Jourdan Rodrigue - How has Rams QB Matthew Stafford established timing, rapport with top WRs in Sean McVay’s offense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Jourdan Rodrigue - How has Rams QB Matthew Stafford established timing, rapport with top WRs in Sean McVay’s offense?

USATSI_16225736-scaled-e1624331133734-1024x683.jpg

By Jourdan Rodrigue Jun 22, 2021

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — For new Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford, timing has lately been everything.
Seizing upon opportune timing is a big part of the reason Stafford is in Los Angeles in the first place, after 12 years in Detroit — he requested a trade around the same time the Rams were deeply assessing their options at quarterback, then he and Rams coach Sean McVay happened to be at the same resort in Cabo, and the rest is history.

Now, Stafford’s timing will need to apply to how he runs the offense — especially one that depends on the quarterback and receivers falling into total rhythm with each other before, during and after every snap.

“The only way a guy in my position can play ‘on time’ and ‘in rhythm’ is understanding exactly what’s going on around him at all times and feeling comfortable with it,” Stafford said. “To get that, in my opinion, you can definitely look at it on a screen, look at it on a piece of paper and take your notes, but until you get out there and watch Cooper Kupp run this route or Robert Woods run that route, that’s something that takes time and in-person repetition.”

The details that need to be accounted for within a single passing play — between just the quarterback and the receiver — can feel endless, but must become automatic. Further, all of the little things the quarterback does between the snap and the moment the ball leaves his hand happen essentially as the receiver’s back is toward him.

“Within a drop, a quarterback has a lot of tools in terms of his eyes, his shoulders — where he’s trying to move guys,” Kupp said. “I think that’s the big thing, is understanding on plays: You might have two windows, you have the tight first window or you can hang on for the second window. And you have the conversation, ‘Would you rather hold this hook player away and try to zip this into the first window — or are you thinking you’re going to take him to me and hit this thing behind him?’
“So it’s kind of understanding just things like that. When am I really trying to get my eyes down? When can I anticipate the ball to get out versus certain looks? How (is he) manipulating coverages and what he feels comfortable with? Even within his drops, just seeing the nuance of using his shoulders and eyes to move guys and anticipate throws — that helps us out at receiver because now we’re really able to anticipate when that ball is coming and also get into those windows — or (move with tempo) into the windows he’s really trying to get to.”

Stafford and the Rams receivers were quite apparently stacking the building blocks of this process throughout the spring — not only increasing the amount of processing required between the two groups but also shifting at times from an emphasis on the live reps to focus on the communication between plays and how the various elements of the passing game complement each other when the rhythm is correct.

For example, veteran receivers Woods and Kupp were present for the voluntary OTAs sessions in May — which was notable because it was the first opportunity for Stafford to work in-depth with teammates after offseason thumb surgery and his cross-country move with his family. These practices were half-speed and could be stopped halfway through a play so that McVay and Stafford, and Stafford and his receivers and offensive line, could talk through the concepts. Though the sessions were not mandatory and many players trickled in and out through the two-week period, Kupp was active each day in order to build the necessary on-field rapport with Stafford, while Woods added that he often sat next to Stafford during film sessions to whisper live notes about certain throws as they watched. Rotating through the practices and reps also meant that when they weren’t working into the live action, receivers were able to watch Stafford’s movements more closely.

“Invaluable reps, really,” Kupp said. “Obviously as an offense, having a new signal caller out there — just being able to see the field with him, trying to understand the things that he’s seeing and how he’s analyzing things on the go. … Everyone has a different nuance to how (he) wants to play certain concepts, the throws that (he) leans on, the throws (he) wants to make, things you want to see and how you want to dictate certain things. (We were) able to have great conversations, (able) to see the field through his lens and understand what Matthew wants us to do at receiver and how he wants us to run our routes, the holes he wants us to find.”
USATSI_16225731.jpg

In some seven-on-sevens and 11-on-11s, Stafford didn’t throw the ball as the route concepts unfolded before him and he mentally worked through his progressions and then workshopped the scenarios with Kupp, Woods, Desean Jackson, Van Jefferson and others. Where do his feet need to be in his dropback at a specific point in the receiver’s route? How about when they turn to present a target? What about boot action, play-action, the motions that McVay uses so often and more — how does the quarterback match his timing and movement with the receivers’ own as they progress through their route?

While the live reps are certainly the most valuable tool for both a quarterback and a receiver during this process, the required level of collaboration, communication and sharing of techniques and ideas can’t be understated.

“We’re collaborating to put the most efficient offense on the field,” Kupp said. “Whatever it takes for me, however he wants (us) to run routes … however he wants to throw the ball and manipulate coverage, whatever it’s going to look like to be the best offense we can possibly be when we step onto the field, that’s what we want to do. … It’s collaboration and being able to make sure that we’re on the same page with each other, that we’re working in tandem with each other — and that I’m doing the things that I need to do so that he’s seeing the field exactly how I’m seeing it, and we’re in those spots together.”

