Jon Gruden Wants To Coach Again(Turned down Rams job)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Beginning of the end. That and spags punting the ball away two scores down.

Ram65

Legend
Who really knows what Gruden is thinking but Gruden. That may not even be a sure bet. This was a hot topic on local Phila radio. They mentioned Dick Vermeil as a coach that could come back after a long absence. He needed to lighten up with practice in year three and hire Martz. I know another story.

I think Gruden is crazy to come back. He has a great deal to work half a year and make 6 Million dollars. He keeps his name out there and gets some nice PR. If the perfect job was handed to him it's possible he would take it.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, there is a clip of Gruden and Goff together at his QB camp reviewing tape and Gruden is practically doing everything but kiss Goff on the mouth, he is so in love with him!

nighttrain

Legend
Gruden, too good for my Rams? screwim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goff close to 4000 yards this season, i'm gonna guess pushing 25 td passes'
(1 to 5 the magic number of over the 25)
train

ps see Andy Dalton first year

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thing about Jon Gruden, well both Gruden brothers for that matter, is they have a good feel for staff hires. And I am convinced that the phone call to Jon (by Demoff) is part of the reason they brought McVay in early enough in the process to realize he was special and get him onboard. So in a way what I assume was a referral by Chuckie set the Rams up with what will hopefully be one of the next great coaches in this league. So I am very grateful for that.

IMO winning at this level starts with hitting on your head coach hire. If you get a guy who can attract a quality staff on both sides of the ball, who can hold down at least one side of the ball from a tactical point of view, then all of a sudden a lot more of your picks are going to "hit" and you will maximize the talent brought in through all avenues because they'll get the teaching they need to get better across the roster as you move forward.

The reason I'm so excited this year is I am certain we hit on McVay. With this guy in place the Rams are going to turn their fortunes around.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Man, there is a clip of Gruden and Goff together at his QB camp reviewing tape and Gruden is practically doing everything but kiss Goff on the mouth, he is so in love with him!

Yep. And his quote to Jared at the end was downright prophetic man.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...all-analyst-rumors/1mxngxqwaj5wo1f8y5v81l4lsi

Could Rex Ryan succeed Jon Gruden as 'Monday Night Football' analyst?
Michael McCarthy

$

(Getty Images)

When ESPN hired Rex Ryan this spring, I wasn't surprised. That's what ESPN does: Hire big-name coaches fresh off the field or court who can talk about today's players and coaching.

Now I think Ryan might be an insurance policy in case Jon Gruden bolts "Monday Night Football" to return to the NFL as a coach.

Gruden, the Super Bowl-winning coach, raised eyebrows this week during an interview in which he talked about returning to the league where he coached for 19 seasons.

"I’ve met with several people – I won't deny that," Gruden told PewterReport.com. “People — just about every year I talk about coming back to coach. I'm not in here every day at 4:30 or 4 in the morning watching pinball, you know?

"I'm preparing myself to come back. I am. Every day. I’m preparing to come back."

Say what, Chuckie?

Guys like Gruden don't say stuff like that unless they want to be courted by NFL teams seeking new coaches. Despite being away from the league since 2009, the 53-year-old could write his own ticket with a franchise.

Enter the outspoken, boisterous Ryan, who joins ESPN's revamped "Sunday NFL Countdown" this season.

The 54-year-old former Jets and Bills coach has a made-for-TV personality; he's funny and authentic. His NFL head coaching career is probably over, which makes him more likely to embrace the dark side of TV. He fills one of the most important criteria for ESPN's recent hires: He's fresh off the field.

"We also look forward to the insight and perspective he will bring to the show as an NFL coach who has worked in the league for two decades,” said Seth Markman, senior coordinating producer for ESPN’s NFL studio shows, when he announced Ryan's hire April 3.

NFL insider Gary Myers of the New York Daily News thinks Ryan could be the "next" John Madden. I agree with Myers that Ryan would be better as a game analyst than he would be as one of multiple talking heads in a studio.

Writes Myers:

"I think he will be much better doing games than in the studio. He has a lot of Madden in him: Entertaining, an everyman appeal, a big, jolly guy who doesn’t take himself too seriously and loves to talk football.

If Ryan excels in what could be looked at as a one-game audition, maybe ESPN adds him to some Monday Night games this year to prop up Jon Gruden, who has grown stale, and who knows, maybe replace Gruden next year."

Although it received a much stronger MNF schedule from the league this season, ESPN still has the weakest competitive game schedule of all the league TV partners.

Gruden might be tired of never calling a Super Bowl at ESPN. The Worldwide Leader in Sports might be tired of paying him $6.5 million per year at a time when it's cutting 100 on-air staffers and losing millions of subscribers.

That makes Gruden ESPN's highest-paid employee, according to James Andrew Miller, co-author of "Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN."

Back in 2014, Gruden signed a contract extension that will keep him at ESPN through the 2021 season. ESPN is not worried about its MNF game analyst.

"Jon remains committed to ESPN and is looking forward to the start of the Monday Night Football season," spokesman Bill Hofheimer told Sporting News.

But Gruden is still a young man compared to some NFL coaches. He's 12 years younger than the 65-year-old Bill Belichick of the Patriots and Pete Carroll of the Seahawks. Maybe that one Super Bowl he won with the Buccaneers back in 2003 is not enough for him.

I'll be watching closely to see if Ryan can fill Gruden's chair this season.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno... I was pulling for the Rams to get Gruden.