Johnny Hekker won't like this, but why punt at all?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-brain-of-high-school-coach-who-never-punts/

NFL teams pick the brain of high school coach who never punts
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 14, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptjjowq0ywy1owfjotcxodjindiyytdhmgjlnzlhmtzh.jpeg
AP

Not many high school coaches are sought out by NFL coaches for advice. But Kevin Kelley is no ordinary high school coach.

Kelley, the coach at Pulaski Academy in Arkansas, has won two state championships while employing the highly unusual strategy of never punting. Kelley goes for it on fourth down, even fourth and long on his own side of the field, because he believes strongly that a football team should never purposely give up possession of the football.

That might sound crazy, but Kelley’s success has drawn the attention of the NFL. According to the Washington Post, several NFL coaches have called to discuss strategy with him, and Falcons assistant G.M. Scott Pioli recently had an hour-long meeting with Kelley.

Of course, just because it’s been an effective strategy for one high school doesn’t mean it would be an effective strategy in the NFL. Punters in the NFL are far better than punters in high school. And the talent gap between two high school teams can be huge, which means that Kelley’s offense might convert a lot of fourth downs just because his players are a lot better than the players on the opposing defense, not because his strategy of going for it on fourth down is inherently correct.

But there has been a good amount of research that indicates that NFL teams that are aggressive about going for it on fourth down tend to succeed more than teams that almost always kick on fourth down. And as NFL teams increasingly become aware of that research, they’re eager to talk to a coach who has put the aggressive fourth-down strategy into practice on the field.

Kelley is an innovative thinker about the game of football (his latest strategy is having his receivers regularly employ rugby-style laterals after they’ve caught a pass downfield), and people in the NFL are noticing. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him on an NFL staff some day. And if he is, expect his team to go for it on fourth down a lot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/

The highly successful high school coach who never punts has another radical idea
By Adam Kilgore

Kevin Kelley, the head football coach at Pulaski Academy in Arkansas, has gained renown in recent years for his gonzo football philosophy. He is the coach who almost never punts and almost always kicks onside after scores. The strategy has made his teams consistently successful and provided him minor, cultish fame. He is 77-17 at Pulaski, with two state championship appearances. It’s weird. It also works.

Kelley is a rogue, just a high school coach, but his ideas are taken seriously. He’ll be featured next week, for the second time, on HBO Real Sports. Several NFL coaches have called to discuss his strategy, he said. At the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference this spring, Atlanta Falcons executive Scott Pioli asked to meet Kelley and picked his brain for an hour.

Kelley’s philosophy hatched from his devotion to statistical analysis. The underlying math and probability made him believe that possession in football had been astonishingly undervalued, and that it was irrational to give the ball away when you had a chance to keep it. Only convention dictated normal punting and kickoff patterns. Imagine, he likes to say, if punting had never been part of football. What would fans think if a coach suddenly sent out a specialized player to kick away the ball after three plays?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3UUtMeHKsI

At that Sloan conference this spring, another statistical insight led Kelley to another radical notion, which he plans to unleash this fall. It could be crazy. It could be genius. It’s probably a little bit of both. With football season around the corner, it’s definitely fun to contemplate.

“It might be horrible,” Kelley said. “But there’s a lot of thought that went into it.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM897SI_qk4

Kelley used an ESPN database to study college football history. He found that historically, there was no bigger indicator of victory than winning the turnover margin – teams that forced more turnovers than they committed won 80 percent of the time. But last season, Kelley said, a new trend emerged for the first time: Teams that recorded more plays of at least 20 yards won about 81 percent of the time.

It made sense to Kelley – bigger chunks of yardage meant scoring quicker and less opportunity to commit turnovers and drive-killing penalties. He became obsessed with finding a system designed for big plays. He found that on plays when two players touched the ball – a typical handoff or pass – teams gained 20 yards about 10 percent of the time. But when at least three players touched the ball – a trick play with a lateral involved – the percentage for gaining 20 yards rose to around 20 percent.

“That got me thinking,” Kelley said. “How could we develop a system for more than two people to touch the ball?”

One day, watching television, Kelley stumbled across a rugby game. That was it. Rugby teams built designed plays despite constant movement, an intricate series of laterals. Teammates didn’t block for the ball carrier; they rushed to the right spot to receive a pitch.

And so Kelley instituted a new system. When he calls out “Rugby!” before an offensive series, his wide receivers change their assignment. Rather than blocking downfield, they rush toward the receiver who catches the ball. If they’re open, they yell the receiver’s name and which side they’re on. He tells his players only to pitch the ball when they’re sure it’s safe.

Essentially, Kelley’s offense will run the option – after a completed pass down the field.

But one potential glitch stands out. Trick plays usually gain more yardage because of deception rather than design. Would those plays gain 20 yards less often because the defense could prepare? Kelley understands the potential problem, but believes the defense’s expectation for a lateral would actually help his offense.

One of the hardest tasks on a football field, Kelley reasons, is open-field tackling. It’s why defensive coordinators tell their players to swarm to the ball. By changing his extra receivers from blockers to potential pitch men, Kelley hopes he’ll force extra tacklers to stay with them and give the pass receiver more space to operate.

The field would be stretched in a different way. Think about a basketball offense with strong three-point shooters stationed in the corner. Even if they never get the ball, their presence means more space for other players.

“Let’s say we could successfully complete a pitch three times a game,” Kelley said. “The guy with the ball is going to be in more one-on-one situations down the field. Even if it’s not working as well, I do think opposing coaches are going to have to change the way they defend the field.”