From Stafford’s lens, figuring out receivers’ preferences within their route tree is a part of that collaboration. Kupp, for example, has several “choice” routes built into his tree, so his decision-making in tandem with Stafford on those particular plays becomes not only crucial to Kupp’s own route run but also to the various leverage possibilities and assignments for the rest of the receivers in turn.
“We’re just trying to have dialogue,” Stafford said. “As we’re watching other guys (take second- and third-team reps), (we talk) about what we might have done in that situation — what he would expect from me, what I would expect from him. Just constantly trying to make sure that we’re on the same page and able to execute.”

Tiny details and tweaks made for the comfort of both the receiver and quarterback as they establish a feel for one another can turn into major moments in live action. At one point in the spring, Woods said Stafford approached him because he was feeling a little off about the steps in a passing concept and felt as if he might look to throw a little bit earlier than what they had practiced. Woods told him that he could adjust accordingly and would get his eyes back around for the ball without a problem. Conversely, throughout the offseason, Woods would record pieces of his own film study and send little cut-ups to Stafford that communicated Woods’ preferred catch window in which to specifically maximize yards after the catch.

“(Stafford’s) intention to listen to his receivers, wanting to still get better at his level and at his year is super big,” Woods said. “I think, from a receiver standpoint, your quarterback asking you ‘What do you want from this?’ or ‘What do you see in this route’ is super big. He’s come into our offense with some receivers who have made plays — but (is) really just trying to make us feel comfortable.”

In June, as the Rams held their minicamp — the last series of practices before breaking for the summer — Kupp and Woods especially orbited around Stafford at alternating times and in between his reps in seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills, play cards in their hands.

They were not practicing live but were in near-constant communication with Stafford — troubleshooting plays and concepts, pointing out different preferences and alignments and getting feedback from the quarterback on what he felt and saw as the plays unfolded.

“The dialogue amongst one another — there’s so many things that go on in the absence of coaches and in between those white lines that is so beneficial,” McVay said. “The best teams that I’ve been a part of is where the players lead it. That’s where you have a chance to be great. We’ve got the guys in this building to be able to do those things. … I think Matthew’s natural ability to communicate with everybody … that’s a valuable thing. That’s sometimes where (my) best is to give a little bit of guidelines and then get the hell out of their way.”

Last edited:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think we at ROD as well the rest of Rams nation feel grateful to have Jourdan
as our beat writer. She imho opinion is a badass! She also has recently won the
Terez A. Paylor Emerging Writer Award winner by the Professional Football Writers of America

So I have a video that I wanted to share , that besides good Ram tidbits
also gives a personal background to Jourdan's journey to covering the Rams.
Didn't realize she previously covered the Panthers

View: https://youtu.be/oZDjLATvV-s

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

i think it's called practice.

Yeah, it makes me wonder if this is being reported because it wasn't happening before or if it's because they're trying to make a story for the new QB. Even if it wasn't happening last year doesn't mean it didn't happen in years 1, 2, and 3 and didn't get reported. This could be a really cool new development or a total non-issue. Sadly, I don't think there's a way to know.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Link from above article - "has several “choice” routes built into his tree"

******************************************************************************************************************************

Teaching Tuesdays: With the right player, choice routes can create mismatches​

teaching_tuesdays_12-1024x683.jpg

By Ted Nguyen Dec 8, 2020
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

When you have a smart, quick player who can read defenses and quickly process information, let him run a “choice” route. Especially if that player is someone you want to target in high leverage situations. You don’t have to give him a set route and hope the defense plays with the right leverage for him to get open. You can let him read the defender’s leverage instead and break into open space.
The choice route is an option route that is run about 4-6 yards (some coaches have a 10-yard version in their playbooks). There are different ways to isolate the player running the choice, either by running it on the weak side of formations or clearing out horizontal and vertical space with other routes surrounding the choice. It can be run from receivers, tight ends and running backs. The route is usually reserved for one of the team’s most reliable targets.
From Asshole Face’s playbook:
Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_12-04-33_PM.png

In this diagram, the fade by the F receiver clears out vertical space, while the shallow by the Y clears out horizontal space for the Z receiver running the choice.
Also, there are two ways to run this route. The first is the “speed to a spot” choice. With this method, the receiver runs full speed at the snap of the ball to his landmark, reads the defender’s leverage and makes his break.
Week 14, Saints vs. 49ers, 0:39 remaining in the fourth quarter, fourth-and-2
Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-50-06_AM.png

