getting an ex-Seattle DC, why not Richard? That would be my choice, at least.

Will agree to disagree on Matthews. I've seen him fail too much on contain, seen him too slow off the ball and easily handled to trust him when he's another year older.

NRC and Hill could likely net us a fourth round pick each, and Williams and Long should be able to fill in admirably, with the help of drafted corners.

As for a power back instead of a quarterback, neither Brown nor Kelly are answers, and if said powerback provides an outlet out of the backfield, that fills a need as well. As for drafting a quarterback, isn't Wolford another option?

Edit: Sorry for not quoting; my laptop is broken, and I'm using my Xbox to type this out.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get wanting the best DC available, but Dan Quinn, IMHO, isn't even close. His Atlanta defenses have been atrocious. If we are getting an ex-Seattle DC, why not Richard? That would be my choice, at least.

I am a big fan of Kris Richard. If he's an option, I'd jump on it. But I think he's going to get HC consideration. However, people need to not conflate Quinn as a HC with Quinn as a DC. Plenty of great coordinators aren't so great in the HC role. Quinn was Seattle's DC when they beat Denver in the Super Bowl and when they lost to New England. I also watched him closely when he was the Gators' DC the year before returning to Seattle. He was a phenomenal defensive coordinator (and one of the best DL Coaches in the game).

NRC and Hill could likely net us a fourth round pick each, and Williams and Long should be able to fill in admirably, with the help of drafted corners.

No, they won't. I mean no offense, but too many people are unrealistic when it comes to trade. NRC is an undersized slot CB. He's not netting us anything more than a late Day 3 pick. And Hill is a player who is scheme limited without a long track record of success. I would not bet on us getting a 4th for him. Neither of those guys net us much. They're worth more to us than another team, as long as they fit the new scheme.

As for a power back instead of a quarterback, neither Brown nor Kelly are answers, and if said powerback provides an outlet out of the backfield, that fills a need as well. As for drafting a quarterback, isn't Wolford another option?

Wolford is an option. He'll have the chance to compete. I'm not counting him out. We already have two HBs who catch the ball well (three if you count Brown). We don't need a goal-line HB. That's what Gurley already is. We can add competition at HB with a UDFA or two. But I don't see the HB position as a need. We're set there.

Edit: Sorry for not quoting; my laptop is broken, and I'm using my Xbox to type this out.

All good.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Richard got HC consideration before Dallas, but he passed on multiple opportunities, if I recall correctly. And he's local: born in California, went to Southern Cal, which makes me think he was waiting for the right job: our job.

I get that not all great coordinators make good head coaches; look at Wade. I get that Quinn was great in Seattle. But if we're going for the best, Richard is my pick.

Yeah, I get that I'm unrealistic. :p ;)I think moving on from NRC's contract is another reason why a trade would work - with whatever we get back. We still have to pay Ramsey, and I'd prefer to do it before he has a ghost of a chance to hit free agency.

Hill, I've admittedly never been a fan of.

As for a powerback who can catch, I was actually looking for a chance to get Sewo Olonilua (TCU) in horns, lawl. But I do think that running back is a need.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think RB is a need also. Malcolm Brown doesn't look as explosive as he has in the past. Ditto for Gurley but I doubt they move on from him. Brown is easier to replace and used to be a reliable pounder. I think injuries have reeled him in a bit.