JoJo Natson Out 3-4 Weeks.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Who wants to be all my ROD DOLLARS that we see a fumbled punt or kick return in the next few weeks?

Was never a fan of Jojo trust me. But holding onto a ball during a return when you are new to duties is hard.

I'll take that bet...just because.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont get all the dislike for jojo.
Hes not great, but he does the job.
Were acting like every team has a td threat other than us.
It wasnt long ago that we had Austin gettin 30 yds sideways for a 3 yd loss.

I don't hate Natson, but his only actual value is as a good but not great punt returner. He should never again return a kickoff, and he's not a viable WR against 1st teamers, or even 2nd teamers. So that's a roster spot used for one non-premium one dimensional role player. Roster spots are too valuable for that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Natsons best value is he doesn’t fumble and were happy with that? Yes the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, but it’s nice to sometimes have it be green.

Ram65

Legend
That mistake of returning one from deep in the endzone the other day alone should have gotten him benched.

Rams winning big with the score 34-7 well into the fourth quarter. For all we know Bones could have told him to return the ball for the return team to get some practice. I don't see that as any reason to bench him on KOs either way.

I don't like him on KOs anyway.

He is good on punt returns when given a chance. Rams haven't blocked well on punt returns.

Ram65

Legend
So Natsons best value is he doesn’t fumble and were happy with that? Yes the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, but it’s nice to sometimes have it be green.

There were a number of posts during the year predicting Natson would fumble. Lot's of predicting doom and gloom on Natson. He wasn't a liability as many predicted he would be. He did let a few punts go by him. Lately, he corrected that by running up a catching the football before it hit the ground while in traffic. He had a stretch of games with some nice returns that sparked the Rams earlier in the year.

I was on the JoJo must go bandwagon before the season. Then the realization came that the Rams didn't have anyone to replace him. Taking a closer look at JoJo you see his quickness and ability to eat up yards fast on punt returns when given some space. Rams didn't block well for him this year,

I'm all for replacing him with a better alternative. Certainly, they can find a better KO returner. Hopefully, they can find a better punt returner.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
JoJo is a better punt returner than I am - but I'm not sure this wont be an addition by subtraction.

Honestly, I felt like he was more likely to turn it over than he was to set us up with a big return - but in fairness to him, the entire special teams unit has been underwhelming this year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have been waiting for that green grass, since Tony Horn left.
There are plenty of guys that have made decent careers out of being primarily a return man.

It would be nice to have a dynamic return man that also fills another role, though.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been waiting for that green grass, since Tony Horn left.
There are plenty of guys that have made decent careers out of being primarily a return man.

It would be nice to have a dynamic return man that also fills another role, though.

Yes it would. While there have been guys who have been primarily a return man, either they are better than Natson has been, or they do have some use at another position, even if just being someone on the active roster to credibly fill a backup role in case of injury. But by this stage we know that Natson is not viewed as a guy who can backup WRs, he's not a guy who you want to be a KR - he's a solid and reliable punt returner. But nothing special

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
JoJo is a better punt returner than I am - but I'm not sure this wont be an addition by subtraction.

Honestly, I felt like he was more likely to turn it over than he was to set us up with a big return - but in fairness to him, the entire special teams unit has been underwhelming this year.

The problem I have is yeah, he's fast and quick and stuff. But he can quite literally be tackled by one hand. Not one arm. One hand. He's way to small and light weight. He needs to go untouched to return a punt for a TD.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That Gnatson has created a buzz. He really flies around. Other teams think he’s a pest because he’s so small he’s hard to see. It must really bug him to be out injured. (Blue font)

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
That sucks for him but I think we've seen the last of Jo Jo as a Ram. Im excited to see what Webster and Henderson can do though.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have had posters saying that for years now.

Well, he was on the team for parts of two seasons. And last season the Rams were remarkably short of injuries, and he averaged 3 yards more per punt return. Last season the Rams had an emergency, which is why he was brought back.

This past offseason the Rams made no particular effort to bring in serious competition. I expect real competition for punt returner this year, since Natson just wasn't that good this season, and it has become apparent that the Rams need a punt returner who can actually play another position for roster insurance, not a guy who is not elite as a punt returner, and who is not seriously considered a backup anywhere else. 7.8 yards per return, with more fair catches than returns, is NOT worth a roster spot if they guy doesn't bring anything else to help the team.

Fortunately, now that the Rams have evidence that Natson is not a star punt returner, I have faith that the Rams will bring in real competition this offseason, and likely someone who is not one dimensional.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Prediction;
Natson will be back in Camp next year and returning punts and kickoffs for us as well.