Jon Baldwin waived by Detroit Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
The Detroit Lions claimed receiver Jon Baldwin off waivers on Monday, but he didn't even make it to the practice field in Michigan.
The Lions announced they waived the wideout due to a failed physical on Wednesday.

The former first-round pick missed snaps with the San Francisco 49ers during training camp with discomfort in his left knee. One beat writer described Baldwin as "moving as if he was severely sleep deprived in practice" before his eventual release.
Last August, the 49ers acquired Baldwin from the Kansas City Chiefs for A.J. Jenkins in a trade of struggling pass-catchers. Baldwin had three catches in seven games last season with San Francisco.
Now the 25-year-old will search for a team satisfied with his knee condition and willing to give a player Bill Belichick once compared to Julio Jones one more shot.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dont' know if this is a surprise with anybody here but I remember on another forum I was on alot fo the people thought he was the next coming of the next great WR.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just goes to show you can't hit on all of them.

I liked him coming out. Not the last time I was wrong.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Dont' know if this is a surprise with anybody here but I remember on another forum I was on alot fo the people thought he was the next coming of the next great WR.
I thought the same thing. Obviously this is why I'm not an NFL GM or scout. But then again, the Chiefs had the same thought I did.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Do you think the Rams should take a look at him? We can use all the WR help available.

Remember whenever a player was released from some other team how posters would come out of the woodwork and suggest we try them out?

The tides have turned my friends. Teams will be wanting to claim our castoffs from the waiver wires!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What's up with this guy? Hard to beleive he can't at least beat out an UDFA on a weak team.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought the same thing. Obviously this is why I'm not an NFL GM or scout. But then again, the Chiefs had the same thought I did.
haha right? I would have bet my house Justin Blackmon would be a All Pro by now..... thank god I didn't go to Vegas on that one! lol

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was not high on Baldwin but I was absolutely in horror when I read a pre draft report saying that the Rams were Wowed by AJ Jenkins body control. I was so glad the 49ers grabbed him before the Rams could take him. I watched Jenkins in the Big Ten and never saw an NFL receiver.

Like everyone, I have missed on my share but these were two I wanted no part of.

safak

Game-Wrecker
Name
safak
baldwin had the measurables that stood out. tall, fast, athletic background with basketball etc..

he never stood out on the field though and his work ethic/attitude were slight question marks as well.
don't get me wrong, he was a nice player in college but watching a team that recently enough had larry fitzgerald and antonio bryant running routes(both biletnikoff winners), baldwin never stood out as a star wr.

granted fitz is a hard one to measure up against, but even the freshman(last year) tyler boyd made you get out of your chair and scream more in one year than baldwin did his entire college career. he put up ok numbers being tall and fast but didn't make things happen like any of the other 3 mentioned. a more comparable from pitt would be dallas draftpick devin street, who by all accounts has a better head on his shoulders though not as many god given gifts.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
but even the freshman(last year) tyler boyd made you get out of your chair and scream

Oh yes. Tyler Boyd is a player. I was sorely disappointed when he chose Pitt over PSU. He had that WoW thing even in High School.

TShram03

UDFA
Oh yes. Tyler Boyd is a player. I was sorely disappointed when he chose Pitt over PSU. He had that WoW thing even in High School.

My god I just discovered him thanks to this thread. Spent 5 minutes watching his highlights, reading his stats and studying his recruiting profile. He's the best WR in the nation right now.

If Sammy Watkins' forte was being smooth instead of so physically aggressive...he'd be Tyler Boyd.

Gonna be a 2016 NFL Draft favorite of mine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My god I just discovered him thanks to this thread. Spent 5 minutes watching his highlights, reading his stats and studying his recruiting profile. He's the best WR in the nation right now.

If Sammy Watkins' forte was being smooth instead of so physically aggressive...he'd be Tyler Boyd.

Gonna be a 2016 NFL Draft favorite of mine.

Boyd is a great player but lets not go overboard here. ;)

But I do look forward to him being draft eligible in the future as he has the potential to be an elite prospect. Needs to keep improving his game and consistency as well as adding weight and strength.

What's up with this guy? Hard to beleive he can't at least beat out an UDFA on a weak team.

Same reasons why he was an underachiever in college. He's an immature kid that doesn't play hard. Poor work ethic, coasted in college on his athletic gifts and was never the type of guy that wanted to impose his will. Basically, he was a big guy with measurables that played soft and didn't have the passion, drive and work ethic to succeed.

Sometimes I'm wrong about guys with those sort of issues...Dez Bryant is an example of me being wrong. I thought he'd flame out of the league. But I don't like players with attitude and work ethic issues. When I see a guy loafing on the field, especially WRs, it makes it hard for me to believe in them.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Didn't he miss some games because he hurt his hand in a locker room brawl?

Alan

Legend
LazyWinker remembering:
Didn't he miss some games because he hurt his hand in a locker room brawl?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...han-baldwin-hurts-wrist-in-locker-room-fight/
Report: Jonathan Baldwin hurts wrist in locker room fight
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 19, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
j-baldwinhaley.jpg
AP
Chiefs first round wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin was mysteriously missing from Chiefs practice on Wednesday.

A radio report in Kansas City hinted there may be more to the story, but we passed on mentioning it until more information came out. Well, it’s out now.

If Nick Wright of 610 Radio in Kansas City is right, the story is a doozy.

Wright reports that Baldwin will likely miss the rest of the preseason after injuring his wrist during a locker room scuffle with teammate Thomas Jones. Baldwin’s work ethic has reportedly been an issue.

He’s as advertised,” a source tells Wright. “Diva, spoiled, doesn’t wanna listen. Can run a Go and a Slant, and doesn’t wanna work.”

The Chiefs flew to Baltimore on Thursday in preparation for Friday’s preseason game. The team hasn’t said whether Baldwin was on the flight with them.

Baldwin was already struggling in Chiefs camp before this news came out. He looks unlikely to play much early in the year.

UPDATE: Adam Schefter confirms the story is spot on. Wright, meanwhile, believes Baldwin could be out 6-8 weeks and is very questionable for the season opener.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He's one of those guys that has all the tools to be great except he doesn't know how or want to learn how to play football.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
The Chiefs got something for nothing at least. Not that AJ Jenkins will ever amount to anything. I like to tell myself that if the 49ers hadn't have picked up AJ Jenkins the Rams still would have selected Brian Quick.