Jon Gruden Wants To Coach Again(Turned down Rams job)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is a long 5-page article. To read the article in its entirety click the link below. Posted below are some comments and quotes. For those of you who are interested in "Chuckie" or how the NFL works, enjoy!
*************************************************************************************
https://www.pewterreport.com/srs-fab-5-gruden-wants-to-coach-again-likes-bucs-playoff-chances/

Gruden Wants To Coach Again, Likes Bucs’ Playoff Chances
Posted By: Scott Reynolds

Gruden-Jon-Bucs-Look.jpg

Photo by: Getty Images

Gruden Wants To Coach Again
I asked Gruden, who turns 54 on August 17, but looks 45, if he was annoyed or flattered that his name gets attached to vacant, high profile NFL and college coaching jobs each year. Fresh off of watching some game tape for the millionth time this year, he took that question and ran with it.

“I’ve met with several people – I won’t deny that,” Gruden said. “People – just about every year I talk about coming back to coach. I’m not in here every day at 4:30 or 4:00 in the morning watching pinball. You know? I’m preparing myself to come back. I am. Every day. I’m preparing to come back.

“It helps me in my broadcasting and I think if you lose that edge … you can’t come back unless you are totally wired with college football, personnel, schemes, the CBA, how people are practicing, trends, you know. You’ve got stay on top of this stuff.”

“I love ESPN,” Gruden said. “I mean I love what I’m doing. I’m with a great team – a great group of guys. I’m still real close to the game. I still stay in contact with a lot of players and coaches at the league at every level. I don’t know if [all the talk] is flattering or irritating.

I don’t really pay attention to a lot of it. But I am – every year – preparing myself to coach. Sometimes I show up at camp and I show up in the offseason and people let me coach. I jump in drills and they still let me install plays and call plays at some places. I still have a lot of fun.”

I miss the players. I miss … I won’t deny that. I don’t want to start anything, but I say the same thing to everybody. There are very few passions in my life. The man upstairs, family and football.”

On Coaching College Football
While Gruden didn’t reveal what the right situation would be to prompt him to leave ESPN and dive back into battling the media and fan expectations in the coaching world, it won’t be in college football.

“Too many rules, man. I mean I like to work. I don’t like to be working 15 hours a week with players. The recruiting, Facebook, texting, e-mails – all that stuff. Yeah, I’d probably have you in real deep, deep trouble if I was your college coach.”

On Not Drafting Aaron Rodgers
Back in April, Gruden revealed that not drafting quarterback Aaron Rodgers with the Bucs’ fifth overall pick in 2005 was “one of the greatest regrets” of his life in an interview for ESPN.com.

“I went and watched tape with Aaron,” Gruden told ESPN.com. “I can still remember it like yesterday. I watched tape with Coach [Jeff] Tedford and Aaron. Was really impressed in the film room and then we went out right there in the stadium. We walked right outside and started playing catch to loosen him up and then you look up in the stands and here comes this strange figure walking down the aisle and Aaron says, ‘Who is that?’

I said that’s our receiver. He says, ‘Well who is it?’ I said, ‘You’ll see.’ So it’s Jerry Rice. That was pretty good. That was a great day. I’ve still got the picture hanging right here at the FFCA [Fired Football Coaches Association]. It’s a memento of why I was fired. You can see one of the greatest regrets in my lifetime.”

On Who He Would Have Drafted At QB This Season
“I’m on record … on (one of) those (ESPN) shows, they put me on the stage and said ‘Who ya takin,’ and I said ‘Mahomes,’” Gruden told the Kansas City Star. “I can’t find guys that can do what he does in terms of his overall arm talent.

“I said if I could have one guy, I’d pick Mahomes.”

On Turning Down The Ram's Job
Gruden’s name was linked to the Los Angeles Rams last December when Jeff Fisher was fired, but he turned down interest from Rams COO Kevin Demoff, who worked with Gruden as Bruce Allen’s assistant in Tampa Bay from 2005-08.

Perhaps Gruden didn’t care for quarterback Jared Goff, the first overall pick in the 2016 draft, after having him as a guest on Gruden’s QB Camp.