One of the most spectacular plays from last season was tight end George Kittle running a choice route on fourth-and-2 with the game on the line. San Francisco head coach Kyle Shanahan likes to run the choice concept out of the bunch. The point receiver (receiver on the line of scrimmage) ran a corner to clear vertical space and receiver Emmanuel Sanders ran a shallow from outside. Kittle released outside on his choice concept. The switch release with Sanders and Kittle can create a natural rub or communication problems between defensive backs.
Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-50-22_AM.png

The Saints were in man coverage. As Kittle got to the breakpoint, he was reading the defender’s leverage. He saw the defender play him inside, so he broke outside.
Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-50-31_AM.png

He got open and was thrown a good pass that allowed him to run after the catch. And there aren’t many better players in the NFL at rumbling after the catch.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1203787269414350848

The second way to run the choice route is with a “pause or bounce” in which the receiver running the choice is taught to “miss the count,” meaning he doesn’t explode into his stem as soon as the ball is snapped. Instead, the receiver will pause after the ball is snapped and take a second to read the defense and let the defense sort itself out. If it’s zone, he’ll try to find the soft spot. Oftentimes, choice concepts are run out of bunch or stack alignments and defenses will switch their man assignments after the snap. With a pause, the receiver can wait to see which defender will match up on him, so he knows whom to read.

Week 11, Buccanneers vs. Rams, 3:17 remaining in the third quarter, third-and-5

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-50-51_AM.png

Here, Rams coach Sean McVay called their choice concept out of a bunch with slot receiver Cooper Kupp (No. 10) lined up onside running the choice. The point, Josh Reynolds (No. 11) ran a slot fade to clear vertical space, while Robert Woods (No. 17) ran a shallow to clear horizontal space.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-51-03_AM.png

As the ball was snapped, you can see Reynolds and Woods are already running their routes though Kupp is still in his stance. The Buccaneers were in man coverage but had to let the other routes clear out and confirm who would match up with him. After a second, it became clear that outside cornerback Carlton Davis (No. 24) would be matched up on him.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-51-10_AM.png

Kupp got to his breakpoint and stuttered and waited for Davis to declare where he would go. He saw Davis step inside, so he already knew he was going to break outside, but the reason he gets so open on these routes is because of his patience. He set up Davis with a hard inside before breaking back outside.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-51-17_AM.png

Davis bit even harder inside and Kupp had him completely turned around and created a ton of separation.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-51-28_AM.png

He had more than 5 yards of separation on a short route against one of the better corners in the NFL. The ball is thrown late because quarterbacks have to wait until the receiver makes a decision before throwing the ball. They can’t anticipate and throw at the breakpoint like they would on a set route. Still, this ball was thrown a beat late, but it didn’t matter because of all the separation Kupp created.

First play in this highlight (also, several other choice routes in the clip):

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1332866872497287168

Another way to isolate a receiver on the play is to run it to the weak side of the formation. Oftentimes, running backs will release to the weak side and run the option route. This is a great way to do it if you have a smart running back who is quick, can run routes and catch because they can be complete mismatches for slower linebackers.

2019 Week 10, Raiders vs. Chargers, 3:53 remaining in the fourth quarter, second-and-10

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-51-38_AM.png

Here the Chargers were in a combo coverage called Cover 3-mable. To the strong side of the formation (three-receiver side), the defense played Cover 3 zone. To the weak side (one-receiver side), they played man coverage with the corner locked on to the receiver. In this game, running back Jalen Richard was gashing the Chargers in the passing game, so they had safety Jaylen Watkins match up on him.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-51-46_AM.png

The Raiders had tight end Darren Waller run an over route to occupy the inside linebacker and clear space for Richard. Against zone, Richard also has the option to sit in open space.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-51-56_AM.png

Richard read man coverage. Watkins played heavy outside, so Richard cut inside at a 45-degree angle.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-08_11-52-06_AM.png

Receivers are taught to try to break inside with speed against man coverage to try to create an explosive play. If there is a help defender inside, it’s the quarterback’s job to lead them away from a big hit by throwing behind them or throwing low to the ground, so they could protect themselves. Quarterback Derek Carr saw no one inside and hit Richard in-stride, which allowed him to run after the catch.