The other problem is that laterals will ratchet up the risk of turnovers. Kelley is even less concerned with that. If his players practice the plays, there’s no reason downfield laterals shouldn’t be precise and relatively safe.

“The downfield pass sounded risky at one time, too,” Kelley said. “Oh my gosh, you throw it in the air, whoever catches it, it’s their ball!”

Even if Kelley’s offense works this fall, it’s not going to change much outside of the Arkansas 5A-Central Conference. Despite his success derived from not punting, no copycats have sprung up at higher levels. Football coaches are too wedded to convention, scared by the knowledge that losing traditionally is safer than trying to win radically. Kelley is just fine with that.

“I don’t want anybody else doing this,” Kelley said. “With not punting and the onside kicks, I know I have a stat advantage. If this works, I want everybody thinking this is stupid, too.”

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
That is a pretty incredible high school football story and I still can't believe it was successful. However, there is no possible way that translates well to the NFL (especially when the opposing team knows it's coming and is prepared for it).

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
The whole non-punting thing for an NFL team would be pretty crazy, but I like the rugby idea. Kelley's explanation makes sense - given you use it sparingly.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
With the parity in the NFL, field position is a huge game changer that doesn't exist at the high school level.

fearsomefour

Legend
Interesting points with kickoff and 2 point conversions....

And so Kelley instituted a new system. When he calls out “Rugby!” before an offensive series, his wide receivers change their assignment. Rather than blocking downfield, they rush toward the receiver who catches the ball. If they’re open, they yell the receiver’s name and which side they’re on. He tells his players only to pitch the ball when they’re sure it’s safe.

Essentially, Kelley’s offense will run the option – after a completed pass down the field.

This however has the makings of total disaster.

fearsomefour

Legend
With the parity in the NFL, field position is a huge game changer that doesn't exist at the high school level.
Yep.
He said giving the ball to the other team while kicking the ball off (average start of the 33 yard line) vs an onside kick (average start the 47 yard line) is much different than the NFL.
Just tell Hekker to touch back every kick off and they are starting at the 20.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yep.
He said giving the ball to the other team while kicking the ball off (average start of the 33 yard line) vs an onside kick (average start the 47 yard line) is much different than the NFL.
Just tell Hekker to touch back every kick off and they are starting at the 20.

I'd much rather he continue his directional prowess. Pinning a team inside the 5 drastically changes their first series.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Having a large talent gap is the key. That IS the reason this coach has been successful with this strategy. There are huge gaps in talent at the HS level... many times even in college. But that gap is nearly erased in the NFL.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think the time that the Rams start using these crazy gimmicks (and that's what they would be in the NFL), I'll have to stock up on eggs to pelt my TV with...No thanks, for me at least...

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the time that the Rams start using these crazy gimmicks (and that's what they would be in the NFL), I'll have to stock up on eggs to pelt my TV with...No thanks, for me at least...
If they are going to do this stuff then rehire Rich Brooks....loved his lateral pass to Todd Kinchen on kick returns.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Didn't we do this one game back in 2000 or 2001 with the GSOT due to an injury?

Though the thought that you need a record breaking O to consider it reasonable tells you its long term likely success...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Didn't we do this one game back in 2000 or 2001 with the GSOT due to an injury?

Though the thought that you need a record breaking O to consider it reasonable tells you its long term likely success...

I remember that. Jeff Wilkins went down and we went for 2 on every scoring drive. It's actually one of my fondest memories of the GSOT eras. Unstoppable offense.

MrMotes

Starter
Mathematically, teams should be going for it on 4th, onside kicking and for 2 point conversions a lot more often than they do.

Slowly but surely coaches are figuring this out...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Mathematically, teams should be going for it on 4th, onside kicking and for 2 point conversions a lot more often than they do.

IIRC, Chip Kelly used to go for it ALOT on 4th at Oregon. Even he has abandoned that ship in the NFL.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Agreed.

The NFL version of going for it on 4th down would have qualifiers such as 4th and less than 10, and with field position on your own 30 or better.

But that would still be extreme. I think it more likely that a coach comes in and says if we're on the other team's side of the field, we never punt. And if it's 4th and less than 5, you don't kick a field goal either.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I am a bit confused by the idea above of going for longer plays - since they reduce turnover likelihood...since there are less plays to a score - by increasing the number of touches per play....which,I would think...increase the likelihood of a turnover since you are increasing the number "transitions" and their complexity...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Double edged sword here. I would like to go for it on 4th down more often but you have to pick your spots. And I love the occasional lateral down field. That does give the defenders a little pause in their aggressiveness. But everybody can recall saying at one time or another that that drive was killed by the coaches play calling getting a little "too fancy". Even still, I'd love to see a button hook route to Cook with a screaming Tavon taking the pitch down the sideline in the playbook.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Double edged sword here. I would like to go for it on 4th down more often but you have to pick your spots. And I love the occasional lateral down field. That does give the defenders a little pause in their aggressiveness. But everybody can recall saying at one time or another that that drive was killed by the coaches play calling getting a little "too fancy". Even still, I'd love to see a button hook route to Cook with a screaming Tavon taking the pitch down the sideline in the playbook.
Pretty much this, you gotta pick your spots with it.

Are you really going to go for broke when you're pinned on your own 2? Or up by a small margin in your own zone backed up by penalties or a sack? Punts and kicks are all part of the strategy that goes into the game. It's not superfluous as many people seem to think it to be, possession could be the difference between a win and a loss.