Instead, the Rams hired 30-year old Sean McVay, the Redskins offensive coordinator, who coached for Gruden in 2008 with the Bucs and then with Jay Gruden in Washington from 2010-16.

On His Coaching Tree
Gruden is proud of the coaching tree that he helped cultivate in Tampa Bay where several of his former assistant coaches have gone on to head coaching jobs – past or present – in the NFL.

SAPPGRUDENCELEBRATE-1-300x202.jpg

Legendary Bucs DT Warren Sapp & Jon Gruden – Photo by: Getty Images

“A lot of guys have come out of Tampa,” Gruden said. “My brother, head coach of the Redskins, he was here every year with me. Kyle Shanahan was here with me. Sean McVay was here. That’s three head coaches.

Then you’ve got Jeremy Bates and Nathaniel Hackett, who is the offensive coordinator at Jacksonville. [Mike] Tomlin got a head coaching job. [Rod] Marinelli got a head coaching job. I’m not saying it had anything to do with me, but it was us – it was the Glazers, it was the Bucs.”

The rest of the interview centers around his history with the Bucs and what he thinks of the present day Bucs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am very satisfied with McVay. Gruden would be another retread, in my opinion. I like the new guy with exciting ideas...

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
He is just looking for another raise. He will never coach again. His current work load is probably 10% of what it would be as a head coach.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Perhaps Gruden didn’t care for quarterback Jared Goff, the first overall pick in the 2016 draft, after having him as a guest on Gruden’s QB Camp.

This is what pisses me off. Conjecture like that was totally unnecessary. I hope Goff shuts these guys up, and fast. Funny, there is nobody around that loved Goff before the draft. They have all disappeared....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is a long 5-page article. To read the article in its entirety click the link below. Posted below are some comments and quotes. For those of you who are interested in "Chuckie" or how the NFL works, enjoy!
*************************************************************************************
https://www.pewterreport.com/srs-fab-5-gruden-wants-to-coach-again-likes-bucs-playoff-chances/

Gruden Wants To Coach Again, Likes Bucs’ Playoff Chances
Posted By: Scott Reynolds

Gruden-Jon-Bucs-Look.jpg

Photo by: Getty Images

Gruden Wants To Coach Again
I asked Gruden, who turns 54 on August 17, but looks 45, if he was annoyed or flattered that his name gets attached to vacant, high profile NFL and college coaching jobs each year. Fresh off of watching some game tape for the millionth time this year, he took that question and ran with it.

“I’ve met with several people – I won’t deny that,” Gruden said. “People – just about every year I talk about coming back to coach. I’m not in here every day at 4:30 or 4:00 in the morning watching pinball. You know? I’m preparing myself to come back. I am. Every day. I’m preparing to come back.

“It helps me in my broadcasting and I think if you lose that edge … you can’t come back unless you are totally wired with college football, personnel, schemes, the CBA, how people are practicing, trends, you know. You’ve got stay on top of this stuff.”

“I love ESPN,” Gruden said. “I mean I love what I’m doing. I’m with a great team – a great group of guys. I’m still real close to the game. I still stay in contact with a lot of players and coaches at the league at every level. I don’t know if [all the talk] is flattering or irritating.

I don’t really pay attention to a lot of it. But I am – every year – preparing myself to coach. Sometimes I show up at camp and I show up in the offseason and people let me coach. I jump in drills and they still let me install plays and call plays at some places. I still have a lot of fun.”

I miss the players. I miss … I won’t deny that. I don’t want to start anything, but I say the same thing to everybody. There are very few passions in my life. The man upstairs, family and football.”

On Coaching College Football
While Gruden didn’t reveal what the right situation would be to prompt him to leave ESPN and dive back into battling the media and fan expectations in the coaching world, it won’t be in college football.

“Too many rules, man. I mean I like to work. I don’t like to be working 15 hours a week with players. The recruiting, Facebook, texting, e-mails – all that stuff. Yeah, I’d probably have you in real deep, deep trouble if I was your college coach.”

On Not Drafting Aaron Rodgers
Back in April, Gruden revealed that not drafting quarterback Aaron Rodgers with the Bucs’ fifth overall pick in 2005 was “one of the greatest regrets” of his life in an interview for ESPN.com.

