Jon Gruden: A Certain Magic To Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Here's a magical QB for you

gandalf_fantasy_football_cover_by_senaro-d4hr2lp.jpg

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Here's the issue, you have to be able to apply that intelligence on the field. And I question if Manziel can.

He's coming from an offense that consisted of quarter and half field reads with a simplistic progression system and route tree. Manziel also was overly reliant on his legs to allow him to decipher the defense and far too often missed WRs running open...even WRs that were clearly his primary read on the play. To make matters worse, he is a guy that showed the propensity to force things and make bad decisions rather than taking what the defense gave him. His anticipation is highly questionable as is his ability to work through his progressions with patience in the pocket and his ability to control the offense from the LOS. On top of that, I question his ability to make full field reads in the pocket.

Manziel also played behind arguably the best OL in college football the past two years which gave him exceptional blocking and a huge pocket to work with. I was unimpressed with his instincts, eye discipline, and movement in the pocket. He's a guy that prefers to run around and bail out of the pocket rather than maneuvering the pocket, keeping his eyes down the field, and finding throwing lanes.

Additionally, Manziel has poor lower body mechanics and lacks symmetry in his upper body when going through his throwing motion.

I'm a very meticulous person. And there's just so many flaws that I see in his game that I can't get behind him.

I won't write him off either. There's no arguing that Manziel is an unique player. There's no arguing his improvisational skills, deep accuracy, ability to throw on the run, and his competitiveness. But that's not enough for me. Too many warning signs there for me. Too risky.

Very intelligent reply. You connected the dots...You nailed it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very intelligent reply. You connected the dots...You nailed it.

Thanks. And like I said, I don't judge anyone who does think he'll be great. He's a polarizing prospect but he's fun to watch and certainly has unique ability. Sometimes I'm willing to take a risk on a guy like that (Austin) even though he breaks the mold...sometimes I'm not. I just try to trust my gut.

TexasRam

Legend
Johnny is ready for the NFL

Johnny was born ready

Johnny came out of the womb ready to play football in the NFL.

Ask his mama. He was born ready.

Tell 'Em mama!