Jon Gruden optimistic about Jared Goff, Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...gruden-optimistic-about-jared-goff-sean-mcvay

Jon Gruden optimistic about Jared Goff, Sean McVay
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

jongrudenapjpg-5598ec56dbc27256.jpg

AL.com

LOS ANGELES -- Jon Gruden, the ESPN analyst who recently finished taping his eighth "QB Camp" series, isn't yet ready to make a full assessment of Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff, last year's No. 1 overall pick.

"He came out early -- a true junior," Gruden said on a conference call Wednesday. "I don't think he's a hundred percent what he's going to be physically; I still think he's going to get stronger, I think he's going to mature physically.

I do think that he went into a difficult situation. That's an offensive line that has struggled; that's a receiving corps that has struggled. And his inexperience -- I think that's a difficult combination for a young quarterback. And I think that's a big reason why they were 0-7 when he was the starter."

During that seven-game stretch to finish the 2016 season, Goff had the NFL's fourth-lowest completion percentage (54.6), fourth-worst touchdown-to-interception ratio (0.71), second-lowest Total QBR (22.2) and fewest yards per attempt (5.31).

Carson Wentz followed Goff by joining the Eagles with the No. 2 overall pick last April, immediately taking the two best quarterbacks off the board. That stands in stark contrast to the outlook for this year's draft, which brings serious questions about the ability and slotting of Mitchell Trubisky, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and Deshone Kizer.

The Rams certainly weighed the uncertainty of this year's quarterback class when they moved up 14 spots to select Goff last year, but now they have to figure out a way to get Goff right.

Enter Sean McVay.

McVay's first job in the NFL came as a coaching assistant on Gruden's Buccaneers team in 2008. His last job, as Washington's offensive coordinator the last three years, saw him work under Gruden's younger brother, Jay.

And a major reason the Rams ultimately made McVay the youngest head coach in the NFL's modern era stemmed from Jon Gruden's ringing endorsement early in their search.

Gruden believes McVay will inject "a lot of energy, a lot of optimism" into a team that has suffered 10 consecutive losing seasons and is coming off a 4-12 year.

"I just think he's going to bring a real positive, upbeat presence to the offensive side of the ball," Gruden said. "And fortunately for him, he's hired one of the best defensive minds in all of football over the last 25 or 30 years [in coordinator Wade Phillips].

I think they have a unique battery there -- a young, energetic offensive coach who's proven he can get the job done, and a very, very good, experienced defensive coach on the other side."

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There is a lot of room for improvement.
I think The Rams new coaching staff makes a huge difference this season.

I saw photos from OTA's & there conditioning is going to make a difference in itself.

I like the way they are using bands , which helps stretching & technique.
They also partner up a lot for the concept of we not me .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"I just think he's going to bring a real positive, upbeat presence to the offensive side of the ball," Gruden said. "And fortunately for him, he's hired one of the best defensive minds in all of football over the last 25 or 30 years [in coordinator Wade Phillips].

I think they have a unique battery there -- a young, energetic offensive coach who's proven he can get the job done, and a very, very good, experienced defensive coach on the other side."

This is what a lot of fans have been saying, to include myself. It's hard to imagine the difference going from a terrible OC/excellent DC to a new staff with a strong OC/legendary DC, but it's gotta be a good thing. The moment he told me in his interview that he had Wade Phillips lined up I would have hired him. I'm serious, because we all knew he blew them away.

Keep going back to Gruden's comments to Goff, though, in his QB camp series. It was almost prophetic.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Got a chance to watch the whole video thanks @Prime Time

Really pumped me up for Goff again. This kid has a chance to do great things, maybe not this year, just show us some progress. But, if he stays healthy this offense will be on the rise.

Ram65

Legend
The video was the best thing. Article not much new stuff. I know Gruden loves QB! I do think he does really think Goff is tough and smart.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I know my shyte!"
~Chuckie Gruden
MkIRcfT.png

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I will always wonder why Fisher was adverse to bringing in a top flight OC and QB for our prized, number one pick of the 2016 draft.

Or, did none of those upper echelon coaches want to work with the Fish due to his prehistoric tendencies. Leaving him to fill those critical positions with the unproven and unready.

I suspect the latter.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I will always wonder why Fisher was adverse to bringing in a top flight OC and QB for our prized, number one pick of the 2016 draft.

Or, did none of those upper echelon coaches want to work with the Fish due to his prehistoric tendencies. Leaving him to fill those critical positions with the unproven and unready.

I suspect the latter.
Most of us wondered that, but what we do know, is that it led to Fisher's demise.