“I went and watched tape with Aaron,” Gruden told ESPN.com. “I can still remember it like yesterday. I watched tape with Coach [Jeff] Tedford and Aaron. Was really impressed in the film room and then we went out right there in the stadium. We walked right outside and started playing catch to loosen him up and then you look up in the stands and here comes this strange figure walking down the aisle and Aaron says, ‘Who is that?’

I said that’s our receiver. He says, ‘Well who is it?’ I said, ‘You’ll see.’ So it’s Jerry Rice. That was pretty good. That was a great day. I’ve still got the picture hanging right here at the FFCA [Fired Football Coaches Association]. It’s a memento of why I was fired. You can see one of the greatest regrets in my lifetime.”

On Who He Would Have Drafted At QB This Season
“I’m on record … on (one of) those (ESPN) shows, they put me on the stage and said ‘Who ya takin,’ and I said ‘Mahomes,’” Gruden told the Kansas City Star. “I can’t find guys that can do what he does in terms of his overall arm talent.

“I said if I could have one guy, I’d pick Mahomes.”

On Turning Down The Ram's Job
Gruden’s name was linked to the Los Angeles Rams last December when Jeff Fisher was fired, but he turned down interest from Rams COO Kevin Demoff, who worked with Gruden as Bruce Allen’s assistant in Tampa Bay from 2005-08.

Instead, the Rams hired 30-year old Sean McVay, the Redskins offensive coordinator, who coached for Gruden in 2008 with the Bucs and then with Jay Gruden in Washington from 2010-16.

On His Coaching Tree
Gruden is proud of the coaching tree that he helped cultivate in Tampa Bay where several of his former assistant coaches have gone on to head coaching jobs – past or present – in the NFL.

SAPPGRUDENCELEBRATE-1-300x202.jpg

Legendary Bucs DT Warren Sapp & Jon Gruden – Photo by: Getty Images

“A lot of guys have come out of Tampa,” Gruden said. “My brother, head coach of the Redskins, he was here every year with me. Kyle Shanahan was here with me. Sean McVay was here. That’s three head coaches.

Then you’ve got Jeremy Bates and Nathaniel Hackett, who is the offensive coordinator at Jacksonville. [Mike] Tomlin got a head coaching job. [Rod] Marinelli got a head coaching job. I’m not saying it had anything to do with me, but it was us – it was the Glazers, it was the Bucs.”

The rest of the interview centers around his history with the Bucs and what he thinks of the present day Bucs.
"BUT!!!" I see no actual Quote saying he was Offered the Rams Job, or that he turned it down and why!?!:confused:o_O I Like Chuckie But I think McVay is going to be GREAT!(y):D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
RB Cadillac Williams, Tampa Bay Bucanneers was the 2005 #5 pick. Cadillac Williams looked great early in his career, but suffered injury after injury and injury & injury. Was a Ram in 2011.

NFL statistics
Rushing
Year
G ATT YDS AVG LNG YDS/G TD
2005 14 290 1178 4.1 71 84.1 6
2006 14 225 798 3.5 38 57.0 1
2007 4 54 208 3.9 38 52 3
2008 6 63 233 3.7 28 38.8 4
2009 16 211 832 3.9 35 51.3 4
2010 16 125 437 3.5 45 27.3 2
2011 11 87 361 4.1 23 30.1 1
Receiving
Year
G REC YDS AVG LNG YDS/G TD
2005 14 20 81 4.1 15 6.2 0
2006 14 30 196 6.5 21 14.0 0
2007 4 3 17 5.6 6 4.25 0
2008 6 7 43 6.1 25 7.2 0
2009 16 28 217 7.8 22 13.5 3
2010 16 46 355 7.7 20 22.2 1
2011 11 14 93 6.6 16 7.8 0

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I call BS on him actually wanting to coach again.

He is fat and happy in the booth. Period. He's hyping himself up with this BS talk of returning to coaching. He wants his QB Camp show and his pirate face imitations to still appear football relevant. That's it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"BUT!!!" I see no actual Quote saying he was Offered the Rams Job, or that he turned it down and why!?