With the prevalence of spread formations and the emphasis on getting quick players in space, choice concepts are an excellent way of creating mismatches and maximizing those mismatches. It takes time and practice to perfect but it’s an excellent tool for any offense, and a lot of the best offenses in the NFL heavily use choice concepts on third and fourth downs.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it makes me wonder if this is being reported because it wasn't happening before or if it's because they're trying to make a story for the new QB. Even if it wasn't happening last year doesn't mean it didn't happen in years 1, 2, and 3 and didn't get reported. This could be a really cool new development or a total non-issue. Sadly, I don't think there's a way to know.
I'm sure it's the same process as McVay brought from the beginning.
It's just with a new QB, the teaching process has to be the same as it was in McVay's
first year.
Same as Brady had to go through last year. New QB. new install, so you start at page one.

oldnotdead

Legend
What all this illustrates is a poor fit between HC and QB in terms of temperament and style of play. Remember McVay isn't invested in Goff as "his" QB. The incident related about Sean not wanting to be invested in Goff's development is extremely telling and says more about McVay than Goff. It shows how McVay essentially gave up on Goff. It's why I've been saying the trade was a good thing for McVay who now has "his" QB, Stafford on a winning team, and Goff who has a coach taking the time to invest him into the offense. Something not done by McVay with Goff but he's doing with Stafford.

What's done is done and all that matters is that Stafford makes the Rams a truly elite team and Goff has room to grow and develop with a GM who knows what he needs.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'm sure it's the same process as McVay brought from the beginning.
It's just with a new QB, the teaching process has to be the same as it was in McVay's
first year.
Same as Brady had to go through last year. New QB. new install, so you start at page one.
I figured. It just seems like they're making a story out of something they didn't before. At least not that I remember. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it is new, and like you said it most likely isn't. The sticker isn't written like it's taking a dig at (edit: stupid fat thumbs!) anyone, but it's interesting when they make a new sorry out of an old thing.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I figured. It just seems like they're making a story out of something they didn't before. At least not that I remember. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it is new, and like you said it most likely isn't. The sticker isn't written like it's taking a dig at (edit: stupid fat thumbs!) anyone, but it's interesting when they make a new sorry out of an old thing.
It's Jourdan. She is the new Rams beat writer. She is way more in depth than
anyone I have read. It's slow right now too. So she is trying to find anything
she can to write about.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
she can to write about.
Think about how much we would know if we had quality reporting like this from the time McVay started.

jjab360

Legend
she can to write about.
Apparently she's the reporter that Cam Newton was referring to when he said it was funny to hear a female talk about football lol

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Apparently she's the reporter that Cam Newton was referring to when he said it was funny to hear a female talk about football lol
Awesome! I had forgot all about that. Great catch.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Goff was learning how to be an nfl qb and learning McVay as was everyone else so I would imagine the kind of collaboration in this article happened in a different way. Goff , I imagine, learned his receivers’ preferences over time. Stafford’s situation is different, he has to figure out everyone’s likes and dislikes at a more accelerated pace. So did this kind of thing happen with Goff? I don’t think a rookie approaches it like a guy who’s been the league for a while and once Goff had the experience I would guess Kupp and Woods had a good understanding of how Goff was going to run the offense.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Ahh that makes sense. I knew she was from Carolina but didn't make the connection.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think Carolina appreciated her drive and desire to write meaningful and in-depth articles. She was an outstanding pickup for us. Gets into it. Wants to push for more and probably drives the staff and front office nuts. I love that about her. She has the drive of a fan like us and uses that position well.

As to the option routes I have wanted a TE who can do that for years. When it is taught the focus is on running up onto the DBs feet and forcing them to commit, then taking the other option. Most guys can't do it well, you gotta have great feet and instincts. So not a surprise Kupp excels at it.

But it can be hard on the QB, an additional level of complication on top of his reads. Either way I love what I am hearing in this honeymoon period. So pumped for this season and this offense is gonna conjure GSoT comps.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, that's hilarious!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Carolina appreciated her drive and desire to write meaningful and in-depth articles. She was an outstanding pickup for us. Gets into it. Wants to push for more and probably drives the staff and front office nuts. I love that about her. She has the drive of a fan like us and uses that position well.

As to the option routes I have wanted a TE who can do that for years. When it is taught the focus is on running up onto the DBs feet and forcing them to commit, then taking the other option. Most guys can't do it well, you gotta have great feet and instincts. So not a surprise Kupp excels at it.

But it can be hard on the QB, an additional level of complication on top of his reads. Either way I love what I am hearing in this honeymoon period. So pumped for this season and this offense is gonna conjure GSoT comps.
I'm really impressed by her, and seriously, I never thought I'd say that about a female sports journalist. That's a little sexist, I know, but I always felt that this game is understood more completely by men who have played it (at whatever level). She understands the intricacies of the sport better than I do, and especially better than underwater squids, like @thirteen28....

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm really impressed by her, and seriously, I never thought I'd say that about a female sports journalist. That's a little sexist, I know, but I always felt that this game is understood more completely by men who have played it (at whatever level). She understands the intricacies of the sport better than I do, and especially better than underwater squids, like @thirteen28....

Once again, the jealousy and envy of the skimmers for those of us that were the elite of the fleet strikes again ... only one way to deal with it:

(Fire control ... match bearings and shoot!)

1624470111486.png