"Gruden’s name was linked to the Los Angeles Rams last December when Jeff Fisher was fired, but he turned down interest from Rams COO Kevin Demoff."

He doesn't say why though and as DR RAM astutely observed in his post above, it was a reach by the interviewer to conclude it was about Goff.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jon-gruden-addresses-coaching-rumors-rams-shortlist-122116

The Los Angeles Rams have begun their coaching search after firing Jeff Fisher last week, and they’ve reportedly set their sights on former Buccaneers and Raiders coach Jon Gruden.

He addressed the rumors on ESPN’s “Mike and Mike” Wednesday morning.

“I love football. I’ve said that a million times and I just want to say I’m very happy doing what I’m doing,” Gruden said. “My full attention and focus is on the Cowboys-Lions. I cannot wait for our final Monday night game. There’s a lot of chips on the table.

But right now, I have no intentions of coaching. I really enjoy what I’m doing and I feel like I’m really close to the fire. I’m getting plenty of satisfaction out of doing what I’m doing.”

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...an-mcvay-jon-gruden-organizational-assesment/

Gruden has told the Rams that he is not interested in their head coaching vacancy. The ESPN analyst did, however, speak with Los Angeles to provide an “organizational assessment” about the team.

One source said Gruden spoke with the Rams, but that the former NFL coach was acting in an advisory capacity, offering an ‘organizational assessment.'”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He didn't say why he didn't draft Rodgers. Or why he turned down they rams job.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Gruden is one of the most overrated jokers in football. He can stick to being Captain Obvious in the booth with all his clichés. I'm extremely happy the Rams hired McVay over him whether he turned us down or not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is what pisses me off. Conjecture like that was totally unnecessary. I hope Goff shuts these guys up, and fast. Funny, there is nobody around that loved Goff before the draft. They have all disappeared....

*Raises hand*
I'm still here.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I could have gone either way with Goff or Wentz, but I believe Goff can be very good...still.
I'll admit it, I wanted Wentz. But I'm happy with Goff, and I think he's going to be a Star in this League, very soon!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I haven't.

Gruden is one of the most overrated jokers in football.

I disagree, I think he is effective. He took the Bucs to the SB after that over rated flop Dungy had them in a decline and early playoff exits. 11-5 and the division crown but lost in a tight game to our guys in the NFC title game, then 10-6 as a wild card and out in the first round, then 9-7 as a wild card and out in the first round again. Gruden shows up, they go 12-4 and win the SB. Then the cap problems kicked in and they had nothing at QB.

The team they beat in the SB was his Raiders team.

Gruden has some chops IMO.

He can be annoying though and I think that makes him easy to dislike for a lot of people.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Only way he comes back is to a team with an established QB. Example: If the Colts part ways with Chuck, Gruden would accept. He knows that in this day in age, without a QB in the NFL, you can't win. His not leaving the chair for any team with a question mark around the QB. Lets face it, Goff is a question mark.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I haven't.

I disagree, I think he is effective. He took the Bucs to the SB after that over rated flop Dungy had them in a decline and early playoff exits. 11-5 and the division crown but lost in a tight game to our guys in the NFC title game, then 10-6 as a wild card and out in the first round, then 9-7 as a wild card and out in the first round again. Gruden shows up, they go 12-4 and win the SB. Then the cap problems kicked in and they had nothing at QB.

The team they beat in the SB was his Raiders team.

Gruden has some chops IMO.

He can be annoying though and I think that makes him easy to dislike for a lot of people.

It's a difficult prospect for me. He took over Dungy's team which was already the best defense in football and won the SB before promptly falling back to where Dungy previously had them. He did a solid job with the Raiders but a large part of me feels that Jon won with the team Dungy built. Keep in mind that Tony is a HOFer coach for a reason and Gruden is an announcer.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I liked Goff. With so many spread offenses and Read options in college, nearly every QB coming out has to be heavily weighed on projection because so few colleges run a pro offenses with a QB under center. So, you have to look for traits that seem likely to project. I felt Goff checked off a lot of those boxes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gruden has been out of coaching too long. It would be a mistake to get back into it. Besides, doesn't he spread this shit on the field every year around this time?